Author Topic: Stuff you did when you were a D&D noob  (Read 16823 times)

Offline Slaughterhouserock

• Hail to the king, baby.
    • View Profile
    • Horror Movie Fans
Re: Stuff you did when you were a D&D noob
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2011, 06:31:49 AM »
My first 20th level character(my second game of 3.X) was a core only straight Fighter.  My first character in 3.5 had odd levels of Fighter(5 iirc).  The first night of my first game as DM I almost killed the rogue because I was going strictly by the module I was running which had a fireball trap on a treasure chest at first level(though, technically, they weren't supposed to open it as it was their job to deliver it, but still).
The DM giveth and the rogue taketh away.
I have a 5 in Charisma and Diplomacy is a cross-class skill.  Hopefully I don't piss off too many people.

Offline betrayor

• Monitoring...
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2011, 06:37:18 AM »
My first character was a Human Barbarian double-wielding greatswords....
For some reason the dm thought that it was possible and didn't give any penalties for it....
I could also add the full strength modifier with both hands......
I had an abysmall will save though I was often either asleep or attacking my allies.....

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
  • What is sickness to the body of a knight errant?
    • View Profile
    • The Spellshaping Codices (Homebrew Board)
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2011, 06:47:49 AM »
Ho boy, my first character.  I wanted to play a bard!  Because, you know, singing!  And inspiration!  Yeaah!

That wasn't the problem.  The problem was the party's general make-up.  Here's a list.
  • One paladin
  • One ranger
  • Two bards
  • Two monks
  • Two rogues

Now, the ranger used Con as his dump stat and took a fox as his animal companion.  Meaning that the only person who could actually do well at all in melee range was the paladin...who was also the only person with access to much healing magic.  Yeah.

So, what happened to me?

After hitting level five, it became clear that the party didn't have a few important roles filled.  By which I mean, the paladin had to start dedicating his progression to healing, while one of the rogues--the more competent one, I might add--started retraining levels in wizard.

Me?  I started taking levels in dragon disciple...because we needed another tank.  The DM of this campaign had learned to play the game with a fairly optimization-happy group, so she threw pretty challenging stuff at us without really thinking about it.

So, I'm a bard 5/dragon disciple 2 when someone finally introduces me to Tome of Battle.  Thank god, really.

At the end of the campaign, my timid, sixteen-year-old human bard had undergone some...rather serious changes.  He was now a dragonborn bard 5/dragon disciple 2/crusader 3 with dragonfire inspiration, improved toughness, and law devotion.  Yeah, the bard ended up lawful--fortunately, you don't lose your class abilities for that.

It was an...eclectic character sheet, to say the least.

The next semester, I ended up DMing--the DM of that previous campaign was about to graduate, and she wanted the chance to play in one more campaign before doing so.  I decided to run something not terribly complicated--an alternate universe version of the Third Crusade, in which convicted criminals--including witches--were offered absolution if they fought for the Church.  That last bit there was added for the former DM, who really wanted to play an outcast-type character.  My players were:
  • The paladin from the previous campaign, now playing a swordsage.
  • The rogue from the previous campaign who had ended up retraining into a wizard, now playing a spirit shaman.
  • The ranger from the previous campaign, now playing a rogue.
  • A new player, playing a binder.
  • The DM from the previous campaign, now playing a druid.

The swordsage was a Spanish inquisitor whose main shtick was his initiative modifier--absolutely nothing expected him.  The binder and druid were both witches, though only the druid made her witchiness visible.  The entire time, the inquisitor thought the binder was just some petty crook.

Now, remember how that DM had learned to play in an optimization-heavy group?  Imagine my surprise as a fledgling DM--having only ever played in one campaign and now running my first--when she cast the spell blinding spittle on the saint that I had prepared for one of the combats.  More or less negated any threat he posed immediately, forcing me to drag in a three-headed leskylor to at least make combat something other than a laughingstock.

Now, imagine my surprise the first time that she cast vortex of teeth, when I had carefully statted out a sorcerer/binder/anima mage and a cleric/solar channeler for them to fight...indoors.  Yeah, those guys got ripped to shreds.

Let's not even talk about the one time she cast venomfire.

While part of the problem was druid and part of the problem was the fact that she was doing this unconsciously--she was just so used to a certain power level of play that it just happened--a lot of it had to do with the fact that I thought that two 12th-level characters would pose a serious threat to five 8th-level players, one of whom was a druid.  As their only encounter for that entire day.  I also thought that a single monster on the field was enough to take on a party--hence the blinding spittle incident.  I really had no clue what I was doing, and it showed.

See, these days, I've learned.  If I'm going to throw only a single creature at a party, it's going to have so many goddamn templates on it that you have to dig through layers and layers of .rtf files to establish what the original creature was.
“Hast thou not felt in forest gloom, as gloaming falls on dark-some dells, when comes a whisper, hum and hiss; savage growling sounds a-near, dazzling flashes around thee flicker, whirring waxes and fills thine ears: has thou not felt then grisly horrors that grip thee and hold thee?”

Offline McPoyo

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2011, 06:29:34 PM »
When I first shifted to 3.0, I thought 3.0 psionics were awesome.

I still kind of do...  :-\

Offline Necrosnoop110

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 01, 2011, 12:56:07 AM »
2nd Edition
Was DM for the first two years (total group of newbs)

My first PC was a Paladin and I added one of those "savage kits" to make him a combination of a medieval knight and a tribal chief
Would wear no armor or shield and the only weapon I would use was a pair of clawed cestus to represent the "bear clan" that I was part of
Later on I found a holy sword and would only use it on "special occasions"

a while later after that, in the "same" campaign, after a few round robins of DM swapping, I was back in the DM's chair and the group had my Paladin "killed" so the other Paladin in the group could duel wield two holy swords ... the other Paladin "went home sick" that day so he didn't see my PC Paladin, turned NPC Paladin, getting killed.   

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2011, 08:45:34 AM »
Back in 2E, I really loved Combat & Tactic's nine pages of critical injury tables. When I started playing 3.0, I even looked for ways to port it over. It hadn't yet occurred to me that this hurt the players more than the monsters.
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline brainpiercing

• PbP Game Master
  • Thread Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 01, 2011, 10:18:20 AM »
Hah....

I only started with 3.5, but it was pretty new. So my first character was a cleric with absolutely obscene stats (rolling lots of times). And he sucked.

Then I changed to a Druid, with the plan of going into MoMF. Duh.... he sucked, too. Oh, and I even got my GM to give me a completely broken MoMF revision that basically allowed me to copy a specific creature, and not a generic creature, so I copied our barbarian who had 18s in just about every stat (in all the physical stats at least).

Then I think I dropped out because I didn't get the game, or I had no more time, or whatever. It's not all "good times"... :)