Author Topic: Anauroch - The Great Desert  (Read 21875 times)

Offline brainpiercing

• Honorary Mod
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
Anauroch - The Great Desert
« on: November 12, 2011, 04:05:16 PM »
[ooc]This is a continuation of this thread:
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=6588.0
The final few posts are copied here.

Quote from: Isul
"Can you attempt a Banishing, Devanar? If it is extraplanar in origin, perhaps it can be forcibly separated," Isul asks as the faint blue glow in his eyes intensifies and he casts a minor cantrip and peers at the tentacled mass.

(click to show/hide)
Quote from: BP
(click to show/hide)

[Isul:]
(click to show/hide)

Devanar shook his head.
'I cannot cast Banishment, and I have not prepared Dismissal', he said. 'It may seem like a major oversight when going to fight demons, but if you remember we were attacked while I was preparing my spells this morning.'

Quote from: Isul
"I'm not certain either would help, actually. It looks like some sort of shape altering effect, and a moderately powerful one at that. More than that I cannot unravel, though I don't know if the effect is ongoing or permanent. There may be something I can try tomorrow, but it would require a good deal of meditation for guidance on my part first. I am sorry, Drannoth." After another moment's thought, Isul adds, "For what I am thinking of, we would also need a Dispel. Something I am unable of casting," he looks around at the others gathered.

Quote from: BP
[ooc@Isul]
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2011, 02:38:25 PM by brainpiercing »

Offline brainpiercing

• Honorary Mod
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
Re: Anauroch - The Great Desert
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 03:18:02 PM »
(click to show/hide)
Drannoth began pleading.
'Come on, someone has to know what to do about this. You can't just leave me like this...'

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2011, 05:53:57 PM »
Isul looks around at the others gathered and gives a shrug of his small mouse shoulders.

Offline brainpiercing

• Honorary Mod
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2011, 07:21:06 AM »
Apparently, noone had any answers to the problem at present. Devanar shrugged and wiped his brow, but had no more ideas that could be tried now.

The slowly pulsating mass of tentacles seemed to watch the present group in desparation.

(click to show/hide)

Offline brainpiercing

• Honorary Mod
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2011, 07:02:48 AM »
(click to show/hide)

The mass seemd to tense momentarily, as if Drannoth was fighting something internally...

Offline brainpiercing

• Honorary Mod
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2011, 07:03:01 AM »
...but failed.

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2011, 10:39:33 AM »
Isul stands ready,  in case the tentacled mass attacks, unwilling to step within reach of the long appendages.

Offline brainpiercing

• Honorary Mod
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2011, 07:07:10 AM »
Devanar cleared his throat noisily.
'Alright, we can't help him right now, but let's try to find more knowledge. Drannoth, you claim you are still in there, can you act normally? Are you restrained in any way? Are you in pain?'

The black mass seemed to listen in on itself, then wriggled about and got up.
'I feel fine. I just look like shit', Drannoth finally said.

The mass began drifting about the ground - maybe Drannoth's legs were in there somewhere, but the tufts of finger-thick tentacles completely obscured them - it looked like it was flowing on hundreds of the things. The movement was accompanied by a soft wet rustling sound. Drannoth glid out of the shadow of the rock, now a crass black blotch in the bright sun, and spread out tentacle covered arms.  His movement left a wide swath in the sand, no footprints. But even though the movement sounded slimy and wet, there were no secretions, and the sand did not stick to the tentacles.
'Now there's a welcome change. It's doesn't seem so bright anymore', he said, turning to the others.

(click to show/hide)

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2011, 08:14:18 AM »
"Well then, let's keep moving. Maybe a solution we haven't thought of will come to us while traveling. Let us know immediately if anything feels differently, Dranoth." The rodent continues on the heading the party was pursuing.

Offline Sohala

• A hammer is all I need.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2011, 08:31:28 PM »
Torgthen relaxed his guard with the reassurance from Drannoth and then gave a slight chuckle at his comment, "If only it were true." He took a quick swig from a flask before sticking it back in his bag as he took up the rear guard position.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline brainpiercing

• Honorary Mod
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2011, 07:36:40 PM »
Devanar nodded.
'Alright, then... I would continue with the original plan - try to get a little closer to the demon encampment. Maybe find out what they seek.'
He looked tired and weary as usually - even more so since his horse was gone.

Heaving his heavy body into motion he began plodding again in the direction they had been going.

(click to show/hide)

Offline brainpiercing

• Honorary Mod
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2011, 07:50:18 PM »
Drannoth had always been dark, but slim, and now he was a black blotch on the bright red sand. As they walked, he could feel the others behind him eyeing him with distrust. There was a constant nagging feeling at the back of his head. He had, to be completely honest with himself, never really felt much at home since submitting to Torgthen, but... then he was Drow. He was used to unhappiness, he could swear a major part in the culture of his people was the fact that NOONE was ever happy. There was no such thing as feeling at home or safe, anywhere. But... this was different. The alienation he experienced in this black heap of writhing matter was... excruciating. And there was no reconciliation in sight. No end. Torgthen's eyes were drilling into the back of his head. Or at least where his head should be. He was developing a palpale tension in that place. A pain that was slowly driven forward into his skull. He increased his pace to get away from it, but it was no use. With the sensation came a growing unpleasantness. When constantly listening inward he could not help listening to yet more and more irritations. At the same time a voice was whispering, a tiny, yet persistant voice, the voice of doubt. 'They are not like you', it said.

They passed the ridge of a dune and finally he could take it no longer. He turned suddenly to face his tormentor, ready to snap at him in irritation - but Torgthen's eyes were elsewhere...

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2011, 10:00:49 PM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline brainpiercing

• Honorary Mod
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2011, 06:41:42 AM »
[Isul]
(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

Offline brainpiercing

• Honorary Mod
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2011, 10:55:22 AM »
(click to show/hide)

Offline brainpiercing

• Honorary Mod
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2011, 11:31:50 AM »
Drannoth's black mass stopped for a few seconds on the ridge of the dune, staring at his companions behind him. Then he seemed to resign himself, and shrugged visibly, setting himself in motion again.

The sun was by now already making its rapid decline towards the horizon. The day's march had hardly covered a lot of distance - probably below twenty miles, but Devanar was weary, and the day had been strenuous, hot, and stressful.  A rock formation nearby promised some shelter - at least from casual observers. Devanar was afraid to camp out in the open, but he knew of nothing else they could have done.

He halted and turned to his companions. Dried sweat had left crusts of salt in his stubble and at his temples. He licked his lips and grimaced.
'What do ye say, friends? Do we rest over between those rocks, and might any of you have some other way of obscuring our presence at least a bit? I fear if we do not rest the morrow will see us sadly unprepared against any kinds of demons.'

(click to show/hide)

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2011, 01:33:27 PM »
"I'll cover our tracks, this is my home, after all"

Offline Sohala

• A hammer is all I need.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2011, 03:58:45 PM »
"I say we take the rocks for the night, their protection is better than none. I can provide some extra shelter with my bit of canvas. Care to help me Drannoth?" Torgthen secured his hammer at his waist and slung his shield over his shoulder as he started in rocks' direction.
"You think I'm talking about breaking the rules?"
"No I'm just trying to figure out how far you want them bent."

[3.5 Base] Mana Mage

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2011, 06:39:02 PM »
Isul stops the dwarf before he makes more than a few steps. "Hold up, let me check those rocks first, they make frequent nesting places for all sorts of desert creatures. This will only take a few minutes." The beguiler addresses the ground at his feet and speaks a few words in a gravelly tongue, before sitting back on his haunches to wait.

For those who speak or understand Terran:
(click to show/hide)

GM
(click to show/hide)

Offline brainpiercing

• Honorary Mod
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2011, 04:33:18 AM »
Drannoth's black mass looked surprised to have been adressed.
'Yes, of course...'
He shuffled towards the rocks behind Torgthen before Isul stopped them.

(click to show/hide)

[Isul]
(click to show/hide)