Author Topic: Windows 10 upgrade  (Read 31105 times)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: Windows 10 upgrade
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2015, 07:48:22 PM »
I've had to keep turning updating on, for some reason.

Microsoft isn't helping people, they are just making sure that anyone who cares about customizing Windows has to spend more money on their OS.

This is the most ridiculous definition of customization I've ever seen. I'm sorry, not updating is not something that you should describe like that.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2015, 08:01:35 PM »
I've had to keep turning updating on, for some reason.

Okay, that's odd.

Microsoft isn't helping people, they are just making sure that anyone who cares about customizing Windows has to spend more money on their OS.

This is the most ridiculous definition of customization I've ever seen. I'm sorry, not updating is not something that you should describe like that.

Yes, because every update Microsoft has ever pushed out is something that I want.  On a lot of business computers (and yes they were on pro so they wouldn't be affected by this) I've disabled multiple Windows updates that installed features that were unnecessary and would have just slowed things down.

All updates are not good for everyone or wanted by everyone.  Yes, choosing what does and doesn't get updated is a form of customization.  Updates can cause their own issues.  Yes, major security vulnerability updates should be installed but telling me that I should install every update that is released for every OS/Application on every system I'm supporting or using is ridiculous in my opinion.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2015, 08:13:07 PM »
Expecting updates to add things in the basic version of a mass-produced product seems to be the confusing part.

And honestly, the overwhelming majority of the updates are random things like this. How many people even read what every update is, even on systems where you have to manually initiate them?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2015, 08:17:57 PM »
Silverlight started out as just a windows update and all it does for me is make my taskbar semi-translucent.  I'm not saying that updating everything is bad, I'm saying that any software company that forces their users to install every single update is bad.

There have been times that I've googled an update and found out that it was a horrible thing and to avoid it until a patch for the update gets released so I didn't do the updating until the issue was resolved.  Having that decision taken away is something that I will always consider to be a bad thing, it doesn't matter if it's my notepad software or my operating system.

Edit: Especially if Windows 10 does automatic updates the way Windows 7 does and it sometimes surprises you into a computer restart because you weren't paying attention for the ten second timer that popped up that you can only skip a couple of times.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2015, 09:27:26 PM »
I do not like it when someone who does not own my computer has some kind of control over it that I can't take away. If you want to change how my computer works in any way, you have to ask first.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I shall bring great terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2015, 01:14:56 PM »
From Windows 7,

I would suggest making sure to get your license/copy, but hold off on installing it until the dust settles on others experiences.

I would assume the biggest reason to upgrade for this audience would be for new Direct X version support for gaming, if/when you have a video card that can take advantage of it.

From Windows 8,

Might as well, it's less of a desktop abomination.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2015, 02:19:41 PM »
From Windows 7,

I would suggest making sure to get your license/copy, but hold off on installing it until the dust settles on others experiences.

I would assume the biggest reason to upgrade for this audience would be for new Direct X version support for gaming, if/when you have a video card that can take advantage of it.

From Windows 8,

Might as well, it's less of a desktop abomination.

:lmao

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2015, 03:21:13 PM »
I just want a start menu again. :T

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2015, 07:20:11 PM »
I like how the thread takes a turn on page one. First RD is like always use Window's updates, then someone says drivers and she's like always manually update those things instead of using windows.  :lol

Anyway, updates reduce security risks. Of course, antiviruses (free), firewalls (router instead of defender), decent browsers (instead of explorer), using website based email (instead of outlook), and being smart enough to double check urls on downloading applications before opening them can all lend a part.

So are they good? Yes. No one is really saying they are not. What they are saying is a working computer with a dozen other safeguards in play is better than one that doesn't fucking work at all. Because that is what many of the windows updates can do to your system. Shut the entire thing down so your locked on the window loading screen until you reinstall windows, probably wiping your entire HD perdition in the process.

You can enjoy the best of both worlds by turning off automatic updating and periodically running it based on user feedback. If the complaints are superficial you run the update, if they screw people over you keep your PC running and wait until it's fixed. Problem solved.

And as for the real topic, I won't bother with 10 until the next one after that comes out. Better to run a stable platform with most of teh bugs worked out of it than the one they shit out half-done but claim otherwise.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2015, 07:28:03 PM »
I like how the thread takes a turn on page one. First RD is like always use Window's updates, then someone says drivers and she's like always manually update those things instead of using windows.  :lol

Not really. I'm saying always get the security updates. Never seen driver updates show up in the Windows stuff (didn't even know they could), so I've always done them myself.

And as for the real topic, I won't bother with 10 until the next one after that comes out. Better to run a stable platform with most of teh bugs worked out of it than the one they shit out half-done but claim otherwise.

Unless they're completing rebuilding the kernel, like 98/ME to XP, or redoing all the permissions etc. like they did for Vista, it's not likely to be unstable.

Though I can't remember if they're doing any huge sweeping changes or mostly trying to sort out user-end experiences.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2015, 09:27:59 PM »
Considering it's every other Windows iteration that tends to work out well, 10 ought to be good.  But I wouldn't put it past MS to screw up.

It is probably a good idea to wait for the first service pack though.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2015, 09:52:50 PM »
Considering it's every other Windows iteration that tends to work out well, 10 ought to be good.  But I wouldn't put it past MS to screw up.

To be fair, Vista was just slow (it had memory transfer problems) exacerbated by XP legacy issues, and eight mostly suffered from 'alienate the desktop users'. Actual crippling bugs haven't been common.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2015, 09:55:03 PM »

There isn't going to be one, effectively - they're moving to rolling updates/"Windows as a Service", so features will show up regularly. It's one of the major reasons they're trying to entice everyone with a Win7 and up PC to hop on board. That and critical mass for developers with Windows Store apps.

Also, for those of you worried about updates, MS is moving to a different release cadence - they're keeping the Insider Fast/Slow rings from the Win10 Preview before the updates hit general release. Meaning that any Windows update will pass through internal testing, then two public "beta" circles before they hit the mass market. It should reduce the number of updates causing problems.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2015, 12:23:27 AM »
I'm just incredibly mad that The Strongest version of Windows is being skipped for some retarded marketing ploy about the number 10.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2015, 06:26:48 AM »
I'm just incredibly mad that The Strongest version of Windows is being skipped for some retarded marketing ploy about the number 10.

Actually I've heard that they're skipping ⑨ because during testing bugs would appear due to programs confusing it with Windows 95/98/9X. Considering Microsoft's fantastic coding abilities, I find that may just be true.

I also currently have Windows 8 because it's what was included with my laptop. Is the consensus that I should upgrade to 10?

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2015, 06:38:53 AM »
Actually I've heard that they're skipping ⑨ because during testing bugs would appear due to programs confusing it with Windows 95/98/9X. Considering Microsoft's fantastic coding abilities, I find that may just be true.

It's actually idiocy by third party coders - here's an article explaining that they got lazy with version checking. It's the same reason native Windows applications handle HiDPI displays quite gracefully, and 3rd party doesn't.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2015, 08:12:53 AM »

I also currently have Windows 8 because it's what was included with my laptop. Is the consensus that I should upgrade to 10?

Given that it's almost the same codebase, but they're adding in the start menu again: yes.

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I shall bring great terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2015, 05:17:43 PM »
Group Policy Editor / gpedit.msc largely influences how much 'control' you have over how things behave, if you are paranoid about automatic things happening, including windows update. I have my doubts that you would not be able to change the setting using this.

Driver updates from windows update are usually not as up to date as direct from manufacturer, which is rather important for video cards / gaming, but not quite as much as other components if you are joe shmoe.

The alternative is joe shmoe never updates and becomes a botnet zombie on the net due to exploited missed security updates.

Windows 10 being 'the last' Windows version, is probably more of a service desire. It sucks ass maintaining more than 1 stream of a software product. If you're in the biz, you probably know this. So they probably just want to have only 1 stream / version of Windows they have to support.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 13, 2015, 11:37:11 PM »
Have any of you messed around w 10 yet? Or is a lot of this speculation?

I've got 8 and the 10 thing popped up several days ago.
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2015, 11:38:48 PM »
Have any of you messed around w 10 yet? Or is a lot of this speculation?

I've got 8 and the 10 thing popped up several days ago.

Speculation, it's not released yet.