Author Topic: Dirge of the Vampire Knight: A Homebrew Dark Fantasy Setting for Vampire  (Read 5339 times)

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
Dirge of the Vampire Knight: A Homebrew World of Darkness Setting

Castlevania Concept Art

This is not a realm of modern gothic tales, where Kindred rule the city from skyscraper penthouses and command blood-addicted servants to wage war against rival covenants with crowbars and bullets.  This is not a realm of our own Earth viewed through a cracked mirror, of familiar histories and figures albeit influenced by creatures beyond the shadows.  This is a world of dark fantasy, where vampires rule openly and wield sword and spell against each other, upstart mortals, and the innumerable horrors sleeping beneath the black boughs of the woods and the bones of the earth.  This is a world where science and sorcery are misunderstood and feared in equal measure, the province of witches and alchemists dealing with powers which threaten to destroy the careless practitioner.  Undead lords and ladies rule from a court shrouded in eternal night, and neonate Kindred clad themselves in plate mail so as to better operate in the sunlit realms.

Say goodbye to the World of Darkness you knew, so that we may now sing the Dirge of the Vampire Knight.

Inspiration

The World of Darkness, both Old and New, is a versatile system of many mythical beasts and genres, and yet the majority of its products are set in our own world, especially in the modern nights.  Wonder and horror can be found in equal measures amid the familiar backdrop of our world, but there is a certain kind of joy in transporting one's stories into a world and society entirely of one's own making.  A section of the Mage Chronicler's Guide discussed adopting the game into a world of Epic Fantasy, while World of Darkness: Mirrors touched upon Dark Fantasy chronicles.  On the Masquerade front, Dark Ages Vampire is getting a 20th Anniversary treatment.

This inspiration is by no means limited to tabletop: the upcoming Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night is a spiritual sequel to the acclaimed Castlevania series, and the dark fantasy world of the Witcher series makes for a fascinating setting where the confines of civilization are home to human cruelties just as pernicious as the monsters the protagonist hunts.

Although I have yet to GM a Vampire game of my own, I really like campaigns well off the beaten path.  This got me thinking: what if I were to do the same with Vampire: the Requiem?  Whether they rule from castles of stone or spires of glass and steel, the Kindred is a timeless creature, at home in any era.  And why the "real world?"  Why not be different?

Dirge of the Vampire Knight is a work in progress.  This first post is intended to provide an overview of the world of Tormil, with further articles for more specific setting detail, rules, and such.

Setting Overview

Ar-Nat Village by Andreas Rocha of deviantart

The realm of Tormil is an old and sparsely settled land of extremes.  Impenetrable forests surround meager hamlets who cut out a piece of land in the nation's dark heart, whereas the Weeping Lady Mountains of the south house the old keeps of nobles and knights of forgotten eras.  In times long past the Kindred clans came to this land and established themselves as protectors of mortal vassals and in time became the new ruling class.  An odd tradition of nobility emerged, where the gift of vitae (an old Tormil world for life-water) was taken from the mortals as tribute and granted back to a privileged few as Anointed ghouls or to join the ranks of the undead.

The people of Tormil have a common cultural history and language, but they are by no means unified.  Different Kindred dynasties and orders claim dominance over various domains, and it is only in the city of Kozhukh Lorda do they come together to debate, duel, and deal with each other in the courts of the dead.  It is not a kind world for the living or dead; the vampires are feared by their living vassals fear their powers yet rely on them so that they may be shielded from the barbarians and monsters at the gates of civilization.  Werewolves, witches, faeries, and stranger things are not only known by mortalkind, they are a real and present danger to those who travel too far off the beaten path.  Even then some dare to come into the villages and cities to wreak havoc.

Covenants

Stormkirk by Wizards of the Coast

Algebere's Torch: From the cunning folk of villages who prepare herbal remedies to the pungent laboratories of great universities, the guiding hand of Algebere's Torch influences the art of alchemy.  Although not all practitioners owe allegiance to this scholarly society, their skills are so in demand, their writings so necessary to the understanding of this occult science, that many natural philosophers count themselves as torch-bearers be they Kindred or kine.

Part natural law, part occult rituals, it is hard to tell where the mundane ends and the magical begins in regards to alchemy.  The lifesblood of Vitae, so necessary for the vampiric survival, acts as a versatile and potent reagent capable of great feats.  Although not all of their concoctions need Vitae to function, it's no secret that the inclusion of Kindred powers advanced the Torch's personal and political power.

Falcons of Dawn: This martial order of Kindred and their anointed ghouls springs from a centuries-old tradition.  Back when the first Kindred warlords carved out their territory, they found that in spite of their powers and imperious commands that the sun's curse prevented them from acting.  To prevent rival mortal nobles from torching their havens, they anointed ghouls to act as favored servants and fed their falcon companions their own blood to forge a closer bond.  Newly Embraced Kindred wore layers of dark shawls and robes to cover their bodies from the sun, acting during the day and slowly learning to overcome their natural lethargy.

The mortal warlords discovered that no longer was the shield of the sun a guaranteed victory, and the more conservative Kindred who relied upon minions to guard them while sleeping the day away were ill-prepared to fight when they made enemies of the dawn-walkers.  The advent of plate mail was a boon to this new knighthood, protecting Kindred wearers from the sword blows and sun's rays alike.  It wasn't long before the Falcons of Dawn appointed themselves as defenders of the land, learning much in the arts of battle and hunting bandits and monsters beyond the village walls.  Gifted a suit of plate mail with an embossed image of a winged sun on the breast upon their initiation, all but the most isolated domains recognize the herald of the Falcons.

Penumbral Court: The city of Kozhukh Lorda is home to a peculiar feature which vampires so enjoy: a citywide shroud of darkness blankets the skyline of the settlement and surrounding land, keeping the domain in a state of eternal night.  The horizon gradually turns darker and overcast the closer one comes to Kozhukh Lorda, regardless of the time of day, until the sun is no more and only the moon and stars shed light.

It is here that the vampiric nobility of the realm gather, the only true place where they can stay active without the curse of daysleep or the threat of Final Death by morning's light.  Mortals live within Kozhukh Lorda's walls, but they all serve the vampires in some way.  Crops and meat are imported by outlying farms to feed them, and in turn the living donate a blood tax every week at the Garden Chapel.  This holy shrine contains chalices which keep the gathered vitae warm and fresh, unable to lose its potency to time.

Sleepers in Stone: The sky and surface are the domain of the sun and moon, a hostile realm to the unwary Kindred.  But the tomb-like caves and tunnels which stretch through mother earth like veins are a safe respite from light.  Although the underworld contains its fair share of dangers, many Kindred are still driven to choose this unknown blessing over the known perils of the surface.

Whatever these ancient Kindred found in the depths, they found the remnants of a prior civilization, or so they claim, and now live amid the ruins and networks in a twisted mirror of those above.  Most surface-world folk only see the topmost outposts of the Sleepers, but those who ventured further down whisper of stranger things, of Kindred and Anointed who drink from the black blood of the earth itself, imbued with strange magic and speaking of buried gods.

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
Ok, so my initial response is simply "fuck yes!"  But, I can add some things that are maybe more substantive than that.

First, you may want to get your hands on the first Vampire:  the Dark Ages book.  That may involve just bugging me for it b/c I have it.  It nails the evocative tone you're aiming for.  You may also want to look at the anime/manga Berserk, but I hesitate to make that recommendation as I also have to mention that it comes with a host of trigger warnings. 

Second, what's the level of "fantasy" elements at work?  There's a reason I ask this.  Vampires, at least the way they are commonly conceived and especially in White Wolf's canon have a set of bailiwicks.  The set-up here is that the Kindred are the lords of the night.  But, as I've seen time and again (like, seriously, a lot of times), once you include more "mystical," for lack of a better term, supernaturals, then this set-up sort of falls apart.  If werewolves can teleport through mirrors, conjure magic spirits the size of Godzilla, Wraiths can wreak havoc while being effectively untouchable, and so on, the idea that Vampires are anything other than particularly hip punching bags strains credulity.  That's an assessment from oWoD, but it's a subtle thing that I think bears keeping an eye on.

Third, well, I've made no secret that I think oWoD and nWoD system-wise both suck.  The original oWoD at least gets a pass b/c it's, well old.  We just didn't know better in the 90s.  It was a heady time of flannels.  The latest iterations may solve this problem, or it may be worth hacking a system like Fate or Wild Talents.  I particularly like the latter for games with lots of supernatural or otherworldly powers.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
You need new Covenants?

I give you new Covenants.

You need new mechanics?

An hour and some inspiration.

As for system... The current iteration of NWoD works really well for Vampire - you just have to keep in mind that lethality is a feature, not a bug, and that bonuses and penalties are capped at ±5. If you don't, powerful Vampires peak at 58+ dice in physical dice pools, more if they are in a frenzy or whatever.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
Random question:  what's the logic of the plate mail blocking sunlight?  Clothing doesn't, right, but is the sense that plate mail or something similar is, effectively, like a house?  That is, being encased in like an inch of metal all around you is equivalent to being in a wagon or a stone keep w/r/t sunlight?

The other question is what do they do about visors?

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
Yeah; RAW, a full body covering reduces your effective Blood Potency by 2 for the purposes of damage from sunlight...

Wait, are you doing 1e or 2e? Vampires are much beefier in the latter.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
Ok, so my initial response is simply "fuck yes!"  But, I can add some things that are maybe more substantive than that.

First, you may want to get your hands on the first Vampire:  the Dark Ages book.  That may involve just bugging me for it b/c I have it.  It nails the evocative tone you're aiming for.  You may also want to look at the anime/manga Berserk, but I hesitate to make that recommendation as I also have to mention that it comes with a host of trigger warnings. 

Second, what's the level of "fantasy" elements at work?  There's a reason I ask this.  Vampires, at least the way they are commonly conceived and especially in White Wolf's canon have a set of bailiwicks.  The set-up here is that the Kindred are the lords of the night.  But, as I've seen time and again (like, seriously, a lot of times), once you include more "mystical," for lack of a better term, supernaturals, then this set-up sort of falls apart.  If werewolves can teleport through mirrors, conjure magic spirits the size of Godzilla, Wraiths can wreak havoc while being effectively untouchable, and so on, the idea that Vampires are anything other than particularly hip punching bags strains credulity.  That's an assessment from oWoD, but it's a subtle thing that I think bears keeping an eye on.

Third, well, I've made no secret that I think oWoD and nWoD system-wise both suck.  The original oWoD at least gets a pass b/c it's, well old.  We just didn't know better in the 90s.  It was a heady time of flannels.  The latest iterations may solve this problem, or it may be worth hacking a system like Fate or Wild Talents.  I particularly like the latter for games with lots of supernatural or otherworldly powers.

VtR 2nd Edition is what I'm doing, btw.  VtM 20th brought back the botch mechanics, which make you more likely to 'critical fumble' the higher your dice pool gets.  Plus, VtR 2nd has been playtested by folks outside the Onyx Path designers and closed up a lot of problematic rules from 1st Edition, which is why I want to use that ruleset.

In the rules if a vampire wears articles of clothing which can cover his entire body save for his eyes (such as plate armor), then his Blood Potency is 1 lower than normal for sunlight damage.  It's possible to reach a minimum effective BP of 0, which makes one immune to sunlight damage (in the case of ghouls and the like).  However, vampires who strain to remain awake during the day have the Lethargic condition and suffer a penalty to most rolls.  The Ordo Dracul has a Coil which can eliminate said penalties, which I plan on incorporating into the Falcons of Dawn.

And yes, I plan on checking out Dark Ages Vampire.

I should clarify that I'm not exactly keen on crossover stuff, and the Falcons and various Kindred are expected to fight monsters as a potential adventure in this game.  As such, I might do reworked werewolves/witches/etc using a universal antagonist set instead of incorporating a new mini-game or sub-system for each type.  Although it's not NWoD, VtM 20th Anniversary handled this in a clever way with werewolves and mages by just giving them vampire disciplines to replicate certain abilities.  I might do something like that.  I already have ideas for monster-hunting fighting styles and equipment, such as a chain-whip made of cold iron suitable for immobilizing fey.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2015, 07:19:29 PM by Libertad »

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
Although it's not NWoD, VtM 20th Anniversary handled this in a clever way with werewolves and mages by just giving them vampire disciplines to replicate certain abilities.  I might do something like that.
Everything that is old is new again.  This is the way White Wolf traditionally used to handle "crossover" material, although I don't know to what extent that changed with the move over to the new line. 

Anyway, I won't belabor the rules anymore as I think it's more distracting from whatever you're talking about.  Although the nature of the monsters, and how they fit into the mythos of the game, is a worthwhile and interesting question.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
Although it's not NWoD, VtM 20th Anniversary handled this in a clever way with werewolves and mages by just giving them vampire disciplines to replicate certain abilities.  I might do something like that.
Everything that is old is new again.  This is the way White Wolf traditionally used to handle "crossover" material, although I don't know to what extent that changed with the move over to the new line. 

Anyway, I won't belabor the rules anymore as I think it's more distracting from whatever you're talking about.  Although the nature of the monsters, and how they fit into the mythos of the game, is a worthwhile and interesting question.

They stopped doing it officially, though - which was kinda silly. Still, the Disciplines are flexible enough to work for all kinds of monsters.

Would you mind a donation?

Here is Psychokinesis, which I whipped up for a guy who wanted to do Legacy of Kain. There's a set of Devotions for it here.

Would you like me to brainstorm mechanics for the different Covenants?

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
They stopped doing it officially, though - which was kinda silly. Still, the Disciplines are flexible enough to work for all kinds of monsters.

Would you mind a donation?

Here is Psychokinesis, which I whipped up for a guy who wanted to do Legacy of Kain. There's a set of Devotions for it here.

Would you like me to brainstorm mechanics for the different Covenants?

Psychokinesis is very cool, although I don't know how I'd incorporate it yet setting-wise.

Feel free to brainstorm stuff.  Although I kind of have an overlying idea of related themes for the covenants.

Algebere's Torch has Alchemy, a supernatural thing akin to Cruac or Theban Sorcery.  The majority of its uses are external, and tend to focus around changing stuff in the environment.  Dissolving acid, a wasting poison, metallurgy improving the quality of metal items, etc.

Personally I'm imagining that alchemists would carry around bandoleers, pouches, and handheld materials which they use to do their work in the field.  By mixing the contents of a few beakers and a successful roll, they can use a power.  Some alchemic rites might be more involved and require a laboratory and such.  I haven't thought up much on the costs for certain rites: I was thinking some would require Vitae, while others can incorporate Vitae as an optional ingredient which provides a bonus to rolls.

Sleepers in Stone has Witchcraft, which is intended to be a lot like Cruac.  Personally I'm not against incorporating existing spells from that and Theban into this game, but I do want my covenants to have their own unique stuff.

One thing I was thinking of was that the Sleepers have access to Wellsprings, 1-5 Merits of underground pools of black, mucky substance brimming with power.  Believed to be the "blood of the earth," it can be consumed and grant either real or shadow Vitae which can be used for certain activities (haven't decided on which).  However, earth-blood tends to impart disturbing visions into the drinker.  Some of the more powerful Witchcraft rites require the expenditure of Wellspring Vitae in order to use.

Falcons of Dawn will get Regimens, things akin to the Ordo Dracul revolving around personal enhancement to one's own abilities, as well as some exclusive Fighting Style merits.

And I plan for allowing either Covenant Status and/or Merits to substitute Resources when it comes to covenant-specific materials.  For existing Merits, such as Carthian Law and Invictus Blood Oaths, I might incorporate them into the setting on a case-by-case basis.  I can see the Penumbral Court making use of Blood Oaths, and possibly Carthian Law within Kozhukh Lorda, although both for one covenant might be overpowered.