Author Topic: Anyone want a guide to making custom rpg accessories?  (Read 3249 times)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Anyone want a guide to making custom rpg accessories?
« on: September 30, 2016, 06:33:36 PM »
So I'm in the middle of getting some pdfs printed professionally (not kinkos or whatnot), and I've got a project to make custom miniature trays that's currently on hold until I finish enough of my other projects that I feel up to it.

I've also been looking into and am working on some custom dice creation.

Is anyone else interested in this stuff?  Would anyone like me to make a thread about it with reviews and processes and whatnot?  (Yes, I know that there are a thousand "make your own miniature trays" guides on the internet but I'm actually going off on my own somewhat on that one).

Offline geniussavant

• Legendary Member
  • Neither genius nor savant, mostly just confused
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone want a guide to making custom rpg accessories?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2016, 06:48:10 PM »
I've always wanted to get into miniatures,  but never really figured out a way to do so without an enormous buy in. I can't say I have any experience in the field, but I'm always interested in learning new things. I'd assume trays is where I'd need to start, so I'm imagining it would be helpful
Smile beautiful. It's not as bad as you think.
I usually post from my phone. Please excuse any typos. I swear, they're the phone's fault.

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2016, 07:10:02 PM »
there are a couple good miniature making videos on youtubes, seems like a lot of work per item.
The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2016, 07:26:50 PM »
The tl;dr of that is search for dice at sites like thingiverse and hit up your local college or STEM school. Heck, if you're in the northern area of the states and it's not perverted even the Boy Scouts can hook you up and print something for you. :)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2016, 08:05:08 PM »
I will answer in reverse chronological order.

The tl;dr of that is search for dice at sites like thingiverse and hit up your local college or STEM school. Heck, if you're in the northern area of the states and it's not perverted even the Boy Scouts can hook you up and print something for you. :)

3D printing is nowhere near what I want.  I want something that looks professionally made, something that I could have gotten from Chessex or Q Workshop (but at way cheaper than their custom dice prices).  This is just one of the many points we'll have to disagree on.  Anyways, I'm getting custom d8s at an affordable price, we're currently fine tuning the design and it's a one man shop so things are slow.

there are a couple good miniature making videos on youtubes, seems like a lot of work per item.

I'm never going to do this.  Never ever ever.  Please don't try to make me.   :P

I've always wanted to get into miniatures,  but never really figured out a way to do so without an enormous buy in. I can't say I have any experience in the field, but I'm always interested in learning new things. I'd assume trays is where I'd need to start, so I'm imagining it would be helpful

Honestly I only got into miniatures because of a Reaper kickstarter.  I'm doing custom trays because I'm just not happy with the size/pricing of any of the tray manufacturers or DIY guides that I can find.

So that's one vote of yes for trays (and if I'm doing trays I'll just do all of it in a single thread), and two votes for not caring one way or another.  :p

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2016, 02:39:10 PM »
So that's one vote of yes for trays (and if I'm doing trays I'll just do all of it in a single thread), and two votes for not caring one way or another.  :p
Huh, I thought you were asking how to not help in deciding what you wanted to do.

You probably should fix whatever your wife has been harping about for the last six months, they always have something. But yeah if making the tray sounds cool to you then just do that. :)

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2016, 06:53:16 PM »
Huh, I thought you were asking how to not help in deciding what you wanted to do.

You probably should fix whatever your wife has been harping about for the last six months, they always have something. But yeah if making the tray sounds cool to you then just do that. :)

I was asking if anyone wanted me to document the stuff that I'm doing anyway.  I'm actively working on custom dice making with a dice creator and the trays will happen once I've got dice and book publishing sorted out properly.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2016, 08:27:37 PM »
I was asking if anyone wanted me to document the stuff that I'm doing anyway. 

I'd read it.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2016, 12:49:49 AM »
Book printing guide is done.