Author Topic: Hiding Youtube Ads  (Read 2146 times)

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
Hiding Youtube Ads
« on: November 10, 2015, 08:20:33 PM »
Note: This is not about blocking ads on Youtube. I have an adblocker. Please, read before commenting.

So I seem to have started growing a conscience about my adblocker use on Youtube. Namely, I don't have cash to throw at the Patreons of some of the people I watch, but I would still like them to get some money.

The problem is that I have little-to-no tolerance for ads. I tend to throw on a music playlist when I study and browse, so having ads pop in when I'm in the zone is actively infuriating.

1) I have heard that the money is per click, rather than from the ad playing. If this is true, then my guilt flies happily and freely out of the window, and I won't give it an extra thought.

2) Yes, I am aware of how much server space and bandwidth costs. Thanks for asking.

3) Is there any way to remove the ads without blocking them outright? Ideally, I'd want to have the ad register as played on the Youtube side of things. I could probably hack something together on my end, but I'm feeling a bit lazy at the moment. This is a moot question if 1) is true.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
Re: Hiding Youtube Ads
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2015, 09:10:09 AM »
I've heard from one Youtuber that a new service is supposedly coming, Youtube Red or something like that.  You'll be able to pay a monthly fee to watch ad-free, using that service.  I just have no idea when it will come out (or if I got the name right).
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2015, 09:16:45 AM »
It's out already, has exclusive content, and is $9.99 a month (more expensive than Netflix).

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2015, 01:36:28 PM »
1) I have heard that the money is per click, rather than from the ad playing. If this is true, then my guilt flies happily and freely out of the window, and I won't give it an extra thought.
Depends on ad & partnership (mindful partnership depends on people watching). All the behind the scene haggling makes it difficult to get an honest read on things.

Honestly through, you can set a $9 budget for Patreon just split up the allocation over any number of streams you like. Don't feel guilty if someone only gets a nickle per month, it's more than a hundred times more than they are getting per viewer anyway. Like Olga Kay has five channels & twenty videos a week, so her over a million subscribers watch over a thousand of her videos per year and she makes $130,000/yr (source), that averages to $125 per video or $0.000125 per viewing assuming only one stream per subscriber. In other words, by tossing a nickle at the authors you've paid for 400 viewings a month or 4,800 per year. Well, excluding Patreon's 5% cut of course. So to scale, that's pretty good.