Author Topic: Ravenloft 3.5 pbp.  (Read 12677 times)

Offline dna1

• PbP Game Master
  • Sage of Herbology
    • View Profile
Ravenloft 3.5 pbp.
« on: June 26, 2013, 12:15:58 AM »
Where to start...
This game should run levels 6-15-ish. It will be complete by the end of summer provided we dont get held up somehow. Probably wll begin the game right after July 4th, I always provide a ton of pictures and what not, so it will take me a bit to prepare.
I will be running 5 players.

I plan to post more info in my actual game thread when its up. But here is a brief synopsis.
Basically all the player characters are people that have been taken by the Mists, to Ravenloft. Your characters can be from any campaign settings (with approval).
You can decide when you were taken and your own background. But you have been living in Ravenloft for the past 6 years, and have since aquired the basic info about Ravenloft I've provided below.
Life in Ravenloft is hard, there is less magic, more monsters, fearful village mobs etc etc. NO magic shops.. Divine users from other planes feel a void where they once felt the love of there god. They can still cast, but feel no connection like they did before.
Over the 6 years you have been trapped in this misty hell, all the characters will have met each other. And out of the simple need to survive, put there differences aside and banded together with the Quest of trying to return to your own home plane.

house rules
•Starting level:6-th
•Only medium character optimization please. We all have different meanings of this, but no extreme cheese will be accepted.
•Character wealth: Standard for 5-th level - Magic items are less availible in Ravenloft then other Campaign Settings.
•Sources allowed: All D&D 3.5. Other sources allowed on case by case basis, such as dragon mag or 3.0 web enhancements etc. All specifically allowed sources need to still be run through me for possible adjustments. Also when you choose a campaign setting to be from, I would like it if you kept to that specific campaign. Example: your from Eberron, but have all forgotten realms feats. Try to stick with a theme.
•Setting: Ravenloft.
•Ability score generation: 32pt buy
•Cross-class skills are bought at the same rate as regular skills. The cap on ranks still remains.
•There are no multiclassing penalties, even though none of you would have used them anyway :)
•Nightsticks stack
•No homebrew please
• You can only wear 8 "constant effect" magic items at a time. Single use items like potions don't count against this. Wands don't count as "attuned" items, but staffs do. We're dumping the "body slot" system entirely. You can totally wear 8 magic rings if you want to, but that will be all the magic items you can benefit from at once. You can own more than that, but swapping them out will usually take 15 minutes of "attunement".
• Armor and weapon crystals don't take up an item slot or need to be attuned.
• Item Scaling bonus. For every 6 levels you have a magic item attuned to your character it gains a free +1 bonus enhancement.
The rationale for both the 8-item attunement limit and the scaling bonuses is that most magic items are powered by your own chakras/lifeforce/soul, and each soul can only power eight at once. Very minor items, such as potions and wands, do not draw enough of this power to matter, but more powerful ones do. Likewise, more powerful souls can boost the magic items attuned to them more than weaker souls can.

What is Ravenloft?
(click to show/hide)

Poor quality map  :P  ( i will post better ones when the game starts )
(click to show/hide)
Roses are Red. Gaming is fun. You're over encumbered and cannot Run.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
Re: Ravenloft 3.5 pbp.
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2013, 12:39:04 AM »
Me 1st
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline dna1

• PbP Game Master
  • Sage of Herbology
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2013, 12:52:20 AM »
Wow zook fast reply  :clap

I should of specified in my original post that I will be choosing the players not just taking the first 5 to post. I added in the houserules and whatnot so anyone interested could start to come up with a character. I will be making my decision off of the character ideas, and available playing time..  I would prefer someone who can check the boards multiple times a week. Once a day or every other day would be ideal...

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2013, 01:25:48 AM »
Oh of course, i was just saying I'm 1st

is Planescape available?
- All Spells
- playground

Offline dna1

• PbP Game Master
  • Sage of Herbology
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2013, 01:29:57 AM »
Yup Planescapes good with me. I always liked the Modron's from that setting hehe. Also, I you don't need to post like a full build or anything right now. In this thread just a general outline will be fine

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2013, 01:55:47 AM »
Kool
- All Spells
- playground

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 03:36:47 AM »
Announcing my candidacy.  I'm thinking something Incarnum, probably either Totemist or Sapphire Hierarch.  Haven't picked a setting of origin yet - any suggestions? 

Unfortunately I'm going camping July 5th - 7th, so I might not be online as often as I usually am during the start date, but I can still probably swing once a day.  Definitely can't promise any novels til I get home though.

Edit:  Forgot to ask, since this is a Ravenloft game, will you be using Taint?  If so, which version?
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 03:56:38 AM by linklord231 »
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 08:12:19 AM »
Throwing my hat in.

I don't know what I'm going for... Maybe Swift Hunter (is Mystic Ranger allowed?) or Human Crusader with the Mark of Sentinel and Dragonmarked Heir...

Offline Scout89

• I'm old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2013, 08:14:55 AM »
Count me in as a Soulbow. Even though I check this board lots of times per day, I can only promise one post per day. But usually I can post more than that.
This time I'll do fluff before sheet. I'll PM you what I have later, ok?
Sneaky_Sable: "Keep the Omega Whatever, I'll take that Dagger. Nice to meet you *sneak attack* I hope everything's alright *sneak attack* how's your liver been *sneak attack*..."

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2013, 09:47:39 AM »
It's too bad you said no homebrew... the class I'm currently working on would be perfect for this.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2013, 10:53:18 AM »
I'm torn between trying a restricted arcane class or going sneaky
- All Spells
- playground

Offline FlaminCows

• Push that button. Doo eeet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2013, 10:56:36 AM »
I'll go in on it. Plain Wizard, if that's okay.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2013, 11:03:31 AM »
That helps... I'll go sneaky
- All Spells
- playground

Offline dna1

• PbP Game Master
  • Sage of Herbology
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2013, 12:46:20 PM »
Announcing my candidacy.  I'm thinking something Incarnum, probably either Totemist or Sapphire Hierarch.  Haven't picked a setting of origin yet - any suggestions? 

Unfortunately I'm going camping July 5th - 7th, so I might not be online as often as I usually am during the start date, but I can still probably swing once a day.  Definitely can't promise any novels til I get home though.

Edit:  Forgot to ask, since this is a Ravenloft game, will you be using Taint?  If so, which version?

That's fine, I mentioned starting after July 4th specifically because of this.. I assume most of us who live here in the usa will be fairly busy around that time. I know I will be  :D
Regarding Taint, Corruption and Depravity. I will most likely be using these. Probably the version from page 62 in Heroes of Horror, unless there is a newer better version I'm not aware of...
I've never got to play a Incarnum yet, but they do look fun.

Throwing my hat in.

I don't know what I'm going for... Maybe Swift Hunter (is Mystic Ranger allowed?) or Human Crusader with the Mark of Sentinel and Dragonmarked Heir...

Yup sounds fine

Count me in as a Soulbow. Even though I check this board lots of times per day, I can only promise one post per day. But usually I can post more than that.
This time I'll do fluff before sheet. I'll PM you what I have later, ok?

Sure, and once a day would be more than sufficient. I just like the idea of people being able to check daily.

It's too bad you said no homebrew... the class I'm currently working on would be perfect for this.
Ya that does look pretty cool, and the flavor fits well with Ravenloft. Just to keep it the easiest I can on my self though is the reason I'm not allowing any homebrew. Thanks for the suggestion though.

I'll go in on it. Plain Wizard, if that's okay.
Simple and effective! No problems there.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2013, 12:48:10 PM »
I'm interested, as i noted before in the other thread...

I'm thinking about going Druid/Vermin Keeper with maybe a splash of something else in the middle. A question: Would you consider allowing the http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/wormThatWalks.htm template to be applied to Druids instead of only Wizards or Sorcerers?

EDIT: I should note that i'm not planning on starting with that Template, but for it to be a goal for my character, eventually.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline dna1

• PbP Game Master
  • Sage of Herbology
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2013, 01:53:38 PM »
I'm interested, as i noted before in the other thread...

I'm thinking about going Druid/Vermin Keeper with maybe a splash of something else in the middle. A question: Would you consider allowing the http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/wormThatWalks.htm template to be applied to Druids instead of only Wizards or Sorcerers?

EDIT: I should note that i'm not planning on starting with that Template, but for it to be a goal for my character, eventually.

Looks like a pretty elaborate ritual there hehe. I would say that it is possible... but it would have to be something your character figured out in game. Also keep in mind.. the dark powers of Ravenloft tend to warp things in ways, that aren't always favorable to the victim.... Ermm I meant subject  :devil
Evil is especially subject to this.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2013, 02:11:13 PM »
How would you feel about an evil Lycanthrope who's actually from Ravenloft but wants out?

Edit: Nevermind, that would require starting level of 7.

Offline dna1

• PbP Game Master
  • Sage of Herbology
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2013, 02:41:10 PM »
How would you feel about an evil Lycanthrope who's actually from Ravenloft but wants out?

Edit: Nevermind, that would require starting level of 7.

I've always thought the LA was a bit high for Lycans, we could potentially scale the template back a bit to reduce the ECL. But you would need to make a good backstory as to why you would want out of Ravenloft. Most evil Lycans would be well at home in Ravenloft. The southern domain of Kartakass for example is controlled by were-wolfs.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 26, 2013, 03:20:19 PM »
I was thinking of a Dwarven Werebadger Lord (Were Dire Badger, 3 animal HD, +3 LA) which is my 3.5 version of the 2nd edition Ravenloft Werebagder.

If this is a possibility with tinkering I can totally go through my 2nd Edition Ravenloft sourcebooks and find a reason why he wants out.

Or I guess I could be an afflicted lycanthrope who got transported to Ravenloft but then I'd have to make Control Shape checks...

Ohh, or a natural lycanthrope who got transported to Raveloft akin to Azrael from Knight of the Black Rose...

Yeah, I'm plagiarizing too much now.

Offline dna1

• PbP Game Master
  • Sage of Herbology
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2013, 04:23:51 PM »
Ok well I see like 7 people interested here which is more than enough since I am only accepting 5 players. I will still give people until tomorrow probably to post interest in the game, but my Ravenloft Thread is up. I added more Ravenloft info there as well.
So go ahead and start coming out with a basic character sketch and some fluff and hopefully by Friday I can choose the players. Then everyone will have like a week until 4th of july, to come up with finalized characters and backstorys.

I was thinking of a Dwarven Werebadger Lord (Were Dire Badger, 3 animal HD, +3 LA) which is my 3.5 version of the 2nd edition Ravenloft Werebagder.

If this is a possibility with tinkering I can totally go through my 2nd Edition Ravenloft sourcebooks and find a reason why he wants out.

Or I guess I could be an afflicted lycanthrope who got transported to Ravenloft but then I'd have to make Control Shape checks...

Ohh, or a natural lycanthrope who got transported to Raveloft akin to Azrael from Knight of the Black Rose...

Yeah, I'm plagiarizing too much now.

Nice to see a bit of ravenloft knowledge. Go ahead and put something together
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 04:26:29 PM by dna1 »