Author Topic: Verold Reviews/Questions/Discussions  (Read 58311 times)

Offline EjoThims

• Honorary Mod
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
Verold Reviews/Questions/Discussions
« on: November 15, 2011, 08:02:46 PM »
Please post here with all reviews, comments, questions, discussions, flames, etc. for all compiled items.

Even if the item has been compiled, I would still love any input you care to offer.

Non-compiled items will stay in open threads so that more specific issues can be addressed. Once compiled those posts will be moved to this thread.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Verold Reviews/Questions/Discussions
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2011, 10:17:44 PM »
You should add more racial feats.

Also, your main Verold post Prestige Classes link actually links to Feats, and none of the individual prestige class links work.

Offline EjoThims

• Honorary Mod
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2011, 07:19:44 PM »
You should add more racial feats.

Working on it... But focusing on the sub levels first.

If you do have any suggestions, for either, please feel free to let me know.  :love

Also, your main Verold post Prestige Classes link actually links to Feats, and none of the individual prestige class links work.

Fixt. Though the Winddancer is only done mechanically... Capstone may still need a bit of touch up.

Also, I would have sworn I posted this response a few days ago.  :huh
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 07:21:53 PM by EjoThims »

Offline EjoThims

• Honorary Mod
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2011, 08:02:26 PM »
Slightly nerfed size boost of Hybrid Master by making the bonuses set and explicit (as well as not granting penalties, something always ambiguous about other growth spells).

Tigers, Pythons, and Bears will no longer gain huge benefits from the size boost.

Also recently Rangers overhauled, ACFs completely.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2011, 08:49:19 PM »
I don't really have any suggestions except that ferrets more love.   :P

Offline EjoThims

• Honorary Mod
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2011, 11:05:32 PM »

More love?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2011, 11:12:08 PM »

More love?

Indeed.  My favorite clan doesn't have any racial feats!   :o

I'm not good at actually coming up with ideas so I'm not sure what actual help I can be.  Feel free to ignore me.   :p

Edit: I just realized that I meant to say ferrets NEED more love.  Apparently I was in a hurry.

Offline EjoThims

• Honorary Mod
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2011, 11:29:48 PM »

More love?

Indeed.  My favorite clan doesn't have any racial feats!   :o

I'm not good at actually coming up with ideas so I'm not sure what actual help I can be.  Feel free to ignore me.   :p

Edit: I just realized that I meant to say ferrets NEED more love.  Apparently I was in a hurry.

rofl

They are my favorite too... So I'm actually trying not to overlove them... But I am coming up short on ideas for general racial feats for them. :huh

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2011, 12:05:18 AM »
The best I can come up with is a feat to let a ferret in animal form use small size tools without penalty.  Hybrid form takes too much of an investment.   :P

Offline EjoThims

• Honorary Mod
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2011, 12:44:33 AM »
The best I can come up with is a feat to let a ferret in animal form use small size tools without penalty.  Hybrid form takes too much of an investment.   :P

I like it, but hybrid form would only take one additional feat and gives far more other bonuses, so I almost think that alone would not be enough.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2011, 01:10:22 AM »

I like it, but hybrid form would only take one additional feat and gives far more other bonuses, so I almost think that alone would not be enough.

True, but you'd only get hybrid form for less than an hour per day.

Offline EjoThims

• Honorary Mod
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2011, 02:17:38 PM »

True, but you'd only get hybrid form for less than an hour per day.

I've also just remembered one I had intended to do for Ferrets. Giving them latch from Dire Weasels. Updating with both.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2011, 03:42:55 PM »
I like Improved Tool Use.

Was Attach meant to not include the grappled clause of the attach ability of Dire Weasels?

Offline EjoThims

• Honorary Mod
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2011, 02:27:24 AM »
Yea, I wanted it to not entirely make Hybrid and Human form obsolete.

Was Attach meant to not include the grappled clause of the attach ability of Dire Weasels?

Yes, cause with the smaller size and usually med BAB classes, grappling and pinning is a bit easier than Str vs Dex, imo, especially in Animal/Hybrid with boosted Dex.

Offline EjoThims

• Honorary Mod
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2011, 07:27:02 PM »
Fluffed out Winddancers.

I'm still at a bit of a loss on what to do with the Water Elemental Sect's PrC.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2012, 03:54:44 AM »
You should fix your links, a lot of them still link to the BG board.

The racial sub-levels thread doesn't actually have any of the racial sub-levels in it.   :p

All the races should have at least one racial feat.  Spoilered are some ramblings on that topic.
(click to show/hide)

Racial substitution levels
(click to show/hide)

Non-racial Feats
(click to show/hide)

Classes
(click to show/hide)

Prestige Classes
(click to show/hide)

There, feedback.   :P

Offline EjoThims

• Honorary Mod
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2012, 07:58:18 PM »
Yay Nanshork!  :love

Good to see you again, been a bit dry in the inspiration department.

You should fix your links, a lot of them still link to the BG board.

Doh. Thought I had gotten them all.

The racial sub-levels thread doesn't actually have any of the racial sub-levels in it.   :p

They're listed with the races (and classes where appropriate), but you're right... That would be quite convenient.

All the races should have at least one racial feat.

The goal is for all of them to have at least 3... eventually...  :-\

I like your ideas for focus points though, especially Infested for Rats.

The norm seems to be three per race but Wolf only has two.  Just throwing that out there.

Yes, the idea was that I am doing each Race's favored class plus two more. Since Wolves don't have a favored class, they got two.

If that is not clear and/or the difference really stands out, I wouldn't be opposed to doing a third. Any suggestions?

And yes, I know many are not finished...  :P Thinking those are the ones I'm going to do for them. Though I've been debating switching Swordsage for Spirit Shaman with Tigers.

Most of the classes that I haven't drastically altered probably won't be getting feats unless I think of (or am suggested) something setting specific/appropriate for them.

For Rangers I think I will be adding some feats to enhance their shapeshifting, when I think of them.

Your barbarian is complicated but I like him anyway, that is all.

:lmao

Fighter: No Natural weapon fighting style?  It isn't needed, but I did notice its absence.

I've been going back and forth on this. On the one hand, with Fighter being what it is I think it is appropriate to have one, but on the other I can't help but feel that doing so would be stepping on the toes of the new Ranger and the Hybrid Master. I didn't do a throwing style for similar conflicts with Master Thrower, though I've been debating just rolling MT benefits (with some buffs) into a throwing style for Fighter.

Druids still get Elemental Wildshape.  Is this intentional?

Yes, but not something dead set on being kept. I've been considering replacing it something more like the aspects of nature; it's just not high priority.

Druidic Avenger abilities say Barbarian in a few places due to copy/paste.

Whoops, nice catch.

Spontaneous Rejuvination gives access to the healing domain.  You should probably say that you can prepare healing domain spells in your regular spell slots and mention whether or not you get the domain granted ability.

Clarified.

Monk: I can't tell if Flurry of Blows describes what happens when a morally Neutral monk hits people.  You should probably clear up the wording of the fifth paragraph.

Nuetral monk hits both good and evil at DC 10+. Evil/good only hit each other but at DC 14+. Clarified.

Ranger: Animal Spirit says that a Coyote Ranger who gives up his racial animal companion gains additional benefits.  What additional benefits?

Some of the abilities are enhanced; it's listed on each ability. Noting it.

Rogue: You might want to mention what books the non-core Combat Style bonus feats are from.

Oh, good idea. Done.

Fleshripper: Does Tearing Strike have a cap?  Make an Example references a GCD attack, wtf is that?

Class level cap added.

And it was me being lazy (and dyslexic) and no going back to fix. Should be CDG... coup de grace.

Dark Moon Cultist advances Hexblade abilities but technically any spellcaster can take that prestige class because of the Call Dark Companion feat.  Is that on purpose?

Yes, though I had meant to separate the spellcaster progression and Hexblade advancement. So while only Hexblades get the full use of the class, others can take it if the abilities interest them enough (which the capstone might). Blessing (9th level) would still apply Hexblade spells, so a caster with 9th level spells would still only get a free spell of level 1-6.

There, feedback.   :P

:love :love :love :love :love :love :love :love :love :love

:love :love :love :love :love :love :love :love :love :love

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2012, 12:16:43 AM »
Glad to be of service, I really do like the system you have.  Now that I've gotten past my little ferret obsession (I do still love the ferret), I was able to actually analyze the other classes and races you made (though I was just skimming at the end there, it was early in the am and I was sleepy).

Anything I can do to help with the racial feats?

Ahh, I get the reasoning behind the wolf favored classes now.  I usually just skim over favored class information so I missed that one.  As for suggestions, the best I can do is point out that Cleric and Psychic Archer don't have any Alternate Class Features.

When I posted that comment about Barbarians I was sleepy, but it might be my favored adjusted core class.   :p

I'm all for Natural Weapon and Throwing styles for the fighter.  I'm not sure the best way to implement them though.

I'd say trade out the Druid's elemental wildshape for something else.

All the clarifications look much better.  However I'd suggest adding the word Additionally (or some phrase meaning the same thing) to the last two paragraphs of the monk's flurry of blows.

I'm not sure how I feel about the rogue gaining a bonus feat from a Dragon magazine that most people won't have access to, though a quick google search found it immediately so it isn't too bad.

Links that still go to the old boards (which seem to be all of them)   :p
(click to show/hide)

Also, Factotum is still misspelled in the Raven post.

Anything more specific you want?

Offline EjoThims

• Honorary Mod
  • The Ferret
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2012, 08:38:28 PM »
Anything I can do to help with the racial feats?

Feel free to toss me any more ideas you may have. :D

I usually just skim over favored class information so I missed that one.

Yea, I do too, but with the set up for the world, it kind of makes sense to actually use it. Most people are still kind of stuck in the rut of the roles they were forced into under the Wolves.

Cleric and Psychic Archer don't have any Alternate Class Features.

oOo, good point. Any suggestions for you they would be appropriate to pair with?

When I posted that comment about Barbarians I was sleepy, but it might be my favored adjusted core class.   :p

I'm all for Natural Weapon and Throwing styles for the fighter.  I'm not sure the best way to implement them though.

I may still add them, if I can find a way I like that doesn't seem to tread too many toes.

I'd say trade out the Druid's elemental wildshape for something else.

I've been thinking about this today at work, actually... With the importance of the Elemental Sects I really do want to emphasis the Druid's transition to joining with the elements more and I think I'd like to replace the Elemental Wildshape with powerful elemental themed drifts, but I'm torn between offering a set path per elemental choice and allowing them to pick from a list and combine elements.

All the clarifications look much better.  However I'd suggest adding the word Additionally (or some phrase meaning the same thing) to the last two paragraphs of the monk's flurry of blows.

I'm a bit confused as to where you are suggesting I insert this. Can you clarify where and why?

I'm not sure how I feel about the rogue gaining a bonus feat from a Dragon magazine that most people won't have access to, though a quick google search found it immediately so it isn't too bad.

Also, I feel the purpose of the feat is pretty self-explanatory. ;)

Anything more specific you want?

Anything you have to give.  :love

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 03, 2012, 12:27:51 AM »
Ignore the monk thing, skimming missed the fact that your clarification is just fine.

You still need to fix your links.   :P