Author Topic: [3.5]The Other Half campaign replacement recruitment  (Read 76091 times)

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
Re: [3.5]The Other Half campaign replacement recruitment
« Reply #80 on: November 19, 2013, 02:36:11 AM »
Is Leadership allowed?
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #81 on: November 19, 2013, 06:49:16 AM »
Awesome!

I've got a sheet in the works, but could I get a few quick word-of-DM clarifications?

I understand that spellcasting and SLAs would require dual concentration. I'm assuming maneuvers would be okay (though apparently only one twin can be in a Stance at any given time).
Correct.

Also, I was planning on taking the Salient Divine Ability that makes you Undead - it fits really well with the fluff, obviously - but the only problem is the d6 HD as my only source of hit points. Split in half. Between my two twins. You mentioned in the God thread a feat in Libris Mortis that gives Unholy Toughness (Cha*HD to HP for Undead) - there isn't one by RAW, but could I take a homebrew version that does exactly that? (Like with Con, each twin would get the bonus separately).
Hmm, ok. Let's call it Unholy Toughness. It doesn't stack with actual Unholy Toughness.

Does the Grow Creature ability stack with Alter Size? (Note that Alter Size *does* explicitly stack with the Polymorph-like Salient Divine Abilities, which I'm not planning on using).
Yes.

Also I notice the majority of the existing party is already Level 15. Are we starting at the bottom of 14, or somewhere partway to the next level?
Actually, I forgot to take in account the party would be leveling up while this recruitment is going. I guess I can give some extra exp to the new recruits.

Everybody: You'll start with 7000 extra exp besides the necessary exp to reach level 14.

I'll try and get more of the sheet done now. Any suggestions for an alternative feat instead of sculpt spell? Or maybe someone has a link to using the feat effectively?

I'm thinking that maybe Fakerek was raised by the stone giants as until he left to head the call of earth. Hense his penchant for earth spells. Thought about taking Drift Magic from Sandstorm, but the effect(+1 Cl on earth spell if sacrificing move action) seems underwhelming. Any suggestions on how life among the stone giants would have effected him and his perception of the world?

Well, stone giants are renowed for their neutrality, usually sticking to their territory and only attacking when others wander in their lands uninvited, and even then they first throw a few "warning" stones that miss the targets. They love carving stone, either trough magic or physical means, and they greatly reward creativity and artistic sense on that field. Their cities are made mostly of stone and are filled with statues and murals of all kinds. They also have a series of sports based on throwing and catching boulders.  They're more open to other people when they bring stuff to trade that the stone giants have trouble getting on their own. They also have a tradition of raising cave bears as pets and guards.

Dropping sculpt spell for Minor Shapeshift.

Edit: Aside from Druidic Avenger, are there any alternatives to getting an animal companion without sacrificing wildshape or spontaneous casting in your setting?
No. Animal Companion is a pretty powerful ability on its own.

I'm still working on this animal companion situation. I can't seem to figure it out. Wyvernhand, maybe you or Ose could lend your insight. Should I keep it? Everything I have read indicate that trading it away is weakening the class, something that is probably very detrimental in this game.
Well, again animal companion is a pretty strong ability, in particular if you're sharing buffs with it. But pouncing frenzing wildshaped druid sounds quite scary as well if you decide to focus on combat more. Notice as well that you would have to decide in two sets of actions/rolls each combat turn, which is a turn down for several players.

Is Leadership allowed?
Cohort has elite array of stats and NPC WBL, followers have nonelite array and are commoners/warriors/experts, or adepts at -1 level, or anything else at -2 level. You can't pick up any gear from them, and remember there's no pre-game crafting.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 19, 2013, 08:54:20 PM »
Just curious :)
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Wyvernhand

• AKA Keld Denar
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 19, 2013, 09:51:53 PM »
If anyone has the time, especially Wyvernhand, would you mind looking this over and sharing your thoughts? Equipment selection is a weakness of mine.

I see you have Anklets, which is good.  You can pick up FoM and crit immunity from the casting of the 4 Hearts (maybe a PoP3 if you need to recast Water).  You lack immunity to [Death], and while you are not immune to [Mind Affecting], you have a pretty savage Will save.  I'd recommend either a feat spent on Quick Recovery (Lords of Madness) or spend 3-6k on 1-2 Third Eye: Claritys to counter some of the no-save stuns and dazes out there.  Might be worthwhile to pick up a Scout's Headband as well for some 1/day on-demand True Sight, which is seldom a bad thing.  Listening Lorecall + uber ranks in listen will let you know when something is amiss, and while Fairy Fire is delightful, evisceration works too.

I'm not terribly familiar with high level druid buffs, so there might be something in there that works out well for granting stun/daze immunity.  If so, ignore most of the latter advise.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 19, 2013, 09:56:35 PM »
I am once again reminded that I have made a radar tower that has way too many options for rerolling stuff. :lmao

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
  • Neither genius nor savant, mostly just confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 19, 2013, 11:00:56 PM »
Is crit immunity really worth it? I was planning on using Heart of Earth and Heart of Water, but I'm immune to Hp damage from all 5 energy types already. I guts it comes down to, is a 5th level spell slot worth crit immunity? Looking at that, I'm tempted to say yes...

I'll probably end up dropping my magic quarterstaff in favor of a non magical medium quarterstaff and a nonmagical large quarterstaff. That way even when he's wildshaped, he has a weapon. Dire ape wildshape+ Spikes+ Shillelagh gets me 3d6+10(spikes)+9(1.5x Dire Ape Str) +3(Whiriling Frenzy)+12(Bite of the Werebear)19-20x2crit for just the quarterstaff blow. By forgoing the magic quarterstaff, I free up 14,200 gp. That should be enough to shore up a few of my defences. Any suggestions for wands or scrolls for party utility?

Edit: How are you ruling on the need for Wilding Clasps, wearing magic items while wildshaped and this
« Last Edit: November 19, 2013, 11:26:09 PM by geniussavant »
Smile beautiful. It's not as bad as you think.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline Wyvernhand

• AKA Keld Denar
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 19, 2013, 11:24:32 PM »
Most of the things we'll probably be fighting can deal a lot of damage per hit, some in the hundreds (the Lord from the Slaad adventures, for example).  Doubling or tripling that is game over.  Period.  Don't forget that crit immunity turns off sneak attack, and if you get it from a source like becoming "elementally", it can't even be overridden by most of the classic sneak attack immunity avoidance items like Gravestrike or True Death Crystals.  Only Deathstrike Bracers, IIRC, will work against all 4 Hearts together.

Vist knows Greater Mighty Wallop, too, if you want that on your quarterstaff.  At CL20, thats +5 sizes.  Ouch.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 19, 2013, 11:31:45 PM »
If he would be willing, Fakerek would be more than willing to trade a similar amount of magic for such a boon. What's that work out to? 12d6?

Heart of Elements combo it is then.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline Clanjos

• Super Smiting Robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 19, 2013, 11:35:35 PM »
...with damage levels like that maybe I should just roll up a devil Swordsage 2/Monk 1 fiend of possession with a pure ore oerth-blooded psionically and magically hardened obdurium statue.
Quote from:  a weekly game
"Sometimes, even an adventurer needs a backrub."

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 19, 2013, 11:36:46 PM »
...with damage levels like that maybe I should just roll up a devil Swordsage 2/Monk 1 fiend of possession with a pure ore oerth-blooded psionically and magically hardened obdurium statue.

I don't think it's common. Probably.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 19, 2013, 11:59:38 PM »
I've been looking through the campaign, and I don't think it's as uncommon as I'd like it to be. I'm registered on plothook under the same username now too.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 20, 2013, 01:13:31 AM »
Yeah, even the low-grade mooks have had some sweat-inducing abilities so far, beyond just high damage output. It's definitely balanced against having higher-powered PC's. My character can regularly put out a good amount of damage, but usually only in a full attack and after the battle has lasted a good number of rounds. Buffs can certainly help each of us survive, and may often be the difference between victory and total party wipe.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 20, 2013, 01:15:36 AM »
I can... uh...

I CASTS THE SPELLS THAT MAKES THE PEOPLE FALL DOWN.

Honesstly, I'm not entirely sure what I can really do, yet. Still getting used to it all. :lmao

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 20, 2013, 09:19:18 AM »
Sorry for the brief absence, my grandmother's memorial service was on Monday, and then we had a bunch of family over to the house afterwards. Anyway, I'm still here!

I can... uh...

I CASTS THE SPELLS THAT MAKES THE PEOPLE FALL DOWN.

:lol

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #94 on: November 20, 2013, 10:59:19 AM »
Most of the things we'll probably be fighting can deal a lot of damage per hit, some in the hundreds (the Lord from the Slaad adventures, for example). 
C'mon, that one was totally a boss battle. :P

Edit: How are you ruling on the need for Wilding Clasps, wearing magic items while wildshaped and this
Wildshape is pretty explicit. Gear melds with you when you use it.

So either you get wilding clasps, or take your time geting naked, transforming, then equiping whatever you have valid slots for, and then stay on that form until you have time to remove your items and re-equip them again.

As for those links, everything looks good, just take in mind you can't ride something if you're the same size or bigger than them.

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 20, 2013, 12:13:00 PM »

Wildshape is pretty explicit. Gear melds with you when you use it.

So either you get wilding clasps, or take your time geting naked, transforming, then equiping whatever you have valid slots for, and then stay on that form until you have time to remove your items and re-equip them again.

I was just making sure of this ruling. So, anyone have Amy objectctions about me staying in wildshape(dire ape) form all day?

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 20, 2013, 02:32:02 PM »
I'd like to join, but... I don't have time to make a character, so I won't be able to join.  :shakefist

Plus, comparing it to what else it being played, it doesn't seem like an Illithid/Ulitharid/Paragon grappler would be anywhere close to the required level of power, so... eh. Sorry, Osc~

Offline Clanjos

• Super Smiting Robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 20, 2013, 02:58:02 PM »
Are custom magic items allowed? I was hoping for something that would cast Increase Virulence or Mind Blank.
Quote from:  a weekly game
"Sometimes, even an adventurer needs a backrub."

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 20, 2013, 06:20:58 PM »
If you wanted to spring for the gp, Fakerek could use a wand of venomfire to add 5d6 acid damage to your poisonous attacks. It would last 5 hours a charge at the minimum Cl for the wand. Or maybe I could try and squeeze it into my spells/day for 14 hours of +14d6 acid damage. Spell slots are gonna be tight, but +14d6 is hard to turn down for a 3rd level spell slot.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 20, 2013, 07:14:10 PM »
This an option, if used reasonably
- All Spells
- playground