Author Topic: Ordinary Magician base class and Love-Coloured Magic school DA ZE!  (Read 46452 times)

Offline CrazyYanmega

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
Re: Ordinary Magician base class and Love-Coloured Magic school DA ZE!
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2015, 11:59:13 PM »
I was wondering if the Orreries stances allow you to use the spell without using up the spell slot? It would be great if that could be specified in the stance descriptions.

And apologies if this is thread necromancy, I didn't see anything on the rules stating I couldn't, and if there are rules and I just didn't see them, feel free to delete this post.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2015, 12:16:56 AM »
I was wondering if the Orreries stances allow you to use the spell without using up the spell slot? It would be great if that could be specified in the stance descriptions.

And apologies if this is thread necromancy, I didn't see anything on the rules stating I couldn't, and if there are rules and I just didn't see them, feel free to delete this post.

"Suddenly, after over a year, random person wonders about some rule minutiae" is a thing in Os' homebrew. Don't worry about it. :lmao

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2015, 12:02:17 PM »
Orreries isn't supposed to expend spell slots, just like the other stances. Changed the text so that hopefully it's clear now.

Also I was thinking of nerfing the recharge mechanic of the Ordinary Magician a bit, as right now you basically never run out of firepower during your average battle. Changing it so that if you cast a spell without using maneuvers that round, you recover a number of expended maneuvers equal to 1/3 the level of the spell cast, rounded up.

Offline CrazyYanmega

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2015, 03:34:41 PM »
You might also want to change it so that the stances don't cast as a free action. I'm currently running a Marisa cosplay build that can, as a free action, use two Cyclonic Blasts and still use a Disintegrate infused Master Spark at level 11. I got approval to use her so far, but she hasn't been in a battle yet, and the DM has an insta-death meteor hanging over my head if she becomes a serious problem.

BTW, in case you wanted to see her so you can judge the abilities of an Ordinary Magician as a character: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheet.html#id=294410

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2015, 05:23:24 PM »
Always nice to hear about play reports!

And good point, changed the 3rd and 6th level stances so they now only allow you to cast one orb spell as a move action. Also clarified the orbs movement. Sun must keep the orbs near, Universe can spread them around for better targeting to give it an advantage for being higher level. How does it look now?

Event Horizon still casting one spell per turn as a free action because it's the 8th level stance.

Offline CrazyYanmega

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 16, 2015, 01:10:51 AM »
Okay, I need clarification on Boldly Timid. Does the AC bonus apply to Touch AC and/or Flatfooted AC?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2015, 07:23:50 AM »
Yes to both. By definition, touch attacks only ignore armor/shield/natural armor, and flat-footed only removes your Dex bonus to AC, so everything else is fair game unless otherwise noticed.

Offline CrazyYanmega

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2015, 12:02:38 PM »
Oh, my DM would like to point out that Magic Furnace contains very confusing spelling errors.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2015, 12:25:03 PM »
Rewrote Magical Furnace in hopefully a cleaner way.

Offline CrazyYanmega

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 17, 2015, 03:32:10 PM »
Quote from: oslecamo
It affects everybody inside a line with width 15 feet and length up to 40 feet per IL you have in Spellcraft.
Master Spark range needs clarifying.

Also, when you get the time could you add a "How They Interact With Other Classes" thing like they do in the Dungeon Master's guide and other books?
« Last Edit: August 17, 2015, 04:39:31 PM by CrazyYanmega »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2015, 05:17:47 AM »
Clarified MASTAH SPARKO.

I'll think something about "How They Interact With Other Classes". I guess it would be too cheap to make "Ordinary Magicians enjoy the company of basically everybody else because they can keep borrowing stuff from them, except for divine agents like priestesses, screw those people, you can't take their precious divine magic ".

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2015, 05:31:24 AM »
Clarified MASTAH SPARKO.

I'll think something about "How They Interact With Other Classes". I guess it would be too cheap to make "Ordinary Magicians enjoy the company of basically everybody else because they can keep borrowing stuff from them, except for divine agents like priestesses, screw those people, you can't take their precious divine magic thing ".

:thumb

Offline CrazyYanmega

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: September 05, 2015, 07:08:08 PM »
If a spell used for Magic Recycled Bomb or it variants allows a saving throw, does the MRB allow a saving throw?

Also, does Light Flow "Shooting Echo" affect Love Colored Magic maneuvers?
« Last Edit: September 05, 2015, 07:25:24 PM by CrazyYanmega »

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: September 06, 2015, 01:57:28 PM »
Magic Recycle Bomb allows saves if the original spell also did.

Light Flow "Shooting Echo" would work with Love Colored Magic maneuvers that ask you to to cast a spell and meets the remaining criteria (forces the enemy to save or had an attack roll).

Offline CrazyYanmega

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: September 15, 2015, 04:07:49 AM »
Two things: 1. How does a spell like Prismatic Spray interact with Love Colored Magic, and 2. you may want to consider nerfing the stances to only one linked spell per stance. The Marisa I've been playing has proven pretty powerful with only one spell linked to each stance. Maybe make it so each progressively higher stance gets more orbs for casting?

Also, wish me luck! This coming weekend my party is storming the enemy fortress in three teams: The main force consisting of most of our army, an underground strike team attacking from below consisting of half the PCs and some elite troops, and Marisa, attacking from the back with a contingent of spider people. The DM told me he honestly has no idea what I'm planning, as there's no back entrance.

Yet.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: September 15, 2015, 09:34:36 AM »
"No idea what I'm planning"

You're playing someone based on Marisa. I assume the inevitable logic is to make an entrance.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 16, 2015, 12:51:00 AM »
Two things: 1. How does a spell like Prismatic Spray interact with Love Colored Magic
Great question. I suppose the correct thing to do would be that you remove the 4-7 results from the table and roll a 1d4, with the 8 being achieved on a 4.

and 2. you may want to consider nerfing the stances to only one linked spell per stance. The Marisa I've been playing has proven pretty powerful with only one spell linked to each stance. Maybe make it so each progressively higher stance gets more orbs for casting?
Hmmm, how about this?

Magic Sign "Milky Way"-One spell per 4 ranks, must spend a move or swift action to "recharge" each spell even if you exit the stance enter it again.

Ritual Sign "Orreries Sun"-One spell per 8 ranks, double orbs.

Armillary "Orreries Universe"-One spell per 12 ranks, six orbs per spell.

Black Magic "Event Horizon"-One spell per 14 ranks.

Comet "Blazing Star"-One spell per 16 ranks.

That way the 1st level Stance still allows for multiple spells, but you'll run out blasts fast and takes long to recharge.

The 3rd level stance would allow for only one spell until 13rd character level, two orbs per spell.

The 6th level stance would only have on spell pre-epic, six orbs per spell so better for spamming.

The 8th and 9th level stances would only have on spell pre-epic each, still get the extra effects.

Seems good? I don't really want to reduce just to one spell for every stance. The 1st level one would still allow for up to 5 spells pre-epic, but you couldn't spam the same one again and again, at least without spending actions.

Also, wish me luck! This coming weekend my party is storming the enemy fortress in three teams: The main force consisting of most of our army, an underground strike team attacking from below consisting of half the PCs and some elite troops, and Marisa, attacking from the back with a contingent of spider people. The DM told me he honestly has no idea what I'm planning, as there's no back entrance.

Yet.
Sounds like a great game. Any other details you care to share? :D

Offline CrazyYanmega

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 16, 2015, 02:56:58 AM »
Here's my full plan. Behold my killer strats.

1.) I'm going to first use my Hat of Disguise to make myself look like one of Sarn's soldiers, splash a Magic Recycled Bomb of Mage Armor on myself, then I'm chugging a potion of Glibness.

2.) I fly up to the wall and inform whatever soldiers that are alive that the attacking army is making a sneak attack at the back wall and they need to unload all their ammunition at the area where the Char Ontee contingent ISN'T.

3.) If they question my authority, inform them that I am part of Sarn's secret, elite force. We carry no identifying paperwork, and wear the uniform of the common soldiers to fool the enemy if we are killed or captured.

4.) Congratulate the soldiers for a job well done, and order them to go reinforce the soldiers at the front gate, as there is no possible way that anyone will get in from this side of the fortress now.

5.) Wait until the soldiers are gone.

6.) Go back to the Char Ontee.

7.) Position them behind me, facing the wall.

8.) Master Spark.

8.1) "I guess that's one way to" *puts on sunglasses specially purchased for just this sort of situation* "Make an entrance!" https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YMPAH67f4o

9.) Invade.

And the changes to the stances: I'll test them out.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 11:50:40 PM by CrazyYanmega »

Offline CrazyYanmega

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 16, 2015, 11:49:11 PM »
-Accidental Quote instead of edit-

Offline CrazyYanmega

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2015, 04:24:29 PM »
What happens if you burn a spell through normal casting that is connected to a stance?