Author Topic: The Path of Chaos - Tomm Swamp  (Read 38035 times)

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: The Path of Chaos - Tomm Swamp
« Reply #40 on: June 04, 2013, 01:20:15 AM »
Caerus and Korgan slowly trudge back into view with the bear carcass.  Korgan looks none the worse for wear.  Caerus, on the other hand, looks exhausted.  His hands are still covered in a gooey, bloody mess, kept damp by the rain and mist.  The right side of his trousers are caked in mud from when he slipped while trying to move the bear from one shoulder to the other.

Curse this thing.  This is why I hunt small game.  I don't care if I'm a hero anymore.  I just want to rest.

Upon reaching barracks, he lets the bear slide of his shoulder.  Not having the strength to call out, he simply stumbles to the unfinished wall and leans back.  He gazes to the sky, and lets the cool rain fall upon his face.

Five minutes.  Then I can worry about cooking this monster....
Myrielle: "I think you're worth the trouble, even if the others don't."

You know life sucks when you get a back-handed compliment from a seven year old.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 04, 2013, 01:27:13 AM »
Nelio raises an eyebrow at Flip (or is it Flap). "My first point...? No, I used the edge of my blade to slice into his wooden flesh, not the point. That would involve more of a stabbing motion, like this." He clenches his right fist at belt level and moves his arm in a quick back and forth motion, unaware how humorous this might appear.

Turning back to Captain Smith, "Captain, perhaps I should accompany the men north to warn the rangers. Argos has lost enough men, I pledge not to allow anymore to be harmed. Do you know how long the rangers have been tracking the footprints? Also, have you seen my half-elf companion?

Where is that darned half-elf when I need him?

At Nelio's comment and pantomime, the Halflings roar with laughter.  When Nelio eyes them quizzically, they quickly recover, realizing that the Gnome was oblivious to their mirth.  Small snickers and blurts of laughter still erupt from time to time, however.

Captain Smith raises an eyebrow, apparently surprised at Nelio's willingness to volunteer, and replies, "By all means, Ser, I'm sure my men will welcome your company on the northern road.  The ride is a half-day's journey, however, and I will need to send them through the night.  So if you wish to go you will be giving up what little comfort we have here for the sake of brevity."

"We're coming too," says the armored Halfling.

"We are?" replied his brother.

"Yep.  This guy is good luck, and I want a chance to get the next point."

Smith arranges for a few of the camp's abandoned horses to be made available to Nelio and the Halflings.  The riders are making their preparations to leave when Caerus and Korgan return.
The next thing I say to you will be true.
The last thing I said was false.

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 04, 2013, 01:45:44 AM »
Caerus and Korgan slowly trudge back into view with the bear carcass.  Korgan looks none the worse for wear.  Caerus, on the other hand, looks exhausted.  His hands are still covered in a gooey, bloody mess, kept damp by the rain and mist.  The right side of his trousers are caked in mud from when he slipped while trying to move the bear from one shoulder to the other.

Curse this thing.  This is why I hunt small game.  I don't care if I'm a hero anymore.  I just want to rest.

Upon reaching barracks, he lets the bear slide of his shoulder.  Not having the strength to call out, he simply stumbles to the unfinished wall and leans back.  He gazes to the sky, and lets the cool rain fall upon his face.

Five minutes.  Then I can worry about cooking this monster....

Seeing the carcass slip from Caerus' shoulder, Korgan quickly reaches for it.  He grabs the carcass and without a word, stands fast while Caerus gets his second wind.

After a few minutes of listening to the rain fall around them, Korgan says, "Come Caerus.  We should get out of the rain and dry off.  The rain doesn't seem like it'll let up soon."

Korgan waits for Caerus to get up and they walk into the barracks carrying dinner with them.
Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 04, 2013, 05:58:09 PM »
While getting the horses ready for the ride north to warn the rangers, Nelio notices Caerus and Korgan enter the glade dragging what appears to be a headless bear.

What in gods' name? I asked him to prepare supper, not feed a battalion...but we have more pressing concerns now anyway.

Nelio signals over for them, waving both hands emphatically to come over.

"I see you two had a very successful time frolicking in the woods. However, while you were gone, we discovered some clues as to the fate of the missing workmen. With Flip and Flap's help, I was able to defeat a foul "plant zombie" which had attacked us in the building. Captain Smith identified the remains as one that once belonged to a guardsman that was taking part in the search for Josah's son. It is likely that more of the men have been turned and that is why they are no where to be found. The half-orc brothers found tracks leading north and had set out hours ago. We are riding out out shortly to meet up and warn them of the unnatural beasts. Caerus, I have two jobs for you. First, help find the tracks that the half-orcs are following so we know the correct route. Second, help me and the halflings up onto our horses. We're not used to mounting such tall steeds."

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 04, 2013, 07:34:13 PM »
While getting the horses ready for the ride north to warn the rangers, Nelio notices Caerus and Korgan enter the glade dragging what appears to be a headless bear.

What in gods' name? I asked him to prepare supper, not feed a battalion...but we have more pressing concerns now anyway.

Nelio signals over for them, waving both hands emphatically to come over.

"I see you two had a very successful time frolicking in the woods. However, while you were gone, we discovered some clues as to the fate of the missing workmen. With Flip and Flap's help, I was able to defeat a foul "plant zombie" which had attacked us in the building. Captain Smith identified the remains as one that once belonged to a guardsman that was taking part in the search for Josah's son. It is likely that more of the men have been turned and that is why they are no where to be found. The half-orc brothers found tracks leading north and had set out hours ago. We are riding out out shortly to meet up and warn them of the unnatural beasts. Caerus, I have two jobs for you. First, help find the tracks that the half-orcs are following so we know the correct route. Second, help me and the halflings up onto our horses. We're not used to mounting such tall steeds."

That ungrateful….
“Frolicking, is that… never mind.  I’ll tell you what,”

Caerus sets the animal down and digs in his pack for a second, emerging with one of the oranges he bought earlier that morning.

“While we partake in the fruits of this labor, you may partake in just fruit.”

With a frustrated look, Caerus tosses the orange head-high to Nelio.  Without checking to see if Nelio bothered to catch the orange, he bends down and picks up the bear.

“I will be having dinner first, and then I will be happy to help you track the others.  However, we should go on foot.  No sense using horses when we will be moving at a reduced pace.  In fact, I’d advise waiting until morning, but I wouldn’t want you to wander the swamp in the dark without a guide.”

He looks back to Korgan, ignoring any response from Nelio.

“I bet we could improvise a decent stew with the potatoes.”

The thought of a hot stew brings a small smile to his face.  Upon arriving at the pot of potatoes, Caerus begins to dissect a leg of the bear and adds chunks of meat to the pot.

You know life sucks when you get a back-handed compliment from a seven year old.

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 04, 2013, 09:50:33 PM »
That ungrateful….

Caerus sets the animal down and digs in his pack for a second, emerging with one of the oranges he bought earlier that morning.

With a frustrated look, Caerus tosses the orange head-high to Nelio.  Without checking to see if Nelio bothered to catch the orange, he bends down and picks up the bear.

“I will be having dinner first, and then I will be happy to help you track the others.  However, we should go on foot.  No sense using horses when we will be moving at a reduced pace.  In fact, I’d advise waiting until morning, but I wouldn’t want you to wander the swamp in the dark without a guide.”

The thought of a hot stew brings a small smile to his face.  Upon arriving at the pot of potatoes, Caerus begins to dissect a leg of the bear and adds chunks of meat to the pot.

"I agree with ya.  I think we can come up with a really good stew." Korgan replies with a grin and turns to head for the cooking pot.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 12:20:01 AM by Kazgaroth »

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 05, 2013, 01:45:52 AM »

That ungrateful….

While the orange was aimed at head level for someone of normal height, Nelio is about a foot shorter than Caerus, so it sails well over his head, but Nelio seems to barely notice. The bright look of excitement on his face from the prospect of beginning the ride north melts away and is replaced by one of annoyance. He addresses Caerus in a disapproving tone:

"Half-elf, I judged you wrong. I may have expected so much from the dwarf, but not of you.  You assured me back in Argos there would be no need to double up on your skillset, yet the first time we call upon them, they are no where to be seen. You disappoint me. Those two rangers are alone, tracking a likely dangerous enemy of unknown strength or number. Whether you help or not, Captain Smith will be sending a guardsman north to meet up with the trackers. I and the two halfling brothers will be accompanying him, as the road is treacherous and there's no telling what trouble lies ahead. We will not wait until after supper, we will definitely not wait until morning. They need us now. But you go ahead, make and enjoy your stew. Fill your belly while good men are out there risking their lives to protect those that need our help."

Nelio turns away from Caerus and finishes preparations for the ride out. He then walks over to the halflings and does his best to help them onto their horses.

"Let's head out!"

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 05, 2013, 05:23:50 PM »
Five riders set out from the crossroads along the northeastern road.  Nelio, Flip, Flap, and two guardsmen.  By torchlight they rode through the path, which has a canopy of trees reaching across from above.  The canopy serves to hold back much of the downpour, but also makes the surrounding area darker as it mutes the moonlight.

The riders are able to maintain a moderate pace considering the darkness and weather.  They arrive at the ferry crossing after the expected six hours of travel.  The sun has not yet begun to rise, though the horizon is beginning to show color.  The ferry crossing is a single dock, large enough to moor a raft, outstretched over a section of the swamp.  There are no signs of life beyond the constant croaking of frogs and chirping of crickets common to the area.

"They were supposed to be camped here," says a guardsman, "Where are they?"

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 05, 2013, 07:10:38 PM »
While the orange was aimed at head level for someone of normal height, Nelio is about a foot shorter than Caerus, so it sails well over his head, but Nelio seems to barely notice. The bright look of excitement on his face from the prospect of beginning the ride north melts away and is replaced by one of annoyance. He addresses Caerus in a disapproving tone:

"Half-elf, I judged you wrong. I may have expected so much from the dwarf, but not of you.  You assured me back in Argos there would be no need to double up on your skillset, yet the first time we call upon them, they are no where to be seen. You disappoint me. Those two rangers are alone, tracking a likely dangerous enemy of unknown strength or number. Whether you help or not, Captain Smith will be sending a guardsman north to meet up with the trackers. I and the two halfling brothers will be accompanying him, as the road is treacherous and there's no telling what trouble lies ahead. We will not wait until after supper, we will definitely not wait until morning. They need us now. But you go ahead, make and enjoy your stew. Fill your belly while good men are out there risking their lives to protect those that need our help."

Nelio turns away from Caerus and finishes preparations for the ride out. He then walks over to the halflings and does his best to help them onto their horses.

"Let's head out!"

After the group is gone, Korgan and Caerus continue with cooking their stew.  Korgan finally decides to break the silence, "Arrogant arse proves my point again.  I saw that look of glee on his face when he learned that the guards were missing.  He's nuttin' but a glory hound and he's gonna get someone killed besides himself.  It's bad enough we're going into Norbal.  We don't need his foolishness as well.

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 05, 2013, 07:17:51 PM »
Five riders set out from the crossroads along the northeastern road.  Nelio, Flip, Flap, and two guardsmen.  By torchlight they rode through the path, which has a canopy of trees reaching across from above.  The canopy serves to hold back much of the downpour, but also makes the surrounding area darker as it mutes the moonlight.

The riders are able to maintain a moderate pace considering the darkness and weather.  They arrive at the ferry crossing after the expected six hours of travel.  The sun has not yet begun to rise, though the horizon is beginning to show color.  The ferry crossing is a single dock, large enough to moor a raft, outstretched over a section of the swamp.  There are no signs of life beyond the constant croaking of frogs and chirping of crickets common to the area.

"They were supposed to be camped here," says a guardsman, "Where are they?"

Nelio quickly scans the area, but it is still too dark and there are no signs of life.

"It is possible that the rest of the men that were supposed to be camped here suffered the same sad fate as Erith. The other question is if the half-orcs had come all this way, or did they turn off somewhere along the way and we did not notice. When there is more light, let's fan out and search the area for any signs of a camp or if anyone has been through here recently. In the mean time, we should make camp and rest after being up all night."

Nelio attempts to dismount, but forgetting that he is riding a full sized horse, he misjudges the distance and ungracefully flops onto the ground. Good thing the torrential rain has softened the soil enough to bruise only his ego.

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2013, 10:28:04 PM »

"Let's head out!"

After the group is gone, Korgan and Caerus continue with cooking their stew.  Korgan finally decides to break the silence, "Arrogant arse proves my point again.  I saw that look of glee on his face when he learned that the guards were missing.  He's nuttin' but a glory hound and he's gonna get someone killed besides himself.  It's bad enough we're going into Norbal.  We don't need his foolishness as well.

"Agreed.  I can certainly understand wanting to help, but I'm not at his beck and call.  Perhaps this is why his squire is a donkey, or whatever that was.  Besides that, we still have the boy to find.  And, you're right, there's Norbal to worry about.  If we stop to offer a hand a every situation that confronts us, we will never make it there.  We'll either be dead or retired long before we set foot in that place."

Caerus pauses and tastes the stew.

"I think this is about ready.  Go ahead an invite the captain and the others; there's plenty to share.  I'll start dishing this up.

Maybe I should have a look after supper.  They won't get far in the dark, and the horses will be easy to track.

Caerus begin to ladle the stew onto the assorted plates and bowls nearby.

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2013, 01:04:49 AM »
"Agreed.  I can certainly understand wanting to help, but I'm not at his beck and call.  Perhaps this is why his squire is a donkey, or whatever that was.  Besides that, we still have the boy to find.  And, you're right, there's Norbal to worry about.  If we stop to offer a hand a every situation that confronts us, we will never make it there.  We'll either be dead or retired long before we set foot in that place."

Caerus pauses and tastes the stew.

"I think this is about ready.  Go ahead an invite the captain and the others; there's plenty to share.  I'll start dishing this up.

Maybe I should have a look after supper.  They won't get far in the dark, and the horses will be easy to track.

Caerus begin to ladle the stew onto the assorted plates and bowls nearby.

Korgan takes a few steps towards the guards and calls out, "Hey Cap'n.  Food is ready.  come and get it!"

Quickly, he turns around and heads back to the pot.  He helps Caerus to distribute the food and afterwards, keeps a plate for himself.  He sits down next to Caerus and observes everyone as they eat.

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 06, 2013, 12:48:08 PM »
“You know Korgan, we probably shouldn’t let Nelio get too far in front of us.  While he’s hard to deal with, he is a capable sword, and we will likely need him in Norbal.”

Caerus pauses and takes another bite of his stew.

“Besides, the caravan is scattered at the moment and obviously not going anywhere tomorrow.  If helping Nelio on his fool’s errands will get us to Norbal, then I think that’s what we need to do.  I’m going after him once I finish this.  Will you join me?”

He raises his bowl of stew and spoons a potato into his mouth.  He waits for Korgan’s reply as he chews.

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 06, 2013, 01:23:54 PM »
“You know Korgan, we probably shouldn’t let Nelio get too far in front of us.  While he’s hard to deal with, he is a capable sword, and we will likely need him in Norbal.”

“Besides, the caravan is scattered at the moment and obviously not going anywhere tomorrow.  If helping Nelio on his fool’s errands will get us to Norbal, then I think that’s what we need to do.  I’m going after him once I finish this.  Will you join me?”

He raises his bowl of stew and spoons a potato into his mouth.  He waits for Korgan’s reply as he chews.

"Not sure how 'capable' he is if he runs head first into every situation without looking.  I'll help but be warned that if he gets us into a situation that looks hopeless, I won't hesitate to leave."

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 06, 2013, 05:28:49 PM »

"Not sure how 'capable' he is if he runs head first into every situation without looking.  I'll help but be warned that if he gets us into a situation that looks hopeless, I won't hesitate to leave."

"Trust me, Sir Dwarf.  I have no intention of dying, let alone dying for HIM.  If things turn sour, I'll be right on your heels."

Caerus chuckles and finishes his stew.

"Meet me at the northern edge of camp when you finish."

Caerus excuses himself, exits the barracks, and heads to Nelio's departure point.  He begins to look for any signs of Nelio, the halflings, or the other rangers.

So much for a good night's sleep.  Let's see what we can find.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2013, 12:27:34 AM »
The tracks are fairly obvious, despite the darkness, considering that Nelio and company are not masking their trail, Caerus knows that they traveled north along the road, and the canopy is providing cover from the rain.  Caerus can clearly see the tracks of five horses heading in the correct direction.

He also notices, here and there, the remains of at least two sets of humanoid footprints beneath the horse tracks.  The humanoid prints only show up in places where the horses didn't travel, and always underneath the horse trail.  Whoever it was, they headed out in the same direction before the horses.

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2013, 12:42:23 AM »
"Trust me, Sir Dwarf.  I have no intention of dying, let alone dying for HIM.  If things turn sour, I'll be right on your heels."

Caerus chuckles and finishes his stew.

"Meet me at the northern edge of camp when you finish."

Caerus excuses himself, exits the barracks, and heads to Nelio's departure point.  He begins to look for any signs of Nelio, the halflings, or the other rangers.

So much for a good night's sleep.  Let's see what we can find.

(click to show/hide)

Korgan finishes his meal and grabs his gear. He meets up with Caerus at the northern edge of the camp.

"Lead the way, Caerus."

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 07, 2013, 11:07:40 AM »
"The trail starts here, Korgan.  The mud should make them easy to follow."

Caerus points to the ground where the horses passed.  He begins to walk slowly and methodically, watching the ground for clues and keeping an eye on the surrounding area for signs of movement.

Maybe I should go find something I want to do and he'll just appear and interrupt me like usual...

(click to show/hide)

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 07, 2013, 03:47:30 PM »
Caerus follows the tracks along the road, with Korgan a couple arms lengths behind, the light of Caerus' torch guiding the way like a beacon.  The sounds of the swamp at night are unsettling at first, the varied croaks, snaps, and pops unending.  Soon, however, the two travelers become accustomed to the din.

They continue this way for a couple hours before Caerus notices that the second set of footprints, the humanoid prints that preceded the horses, diverge from the path that the horses are following.  The humanoid prints make a right turn and quicken their pace to head directly into a wooded area to the right of the road.  By the description of the road given by the captain, Caerus figures they're roughly halfway or so to the ferry.

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 07, 2013, 08:19:00 PM »
"The tracks diverge."

Caerus sighs and looks back to Korgan.  He takes an arrow from his quiver and points to the hoof prints and then to the humanoid tracks.

"Figures the gnome would get lost." he mumbles.  His face suddenly brightens and he lets out a laugh.

"I can't wait to tell 'Sir Know-it-all' he's gone the wrong way!  Or was it 'Sir No-wit-at-all!' 

Composing himself, he continues.

"I suggest we find Nelio and then back track here.  The rangers are hours ahead of us already, another few minutes won't make a difference."

He sticks the arrow point first into the mud and spreads the feathers as wide as they will go.  After checking the arrow in the torchlight and committing that image to memory, he turns and resumes following the hoof marks.

"We can use that to find this place again."