Author Topic: Optimization Challenge: Dispater and the Iron Siege  (Read 68524 times)

Offline Tshern

• The Clown Prince of Crime
  • DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Optimization Challenge: Dispater and the Iron Siege
« Reply #40 on: November 23, 2011, 09:31:07 AM »
(click to show/hide)
Pian unohtuu aika ja tila
Ja nahkapeitto ja syyllisyys
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline Dreamweaver

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 23, 2011, 09:46:25 AM »
It is probably just me, and I'm sure I personally don't know everything there is out there either, but you sure don't seem to have a LOT of the books/magazines being asked about (although I agree about Dragon Magazine stuff needing to be extensively play tested prior to being allowed).

I'm quite certain pdfs of practically everything is available *somewhere* on-line for free.  Considering the difficulty, if not impossibility, of being able to actually buy them anymore from WotC, I think it would be slightly less illegal than it used to be.  ;)

Anywhoo...hrm, no broken/infinite combos against a big baddie who, by your own comment, has a gigantic "No!" button?  I understand no Pun-Puns, etc..., but your gonna need to be able to pull something amazing out of your "hat of tricks" to beat this guy, if past contestants are any indication.

Offline Dreamweaver

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2011, 10:28:33 AM »
Speaking of past contestants, I'm certain I may not have read/seen every one of them, but did anyone EVER succeed?

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2011, 11:01:24 AM »
I'm just seeing what options are available for me, to get the best chance of being the first to succeed.

P.S. Tshern's advice is very to the point and honest
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2011, 11:25:51 AM »
Speaking of past contestants, I'm certain I may not have read/seen every one of them, but did anyone EVER succeed?
No.
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 23, 2011, 11:53:56 AM »
My method of thinking about getting rid of him is to spam some attack spell that will mess up his little barrier.

Like a Permanent Emanation Antimagic Field; that should at least get rid of his ability to activate his NO button.

Part of my chosen build is Warlock, namely for those absolutely AWESOME epic feats they get (all Conjuration spells eighth level or below on the Sorcerer/Wizard spell list at will as an Ex ability.), as well as being a Sylph (I cast as a HIGH level sorcerer).

A part of me wants to grab Initiate of Mystra, just because that Permanent Emanation Antimagic Field supplies a lovely defense against the Disjunction effect that comes from the Tower of Dis.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 23, 2011, 12:08:53 PM »
How can a greater deity be an initiate of Mystra? Makes no sense to me.
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline TravelLog

• Honorary Mod
  • Gunslinger, Descendent of Eld
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2011, 12:32:05 PM »
It is probably just me, and I'm sure I personally don't know everything there is out there either, but you sure don't seem to have a LOT of the books/magazines being asked about (although I agree about Dragon Magazine stuff needing to be extensively play tested prior to being allowed).

I'm quite certain pdfs of practically everything is available *somewhere* on-line for free.  Considering the difficulty, if not impossibility, of being able to actually buy them anymore from WotC, I think it would be slightly less illegal than it used to be.  ;)

I have every non-campaign specific WoTC 3.5e book. I have most Forgotten Realms, and the basic Eberron books. If there is something particularly important, then yes, I can get it elsewhere.

here's some more books with ideas
(click to show/hide)

books only (no specific ideas yet)
(click to show/hide)

just curious because some of those others were already allowed by Tshern.... but if you don't what to, that's fine too

Which ones had he allowed? I'm willing to revisit my decisions.

Anywhoo...hrm, no broken/infinite combos against a big baddie who, by your own comment, has a gigantic "No!" button?  I understand no Pun-Puns, etc..., but your gonna need to be able to pull something amazing out of your "hat of tricks" to beat this guy, if past contestants are any indication.

Oh absolutely. But successes should come from intelligence and strategy rather a ridiculous build. Let me put it this way in terms of cheese: a little mozzarella is fine, but I don't want a three course cheese tasting.

Anyway:
Echoing Spell: Not allowed.
Invisible Spell: Allowed.
Mind Mage: No.
Ghost: Already ruled upon one of my predecessors, Witch. So no.
Prestige Bard: Allowed
Fiendbinder: Allowed. I'll tell you right out though that you have zero chance of learning Dispater's true name, or for that matter, of any of his entourage. Dispater is beyond paranoid, and is the most well protected of Lords of the Nine, excepting perhaps Asmodeus.
Runecaster: Allowed.
Shadow Weave Magic: I'll get back to you.
Tauric: No.
Shun the Dark Chaos: Use retraining. No.
Lilitu: No. Specifically, because of this section of it's entry. "Item Use (Ex): A Lilitu can use any item as though she had successfully used the Use Magic Device skill."
Flesh of Orcus item: No. Nothing is free.
Starmantle: Allowed.

How can a greater deity be an initiate of Mystra? Makes no sense to me.

I too am curious as to how this would be possible.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 01:45:57 PM by TravelLog »
Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.
--Miguel de Cervantes

Offline DrHorrible

• Merciless idiot.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2011, 01:07:07 PM »
Ok... This is going to be a noob questions but... Why is Tauric template banned? Is it broken in some way?
Believe.

Offline TravelLog

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2011, 01:14:01 PM »
Ok... This is going to be a noob questions but... Why is Tauric template banned? Is it broken in some way?

Here are some interesting features of the Tauric Template:
--Hit Dice: Add the base humanoid’s and base creature’s Hit Dice to get the tauric creature’s Hit Dice, each of which changes to a d8. A humanoid that normally has a class instead of 1 Hit Die counts as a 1 HD creature.
--A tauric creature retains the natural weapons and base damage of the base humanoid and the base creature...
--Special Attacks: A tauric creature retains the special at- tacks of the base humanoid and the base creature, provided that the tauric creature is capable of delivering the attack.
--Special Qualities: A tauric creature retains the special qualities of both the base humanoid and the base creature.
--Base Saves: For each saving throw, use the base save bonus for either the base creature or the base
humanoid, whichever is higher.
--Abilities: A tauric creature uses the base humanoid’s Intelligence, Wisdom, and Charisma scores, and it uses the base creature’s Strength, Dexterity, and Constitution scores.
--Challenge Rating: Base creature’s CR +1

Tauric basically takes the best qualities of each component creature. For +1 CR. Example: A griffon is traditionally CR 7. However, a Tauric Griffon Medusa is CR 5 and superior in nearly every way.
Too much sanity may be madness and the maddest of all, to see life as it is and not as it should be.
--Miguel de Cervantes

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2011, 01:18:53 PM »
Witch didn't actually start the challenge. Selah did, but I believe he only ran a single one.

DrHorrible: Tauric is essentially a way of combining the physical might and abilities of brute monsters with the mental ability scores and special qualities of a humanoid part for basically no cost.
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline Ithamar

• I'm not new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2011, 01:33:20 PM »
Well Tauric takes the HD of the base animal / vermin / magical beast + base creature HD (humanoid or monstrous humanoid) + 1 extra HD + any existing LA + 2 more LA for the template.

So it isn't altogether without cost.  And if you limit it to animals only like I do, it isn't really any different from lycanthropy really.

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2011, 03:11:39 PM »
With +5 free LA and 70 hit dice in use that is hardly a cost.
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline Dreamweaver

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2011, 03:45:49 PM »
So...wait.  Because you (or whoever came up with it) gave us "+5 LA free and up to 70 HD" for character creation, something that takes advantage of that is "free" or essentially "doesn't have a cost"?

Really?  What if we took off 5 HD and +3 LA free so we only had: +2 LA free and up to 65 HD?

Would Tauric (or something similar that gave HD and LA) suddenly be "ok"?

I mean, after looking at Tauric, I can see how you could take 2 powerful creatures, one physical and one mental, and create a powerful single monster with both those excellent capabilities, but isn't that the point?  At 70 or so HD, aren't fantastical gawds of undeniable power supposed to exist?  Can't they have forms and mental faculties far beyond mortal comprehension?  I mean, if your gonna use a statement like "how can a gawd be an Initiate of Mystra?", then can't I say "why would my diety be anything remotely normal in regards to any part of its being, physical, mental, or power -wise?"

But again, I guess I just find it odd that these kinds of simple things would be ruled out, when you've already stated "no broken pun-pun-esqe/infinite combos".  Ok, so they make a Tauric something, who cares as long as it doesn't create/perform a horribly broken pun-pun/infinite combo?  Nothing else has worked so far, so why should it?

Lets face it:

Dispater is nigh unkillable without something super amazing!

Hell, he is nigh unAPPROACHABLE without something super amazing!

Tauric might help produce something good enough to at least APPROACH the "super amazing" mark.

Offline Tshern

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2011, 04:09:20 PM »
Edit: I did not see that TravelLog had responded to the Tauric thing, so I assumed Dreamweaver was answering to me. Realised that might be a mistake, so I put my answers in a spoiler.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 04:11:24 PM by Tshern »
Ja rauenneilla kasvoilla
Viipyy muiston pysyvyys

Offline Look

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 23, 2011, 04:18:19 PM »
What is your stance on material from the Dragon Compendium? Notably the Dvati.

Also, I assume Illumians with "Aeshkrau" are fair game?

Offline TravelLog

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 23, 2011, 04:56:41 PM »

As I mentioned earlier, Dragon Magazine stuff is iffy at best and needs to be judged on a by case basis.
As for Dvati? Example of why people don't like Dragon Magazine. It's ridiculous to give a player two characters like that, regardless of the penalties to make it "balanced."
Dvati: Not Allowed
Illumians:: Totally fine. Allowed.

Re: Tauric
I understand where you're coming from, but I'm sorry. Tauric a huge broken template, and it throws out a lot of the normal rules as let you cherry pick the best of both worlds. More importantly, I've seen most of the challengers. They were without exception "beyond super-amazing."

I think that if anyone does eventually beat Dispater, it will be because of brilliant planning and strategy, not just an uber-build. Creativity and unusual thinking go farther than optimization (though that certainly doesn't hurt).
« Last Edit: November 23, 2011, 04:58:56 PM by TravelLog »
--Miguel de Cervantes

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 23, 2011, 07:12:46 PM »

As I mentioned earlier, Dragon Magazine stuff is iffy at best and needs to be judged on a by case basis.
As for Dvati? Example of why people don't like Dragon Magazine. It's ridiculous to give a player two characters like that, regardless of the penalties to make it "balanced."
Dvati: Not Allowed
Illumians:: Totally fine. Allowed.

Re: Tauric
I understand where you're coming from, but I'm sorry. Tauric a huge broken template, and it throws out a lot of the normal rules as let you cherry pick the best of both worlds. More importantly, I've seen most of the challengers. They were without exception "beyond super-amazing."

I think that if anyone does eventually beat Dispater, it will be because of brilliant planning and strategy, not just an uber-build. Creativity and unusual thinking go farther than optimization (though that certainly doesn't hurt).

*nods*
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Mixster

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2011, 01:20:14 AM »
Weird, I thought I posted this question a few days ago.

But has anyone ever tried a skillful approach? I mean with around 200+ in bluff you should be able to lie your way through hell, and with 149+ in diplomacy everything you meet will be your fanatic follower. And if you have +119 in survival, you can find Dispaters throneroom by triangulation.

I mean it's not sure fire, but getting to those stats, need not take more than the item familiar feat and some skill points, which with the given stats is hardly a cost at all.
This signature reserved for the first awesome quote!

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2011, 01:21:53 AM »
You did post, but in the other thread.