Author Topic: D&D 3.5e - something on grapple/pins  (Read 2365 times)

Offline Dwarfi

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
D&D 3.5e - something on grapple/pins
« on: August 10, 2016, 07:50:05 AM »
As my group likes to come up with scnarios and questions that I usually dont think about, but do once we have a beer and start discussing,
here some questions around grapple and pins: I found the Handbook a bit confusing at times.

D&D 3.5e

1) Can you make a grapple check for each Attack/Round that you have (Based on your BAB)?
Lets say you have 3 attacks per round, can you replace every one of those in a Full attack to make grapple checks?

1b) Can you replace an Aoo with a grapple check? I know you can for trip and disarm and alike, so I would say yes, but I am not sure.

2) Pin: A pin works until you next turn and has to be reestablished each round to keep the target pinned. Keeping a pin up is a standart or atk action / round?
Can you make attacks while pinning an opponent? Do you have to make grapple checks to do it if possible?

3) Can a pinned character use a breath weapon? It says a pinned characters can be stopped from talking, but a breath weapon?

Thanks again,
best
Dwarfi

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
Re: D&D 3.5e - something on grapple/pins
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 09:26:18 AM »
1. You can, but only for certain actions.  I assume you want to make the grapple checks to do damage or pin your opponent, both of which are stated to take the place of an attack.

1b. If you are not already grappling and wish to initiate a grapple, you can make the attempt as your AoO (including having to start with possibly provoking an AoO if you don't have Improved Grapple or the like, then needing to make the touch attack).  If you are already in a grapple, however, you have no threatened area and therefore are unable to make AoOs in the first place.

2. It just takes an attack to pin, so if your BAB is high enough, you can have extra attacks available to use.

3. Speech is not required to use a breath weapon, and being pinned does not prevent you from breathing or using SUs, so yes, you can use a breath weapon while pinned.  However, if you try to breathe on the foe grappling you, your breath weapon will also hit you, as you are sharing his space, unless your foe takes up more squares than you do.
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.

Offline Dwarfi

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2016, 07:28:38 AM »
Thanks, one more to add:

Does it matter who started the grapple? Lets say a PC grapples a monster with Rake, constrict or alike abilities that can be used during grapple. Can the monster immediately use them on its turn or does it have to "take control" by winning a grapple check? Is just beeing in a grapple not enough to use them?

thanks again

Offline Kethrian

• Legendary Member
  • Night Owl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2016, 10:31:54 AM »
As long as the monster is not pinned, it does not matter.
What do I win?
An awesome-five for mentioning Penny Arcade's On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness.