Author Topic: [Archive] ... d&d timeline , speed dump finished  (Read 9512 times)

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
Re: [Archive] ... d&d timeline , speed dump finished
« Reply #20 on: December 16, 2015, 11:48:55 AM »
Since there's no sorting pre 37k (aside from 1 silly multiplicative word phrase that should be additive, just prior to recorded histories), I propose that everything listed prior happened in 1k or 2k years. That's still a long time and I see no other limited parameter preventing that.

Then a DM simply has to enforce 40k years of stasis (as per a standard 'status quo' meme) and there are more years where everything has been the same compared to when things would change. This makes it at minimum twice as difficult to have intelligent races, communicative hold said history. Further iterations could be implemented until the likelihood of having 'history' approaches zero.

The only challenge would be immortal or racial memory races, unless there are non-deteriorating methods to store information that I am not aware of.... Magic items perhaps? I think I'll start another thread: here

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 16, 2015, 05:21:29 PM »
Heh interesting implications.

The yugoloth's histories are presented
in FC1 as perhaps entirely propaganda,
even if they occasionally concur with the
soon-to-be duped.

I did prefer Rip's history because of the
legit referencing, but I don't think eithers'
intentions were to be inaccurate.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2017, 11:41:30 AM »
Might also want to check here and here.

The first is a date conversion tool for most of the major campaign settings in D&D, and the second is a serious and referenced attempt at finding the bridging points where singular events are referenced in more than one setting, thus giving a cross-campaign mega-timeline.

Both are pretty well researched.

It also looks like the OP didn't mention the eras of the primordial ages in the Prime Material.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2017, 01:50:11 PM »
V Nice.

The first one has a reference to 2e Chronomancy.
Without complaining too hard, it'd be way easier to ignore ALL temporal stuff, until a full "time"-timeline is done.  Then  add in any Chrono-stuff as like a Marvel Cosmic continuity problem.  And of course c.o. says pun-pun here as code word for t.o. time tricks.

I call it Deep Time.
Le'Shays , Atropus , Pandorym , Erebus , Far Realms , maybe Old Ones , figure in.
But say with Deities & Demigawds, each "canon" pantheon has it's own deep time era and myths.
I've no real idea where to draw the line.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2017, 05:05:50 PM »
As the various pantheons span one or more Primes, that fact can be used to resolve the apparent conundrum: cross pollination of myths and legends from multiple Primes, regardless of what is actually the true history in any one given Prime.

The Powers all brag and talk and claim all sorts of crap anyway, you think some Power is going to let the opportunity pass by to gain face and cred amongst other Powers, regardless of which Prime they happen to be a big shot in? Besides, if no one actually goes to check, or if they don't happen to mention specifically which Prime all that supposedly happened in, who's going to know?

Offline Nifft

• Bad At Lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2017, 04:57:25 PM »
I call it Deep Time.
Le'Shays , Atropus , Pandorym , Erebus , Far Realms , maybe Old Ones , figure in.
But say with Deities & Demigawds, each "canon" pantheon has it's own deep time era and myths.
I've no real idea where to draw the line.

If you're looking at vaguely recent stuff, then there's timeline shenanigans in 3.5e as well, for example in Lords of Madness.

The Aboleth chapter talks about how Aboleths might have come from the previous universe -- that would be "Deep Time" indeed.

There's also a section in the Mind Flayers chapter that talks about how Illithids came from the future to assure their empire of its eventual ascendance.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2017, 04:51:06 PM »
Niice.
I didn't read the fluff of LoM very closely (didn't think I needed to) (my kitty avatar didn't think it needed to).
 :)

The hyena post has what looks like parallel stuff to the FC1 Aboleths + Piscaethces.
http://www.minmaxboards.com/index.php?topic=16384.msg288328#msg288328
Off hand quote from FC1 is something like: The Blood Queen surfs the probabilities between the Planes.

It might just be me, but I think some of the fluff writers over the decades,
may have used Euphemisms for the Far Realms, to indicate just that,
and Not yet some more obscure corners.  I don't know one way or the other.
It'd require a quiz/clarification of each writer.