Author Topic: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater  (Read 236938 times)

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
Re: Videogame Discussion III - Snake Eater
« Reply #480 on: April 07, 2017, 02:11:41 PM »
That reminds me, I've been playing Xenoblade Chronicles X. For the most part, the last three or four hours had been grinding so I could get past Chapter 5... where for some reason you're set up against enemies some 10+ levels above what you're supposed to be on regions with only two or three entry points because fuck you, you can't have your giant robot yet, neener neener. And then you have a "boss fight" where you are up against 4 lvl 16 dudes in mechas that can't even harass you for half your HP bar.

Yes, the game expects you to beat level 26-30 enemies at level 16 with no access to overdrive (basically your character gets seriously crazy powerful for like 20 seconds) and then presents you with a "boss fight" that was already a cakewalk BEFORE you started grinding.

I really like this game, but I feel like I'm constantly going uphill and tumbling back down. Sometimes literally, as the game expects you to explore mountains by jumping around and hoping to catch onto an edge or something.
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 07, 2017, 02:25:40 PM »
I recently hit up Xenoblade Chronicles x as well and been freakin lovin the hell out of it. I can't even complain about the obvious annoyances you mentioned. I love it too much~

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 07, 2017, 02:50:11 PM »
I'm sure I'll go on a bender with it as soon as I get my Skell.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 07, 2017, 04:09:15 PM »
I haven't even gotten to drive a robot yet lol. And I've got like 20-30 hours in it. I'm terribly slow and having way too much fun just exploring places way over my level range.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 07, 2017, 08:45:35 PM »
How are you doing that when half the stuff is on top of impassable (on foot) mountain ranges?

Give me internets. Now.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 08, 2017, 04:19:43 PM »
I am stupidly dedicated to jumping up the tallest mountains and accidentally landing on little bits probably not intended to be stood on  :lmao

Or swimming the entire circumference of a continent just to find that one way to jump up the cliffside.

I really should have just done the plot and made my life easier. But I have definitely gotten to a few places that clearly look intended to not be reached on foot. It's hardest inside caves that have ledges or pathways you need a Skell to fly up to, and then I manage to exploit some walls and running jumps and get up there anyways -_-'

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: April 10, 2017, 01:41:17 AM »
I beat my first divine beast in BotW and I can't decide if I'm mildly depressed or somewhat amused.

I had accepted you didn't get anything for doing any of the divine beasts except opening new after-battle quests which came at the cost of the entire world getting a monster update making them all even more powerful (like one hit kills need more damage). So I was avoiding them like the fucking plague of setting a game to super-hard mode when you can't even survive on noob mode. But it turns out each "dungeon" gives you a permanent "item" and a bonus heart container sort of like an actual Zelda game. So I choose the bird and cleared it.

The predecessor series to enter it was better than the lava lizard beast, flying around with infinite stamina shooting bomb arrows was fun but fleetingly short. I suppose it's a good thing since all four turrets posed zero challenge and the infinite stamina made things pretty trivial turning the entire thing into a repetitive glide over there and shoot twice deal you had to do four times in a row. The dungeon was less of a dungeon and more of a hit this one point on the map multiplied by six times and each point was a mini-shrine puzzle taking at beast a quarter second to figure out. Well, at least it would have it they didn't introduce a new mechanic of changing gravity by tilting the bird which was barely alluded to in the rapidly skipped text leading to this frustrating moment of how the hell do you do this because no one checks a map for clickable settings. It was just different short enough to make the beast feel a little unique, through I doubt the go visit five points thing by the fourth beast (and another forty shrines later) will feel like anything but copypasta. The boss, well what boss? He came out, I shot a few arrows at his face while standing on the ground, he threw a tornado, I thought about jumping into the wind things and using all that gliding-shot training, and then he appeared near the ground so I just hit him with the Master Sword. He fell down and I hit him some more and entered stage 2 which consisted or running past his torpedoes and whacking him with the Master Sword again causing him to fall down and get hit some more and he died. You can't have a puzzle-boss that needs a new weapon to be used in a cool unique way if the game gives you all four "items" in the introduction and then spams their using 120 times. Boring snooze fest.

But I got the bird power which allows me to summon an updraft. I expected this thing so suck like setting grass on fire and generally be a waste of time to ever use but you actually get some really good height with it. It's x3 usage pool can even offset trying to explore while it's raining outside by boosting you a considerable way up a mountain range. But it has a massive downside, they half-assed it's cooldown. Instead of say recovering one use every two minutes the remaining charges will simply persist indefinitely. Like if you use two of them to reach a certain area you'll be left with the decision to pointlessly waste the third usage right now to start it's five minute recovery for all three charges, or let it remain at a single use for days and pray you don't reach a point where you wished you had more than one charge.

Overall, best ability in the game.
Like the best. The other divine beasts unlock a increased shield defense (pointless), a super fairy recovery (you can pick up x5 of those and a load of useful ingredients with a quick teleport), and nothing more than access to a side quest for lightning bolt immunity. Except as I understand it upgrading the rubber suit does exactly the same thing anyway. So yeah, the bird is the only fun one.

Edit - There are apparently a lot of lv4 Guardian Scouts to fight in shrines. About half the shrines in the upper left area of the map are them and I've reached a point in player skill where I just mop the floor with them. If you're having problems, Stasis+ works abnormally long on them and can easily be obtained. First practice parry'ing their shots on the lookout, just hit A when you hear the last ding, then form the look out to Hyrule Field there will be a Guardian near some stone ruins. You can step behind a wall and save your game in between each successful parry and load as needed instead of needing the ability to parry three times in a row. Note if you save while the Guardian still has a line of sight to you it'll automatically fire when you exit the menu as either a means of preventing you from normally saving like this, or as their cooldown suggests they have no concept of how to handle timers.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 01:31:11 AM by SorO_Lost »

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #487 on: April 11, 2017, 01:55:46 AM »
Bit of old news, but Wow got a stealth patch that made basic enemies get stronger the better your character's bling.

The effect was so loopsided that players were better off swapping their top tier items for worst equipment! :lmao

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 11, 2017, 07:14:33 PM »
I just got my mech in Xenoblade and BOY IS IT OVERPOWERED

Give me internets. Now.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 12, 2017, 01:03:09 AM »

What chapter does that happen? I wanna know how far off I am.

For reference, I'm only at the start of Chapter 6 (I can start it anyways, haven't started it yet too busy exploring and doing side quests  :lmao )

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 12, 2017, 10:25:18 AM »
so, I finally figured out how to add my own images as paintings to fallout 4 yeah me! ^_^ lol

EDIT: I have learned that when the apocalypse happens,the best tool to have with you is adhesive, also nuclear weapons can break the square-cube law....... 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 11:17:54 AM by trappedslider »

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 12, 2017, 11:33:57 AM »
EDIT: I have learned that when the apocalypse happens, the best tool to have with you is adhesive
Duct tape is right up there with a knife and bic lighter in terms of survivalist kits.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #492 on: April 12, 2017, 12:23:49 PM »
EDIT: I have learned that when the apocalypse happens, the best tool to have with you is adhesive
Duct tape is right up there with a knife and bic lighter in terms of survivalist kits.

A bic lighter is indeed a lifesaver, the flints on those things last forever. Even when the gas is long gone, the flints are still useful AF.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 12, 2017, 01:56:48 PM »

What chapter does that happen? I wanna know how far off I am.

For reference, I'm only at the start of Chapter 6 (I can start it anyways, haven't started it yet too busy exploring and doing side quests  :lmao )
You can take the sidequests that grant you a Skell License as soon as you're done with Chapter 6. Some of them you might have finished already.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 12, 2017, 07:15:35 PM »
Woo! Beat Total War: Warhammer on campaign mode for the first time.

Was playing as Von Carstein (the special Undead start) and garnered the last provinces, oddly enough, by being paid to change from Defensive Alliance to Military Alliance with the Wood Elves. Also, starting with the ability to bury enemies under a swarm of Vargheists is a bit powerful... and makes sieges, if anything, easier than normal battles.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: April 14, 2017, 02:23:40 PM »
So apparently to upgrade my Barbarian Armor in BotW I need to kill Lynels who are the real hardest class of creatures in the game to kill, with the silver manes being the highest color palette swap. They seem deadly but they suck so bad in melee it's mostly a deal of "do you have enough durability to deal 3,000 damage"?. Heck, you don't even have to dodge their charge attacks, Stasis+ gives you free hits and they are auto-stunned immediately following that giving you a nice time saving heavy arms spin for some rapid damage. And their slightly faster triple swing allows even mistimed back flips to trigger a flurry.

I think upgrading the barbarian armor is going to be the easiest set to upgrade in the game so far.

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 14, 2017, 09:39:42 PM »
Recently F04 surpassed F03 and FNV mod wise on Nexus :

F04
18K files
192M DLs

FNV
17K files
174M DLs

F03
14K files
106M DLs

The real question then becomes the break down of the mods how many are bodyslides and so on and so forth lol

While SKSE hasn't even gotten above 6k files, which is due in part to not having the Script Extender updated yet.

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #497 on: April 14, 2017, 10:05:03 PM »
So apparently to upgrade my Barbarian Armor in BotW I need to kill Lynels who are the real hardest class of creatures in the game to kill, with the silver manes being the highest color palette swap. They seem deadly but they suck so bad in melee it's mostly a deal of "do you have enough durability to deal 3,000 damage"?. Heck, you don't even have to dodge their charge attacks, Stasis+ gives you free hits and they are auto-stunned immediately following that giving you a nice time saving heavy arms spin for some rapid damage. And their slightly faster triple swing allows even mistimed back flips to trigger a flurry.

I think upgrading the barbarian armor is going to be the easiest set to upgrade in the game so far.

5000 damage for the Silver Ones

You get free-hits while they're on their back. It takes no durability off of the weapon.

The optimal strategy to farm Lynels, as far as i am aware:

After you spot the Lynel, approach and, before he notices and starts his charge/pull out his bow, use Revali's Gale to get a lot of height, and use your best bow to pummel the shit out of the Lynel with Shock Arrows while you descend.

If you play your cards right, he'll stun, and you'll be able to land next to him and mount him. While still descending, switch to your best weapon and mount and beat him senseless until he bucks you off. Get clear of him, and use Revali's Gale again, pummeling with arrows. Stun, mount, repeat.

If done right, you'll only use the durability of the bow, not the weapon, and you SHOULD be able to kill him with the three uses of Revali's Gale.

Higher level Lynels always drop at least 10 shock/frost/fire arrows and a bow, so it's not like you're losing out by going with this strategy. And you can always use regular arrows, they deal less damage, but much easier to come by.

If you somehow didn't manage to drop the Lynel with the 3 uses of Revali's Gale, not all is lost.

Use the Master Sword, as it is effectively unbreakable. It's a bit harder to get the dodge timing for Flurry Rushes on the Lynels, but it's pretty doable. The Charge is the easiest one to get the timing for, while the spin to win is the hardest. Try and get flurry rushes whenever possible, but if not, Stasis+ will make short work of the Lynel.

By following these simple steps, farming Lynels should become as easy and pain-free as it can be. It  often takes more than the 10 minutes for the Master Sword + Revali's Gale to recharge for you to get to the next Lynel, so you can continuously farm end-level gear from them without expending much or any of your resources or having downtime to go to town and buy more gear. You don't even need to heal most of the time.
"All the pride and pleasure of the world, mirrored in the dull consciousness of a fool, are poor indeed compared with the imagination of Cervantes writing his Don Quixote in a miserable prison" - Schopenhauer, Aphorisms: The Wisdom of Life

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 15, 2017, 12:02:34 AM »
If you play your cards right, he'll stun, and you'll be able to land next to him and mount him.
So that's what mounting them is supposed to do. I tried to tame it.  :lmao
Edit - Quickly looked into it. Based on the Youtube video of your tactic of spamming dozens of shock arrows to stun them, they drop to the same stun position a Stasis hit does. Per gamefaqs's forum mounted hits also do not deplete durability. So I'll experiment tomorrow but more than likely I can simply walk up to them and use Stasis to stun, mount, and murder them without depleting weapons. So thanks for the mounted bashing hit tip, but I won't have to use a single arrow or wait on cooldowns thanks to mastering their very simplistic sword & board tactics.

You don't really need Revali's Gale. If you have the Sheik-suit most of them are pretty easy to sneak up on for those bonus hits via mounting. Other than that like I said they are pretty basic. They have three "ranges", close they either go into a triple strike you just keep back flipping (early is better than late, also easy flurry trigger) or a double weapon hug also countered by a backflip. It's only third choice is to jump back and enter medium range. At medium it does one of three things, a running charge counter by (surprise!) a back flip, a charge where he drops to all six limbs and pauses before running and it's very easy to trigger a furry with a side jump, or the easily dodgable breath weapon that creates an updraft if there is grass (skipping the need for the gale). Long range he uses a bow which can be dodged like normal. Stasis spam is also extremely helpful but it has a very short duration best for breaking charging attacks on the silvers and as long as you hit them once they drop into a stun for more free hits. Also silvers have an area fireball attack with enough of a delay it should only hit you once, from then on all you should know to run away, it gives you more than enough time to get out of there.

The cold area with two silvers is a pain through, still working on the club-style's tactics (and apparently out of the five locations I farm none of them use spears) plus you have to use stuff for the cold weather which tends to cost some defense/offense boosts. His spin seems to hit on the last arc and I keep backflipping early and taking the full force of a 78 damage weapon to the crotch. I'll just have to google a lower tiered club Lynel location for practice at some point. But the sword & border always seems to spawn in the Colosseum and by far seems the easiest to deal with.

Went ahead and cleared the elephant too for the reusable super fairy. I now have Silver Bobkins on the lookout and they seem to have a ton of HP.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 12:56:24 AM by SorO_Lost »

Offline brujon

• Epic Member
  • Insufferable Fool
    • View Profile
    • My Blog (in PT-BR)
« Reply #499 on: April 15, 2017, 08:49:14 AM »
Yeah, whenever it's cold or hot, you have to choose whether to endure, taking damage, or lose the clothing dmg+ or the lose potion dmg+.

Another useful tip, use a dragon horn on any recipe to take its effects to 30 minutes, and a star fragment guarantees a critical.  Scales bump it to 10 minutes and fangs to 15 or 20 minutes, i'm not 100% sure.

The Ancient Guardian set is better than the Barbarian Armor if you're using Ancient Guardian Weapons, which are plentiful and very easy to farm in the ruins, which get reset every blood moon. And the weapons you can buy at the Ancient Laboratory are even better. Only downside is that they break rather fast, but since it's really easy to farm them you can stockpile on them. Fully upgraded Ancient Guardian set is 1.8x damage multiplier on Ancient Weapons, and deals 1.3x damage against guardians, which can be further doubled via max-attack foods. It's absolutely RIDICULOUS damage. It's all multiplicative, and if you're on horseback it even gets doubled again. Sneaking it's basically one-shotting most things that aren't Lynels or Silver Moblins.

But the most OP has to still be the X5 Savage Lynel Bow with bomb arrows. You get 5 bomb arrows for the price of one, it really can't get much better than that especially if you take into account the fact that time slows down when you're falling and shooting arrows...

As for the club Lynels, watch this video for the timings: https://youtu.be/7IUPHWJuzC0

This guy has the most entertaining videos on killing Lynels btw.