Author Topic: Pyrokinetic Fire lash, ranged + melee feats stack?  (Read 1614 times)

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
Pyrokinetic Fire lash, ranged + melee feats stack?
« on: November 21, 2011, 12:39:38 AM »
Fire Lash (Ps)

A pyrokineticist gains the ability to fashion a 15-foot-long whip of fire from unstable ectoplasm as a move-equivalent action. She takes no damage from a fire lash she creates, and if she releases her hold, it immediately dissipates. The lash deals 1d8 points of fire damage to a target within 15 feet on a successful ranged touch attack. A pyro can take Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization (if she otherwise meets the prerequisites) in conjunction with the fire lash, as well as any feats that apply to the use of a standard whip. The whip remains in existence as long as the pyrokineticist holds it.

Whip

A whip deals nonlethal damage. It deals no damage to any creature with an armor bonus of +1 or higher or a natural armor bonus of +3 or higher. The whip is treated as a melee weapon with 15-foot reach, though you don’t threaten the area into which you can make an attack. In addition, unlike most other weapons with reach, you can use it against foes anywhere within your reach (including adjacent foes).

Using a whip provokes an attack of opportunity, just as if you had used a ranged weapon.

You can make trip attacks with a whip. If you are tripped during your own trip attempt, you can drop the whip to avoid being tripped.

When using a whip, you get a +2 bonus on opposed attack rolls made to disarm an opponent (including the roll to keep from being disarmed if the attack fails).

You can use the Weapon Finesse feat to apply your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier to attack rolls with a whip sized for you, even though it isn’t a light weapon for you.

Psionic Shot [Psionic]

You can charge your ranged attacks with additional damage potential.
Prerequisite

Point Blank Shot.
Benefit

To use this feat, you must expend your psionic focus. Your ranged attack deals +2d6 points of damage. You must decide whether or not to use this feat prior to making an attack. If your attack misses, you still expend your psionic focus.

Psionic Weapon [Psionic]

You can charge your melee weapon with additional damage potential.
Prerequisite

Str 13.
Benefit

To use this feat, you must expend your psionic focus.

Your attack with a melee weapon deals an extra 2d6 points of damage. You must decide whether or not to use this feat prior to making an attack. If your attack misses, you still expend your psionic focus.

so, if i am understanding this right, a fire lash is a ranged attack that can have any whip-applicable feat applied to it.

in 3.5, a whip is a reach melee weapon.

ergo, if i have the feats to spend, i can take both psionic weapon, which only applies to melee weapons, and psionic shot, which applies to any ranged attack for +4d6, or +8d6 if i can somehow take the greater version of each?

(or course, to use both simultaneously, i'd need psicrystal containment, ect.)

if so, a monk could take both psionic fist and psionic weapon?

are there any more useful combos of ranged and melee feats that could apply to this? rapid shot?