Author Topic: The Aesthetics of Class Abilities  (Read 9570 times)

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Smile! Jesus loves you!
    • View Profile
    • Greg Campbell's Portfolio
Re: The Aesthetics of Class Abilities
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2011, 09:13:31 PM »
A class needs to have something significant every level.  I don't mean "absolutely critical to the identity of the class," but "spiffy enough to keep me loyal."

Sneak attack, skirmish, and other abilities that scale in effectiveness or/and daily uses sometimes count.

I believe that every base class should grant psionic powers, spells, or martial maneuvers.  (A Factotum's SLAs count.)  These abilities are spiffy, in that there's customizability and effects that scale with level.  (I've never used Incarnum nor the Tome of Magic base classes, but they have a similar notion.)

I reiterate: Give me something at least minor every level to go with my spells/powers/maneuvers.  Preferably, make the class abiliites synergize with said spells/powers/maneuvers.  For example, a Wizard (Conjurer) should have class features that enhance Conjuration spells.

I also want class features, spells, powers, and maneuvers to work well with a variety of character concepts.  A Warblade isn't just a gladiator.  He can be a samurai (the image and the dual wielding dude), a knight, a bodyguard, a mage slayer (at low levels), and so on.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2011, 09:15:37 PM by Endarire »

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2011, 11:44:50 PM »
I believe that every base class should grant psionic powers, spells, or martial maneuvers.  (A Factotum's SLAs count.)  These abilities are spiffy, in that there's customizability and effects that scale with level.  (I've never used Incarnum nor the Tome of Magic base classes, but they have a similar notion.)

I also want class features, spells, powers, and maneuvers to work well with a variety of character concepts.  A Warblade isn't just a gladiator.  He can be a samurai (the image and the dual wielding dude), a knight, a bodyguard, a mage slayer (at low levels), and so on.
These two might be partly mutually exclusive. Limited use abilities do not always make sense, though abstraction eases that. The importance is really more in the presence of options, rather than use-limited effects. Theres also the problem of use limited abilities being effectively unlimited of course(spells mostly, your reserves are unlikely to be burnt through even in the course of an extreme day).
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2011, 03:19:11 AM »
I like exclusives.

I mean, if I buy buy 6 levels of Barbarian (greater rage), 40 levels of Pretend-Rogue (+20d6 SA), and or replace classes (SA>SS/Skirmish, specific weapon>Spellthief) they why not play something else and just buy into it? Each class needs something to stand apart from the rest. Ranger, Paladin, Duskblade, and Hexblade are fictionally poor and work better as a PrC for a primary spellcaster. Their key traits, are not only buy able - Favored Enemy (buyable), Smite Evil (loads of PrCs offer it), Hexcurse (feats are better) and Spell Channeling (see name?) -  but their whole concept is full caster + something else = loss of spells + other stuff. It's exactly what PrCs are designed to begin with, not base classes.

Generic ClassesUA are flavorless no concentration be everything classes. BUT! They did something right by printing class abilities as feats. You have a guide to knocking some classes out and using feats to replace them. Now a Cleric/Ordained Champion isn't trumping on the Paladin, there is no Paladin, "paladin" is a term for a melee centered Cleric as "gish" is to arcanes. "Mundanes" are people who avoid the really supernatural traits, like the Fighter burning feats on Furry, Evasion, Favored Enemy, and the Rogue burns feats on a stacking Death Attack for higher DCs or w/e. Yeah, the Assassin PrC can be deleted too.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2011, 03:56:33 AM »
Fighter burning feats on Furry, Evasion, Favored Enemy,
Furry? :D
I suppose thats one way to put Wildshape :P
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2011, 07:05:49 AM »
Fighter burning feats on Furry, Evasion, Favored Enemy,
Furry? :D
I suppose thats one way to put Wildshape :P
I meant to do that? I just told someone I'm a pro with nonsequiturs yesterday, totally counts. :D

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2011, 11:39:22 PM »
Soro I think I might have missed the point of your post. Do you like class features that are easily replaceable or no?

"spiffy enough to keep me loyal."

Sneak attack, skirmish, and other abilities that scale in effectiveness or/and daily uses sometimes count.

I believe that every base class should grant psionic powers, spells, or martial maneuvers.  (A Factotum's SLAs count.)  These abilities are spiffy, in that there's customizability and effects that scale with level.

I also want class features, spells, powers, and maneuvers to work well with a variety of character concepts
Wow you're going to love when I finish what I'm working on then.