Author Topic: [3.5] Neutral/Evil Campaign [Sandbox][Mature]  (Read 47563 times)

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Re: [3.5] Neutral/Evil Campaign [Sandbox][Mature]
« Reply #40 on: July 19, 2013, 09:41:50 PM »
This looks pretty sweet! I has some ideaz:

Thaumurai
Astronomer
Nomad (possibly with some brewed disciplines)
Jester (possibly with some brewed disciplines)
War Frenzy
An evil astronomer?

I guess from the Church's perspective, Galileo was evil, so that's hilarious.  You should think about Precession's Guide.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #41 on: July 19, 2013, 09:43:22 PM »
Naseli's pretty fun. I wanted to play one for a while. I'll be interested to see how it actually plays in practice, so I'll definitely at least read this campaign as it's going along. :D

The premise is definitely interesting besides. The first thing that popped into my head was Binder, and then saw that you addressed that in the houserules. Also glad someone else had the same thought and was considering it. :)

Thanks! This unoriginal idea is something i've been wanting to try out for a looooong time... I just like the period so very much, and i think it is so D&D like, that i thought... Why not try to do it, but put my spin on things?

This looks pretty sweet! I has some ideaz:

Thaumurai
Astronomer
Nomad (possibly with some brewed disciplines)
Jester (possibly with some brewed disciplines)
War Frenzy
An evil astronomer?

I guess from the Church's perspective, Galileo was evil, so that's hilarious.  You should think about Precession's Guide.

Wow, there's so much interest in homebrew, i didn't expect that... I'll have to get back later, there's many things to consider, and i didn't even analyze the alternate martial disciplines yet.

Someone also asked about levelling up a few posts back...

I'm not a fan of eternal waiting, and i like to reward ingenuity a lot. I don't do XP based on encounters, but rather i do everything Ad Hoc. Sometimes you'll get through a series of battles and win very little XP, and sometimes you'll get through a den of Kobolds without a single battle, and win a big amount of XP. It all boils down to how much effort was put into overcoming the challenge, how original the way you overcame it was, how much resources were spent in overcoming it... Roleplay also gets awarded XP, as well as all sorts of minor things no one even bothers paying attention to, like weaving the character's backstory into his actions and stuff.

I played a lot of Storyteller, and i was a big fan of how they did things. Picture the  campaign as divided into "Scenes". Everytime you go through a "Scene", you can expect a level up, or even two, depending on how long or hard it was.

I don't know exactly how long it takes for an equivalent of a 4 hour session in a face to face D&D meeting, but expect a level up roughly every 5 or 6 sessions, since it's what i usually do in RL games. It's not extremely fast paced, but not really slow either.

For this adventure... I'd say maturing the character at or near level 6 or 7 would be a good idea.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 09:50:28 PM by brujon »
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 19, 2013, 09:45:17 PM »
32pb for stats? Hit points?

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 19, 2013, 09:48:06 PM »
Well, you've definitely got enough interest. By my count, 6 people with character ideas forming, or at least asking for details to make a character.

I'm just commenting on the sidelines; you've certainly got more than enough people to choose from. :)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2013, 09:50:39 PM »
Well, you've definitely got enough interest. By my count, 6 people with character ideas forming, or at least asking for details to make a character.

I'm just commenting on the sidelines; you've certainly got more than enough people to choose from. :)

Any suggestions for origin of the WORLD'S GREATEST PYROMANIAC? :p

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 19, 2013, 09:51:48 PM »

Set things on fire?

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #46 on: July 19, 2013, 09:53:29 PM »

Forgot bout that. You can choose to roll stats and hp, or take 28 PB and average, or mix and match the two.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 19, 2013, 09:55:03 PM »

Forgot bout that. You can choose to roll stats and hp, or take 28 PB and average, or mix and match the two.
4d6 drop lowest? 5d6, keep 3, reroll 1s? What's the method?

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 19, 2013, 10:19:08 PM »

The first time your character set a fire for warmth (or, perhaps, the first time after having escaped from imprisonment? It could be a number of things), they could hear it whisper to them. Through the hissing and crackling of the flame, it revealed secrets, shared reassurances, and spoke truths. It was the only thing that made sense. From there on, your character was a believer. Fire can destroy, but it can also bring purity and even breathe new life into the world. Why shouldn't it be shared? Spread the wealth, as they say. Setting massive fires and preaching the glory of pure fire isn't particularly popular with the Church, however...

Then again, I like fanatics. They're fun to write for. :D

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 19, 2013, 10:20:39 PM »
... :facepalm

Don't look at Thaumurai (well, feel free to look at it if you want), look at Nullblade.

An evil astronomer?

That's kinda what I was thinking (on both counts).

EDIT: Actually, as a "scientist," he'd probably be closer to Neutral, but still a Heretic.

Also
Wow, there's so much interest in homebrew, i didn't expect that... I'll have to get back later, there's many things to consider, and i didn't even analyze the alternate martial disciplines yet.
Everyone's played the core classes before. Homebrew just seems more interesting to me.

Also also, I just remembered that for Jester, using Martial Disciplines is an ACF anyway, one which I might not take. And for Nomad, I don't know which I'd want to take yet.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 10:34:35 PM by FireInTheSky »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 19, 2013, 10:38:01 PM »
I don't know exactly how long it takes for an equivalent of a 4 hour session in a face to face D&D meeting, but expect a level up roughly every 5 or 6 sessions, since it's what i usually do in RL games. It's not extremely fast paced, but not really slow either.

We are going to be spending a long time at level 1, then, if it's the equivalent of 20-24 hours of play.

... probability of total cast replacement before reaching level 2? :lmao

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2013, 10:44:27 PM »
Brujon, it may also save time for you if I give you an order of preference:

1. Astronomer (toward Precession's Guide)
2. Nullblade
3. Jester
4. Nomad
5. War-Frenzy

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2013, 10:47:19 PM »

We are going to be spending a long time at level 1, then, if it's the equivalent of 20-24 hours of play.

... probability of total cast replacement before reaching level 2? :lmao

When I run a game, I usually like to award level-up at appropriate times, such as at the conclusion of a particularly long or trying set of encounters and roleplaying, or at the end of a campaign arc, or just generally if it seems like a good time for everyone to level up.

It's easier than trying to hit a certain number of hours worth of play, or number of sessions, etc., but that's just how I do it. Keeping track of XP can be fine, but sometimes if it's close I don't mind giving a bump to get things rolling if everyone's close and the time is right.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 20, 2013, 01:23:43 AM »
Sorry my last post's tags were wonky

the Maeluth is a diabolic dwarf, the lesser version would be a Humanoid (dwarf, planetouched)
the discipline is a medium powered one.
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 20, 2013, 03:28:13 AM »
How about Binder/Vestige Cultist?
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #55 on: July 20, 2013, 04:53:28 AM »

4d6 drop lowest? 5d6, keep 3, reroll 1s? What's the method?

I seem to be forgetting all kinds of stuff lately. I'm really sorry about that. 3d6 reroll 1's. If the sum of all modifiers is below +3, you can reroll all or do 28pb.

@VennDygrem yes, that's usually how i do it. The number of session thing is more of an estimate. Do note, however, that most of the time in RL sessions is usually eaten up by food ordering, trips to the bathroom, idle chit-chat, laughing out loud at player fails, etc..
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 04:56:31 AM by brujon »

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 20, 2013, 06:18:33 AM »
Well, I rolled well using invis castle (3d6.minroll(2)) -- STR 16, DEX 17, CON 13, INT 12, WIS 12, CHA 14

So I'll go with that for Eos.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 20, 2013, 08:11:19 AM »
3d6? Definitely not rolling, I'll be lucky to get stats that aren't effective suicide. 3d6, reroll 1's is substantially worse then 28 pb (that's actually closest to 4d6, best three), after all.

CHA 16, DEX and CON 14, rest 10. Now just need to pick a race.

Kind of inclined to go with hellbred. Would that even work? XD

... also, reading the Fiendish Codex II (the one that's from), it seems that you can get up to two free feats and some cash/XP. All you have to do is butcher some people. Or a feat and an ability score boost. Or up to +9 to a skill.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 09:10:08 AM by Raineh Daze »

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 20, 2013, 01:47:47 PM »
I'll do 16,16,12,12,8,8
« Last Edit: July 20, 2013, 02:04:04 PM by zook1shoe »
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 20, 2013, 02:08:31 PM »
17, 15, 15, 13, 10, 10

Frickin Invisible Castle.  Still doesn't want to send confirmation emails to any of my gmail accounts, so I had to make a yahoo one and come up with a new moniker  :shakefist
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.