Author Topic: Chapter 1, Versicle 1 - "Those who take the sword, die by the sword."  (Read 23692 times)

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter 1, Versicle 1 - "Those who take the sword, die by the sword."
« Reply #60 on: August 18, 2013, 05:14:07 PM »
Mouth dropping open, "Frame the college for assassinating the pope?"

Regaining his composure, "Tell me then. Tell me how you think we can convince anyone that an eighty year frail old man didn't die as the one hundred and twenty of god's men claim he did and that those one hundred and twenty dedicated followers - which of course excludes paple guards, the sixty non-voting cardinals, and all vistors and staff - willingly committed the greatest sin against God for material wealth. I am all in ears this."

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 18, 2013, 05:21:34 PM »
"We don't need to claim he didn't die. Get correspondence from the Cardinals. Find someone that can transfer any seals that may be present. Find someone superfluous and place the evidence on them, making sure that they are unconscious. Kill the pope, and leave them behind. The evidence will point fingers at those who would have an interest in eliminating the Head of the Church--his potential successors."

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 18, 2013, 05:38:07 PM »
"The Pope is an elected official not a royal blood in line for the holy see. Any one of the one hundred and eighty cardinals can be chosen. You are also playing things way to innocently, what makes you think they haven't done this before? A Pope that goes stark raving mad needs to be isolated or killed before his wild claims would grant trees sainthood or deems birds the devil. As a whole, they are beyond approach. You need to target something smaller, such as a single Cardinal, and expand from there."

Offline brujon

• Honorary Mod
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2013, 07:54:03 PM »
You should hear what Dolus is saying, for he has grasped exactly what my intentions are. Nothing the Church does is seen as wrong. They are pillaging, murdering, torturing, in public, and innocent people, and what is being done? Nothing. Does it's power has waned even a little? No. They still have the nobles inside their pockets, and more power than anyone else. Even their army is bigger than the King's, and what is being done of it? Nothing. And do you think a fat, old, and possibly senile man is in charge of it all? No. The Cardinals? Closer to the ballpark, but still no cigar... The heads of the Orders, those are the ones in charge, but they're too high up, and too well guarded, to be targeted directly. And even if it were possible, and we were to succeed, like Dolus said, they would be martirized, and the beast would survive even stronger. Like a Hydra, new heads would grow to substitute the one that was cut, and the beast would stay alive still, and it's poisoned blood would kill any that were near when it happened...

This is not what we will do. Failure is not an option. No, what we will do, is expose the Church for what it is, and by doing so first where it is weakest and more desperate. The Church has never had a firm grasp in the British Isles. There are too many pagans, the culture too ingrained, and it is too far away from the Church's center. It is a perfect place for the start of a revolution, but we need for everyone to see them topple by themselves. We need to be the invisible hand that pushes the  fat and unwieldy beast over the edge of a cliff, but it is the fall that kills it - not us.

We do so, by first weakening it's grasp over a region... Cutting off supplies, creating disorder and disarray amongst the ranks, assassinating patrols and local leadership... Then, we start to expose it's rotten core, and get the church to turn against itself... The final phase is yet to be revealed, but it will be when time comes. Do you now understand why we must start at the edge of the Church? We need to strike it where it is most vulnerable and where we can have the most success, working outside in, instead of inside out.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2013, 08:06:21 PM »
"I would have thought heading eastwards from the Rhine would be the most vulnerable... though I admit that not wishing to return to Britain, to where we died for the Church's greed, colours my perceptions."

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 19, 2013, 12:55:16 AM »
Only now, at the very end of Solomon's most recent speech, does Xander finally stumble out of his room, half dressed and tousle-haired.  He mutters something to himself about ...not even a decent breakfast... just uncivilized...  in all my days! as he finishes the buttons on his shirt.    He gazes back bleary-eyed at you all as you turn to stare at him.  Er... have I missed something?
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 19, 2013, 01:26:23 AM »
"I would have thought heading eastwards from the Rhine would be the most vulnerable... though I admit that not wishing to return to Britain, to where we died for the Church's greed, colours my perceptions."
I should think that an opportunity to topple the ones directly responsible for your death would be a plus in going back to Britain.  ...But, that may just be me.

Er... have I missed something?
We were just discussing the reasons for our returning to Britain to start our task there, rather than beginning here in Rome, or elsewhere on the continent.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 19, 2013, 05:14:14 AM »
Twitching noticeably, Eos mutters under his breath for most of the conversation, then suddenly speaks audibly. "The Ch-... the Church's eyes will fall more quickly on us in their own home. W-w-we should start further away, so that they, they take longer to realize what is happening."
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2013, 09:58:49 AM »
"If their eyes see us, just cut them out," Bartok says in response.

Offline brujon

• Honorary Mod
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2013, 05:49:33 PM »
Good... Good... Very good answers so far. I like your disposition. It seems that despite what Hassin might have thought, you were indeed the right choice... As he says that, you hear an audible "tsk" coming from a nondescript corner of the room... And it's gone.

Well my instruments, you are rested, fed, and equipped. Are you ready to start the journey ahead? If you don't have anymore questions, walk towards the end of the hallway you entered from, and you will emerge on the other side. Whenever you are ready, say it.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2013, 06:32:02 PM »
Qoden takes an eager step towards the hallway, and then stops, looking back at the rest of the group. I'm ready. Let's get the toppling underway!

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2013, 06:35:12 PM »
"And the Rhinoceros?"

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2013, 06:17:22 PM »
lifts his sword a few inches in the scabbard, then lets it drop. yeah, lets go kill some heretics
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline brujon

• Honorary Mod
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2013, 10:56:48 PM »
The lights flicker briefly, like a blink of an eye. Suddenly, you feel as if a presence that was near you is now gone. Hassin steps out of the shadows, and walks towards the archway leading into the tunnels that connect the two faraway places. As you start to walk towards the tunnel, slowly, it doesn't seem like the same tunnels you came from or into.The stone is different, as well as the masonry. It seems to have been built much later, even to untrained eyes, and the masonry is poorer and with a shoddier finish. The stones are not at all near the same size, and seem to have been piled together somewhat hastily. It feels and looks steady enough, though. The stone bricks are a dark shade of grey, somewhat aged and with a faint spat of light green moss at places. No audible sounds, except for a barely audible hum, that throbs ever slightly in your eardrums. Behind you, if you look, there is nothing but blackness, the tunnel seems endless in both directions.

As you all continue to walk the tunnels, the hum becomes more and more noticeable, as well as the throbbing, which you now feel much more strongly within your chest, and your heart. It is discomforting, but not entirely unpleasant.

It ends as soon as it started, and when it ends, the seemingly unnending tunnel unfolds, with a flicker, you now see a shimmer of light, torches, and the smell of burning oil.

You emerge in a roughly circular room, with spiral stairs that are somewhat crooked and twisted leading up into the floors above. Hassin steadily leads the way, his step light and steady. He starts going up the circular stairway.

As he goes up, you hear him saying:

We are now in what was formerly the southern side of the northern half of the territory once controlled by the Romans, a long, long time ago, in the British isles. From here, the way is now south, towards York. The Rhinoceros lady Bridget requested is still on the other side, and is going to be transported through other means once we reach our next destination. We are to be heading towards Corbridge, where there is a nearby abandoned old roman fortification, where the Rhinoceros as well as a means of transportation for everyone else will be. Do you have any objections or questions that need answering now?

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 22, 2013, 01:13:18 AM »
I daresay we do! says Xander, looking to his fellows for support.  For instance, whom is it precisely that we've been tasked with, er, killing?  And why must we meet with this priest in York?  Why couldn't Solomon give us the necessary information himself?
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 22, 2013, 09:56:43 AM »
Bartok snorts in derision.  "He obviously doesn't like answering questions.  I don't like him and I don't like this."

Offline brujon

• Honorary Mod
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #77 on: August 23, 2013, 09:45:07 AM »
Solomon has more pressing matters to attend to, he can't spend all of that time scrying and divining the information the priest can give us because the Church simply gave it to him. Besides, York is where we will start our operations, and infiltrate the Church. Of course, not all of us here will be able to... easily blend in.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 23, 2013, 12:36:05 PM »
Grins wickedly I can make sure there are several spots open in the church
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 23, 2013, 12:38:22 PM »
"I'm a bodyguard.  Done.  Problem solved," Bartok says definitively.