Author Topic: Chapter the Second: Meet the Squid  (Read 16398 times)

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
Re: Chapter the Second: Meet the Squid
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2014, 10:32:07 AM »
Maeve stood there for a moment, slumped against the wall, head down. She moves her hand to the place over her heart where the icy missile had struck her, and wipes away some residual frost.

She feels... nothing. Not pain, nor grief. Nothing. Oh, what a relief! The frailty her form had taken had been subject to such mortal weakness, it nearly drove her insane. With a measure of her power restored, the Faerie queen finally had a piece of her self restored, filling the void that had been gnawing away at her.

She looked up.

"Thank you, Lord Dracula. Even when I have returned to my full former status, there need not be... bad blood, as it were, between us. I can certainly foresee circumstances where my forces of the Winter Court may lend aid, should you have need of it. Certainly there will be times when disposable aid may find use, and many in my service have talents that you may find quite useful, despite any abhorrence you may hold to the fey in general. My subjects will assume I have something on you, unaware that it has been fully the other way around."

Maeve now straightens herself up, and walks toward the group and away from the wall.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Honorary Mod
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2014, 11:21:48 AM »
"Ah, the rewards of power. Don't they ever look glorious in their own way?

That just leaves the matter of the two weapons to be improved, yes? If you'll be so kind as to follow me."

Death waited for assent from Claudia and Silva before she guided them through a number of twisting corridors and deeper into the bowels of the castle. An errant sound of metal striking metal echoed from below as the descent grew increasingly hotter, and the path increasingly brighter, to the point that torches were unnecessary past a certain mileage of the stairs.

The furnace room, for lack of a better term, had three small rivers of lava flowing through its center, all pouring into a larger pool that likely drained downwards. Smithies of all kinds were attached to the flowing rivers. A swirling black and red mass of smoke and blood, like a living entity, flew from cauldron to cauldron smelting blades at once. Even as a pair of crystallized blood pupils turned upon Death, forming the resemblance of a disembodied head, its main body continued to work tirelessly upon the forges.

"Milady. To what do I owe this honor?"

"You have requests, Muramasa. Improvements both. I trust your skill will not disappoint."

"Naturally. Ladies, if you'd be so kind as to elaborate?"
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Geigan

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2014, 02:51:09 AM »
Silva takes to the eye-patch and squints only a little bit as she adjusts to the feeling of the graft. When led down to the forges she un-shoulders her glaive and longbow, almost as if unsure what to do with them.

"I have been informed that I am to carry a weapon tempered with the blood of the Lord, but I am unsure which he meant. If I am to have both of my main weapons improved I would prefer that, but if I must choose I would have the glaive improved."
Developer for Rule of Cool Games. Try our game system, Legend. We hope you enjoy.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2014, 09:44:34 AM »
Death shrugs.

"I believe the Lord would prefer a well-rounded servant, in truth. And I'm certain he would not be petty with parting with a few more drops of blood if it meant ensuring victory. By my reckoning, you have permission to improve both."

Give me internets. Now.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2014, 10:47:41 AM »
"Naturally. Ladies, if you'd be so kind as to elaborate?"

This time i will I let my scepter do the talking.
Since it will be the one doing the knocking.

Claudia then extends her weapon towards Muramasa, and for your surprise a squealing voice comes out from it:

Having to be dragged around everywhere by this klutz is such a chore!
Turn me into a key able to find between dimensions a convenient  door!

Claudia's lips seem to be moving a bit while the scepter talks. Or perhaps it's just your impression.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Kuroimaken

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2014, 07:00:41 PM »
"We will thus begin with the simpler work. You seem like you could use a bit of refinement as well." Muramasa, or at least you believe that's the smoke and molten steel spirit's name, reaches out with a clawed tendril towards Claudia as if asking to have the item surrendered to it.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2014, 02:12:11 PM »
Claudia deposits her scepter on the tip of the clawed tendril with a smile:

Be sure to be gentle.
It is a bit temperamental.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2014, 07:37:07 PM »
"I know well enough how to whip smart-aleck tools into shape. Don't worry."

The scepter disappears through the fire and smoke. If Claudia watches carefully, she can see it is being worked at another furnace already.

The ghastly visage turns to Silva.

"Yours is slightly more involved. I'll need a small portion of your blood as well."

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Geigan

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2014, 08:42:11 PM »
The Angel holds out her weapons and offers her hand freely to draw her blood.

"As you will."
Developer for Rule of Cool Games. Try our game system, Legend. We hope you enjoy.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 21, 2014, 07:17:29 AM »
"Silly angel. You're not supposed to offer your sword-hand."

Silva feels as the spirit tries to delicately turn her wrist around. This results in him singing her clothes, or heating up her vambraces. He draws a quick cut through the wrist and collects the blood, cauterizing the wound shortly afterwards.

"You'll understand why soon enough. Now, your weapons, if you please."

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Geigan

• View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2014, 03:30:31 PM »
The angel shrugs at the minor wound and merely continues to hold out her weapons, waiting for the spirit to get on with it.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 21, 2014, 04:03:16 PM »
The scepter disappears through the fire and smoke. If Claudia watches carefully, she can see it is being worked at another furnace already.

A voice rises from the scepter while being worked on:

Oh yes, hit me harder, hit me more!
That's the spot, I can feel it on my core!

Offline Kuroimaken

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 21, 2014, 08:21:56 PM »
Muramasa takes hold of the weapons and they both disappear into the smoke of the workshop.

The hissing of the different tempering method used on Silva's weapon is quite peculiar.

(click to show/hide)

Give me internets. Now.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 21, 2014, 11:12:36 PM »
Meanwhile, Maeve continues collecting herself. As she concentrates, hints of her normal appearance begin collecting upon her, much like frost upon glass during the winter. Over a period of several minutes, the Fey returns to her former self- or, perhaps, it is that her true self has merely been covered up once again. She says nothing, though mentally she begins cataloging the magic and power that has returned to her, as if skimming through the pages of a familiar book.

Offline Geigan

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 21, 2014, 11:32:52 PM »
Muramasa takes hold of the weapons and they both disappear into the smoke of the workshop.

The hissing of the different tempering method used on Silva's weapon is quite peculiar.

(click to show/hide)
Silva puts a hand to her head closing her eyes as if she were struggling to remember something, even though her expression suggests it's not something she wants to remember.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Kuroimaken

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2014, 12:26:35 AM »
The hissing grows steadily louder. One could almost swear something whispered in between.

(click to show/hide)

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Geigan

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2014, 08:53:44 AM »
Silva makes a sound in her throat halfway to a wretch, but swallows instead. Tears start flowing down her pale cheeks as she makes an attempt to speak with composure and probably only manages to sound very sick.

"Exc-excuse me a moment."

The angel vanishes from sight and those around can hear. Her footsteps as she leaves the room and heads into the hall.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 08:55:27 AM by Geigan »

Offline Kuroimaken

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 22, 2014, 09:23:52 AM »
Silva manages to stumble a few steps out the door, which closes behind her as she does. One can hear the sound of a bodily collapse outside.

Death stands in the way.

"Worry not. She will make it.

Everyone experiences bonding with Lord Dracula's blood differently. For her, this must be more personal."

(click to show/hide)

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Geigan

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2014, 09:33:00 AM »
Silva waits outside sitting against the wall to the side of the door, tears drying on her cheeks and wearing an expression of contentment. She cradles a new bow and glaive in her hands, gently as if newborn children, waiting patiently for any additional direction from Death.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 22, 2014, 10:10:05 AM »
"It seems to have stopped.

As always, Muramasa, you are one cruel blacksmith. Whenever it comes to blood, you always go overboard."

"You can thank our Lord for that. He was the one who showed me how brittle a blade becomes when it drinks from one who's not its proper owner."

Give me internets. Now.