Author Topic: Jurassic Park & World  (Read 2798 times)

Offline Psysama

• Personal Pizza
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dnd-wiki.org
Jurassic Park & World
« on: June 23, 2015, 10:52:03 PM »
Okay, the Velociraptors in the Jurassic Series have MUCH more intelligence than the standard "2" of all animals.  Also I would LOVE to have the stats of the Indominus Rex from Jurassic World  (that thing is...wow).  I would love to have these stats available soon, so I am calling upon the help of anyone and everyone.  Ummm...the Raptor will PROBABLY be similar to the Deinonychus in the Monster Manual in size...but that's about it.  Remember, these are Genetically Engineered creatures.  The Indominus is probably this size of the T-Rex in Monster Manual (Said at full size to be about 50 ft long).  Pretty please?  I am doing this for a boss battle in my campaign I am running from home.
Signature here.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
Re: Jurassic Park & World
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 03:19:16 AM »
i may see the movie this week.  I'll try to find info either way.

Offline Gnomes2169

• Dragon derp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 03:48:23 AM »
Well, which edition are you looking for? I would love to help make far more terrifying dinos, but need something to work with beyond "Okay, this is an idea, aaaaaand go!" :P
Erry day I'm derpening

Offline SolEiji

• Epic Member
  • I am 120% Eiji.
    • View Profile
    • D&D Wiki.org, not .com
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 06:27:21 AM »
Okay, the Velociraptors in the Jurassic Series have MUCH more intelligence than the standard "2" of all animals.  Also I would LOVE to have the stats of the Indominus Rex from Jurassic World  (that thing is...wow).  I would love to have these stats available soon, so I am calling upon the help of anyone and everyone.  Ummm...the Raptor will PROBABLY be similar to the Deinonychus in the Monster Manual in size...but that's about it.  Remember, these are Genetically Engineered creatures.  The Indominus is probably this size of the T-Rex in Monster Manual (Said at full size to be about 50 ft long).  Pretty please?  I am doing this for a boss battle in my campaign I am running from home.

The augmented raptors struck me as still subhuman, but yes, above Int 2.  My gut says 6; they are violent, vicious children.

Indominus is trickier, since he is downright clever.  10+.
Mudada.

Offline Psysama

• Personal Pizza
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dnd-wiki.org
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 10:30:17 PM »
Well, which edition are you looking for? I would love to help make far more terrifying dinos, but need something to work with beyond "Okay, this is an idea, aaaaaand go!" :P
Sorry forgot to state.  3.5e is the version I am going for.
Signature here.

Offline Gnomes2169

• Dragon derp
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 11:51:39 PM »
Ah, alright then. So we're going complex here...

Raptors
Velociraptors should have 6-7 int, as much stealth as you can get (or hide and move silently in 3.5, the camouflage ability/ feat should be helpful here), an extra hit die or two, and +2 dexterity. Maybe throw in 1d6 or 2d6 sneak attack? Not sure what else goes into designing an ambush predator beyond that, but as far as a low-CR critter goes that seems like it might be comprehensive.

Indomidus
The Indomidus Rex, on the other hand, it a different beast entirely. You need to add two claw attacks and a stomp attack (a slam if you can't find a way to scale a stomp) to the T-Rex's multiattack. The indomidus has long arms, uses all of its natural weapons to the greatest effect, and is a mixture between bruiser and ambush predator. It is at least as smart as your average human, and given its ability to formulate tactical takedowns, learn about its imprisonment and the purpose of its tracking chip, and knowing that it could dominate velociraptors, I would give it an int of at least 14, likely closer to 16. Maxed hide and the camouflage trait to demonstrate its ability to literally change its skin color, and then Darkstalker (at least I think that's the name of the feat, it allows you to bypass blindsight, blindsense and pretty much everything but conventional sight) to demonstrate its ability to escape heat sensors.

Hit dice should probably be increased by 6-8 over a T-rex, given how it was able to thrash the big T after a long day of being shot, smacked, ripped into raptors and electrocuted. Natural armor should be 1-2 higher as well, and dexterity should likely be bumped up to 14 (raptor genes and all that).

Its attack plan would probably be to ambush your players, waiting until someone suitably squishy and caster looking passes by it (since it is more than intelligent enough to recognize the threat posed by a magic user)which it multi-attacks and swallows whole. After that, it would tear apart anything stupid enough to engage in melee with it, or go after the next caster character. Just remember, a full attack on anything squishy from this critter will likely lead to "dead on contact" syndrome, so be ready to actually kill player characters when the Indomidus comes around. It would be a disservice to all dinosaurs everywhere if you didn't. :P

Oh... it probably has a higher CR than the T-Rex, and is most definitely at least Gargantuan, if not Colossal, so be sure to scale its natural weapons appropriately. It definitely has improved crit on that bite attack.
Erry day I'm derpening