Author Topic: [D&D 3.5 + Homebrew] The Eye of the Sun  (Read 20123 times)

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Re: [D&D 3.5 + Homebrew] The Eye of the Sun
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2017, 01:23:41 PM »
YAY FOR MULTIPOSTING.

Strato, if not Jermlaine, would you allow Lesser Bytopian Planetouched?
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2017, 01:32:04 PM »
Spellshaping is kinda like a cross between warlock and martial adept. It's pretty mature, and nothing much to worry about.

Venn, if I do something bizarre like play an anthropomorphic toad, I could employ you to carry me around. Actually, the hilarious thing would for you to pretend to be a wizard (no need for big swords, quarterstaff is a monk weapon :D ) and I'd be your "familiar". We could be a pair of con artists.

This is an amazing idea.

EDIT: Though they're Small, not Tiny. Hm.

EDIT: Maybe a CN, foul-mouthed Jermlaine?

I like the idea of a pair of con artists, in any case. You could always play something like a changeling who takes the form of a child or an elderly person to fit the con of the moment, or get a hat of disguise or something along those lines. Otherwise, anything that propagates the con artist vibe. :D

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2017, 01:34:37 PM »
Answer is no. I dislike templates on PC characters. :P

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2017, 01:44:07 PM »
Ugh, I can't figure out what to play.

Spellsinger, Walker in the Wastes, Chameleon, Runecarver, Elementalist :P

And please note that I did say Core + Homebrew. Material from other WotC books isn't allowed.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 01:48:54 PM by Stratovarius »

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2017, 02:23:28 PM »

Jumping on the bandwagon...

Hexblade! Medic! Death Knight! Clockwork Warrior! Soulknife! Witcher! (Oops, I haven't finished that one, yet.)

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2017, 03:37:58 PM »
Answer is no. I dislike templates on PC characters. :P

But then how am I going to play a Tiny character that can pretend to be Venn's familiar???
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2017, 03:43:46 PM »
I would suggest eyeing something more in the small to large range.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2017, 03:55:00 PM »
Panphobic! Wardancer! Great Wheel Ranger! Jongleur!

:lmao

I'm probably going to play something of yours because I need a break from Strat's stuff (no offense Strat) and I'm playing something of Garryl's in another game.

There aren't many other homebrewers that make stuff I actually want to play.  Looking at my signature you three are the main homebrewers I focus on around here apparently.

Everybody is fighting over me, I feel like the prettiest girl at the dance.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2017, 03:58:07 PM »
I'm probably going to play something of yours because I need a break from Strat's stuff (no offense Strat)

Boo! That's it, you're banned from the game  :bash

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2017, 04:15:38 PM »
I'm probably going to play something of yours because I need a break from Strat's stuff (no offense Strat)

Boo! That's it, you're banned from the game  :bash

I forgot that you had a million non Arhosa classes so I might play something of yours after all.  :p

Ugh, you guys have too much stuff.  I am literally looking at every complete class and system that you three have made.  This is going to take a while.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2017, 04:23:52 PM »
Hey Garryl and sirp, how complete is the Rituals 2.0 system?  Should I just look at the original?

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2017, 05:21:26 PM »
I forgot that you had a million non Arhosa classes so I might play something of yours after all.  :p

Ugh, you guys have too much stuff.  I am literally looking at every complete class and system that you three have made.  This is going to take a while.

If you do that, this game won't start till 2018  :lol

To narrow it down for you a bit from my end in terms of things I think are worth looking at:
Chronomancy
Spellsong
Walker in the Wastes
Battlebrain
Chameleon
Echocaller
Elementalist
Proteus

Looking through that list reminded me how few of my classes are standalone. Amazing how much of my time is spent in Arhosa.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2017, 05:21:47 PM »
Hey Garryl and sirp, how complete is the Rituals 2.0 system?  Should I just look at the original?

Wow, I haven't looked at that one in ages. It was far from complete, but I'm pretty sure we left it in a playable state. You'd probably need to cross-reference the original versions for a couple of things that are flat-out missing, like skill lists.

The original is pretty good, too, although the mechanics play out a little kookier. IIRC, the system doesn't really come into its own until 4th level when you get your least rituals, although you can still do some pretty fun stuff with just minors. I don't think Sirp and I ever got to fully balancing the original system before we started work on version 2.0. I distinctly remember some absolutely absurd potential at mid-high levels, although I can't remember if it was effects or raw numbers or what. In any case, don't let me scare you off from at least looking at it. I played a 1st level ritualist in one of Sirp's games, and it wound up being a ton of fun. Just make sure to get Quicken Ritual.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2017, 05:29:00 PM »
@Strat

Actually I've now looked through all of yours and Garryl's, sirp wrote a bunch of system and settings and so I'm not completely done with that yet.  It helps that I've looked at almost all of these things at least once before.

Also, I hate playing traditional spellcasters.  I suck at it, I really do (which is why the spellpoints are okay, they have a recharge mechanism).  That makes most of your stuff a no go for me.  I'm also looking to play something I haven't already, which makes Chronomancy out. 

My signature thread now has a list of things I want to play and haven't yet, Spellsong made it on.

@Garryl

Sounds like I'll leave it alone for now then.

@sirp

You make classes/systems that are too complicated.  :P

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2017, 05:45:34 PM »
Yeah, all of my classes are either monster classes or incomplete, mostly not even posted anywhere. Even my Saboteur isn't balanced very well, and I've got a lot of work to finish it up and add more options.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2017, 05:48:56 PM »
Yeah, all of my classes are either monster classes or incomplete, mostly not even posted anywhere. Even my Saboteur isn't balanced very well, and I've got a lot of work to finish it up and add more options.

I remember your Saboteur from the game where I was playing a Gunslinger.  If you want me to keep track of your homebrew you need a signature for me to know where to find it.  :P

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2017, 05:51:57 PM »
Haha, well I've lost track of a lot of it myself. I don't have even a sliver of the amount of stuff Strat, SirP, and Garryl have though.  :lol

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2017, 05:57:58 PM »
Haha, well I've lost track of a lot of it myself. I don't have even a sliver of the amount of stuff Strat, SirP, and Garryl have though.  :lol

To be fair I don't think anyone here does, except maybe oslecamo and his monster classes.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2017, 06:00:31 PM »

To be fair I don't think anyone here does, except maybe oslecamo and his monster classes.

We are rather prolific between us.

And I also just had the best/worst idea ever - pick one system from each of us and design the outline of a setting where those are the dominant forces (Cybernetics, Bladecraft, Runecarving, for ex.). No way we'd ever actually finish, but I'm curious what it would look like.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2017, 06:09:18 PM »

We are rather prolific between us.

And I also just had the best/worst idea ever - pick one system from each of us and design the outline of a setting where those are the dominant forces (Cybernetics, Bladecraft, Runecarving, for ex.). No way we'd ever actually finish, but I'm curious what it would look like.

But I don't want to pick favorites. :P

Actually, I could probably pick favorites pretty easily if we're talking major systems....