Author Topic: Intelligent Item campaign-PCs play as the equipment! (D&D 3.5)  (Read 40290 times)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: Intelligent Item campaign-PCs play as the equipment! (D&D 3.5)
« Reply #100 on: August 02, 2014, 05:42:34 PM »
Hm. For Floral Nirvana and other counters, does it require that I'm the target, or can it be used on the dwarf's behalf? :O

Also: shared HP pool between Youkai-Forged Blades, or 50/50 split like a Dvati?

Offline MrRoboto

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 02, 2014, 08:25:32 PM »
If an II took Shock Trooper and used Heedless Charge, who would take the AC penalty? The item or the wielder?
Does your II has a way to move on its own to actually use a charge?

Maneuvers that require a charge action used via Martial Purpose result in both the II and the wielder performing the charge.

Though, if you rule that an II can't use its feats via its wielder we're back to the "only the casters get to use their feats" problem.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 02, 2014, 08:28:23 PM »
If an II took Shock Trooper and used Heedless Charge, who would take the AC penalty? The item or the wielder?

Maneuvers that require a charge action used via Martial Purpose result in both the II and the wielder performing the charge.

Though, if you rule that an II can't use its feats via its wielder we're back to the "only the casters get to use their feats" problem.

I dunno, I picked feats that give my axes autonomy. :p

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 02, 2014, 08:53:50 PM »

I wonder how many of the feats I took are useless then. The better shield feats require charging...
Hmm.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 02, 2014, 08:56:02 PM »
Well, the good thing about charging blindly into danger is that I have a whole bunch of feats that involve moving, thus getting us out of it! Hopefully. :lmao

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 02, 2014, 09:19:41 PM »
I'm honestly confused about what feats I am allowed to take/would actually function in the normal way. I have taken the typical "shield feats" here but it seems to be entirely in the DM's ballpark what feats would work and when. Would only the passive feats work? Would Shield Charge and Shield Slam work at all?
Hmm.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 02, 2014, 09:23:04 PM »
What we really need is some sort of overarching description of how feats and II's work. e.g.:

1) If the feat only requires an action (metamagic, etc.) but not movement, it works in all cases (II supplies the action)
2) If the feat needs movement to function, the II must be the one moving (through DIF)

Simplistic and missing a whole lot of cases, but it shows what I mean. XD

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 02, 2014, 10:21:22 PM »
I'm honestly confused about what feats I am allowed to take/would actually function in the normal way. I have taken the typical "shield feats" here but it seems to be entirely in the DM's ballpark what feats would work and when. Would only the passive feats work? Would Shield Charge and Shield Slam work at all?

If you're an Animated Shield, I could easily see the 'charge' action simply you boomeranging across the battlefield :p

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 02, 2014, 10:25:54 PM »
Also probably a "3" for what you can do when you're possessing the wielder and get to use their actions.  :D

If you're an Animated Shield, I could easily see the 'charge' action simply you boomeranging across the battlefield :p

I have to float within 2 feet of the user....BUT....if one of you Enlarge Person's the dwarf...I can get 10 feet of movement?  :lmao
Hmm.

Offline MrRoboto

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 03, 2014, 12:09:25 PM »

And that make you indistinguishable from any random monster class. I want an Intelligent Item with feats.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 03, 2014, 12:18:44 PM »

And that make you indistinguishable from any random monster class. I want an Intelligent Item with feats.

Yes, having the ability to move around independently clearly means I'm a 'random monster class' and not an Intelligent Item, even though it's generally going to be far better if I'm wielded due to my own mediocre defences and giving weapons to use with other maneuvers. I obviously changed class and race secretly, rather than using an ability accounted for in the Intelligent Item writeup.

Heaven forbid that we can get around two-person obstacles.

Offline MrRoboto

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 03, 2014, 12:22:54 PM »
You like DIF on an item, great. I don't. Why are you allowed to use feats but I'm not (unless I go ahead and take the casting ACF which is mechanically more powerful already)?

Also, I'll note that if you really are better off being wielded, your feats are pretty much wasted.

I'm really not trying to get at you here. I'd just like the non ACF version of the class to be playable as something other than a cohort or "item that actually spends no time as an item."
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 12:25:51 PM by MrRoboto »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 03, 2014, 01:03:46 PM »
They're hardly wasted, since there's not an enormous shortage of situations where dual wielding is impractical or downright hazardous, as well as the aforementioned 'needs multiple people' thing. Waste would be if I took DIF on an item that can't use its maneuvers due to lack of equipment.

Also, you're not complaining about inability to use feats, you're complaining about not being able to use feats that conflict with your desire to be an item incapable of independent movement. Why would you even HAVE those feats, IC?

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 03, 2014, 04:06:37 PM »
Whoooaaaa it almost sounds like Roboto is miffed at Raineh not trying to minmax that feat selection  :lmao

I technically gave myself autonomy as well, but I don't turn into people but I guess turning into a cat doesn't seem to be as big a thing despite that I don't need a wielder to cast spells.

I gotta say tho, I suddenly realize, how does an II with DIF wield themselves if the weapons themselves turned into people? Do you need to go find different weapons  for the II to equip then?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 03, 2014, 04:52:50 PM »
Says in the thread--you can change a body part or whatever back into the item itself, thus letting you hit people with it. DIF armour also benefits from armour and so on.

The Intelligent Item cannot move on its own in any way, and has no physical ability scores, only mental ability scores. If it takes the Deceivingly Innocent form, it counts as having 8 Str,  8 Dex and still no Con while transformed. It can use itself as the item it was before (a transformed DiF weapon could turn one of its arms into said weapon, while a transformed DiF armor would count as if wearing itself). It can ignore any feat prerequisite that demands an physical ability score, but only benefits from that feat while carried with a wielder that meets said physical ability score, or meets it while on DiF form.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2014, 04:54:38 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 03, 2014, 06:20:07 PM »
Ooooh, completely missed that. That's pretty nice at least :D

Offline Clanjos

• Super Smiting Robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 03, 2014, 11:56:15 PM »
What I've got so far.

I had soulmelds on there before I realized I have no Con. Maybe a version of Undead Meldshaper for constructs is in order.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 05:36:00 PM by Clanjos »
Quote from:  a weekly game
"Sometimes, even an adventurer needs a backrub."

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #117 on: August 04, 2014, 03:13:02 PM »
Updated the Intelligent Item so that it can grant feats it knows to the wielder, as long as they're directly tied to the item.

So a II shield granting improved shield bash and friends is fine.

For something like Shock Trooper, you would need to be an item that grants buffs to charge by itself.

Hm. For Floral Nirvana and other counters, does it require that I'm the target, or can it be used on the dwarf's behalf? :O

Also: shared HP pool between Youkai-Forged Blades, or 50/50 split like a Dvati?
Updated, yes and split.

What I've got so far.

I had soulmelds on there before I realized I have no Con. Maybe a version of Undead Meldshaper for constructs is in order.
And how exactly would they benefit an II? Also, dead link.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2014, 03:14:58 PM by oslecamo »

Offline Clanjos

• Super Smiting Robot!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 04, 2014, 05:39:13 PM »
And that, children, is why we only post things when we've had some sleep.

As for the benefit, depends on the slot. I can think of several autonomy and survivability-related uses for things like the Cerulean Sandals (your base move speed increases), Spellward Shirt (you get spell resistance), Fire Cincture (less damage from fire, redirect some of the damage), and of course the wonderful, wonderful combat options of Dissolving Spittle.
Quote from:  a weekly game
"Sometimes, even an adventurer needs a backrub."

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 04, 2014, 06:17:06 PM »
I'm honestly starting to think we can take this on without resting.
Hmm.