Author Topic: The Small Rants Thread XII: The Folly of Life  (Read 180210 times)

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
Re: The Small Rants Thread XII: The Folly of Life
« Reply #100 on: January 01, 2018, 12:30:44 AM »
so, I 've managed to annoy Morrus again at enworld to the point of him  mentioning banning me via the autoban that spambots get because i dumped a list of links since my initial post of outing something as a fake seemed to be ignored 

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 01, 2018, 01:40:07 PM »
The year isn't even 24h old yet and someone has already crawled from my past to annoy me.
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 09, 2018, 11:37:24 PM »
Rich 95 year old is widowed after a 69-year-long marriage and is then promptly blackmailed with false allegations less then six months later.

Doesn't it sound horrible? Probably not. But if I said it was sexual allegations against a male film star then you'd hop onto that hate bandwagon.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: January 10, 2018, 05:53:52 AM »
Frankly I'm not all that surprised. Ol' Stan the Man used to be a fixture on Hugh Hefner's parties in the sixties. And come on, the man is old. Could just be his age catching up to him.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Keldar

• Legendary Member
  • What's this button do?
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2018, 03:29:03 AM »
Not Funky Flashman, say it ain't so!
I really don't think Jack Kirby would have been surprised in the slightest.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2018, 12:26:18 PM »
WHOOOOOOSH

That was the sound of SorO's point flying overhead.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2018, 02:31:21 PM »
WHOOOOOOSH

That was the sound of SorO's point flying overhead.
I got the point, I just don't think it's impossible for it to have happened.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2018, 05:55:17 PM »
I have a zit on the inside of my nose...  FML.

Offline bhu

• Uncle Kittie
  • DnD Handbook Writer
  • Fnord bitches
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 14, 2018, 09:36:47 PM »
So they told us all week the lady on third shifts job was in limbo for some reason when they fired her in front of someone (who spilled the beans). The peeper (her rumored paramour) has been late or absent all week due to car issues (oil and coolant leaks, dead alternator etc). He's literally been charging his battery at home to get to work and vice versa, and was late tonight due to the cops being called to his house. Came in with smoking engine thursday.

Meanwhile the weekend guy for third came in early to cover shift with me. His conversation went something like this:

"I keep wishing I would die."

"And people would die. And the world would just fucking die."

"I have dreams about longing for the day when I end it with a shotgun. I'm getting really big into suicide."

"I can't seem to ever get more than 3 hours sleep a day. I'm fucking five different women when I'm not here. I'm thinking about cutting my dick off. Goddamn I hate women."

Then he went to use the restroom and disappeared for 40 minutes before coming back and decided he needed to begin smoking weed again to "even himself out".

Yesterday was snowmaggedon. 4 hours of rain, 1 hour of freezing rain, and then it snowed sideways for 10 hours. Took forever to get into car and ran into snow drift as I got to parking lot at the apartments. TRAC off light and engine light came on. Spent 6 hours on hold with AAA waiting to get wrecker to tow me out (It was stuck at the parking lot entrance). Took them another 4 hours to get to me.

Can't scan tags cause they're iced over. Can't open any doors that require me to scan a badge cause they're frozen shut. Can't open locked doors cause they're full of ice. Yet client doesn't shut down because Honda and all it's suppliers did shut down, and they're thanking god for a free day to catch up. Everyone showed up except production, you know, the people who actually make stuff. Two of them quit rather than show up.

Dashboard lights are off now (thank goodness), but drivers side tire is making funny noise. Parking spot is solid ice.

I am not going in the next two days. Or it's bee violations for everyone.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 16, 2018, 01:38:21 PM »
My life feels pretty worthless right now.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 16, 2018, 01:50:12 PM »
Sounds like the horrible weather is bumming a few people out. So, just throwing an idea out here, why don't we all build a snowfort. Nuke up some hot coco. Strip down (to share warmth of course). And play D&D.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 16, 2018, 02:28:54 PM »
Sounds like the horrible weather is bumming a few people out. So, just throwing an idea out here, why don't we all build a snowfort. Nuke up some hot coco. Strip down (to share warmth of course). And play D&D.

I'll take my cocoa cold, but I'm down for some D&D.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 26, 2018, 01:30:47 PM »
I haven't watched the video so there is a tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny, tiny, chance I could be wrong but well here.

Rome (CNN)Pope Francis released a message condemning "fake news," saying that it's a "sign of intolerant and hypersensitive attitudes, and leads only to the spread of arrogance and hatred."
The Vatican says the message is part of the Pope's World Communications Day, but some at St. Peter's Square say the Pope was probably sending a message to Donald Trump and other world leaders who have been using the phrase "fake news."
The tragic history of human sin, the Pope says in his message, is the first "fake news" and it dates back to the book of Genesis, when the "crafty serpent" lied to the woman. In present day, according to the Pope's message the fast digital world helps fuel the spread of "fake news" -- which he defines as "the spreading of disinformation on line or in the traditional media."

"Spreading fake news can serve to advance specific goals, influence political decisions and serve economic interests," the Pope said.
The Pope's message blames the difficulty in unmasking and eliminating fake news to people interacting with homogeneous news environments rather than listening to differing perspectives and opinions.
"Disinformation thus thrives on the absence of healthy confrontation with other sources of information that could effectively challenge prejudices and generate constructive dialogue; instead, it risks turning people into unwilling accomplices in spreading biased and baseless ideas," the Pope's message said.
Here is the full transcript released by the Vatican and guess how many of CNN's quotes appear in it.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: February 05, 2018, 07:31:43 PM »
I know we don't talk about media much but House of Cards will have a final season six episodes long without Kevin Spacey. So the character Claire "wins" the Underwood competition by the default of the Frank's actor being fired over unproven allegations.

I can't help but think that's just another meta narrative of the show...

Offline trappedslider

• Legendary Member
  • Trapped on another Earth that isn't home
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: February 05, 2018, 08:10:31 PM »
I know we don't talk about media much but House of Cards will have a final season six episodes long without Kevin Spacey. So the character Claire "wins" the Underwood competition by the default of the Frank's actor being fired over unproven allegations.

I can't help but think that's just another meta narrative of the show...

Even before the issues popped up, I honestly wasn't sure where they planned to go....i mean I kept expecting Karma to bring them down, but it never happened fully.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: February 06, 2018, 04:08:11 PM »
The show would have been fine to end where it did. Let Claire's success, or failure, be up to the individual audience members spawning all sorts of stories and fan fictions.

But nope, now we have to see how Claire's presidency plays out and it's hard to imagine a good ending to it. You can't end on some kind of opening or they would have left it alone and without Spacey you can't have them truly coming back together again either (which would have been the best ending). So Claire's movement from being a screw up that creates new challenges to overcome to being her own leader & problem solver anti-hero feminist arc needs to play through. And Netflix has already shown to give into demands so she will undoubtedly get some kind of happy ending. But like every other show it'll also have to end on the note that bad guys always fail. So presumably either Claire becomes a golden role model and they blame all the corruption on Frank or they stick a little closer to her character and she loses presidency, gives up politics, makes amends with her mom, and "retires" to her ex-lover in Paris. Either way, Frank probably dies off screen from a heart attack.

And you are going to get the plot in a rushed six episode series so it'll probably have pacing problems too.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: February 13, 2018, 07:09:29 PM »
Here's one for the English Teacher "F"-undamentalist type (and survivors of).

Dude is yacking loudly about a Comma. 
Great.
He wants to know if :  What are you nuts
... should have a comma between What and are
or between you and nuts.

{ he has no idea I have actual skin in this game }

I was tempted to recite Luke Skywalker's :  What are You doing here
... multiple line, at him word for word as if that was an appropriate response.
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: February 14, 2018, 02:16:38 AM »
What, are you nuts?
This is a statement of disbelief, followed by a question regarding someone's sanity.

What are you, nuts?
This is a question about someone's nature, specifically their sanity.

Related:

Bite me, asshole!
This is an insult.

Bite me asshole!
This is a kinky pirate.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: February 14, 2018, 10:51:48 AM »
Spoken English is even harder than that.

"I didn't say you stole the cookie"
So what is being said here?

Someone else said you did.

I'm just implying it.

Maybe you didn't, but I bet you know who did.

Maybe you thought you had permission.

You know I had a $20 bill in there yesterday...

Commas, or brief pauses in spoken language, can tweak the meaning of a sentence but at least they are supposed to be written down. Stressing a word is not and attempting to use italic/bold tags causes everyone to label you as a douche. It's a horrible double standard.

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: February 14, 2018, 04:21:06 PM »
 :D yeah

Bite me asshole ?!
Expressing astonishment, but with a bad Aussie accent, rendering the viewpoint suspect.

Your codpiece is a mimic.