Author Topic: Tasked with doing everything on a 5e artificer  (Read 9048 times)

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
Re: Tasked with doing everything on a 5e artificer
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2017, 02:43:51 AM »
Decanter of Endless Water (long ranged trip attack, low DC, but handy for when people are mobbing an enemy with melee and a bomb will hit them. Or just to help out meleers)

That's pretty nice actually.

Eversmoking Bottle (want an engagement of basic melee attackers or shooters to turn into treacle? Heavily obscure everything and run away. Unlimited uses, RP compatible, and darkvision isn't IR, so the smoke cuts most vision, but you can still see enough to do stuff. I like this one as a choice. RAW everyone being blind is "normal" combat (advantage + disadvantage to hit), but most DMs rule it as disadvantage to all. Except you, who's hitting via static DC Dex saves, not AC rolls)
Even nicer.

Headband of Intellect (you need Int. This gives you lots of it. Really good for an uncommon item. Stat dumps ahoy! The array looks rather nice all of a sudden. Another top pick. Until your DM takes it away from you and your character is virtually useless)
All the stat items are off the table because they are "bullshit items with no thought put into them"

Pipes of Haunting (DC15 AoE fear vs Wis save. This is very nice as a defensive item for a ranged attacker. Recharges a bit each day, so always good. Needs wind instrument proficiency, but grab it from background or downtime train it in)
Seems good, but not reliable enough for an oshit button.

Slippers of Spiderclimbing (unlimited spiderclimb, and not veto'd by your DM. Stand on a wall or ceiling and lob bombs at things safely. Not quite flying, but not far off it in some scenarios)
not vetoed, only because he hasn't dealt with it yet. What he doesn't like is having to think in 3 dimensions. Most of the people in out playgroup are tied pretty hard to the combat mat.

Stone of Good Luck (+1 saves and skills. You do stuff, this helps you do stuff)
This and the cloak together seem like the obvious choices eventually.

The Robe of Useful items is missing the Gold, Coffer, and Gem options, and all items it produces are temporary 24 hour versions, except the scrolls and potions.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 06:25:24 PM by Nytemare3701 »

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2017, 06:24:10 PM »
Update: Character is being introduced tomorrow, and I'm explicitly forbidden from making adventurer levels of profit. Magic items are going to be extremely rare, and the DM is just going to make some of the few magic items we get into formulas, so I can make them myself.

My new goal is to *Mulan music kicks in* be durable enough to not be an attractive target for the kind of enemies that like to pound squishies into the dirt, skilled enough to not die a pointless and totally avoidable death, and JUST dangerous enough to not be dead weight in the party during a fight.

After working with the DM, I'm stuck with the robe of Useless Items and the Bag of Tricks for my starting formulas, as well as the all-important bag of holding. For all new items, I'll need to give the DM at least 3 sessions notice before I can possibly make an item, as he wants to spend one session on altering his plans, one on finding the formula, and one on the rare material for every item.

Up to date houserules for magic items:

• Magic items are KNOWN, but not bought/sold by normal adventurers. They are oddities bordering on minor artifacts.
• Formulas are the original templates for magic items, and they will without exception require an adventure to find.
• ALL magic items above common rarity require a Rare Material, which will require a second adventure. (No outsourcing!)
• Magic items (with a few exceptions) cannot create permanent objects, unless the object itself is a magic item (scrolls and potions from the robe of useful items for example). If there is no listed duration, they expire in 24 hours.
• Stat-locking (giant's belt) and 3d maneuvering (spiderclimb, flight, etc) items are forbidden.

PENDING CHANGE TO THE ROBE OF USE(LESS) ITEMS: It may become a common rarity item with the scrolls, potions, animals, and cartoonish items removed. This would leave it with the boat, door, ram, and ladder, as well as the "always included" list.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017, 07:30:57 PM by Nytemare3701 »

Offline sambojin

• It's a game. Have fun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2017, 11:24:20 PM »
If multiclassing is allowed, I'd really want a level of Mystic. Artificers aren't tanky, in fact, I'm having a harder time with a good cohesive character concept as a skill monkey than I am with just looking up some magic items.

A level of Nomad gives you a tonne of flexibility in skills, Immortal is a nice stock standard, and there's plenty of disciplines that will help you as an Artificer (Mastery of Fire to boost your bombs, Bestial Form is just plain good, etc)

Your DM might not let you though. Which is fair enough. If I come up with something I consider particularly good, I'll post it. Artificer just isn't a very strong class, especially without multiclassing. You'll get by, and do some damage, but there's better skillmonkey options IMO.