Author Topic: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater  (Read 236914 times)

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
Re: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater
« Reply #200 on: May 03, 2016, 09:23:25 AM »
Just finished Tales of Zestiria. Was adaquate for a JRPG, nothing groundbreaking. Slightly confusing combat/upgrades system but otherwise fine.

The story however:
(click to show/hide)

It is also lacking my favorite tales spell. Indignation does turn up as a boss only spell but that barely counts.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2016, 09:38:05 AM by littha »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 03, 2016, 11:45:57 AM »
I just realized that we'll get another Elder Scrolls game before Half life 3 and I don't know if i should laugh or cry....
The good news is Doom 3 happened so if nothing else just wait another ninety years.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #202 on: May 03, 2016, 11:58:17 AM »
Valve is just worried that HL3 won't survive the hype. And they're probably right.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 03, 2016, 04:43:01 PM »
I just realized that we'll get another Elder Scrolls game before Half life 3 and I don't know if i should laugh or cry....
The good news is Doom 3 happened so if nothing else just wait another ninety years.

My son is now older than the gap between half life and half life 2 episode 2.....

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 03, 2016, 05:25:02 PM »
I keep hearing how the new doom game is just call of duty with the Doom name stapled on it...

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: May 04, 2016, 12:18:36 AM »
speaking of call of duty...they ( Infinity Ward) decided to bundle the remaster version of modern warfare with Infinite Warfare...but if you have to buy the legacy edition which means they bundled it that way to insure that the more pricey version would get bought up.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 04, 2016, 05:14:20 AM »
Dawn of War 3 announced. Excited.  :D

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 04, 2016, 06:59:15 AM »

Hell yes. Just hope they get all the races in for once.

In the meantime, Vermintide will keep me going

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 04, 2016, 10:54:20 AM »
http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/2/11568964/nintendo-nx-price-loss so, they are banking on nintendo fans to be typical nintendo fans and hope that nostalgia works on everyone else or people want a second console that will more than likely be under proformace as compared to the others. Hopefully with the NX they can regain those third party publishers who said no thanks to the WII U..but then again Nintendo was never really about third party to begin with. 

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 04, 2016, 11:02:24 AM »

Hell yes. Just hope they get all the races in for once.

In the meantime, Vermintide will keep me going

By the looks of it we are getting 3 to start with (Space Maries/Orks/Eldar) but I imagine that will expand at some point. 40k really has too many races to properly represent in a RTS in any sort of balance.

Also the campaign story makes no sense whatsoever if there are too many at once. The soulstorm campaign had an immersion breaking number of factions fighting over a relatively small area.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #210 on: May 04, 2016, 11:20:07 AM »
You seem to be implying that 40K tabletop is balanced.

Also it's 40K. Half the factions are using technology that's over 10 000 year old and we're supposed to believe it remained exactly as viable while the other factions were doing super R&D. And then the sergeants and captains of your army never bother with helmets and are wielding chainswords instead of proper guns. "Immersion" was thrown out the window from 40k's very start to make room for rule of cool. Only 3 starting factions is lazy as fuck.

Gameplay screenshots. If you told me those were DoW 2 graphics, I would believe you.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2016, 11:22:02 AM by oslecamo »

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: May 04, 2016, 11:24:33 AM »
Gameplay screenshots. If you told me those were DoW 2 graphics, I would believe you.

I wouldn't - that's far too many units for a DoW2 fight. Always hated that after the first game when you could have actual armies.  :shakefist

Offline Nunkuruji

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I shall bring great terror
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: May 04, 2016, 04:13:30 PM »
http://www.polygon.com/2016/5/2/11568964/nintendo-nx-price-loss so, they are banking on nintendo fans to be typical nintendo fans and hope that nostalgia works on everyone else or people want a second console that will more than likely be under proformace as compared to the others. Hopefully with the NX they can regain those third party publishers who said no thanks to the WII U..but then again Nintendo was never really about third party to begin with.

Another big problem is they don't really 'get' online. They've made a mess of youtube relations. The Mario Maker publishing & sharing system could have been so much better.

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: May 04, 2016, 04:41:07 PM »

I wouldn't - that's far too many units for a DoW2 fight. Always hated that after the first game when you could have actual armies.  :shakefist
I respect that Relic tried to do something different with DoW2.  I think it was ultimately a big step back from DoW, which was a really great game, but still, I can see what they were going for.

All of that wouldn't have been all that big a deal if they didn't wait so long between games ...

I was sort of hoping they were just focusing on 3 races in the trailer for the obvious 3 symmetry.  But, we'll see.  The biggest problem is that now I really want to do some Warhammer 40k RPGing, but all the licensed ones kinda suck and I don't really have anyone to run it.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: May 05, 2016, 07:27:34 AM »
I was sort of hoping they were just focusing on 3 races in the trailer for the obvious 3 symmetry.  But, we'll see.  The biggest problem is that now I really want to do some Warhammer 40k RPGing, but all the licensed ones kinda suck and I don't really have anyone to run it.

I actually quite like Dark Crusade and Rogue Trader. They are fairly brutal but can be fun if you find the right group.

You seem to be implying that 40K tabletop is balanced.

Oh, god no. 40k has worse balance issues than 3.5 and that is saying something.
RTS games in concept can be balanced though but as the number of races/units increases the difficulty of doing so rises exponentially.

Offline Unbeliever

• Legendary Member
  • gentleman gamer
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: May 05, 2016, 02:41:17 PM »

I actually quite like Dark Crusade and Rogue Trader. They are fairly brutal but can be fun if you find the right group.
This is totally opinionated on my part, which is to say there's no argument or value judgment to it.  I liked Black Crusade the most of all of them, even though I am not in love with playing Chaos.  There are two elements of the whole FFG approach that turn me off.  They are awfully rules-heavy, which in and of itself isn't a problem except they combine that with being pretty restrictive on concepts, which is a combo I don't love.  And, there is a strong ... I guess I'll call it gamist element to them.  There were times where the game almost forces you not to think about your character or your concept in making a decision but what will give you the most requisition or covenant points or whatever. 

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #217 on: May 06, 2016, 01:45:43 AM »
Oh, god no. 40k has worse balance issues than 3.5 and that is saying something.
RTS games in concept can be balanced though but as the number of races/units increases the difficulty of doing so rises exponentially.

I can count the number of RTS that could be called balanced in one hand, that being Starcraft I and Total Anihilation. Maybe C&C 2 and Starcraft 2.

However this is Sega we're talking about. CoH 2 had pretty crap balance and has only been getting worst since they started adding pay-to-win DLC commanders and...

And in Total War Warhammer, chaos was a pre-order-only faction...

Oh gods please no...

DoW III is gonna be a DLC-fest game where every race besides SM, orks and eldar demands you to fork out extra money, isn't it? Milk it as much as possible... FFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Thanks gods DoW I still has a decent modding community.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #218 on: May 06, 2016, 12:57:02 PM »
AoEII is decently balanced. There are few civs that can be considered to have a definite advantage, and it's mostly player skill that determines the outcome. Of course, in a random map/random civ scenario, you can be SoL if your opponent gets say, Vikings, and you get Mayans, who have crappy navy.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: May 06, 2016, 10:50:26 PM »
MTGPQ's newest money grab.

They are introducing their first dual-color walker. Kiora. Complete with game breaking abilities like 1st is +6 mana & -6 to your opponent for six points, for twelve points you can fetch the next creature in your library and give it 16 mana (brokenz!), and for twenty four you can trigger her nuke. Unlike say Jace whom just kicks out a couple -7 traps, or Gideon's +4/+4 & Defender & Berseker to one creature, or Liliana's everyone brings a creature back, or Nissa's very powerful convert 20 gems to green, or Chandra's recently super buffed 25 damage fireball, or w/e else there is these days. Kiora kicks out a 32/32 creature. Oh and it has Reach so it can block everything which should wipe your opponent's creatures and it also has Trample so even if your opponent summons a new creature on their next turn you'll still hit for 20+ damage anyway. >.>
(click to show/hide)
Want a slice of that? Well if you thought $14.99 for a freaking walker to play as was pocket change you're in luck. It costs $49.99 to use. One fucking card to use in a Facebook style game for the price of say, the newest entire Fallout game on the PS4 (or w/e the hell number it's up to), or two of Fallouts if you're a Steam user (suck it consoles!). They are also doing the 0.0001%er again, Tezzert to the top ten winners over the weekend's Quick Battle. Oh, and they also sectioned off a bunch of the mythic rares. It was utterly impossible to get a couple of them through packs (they were fully programmed and the AIs even used them in story mode, just litterally impossible to get in a pack) until this week's fix, so if you dumped a couple thousand trying to collect them all surprise to need to dump another couple thousand to access the ones that are now *unlocked*. Specially since damn near everyone playing white wants the Lantern Scout which I believe shows up in the tutorial, it grants all allies lifelink when it comes into play. No freebies offered to compensate for their fuck up either.

In other news. I picked up Dragonball Xenoverse while it was 66% off last week. Piccolo is my trainer and I've used the Evil Explosion wave only (well, using charge in between, but I'm not even punching people here) to kill everyone in the first four parallel missions and I even got a Skill Up message (I have no idea what for) but Piccolo is like meh. What are the mechanics behind the scenes here? Do I *have* to hit enemies with it? Can I fire it off into empty space? How many times do I have to use a move before the trainer offers his next mission? etc.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2016, 12:08:24 AM by SorO_Lost »