Author Topic: Suspension of disbelief and rules  (Read 9429 times)

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
Re: Suspension of disbelief and rules
« Reply #20 on: November 23, 2011, 01:44:35 PM »
Yeah, heat waves and pressure aren't fully homogenous, and any bullet hell game would show you what you could swear was a single AoE, yet with plenty of space to duck between.
For example

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2011, 02:58:54 PM »
Mine's one that will probably catch some flak around these parts.  I hate how Evasion and its ilk allow you to dodge between the heat molecules of an incoming firestorm.
If I were going to patch it for realism's sake, I'd let anyone with Evasion move up to their base speed on a successful save. If it put them out of the AoE, they'd take no damage. Once they're out of the AoE, they're movement ends.
Doesn't solve the issue that happens by RAW when a 3rd level Rogue is in a 2.5' x 2.5' broom closet when he triggers a Fireball trap, and somehow takes no damage.
If they can't get out of the AoE, then they still take half damage as if they didn't have Evasion.

Although, I honestly wouldn't bother with the change, personally. I just threw it as an idea out there to get them out of the AoE all together, so you don't have to worry about them dodging within the AoE.
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 23, 2011, 03:24:30 PM »
Yeah, heat waves and pressure aren't fully homogenous, and any bullet hell game would show you what you could swear was a single AoE, yet with plenty of space to duck between.
For example
That would be one example of Evasion yeah.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 23, 2011, 03:30:44 PM »
Mine's one that will probably catch some flak around these parts.  I hate how Evasion and its ilk allow you to dodge between the heat molecules of an incoming firestorm.
If I were going to patch it for realism's sake, I'd let anyone with Evasion move up to their base speed on a successful save. If it put them out of the AoE, they'd take no damage. Once they're out of the AoE, they're movement ends.
Doesn't solve the issue that happens by RAW when a 3rd level Rogue is in a 2.5' x 2.5' broom closet when he triggers a Fireball trap, and somehow takes no damage.
If they can't get out of the AoE, then they still take half damage as if they didn't have Evasion.

Although, I honestly wouldn't bother with the change, personally. I just threw it as an idea out there to get them out of the AoE all together, so you don't have to worry about them dodging within the AoE.
Or, you know... they could be ducking down and minimizing the area that is exposed to the fire, possibly using their reflexes to quickly pull something fireproof over themselves.
Just because it's called Evasion doesn't mean it always has to deal with jumping out of the area.
Please send private messages regarding board matters to Forum Staff instead.

Offline SneeR

• Legendary Member
  • Sneering
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 23, 2011, 05:19:22 PM »
I always figured that fireball left 6-12 inches of untouched space above the ground. I guess I always figured that mister rogue dropped prone and popped back up while the smoke was clearing as to avoid AoOs in my head...
Never bothered me. I actually always thought the ability was really cool.
A smile from ear to ear
3.5 is disappointingly flawed.