Author Topic: Diary of a real life Gestalt Game  (Read 21912 times)

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Warrior Skald, teller of tales.
    • View Profile
Re: Diary of a real life Gestalt Game
« Reply #60 on: June 17, 2012, 07:04:10 PM »
The Desperate Counsel encounter plays out just like it would in RHoD.  The party argues for Northri to evacuate the town, convincing him to do so, while leaving those able to fight to stand off the horde.

The evacuees will travel north to the ring of standing stones, where the local Druid (Bram, a Druid 8//Wizard 7/Master of the Yuirwood 1) would activate the stones, and teleport everyone to the Niflhenge, where the Hathran are gathering.  There are about 150 able-bodied men who plan to stay and fight, as well as Northri, Svala Ashildsdottir, and Jorr.  Also, the Wild Hunter, sent by King Briarthorn, had arrived while the PC's were dealing with the bridge.  It should also be noted that three of the PC's are now 8th level, while the Rogue//Wizard and the NPC Druid//Scout are not quite there yet.

As a side note, I find it interesting that they decided to stay and fight.  Part of it was good in-character motivation, as the Barbarian//Warlock saw this as a duty, wouldn't mind dying and heading to Valhalla, and a small part of me believes he thought that this is where they should make their stand.  When I played through RHoD, we just evacuated the town; we didn't stay to fight.  But, we also hadn't been running around as much as this party has been, and so had already had encounters such as the Goblin Raids and Chimera Attack (while this group missed the Orge Mage attack, because they decided to sit at the bridge for 3 days.)

The next morning, while the town is starting to pack up to evacuate, I have the PC's start making listen checks around 9 am.  The first DC is a 30, and they all fail.  At 10 am they make another check, DC 25, they all fail.  At 11 am they make another Listen check, DC 20, and one of them noticed a deep thrumming that they felt more than heard.  The PC Druid wildshapes and heads off west to have a look, hoping against all hope it isn't what they fear.  It is; the Horde is moving, and they will reach the town in a matter of hours.

The PC's scramble to come up with a plan, while the evacuation proceedings get a little hectic.  There is a small river on the west side of Eyrrinberg (their water source), but it is not anywhere near as big as the Elsir River's 500 feet in RHoD.  This small river is only about 15 feet wide, and there is a single wooden bridge, wide enough for a wagon, that crosses it.

The PC's decide to make unexpected use of the scroll of Mirage Arcana they found in the basement of Vigfus Keep.  They use it to make an image of a high earthen bluff/cliff on the east side of the river, so the army will see this wall of earth on the river's far side.  The scroll only has enough to cover nine 20-foot cubes, however, so they center that on the bridge, so there is a "valley" between the cliffs, to which the bridge leads.  They also lay down a spike growth on the path leading up to the bridge, so the army would have to cross over it to get at the PC's.

The party starts to hear the sound of axes chopping wood.  The army is cutting down trees to fashion crude log bridges to lay across the 15-foot-wide rushing stream.  The Horde assumed the one bridge there would be destroyed by the time they arrived.  Finally, the Horde makes its appearance, cloaked in mist (Troll-wife Warlock 1's with Breath of Night), a vision like a large cloudy serpent snakes its way toward Eyrrinberg, with nearly two dozen fliers circling overhead (the fliers that had belonged to the Niðarós half of the army passed off their captured cattle to normal trolls, and flew north to join this half for the massacre).  The party spots the four-armed flier making lazy sweeps ahead of the foggy column, and then see it dart down into the fog, and reappear a few minutes later, having relayed the information his high vantage point afforded him.

The human defenders were arranged into 10 groups of 15 men.  Each group was composed of one 5th level Barbarian, two 3rd level Barbarians, two 2nd level Barbarians, a 2nd level Warrior, and nine 1st level Warriors.  Just a reminder, in my gestalt world, NPC classes are just non-heroic "adults."  The commoner class is used only for children.  So, 1st level Warriors are the equivalent of commoner conscripts in typical D&D.

The party lead the group just in front of the bridge, and they had Northri and Jorr with them as well.  Svala had taken control of another of the groups.  Asdis, the "Angel of Death" venerable Spririt Shaman 6 was also waiting far in the back, in order to heal people.  The Wild Hunter would be riding his mount along behind the lines of men, attacking with his bow.  (This allowed me to add a little dues ex machina via occasional bow attack from him, but never more than two rounds worth of attacks, as he was continuing up and down the line).

As the sun was setting, the party Druid//Sorcerer let loose with a scintillating sphere, lighting it off just inside the foggy veil concealing the horde.  It lit up like a thunderhead, and some tanarukk were damaged, but in the end it didn't really do a whole lot.  At this point they were thinking they would make their valiant stand here, at Eyrrinberg, and emerge victorious.  Sometimes it takes players a bit to realize that they are outmatched...

With the setting of the sun, on came the first wave, gestalt EL 10, consisting of three Half-fiend Ice trolls carrying three Half-Troll Nothic (MiniHB).  Norse myth and folklore is filled with the idea of trolls being unusual in appearance, having extra heads (as many as nine), having extra arms, and seeing with eyes that are not in their heads.  As such, I've tried incorporating more unusual troll "species," usually made by applying the half-troll template to a suitable aberration.
The Half-fiends had no trouble flying over the illusory cliff the PC's had erected, and dropped off their half-troll nothic cargo to do its damage.  The nothics proved quite nasty, getting two claws and a bite at +10 and +5, plus Rend.  They also have that nasty little ability to see invisibility, which disheartened my Wizard//Rogue player.  Jorr was brought down to -2 hp, but a lesser vigor from the NPC Druid healed him back after this wave was finished.

While the Nothics tore things up on the ground for about three rounds, the Half-Fiends flew strafing runs overhead, laying down their meager Unholy Blights (at 2d6 damage), but also striking people from above with their battleaxes.  The flying Barbarian//Warlock did most of the engaging here, striking hard with some Hideous Blows, but the Confusion spell thrown up there by the newly-8th-level Beguiler helped out a lot too, confusing one of the half-fiends, allowing it to be hit, and dropping it unconscious with just two blows.  Looking back at my papers, I can see from the seesaw of the HP totals that at least one of the half-fiend ice trolls lasted for 6 rounds before he was brought to unconsciousness, and the other two, including the confused one, teetered back and forth into consciousness and unconsciousness several times.

Eventually they were all brought down, fires were lit, and the bodies thrown on top to burn them to death.  Funny thing though, with Half-fiend Ice Trolls, they have Fire resistance 10.  It's impossible to burn them to death with non-magical fire (lava would do it, though).  I didn't make this realization until the next morning, but that's okay, the trolls would have just played dead at that point anyway, slowly regenerating, waiting for the PC's to leave before they broke cover and fled back to the horde.  Still, they did kill all three Nothics.

The party and their group of defenders fared pretty well, and I mistakenly took that as a sign that the other defenders would be doing well too.  The day after this game session I ran a mock fight of one of the other 10 groups of defenders, to see how well they held up.  They didn't hold up well at all.  In three rounds of the first wave, all 15 men of the one group I ran had dropped (six of those stabilized and were healed by Asdis after the initial attack ended).  Regardless, I didn't know how bad it would be during the game session, so the PC's convinced Svala and the remaining men to hold and not retreat after the first wave (in RHoD, they all retreat after the first wave).

The second wave consisted of two Winter Wolves, two Ogre Mages, and two Tanarukk 6th level Wizards.  The spike growth the Druid had laid down did its job and got the wolves out of this fight, at least for the PC's group of defenders.  All the attackers in this wave were hasted, thanks to one of the wizards, so that made things a little more interesting.  I don't remember much of it at this point, but one of the ogre mages was tagged with a ray of enfeeblement, both ogre mages were brought to unconsciousness through regeneratable damage, and thrown on the fire mounds, one of the tanarukk wizards, who was flying, was brought to -1 hp, and fell into the river, where one of the PC's retrieved him and killed him, and the second wizard retreated when brought to 13 HP's.

At this point, over 10 of the defenders in the PC's group had died, and the PC's and the few remaining survivors beat a hasty retreat north to the menhir circle.

I also ran a mock combat the next day for the second wave.  Just for curiosity's sake, I threw the second wave against a fresh, unhurt contingent of 15 defenders.  The second wave for the other groups was composed only of four winter wolves, who had a high enough Jump modifier that they could reliably leap across the 15-foot stream.  In six rounds all 15 humans had been killed, and only one of the four winter wolves had been brought below 0 hp's.  In that last round with two human defenders still living, I had the Wild Hunter show up to attack the wolves.  With about two rounds of work on his part, he had killed the remaining three winter wolves, but both the remaining humans died.

This did not bode well, and at the start of the next session I informed them how few people actually survived.  They retreated and caught up with the evacuees, bringing themselves, Northri, Svala, Jorr, Asdis, and about 20 other men with them.  The horde slaughtered about 125 men, while only losing about 15 winter wolves, 20 nothic, and zero half-fiends.

The players felt the sting of defeat, but it did level the Rogue//Wizard to 8th, as well as the NPC Druid, now a Druid 8//Scout 5/Ranger 1/Wizard 1/Master of the Yuirwood 1 - which means he can activate the menhir circles (at least on the "Finland" side of the "Baltic" sea).
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 08:05:33 PM by ksbsnowowl »

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 19, 2012, 12:31:41 AM »
The next session began with the party heading north toward the stonehenge ~30 miles north of Eyrrinberg.  The massacre at Eyrrinberg started just as the sun had set, and the party traveled into the night a few hours before catching up to the townsfolk.  They woke the next morning, November 7th, and Bram explained the danger that everyone would face later that day when using the standing stones.  The stonehenge was a prison to a demon (a nalfeshnee) that could call down lighting.  The Barb//Warlock then recalled the last time he used these stones, Bram had cast a spell shortly before they arrived there (Mass Resist Energy).

Discussion also ensued as to who should active the menhirs, Bram or Baneskald.  It was decided that Bram would activate the stones, as the PC's wanted to leave the Niflhenge after dropping off the townsfolk, and head toward the "Day 33 cave" to seal it up and prevent the army's crossing over into Nidavellir.  The PC's felt they couldn't wait another day to portal to the stonehenge closest to the "Day 33 cave," though it was also discussed that someone needed to reach the villages marked on the map and warn/evacuate them before the Horde got to them.  The PC's asked Bram to do this, and he accepted, though he pointed out that he would not be able to use the stones to get there until the morning of November 8th.  The PC's would later learn that this decision had some pretty bad ramifications.

The party then prepped spells, prepping as many mass resist energy and resist energy spells as they could, and pushed the townsfolk hard, reaching the standing stones in the late afternoon.  The party and Bram cast the protective spells on those least able to survive a lightning strike, using most of them on children, and a few on themselves.  Bram explained that when he activated the stones, touching any of the menhirs would transport those touching them in the following round, and thus suggested arranging the townsfolk in a ring around the menhir circle (the menhir circle was ~70 feet distant from the outer edge of the stonehenge trilithons), outside the range of the lightning, and then having them all rush the stones in a mass of people.  He would activate the stones just before the townsfolk reached them, and people would basically just run "through" the stones, emerging at the Niflhenge, far to the north.

As the townsfolk were arranging themselves for the dash to the stones, the Barbarian//Beguiler character decided to have a closer look at the stonehenge, and taunt the Nalfeshnee (the Beguiler was protected by electricity resistance 20, so didn't fear the call lightning that struck him a few times).  Now, every time prior to this session that the PC's came anywhere near a ring of standing stones, I reminded them (as those characters who were Rashemi would have been taught this since childhood) that they had been warned never to get near any standing stones.  The reason for this being that the stonehenges are surrounded by a heightened (20th level) maximized empowered Forbiddance spell (NG alignment), while the interior of the stonehenge is a second heightened (20th level) maximized empowered Forbiddance (LG alignment). Oh, and the caster level on each of those is 40th.  Isn't circle magic grand?

As a DM I chickened out, and just as the PC was getting up to the edge of the Forbiddance, which he couldn't see, I had Bram notice him, and warn him away, explaining the danger.  The Beguiler character had just the session before decided to change his alignment from Chaotic Good to Chaotic Neutral, so that he could take a level of Mindbender at 9th level.  I realized after the game, I should have let him just cross over the threshold...  He had 92 hp's, and the average damage from the maximized empowered Forbiddance was 93 points of damage, Will save DC 34 for half.  The party would have had fun trying to get him out before he bled to death.  That is, assuming I didn't roll well and kill him outright.

I also neglected to realize that the Nalfeshnee had Feeblemind as an at will spell-like ability.  And greater dispel magic.  Anyway, the Beguiler decided to drop a solid fog on the Nalfeshnee, so it couldn't target people with call lightning, and it couldn't move to get out of the fog.  Silly me for not realizing he had a 70% chance to dispel it, and could retry every round...  The things you miss in the moment as a DM.  I sometimes think no party would ever survive if a DM knew every monster he used like the back of his hand...

As soon as the Beguiler cloaked the Nalfeshnee in solid fog, Bram signaled everyone, and the townsfolk all rushed the outer ring of menhirs.  Bram activated the stone circle, the townsfolk ran into/through them, and on the final count of the round, the PC's touched, and joined them all at the Niflhenge.

The Party spent only enough time to give a brief report to the Hathran at the Niflhenge, and explained that they were using the stones again to travel ahead of the Horde, so as to prevent them from entering the cave to Nidavellir.  Then they were off, traveling via the menhirs to the stonehenge near the two red X's on the map.  They traveled north, and just before as the sun was setting, they were ambushed by a group of Wood Woads.  I'd been wanting to use those monsters for so long...  Anyway, it was an interesting fight, and the Wood Woads' ability to instantaneously teleport between trees really threw my players for a loop.  They killed three of the four, and they witnessed the fourth one warp wood on a hollowed tree to get a potion to heal himself.  The fourth Wood Woad escaped, but the PC's located the tree, saw shiny things inside it, hacked it open and stole two nice gems and a couple of scrolls.

The session ended there, and between that time and the next week the player of the Barbarian//Warlock informed us that he was going to have to quit the group due to vastly increased travel requirements for his job.  We were all sad to see him go, as he is a really good player.  He was the other remaining founding member when I formed this group back in 2009, and he also was DM'ing a game (we alternated weeks as to who would run).  The silver lining though is that the pace of my campaign was able to pick up, because now we've been playing basically every week, rather than every other week.  I decided to rewrite a bit of game history, and declared that his character had not accompanied them from the Niflhenge, and instead was sent on another mission for the Hathran.

So now the party consists of:
Barbarian 8//Beguiler 8 - mostly with feats to improve his casting and allow him to feint as a free action.
Druid 8//Sorcerer 8
Rogue 8//Wizard 7/Incantatrix 1 (3.0 version)
NPC Druid 8//Scout 5/Ranger 1/Wizard 1/Master of the Yuirwood 1 (Focused Conjurer, MotY levels to Wiz casting)

And with this post I am now less than 3 months behind on my campaign log.  As I get caught up I'll be able to give more accurate depictions of what happened in combats.  I know I've been rather vague on a lot of that of late, having delayed so long in updating this thread.

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 28, 2012, 01:14:56 AM »
The next session the party continued its trek northward to find the cave and seal it shut, and thus block the movement of the Horde into Nidavellir.

The road they were on cut through the southwestern corner of the Erech Forest.  The Party did not run afoul of any Durthan (which they do not know exists, yet...) but there are a lot of active fey creatures in the area.  I had planned for them to run afoul of two nighttime encounters, but the PC's actions actually avoided one of the encounters.

During the afternoon of one day of their journey, they were set upon by a group of eight Spriggans.  This is an EL 8 encounter for a Gestalt party, and I thought it would be decently difficult because of it's ambush nature, and the spriggans' natural sneak attack dice, along with Produce Flame at will.  Aren't I the fool?

Barbarian 8//Beguiler 8 - Improved Uncanny Dodge (can only be sneak attacked by feinting)
Druid 8//Sorcerer 8
Rogue 8//Wizard 7/Incantatrix 1  - Improved Uncanny Dodge
NPC Druid 8//Scout 5/Ranger 1/Wizard 1/Master of the Yuirwood 1 - Uncanny Dodge (can be sneak attacked by flanking)

It shouldn't have, but my party's prolific possession of Uncanny Dodge caught me completely by surprise.  It had never even crossed my mind.  Only now did I realize that having a gestalt VIKING game drastically increases the chance of each character having uncanny dodge, due to an increased number of chances to pick it up (by everyone having two classes), and by slightly herding characters toward classes like Barbarian and Scout simply due to the nature of the campaign world and its cultures.
It's gotten worse since then, as the NPC druid picked up Improved Uncanny Dodge at 9th level with the next level of MotY.

This near-immunity to sneak attacks, where one can be sneak attacked only via feinting or specific spells (such as Vital Strike) has other implications for my game as well.  One of the Horde's "big wigs," which the party is supposed to deal with later (and who I may well use to kill the NPC Druid) is a Tanarukk Rogue 2/Assassin 10.  If the assassin can't sneak attack the party members, then he can't use Death Attack on them.

After starting a thread on the matter, and much searching, I found the Assassin spells Deathsight and Vital Strike from Complete Mage, which do help in the matter.  The only other option is having a character with more rogue/rogue-like levels than the PC's have levels in classes granting Uncanny Dodge.  With my mostly straight-classed PC's, that is generally not an option in an appropriately-CR'ed encounter.

Anyway, back to the narrative.  The PC's were quite surprised when two of the spriggans grew to large size, but handled the lot of them in spectacular fashion (that I can't remember many details of).  Despite my abrupt re-acquaintance with Uncanny Dodge, I kept with the same encounter I had planned for the PC's that evening.  During the night watch a group of three spriggans and a spriggan rogue 5 leader assaulted the party's campsite.  Being small and stealthy, they did a good job of sneaking up to the campsite, and they did get a round of sneak attacks on the sleeping PC's with some ranged produce flame attacks.  After the sneak attacks stopped being effective, the leader grew to large size and took seven hits before going down fighting.

Another day of travel, and near the evening when the party is looking for a good campsite, the Barb//Beguiler notices a large earthen mound off in the distance.  There may have been a Knowledge (Nature) check to give a little information about the mound (being the home to "Mound Elves" - feytouched from FF), but regardless, the Barbarian looks around and searches the area, finding some footprints.  He is able to find that the footprints lead to and come from under a large rock in the ground near the bottom of the mound's slope.  He then does something great, and leaves a platinum piece on the ground next to the stone, and backs off to watch.

The full moon was just a few days ago, and being a half-elf, the Barbarian can see perfectly well at night, and within an hour of dusk ending, he notices that the stone is no longer at the base of the slope, that it has raised up, and a creature is exiting the doorway and examining the platinum piece the player left.  I purposefully left the description of the mound "rising up" as vague as possible.  Norse Myth contains mound elves, and describes their halls as being under (burial) mounds, and does describe the mounds as "rising" up on red pillars under moonlight, opening the hall.  I didn't want anything so obvious and blatant as the mounds themselves rising up on pillars, so I described it as a sort of trick of the eye.  The stone hadn't actually moved, but now there was a human-sized doorway underneath it, despite that being spacially impossible.  But spacial impossibilities aren't too much of a concern here, as the halls themselves are larger on the inside than the mounds which contain them (in D&D terms, they are extra-dimensional spaces/demiplanes).

After the mound alvar picked up the platinum piece, the Barbarian made his presence known, and ended up having a short conversation with fey.  The PC was looking for intelligence about the Horde's movements in the area, but the mound elf had not seen anything unusual recently.

The party continued on the next day, and found a trail that head west, up into the mountains.  No road or trail was noted on the map, but the cave's location is, and I didn't make a big deal about finding the right trail, yadda, yadda.  The party head up the trail, and eventually ran into an ambush by two Ettins.

I'm dead tired right now though, so I'll come back and edit in the remainder of this session tomorrow.

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 10, 2013, 03:09:40 AM »
Wow, I sadly let this thread die off.  That saddens me, but I'm so far behind now (at least 18 months) that I would only be giving the barest sketches at this point.  I did, intelligently, start keeping a diary log of the massive climactic battle at the Niflhenge, with the intention of adding it to this thread once I caught up in the narrative.

I might as well do the sketches as best I can.

The next session the PC's got to the cave without further difficulty.  There was a contingent of tanarukk and other creatures there holding the site.  Looking back at my notebook (which has the hit point and damage totals for each foe), I see that the cave was held by ten GCR 1 normal tanarukks, a troll-blooded tanarukk Scout 1/Horizon Walker 1, a female tanarukk Scout 1/Horizon Walker 1/Warlock 1, two Winter Wolves, a Fiendish Troll, and a Primordial Giant Trollwife.

I vaguely recall that one of the tanarukk was sitting outside the cave, and the PC's snuck up as they often do, under the cloak of invisibility and silence, slaying the tanarukk easily.  However, there was another tanarukk sitting far back inside the cave, and he saw the PC's attack the first one, and rose the alarm.  The Primordial Giant Trollwife did some sneaking around invisibly as the PC's were taking out the majority of the tanarukk.  The PC's found her and killed her, wiping out the entirety of the small contingent of guards.  They then set to work, slowly, over the course of a couple days, using Stone Shape (cast by the Druid//Sorcerer) to mold the stone around the cave to seal it up, and make it look like a simple rockface.  They took care to make the stone look natural, not flat.  It was not exceedingly thick; though it would not hold up to an assault, it would pass a visual search.  The Druid then used Plant Growth to conceal the small hollow even better, and disguise the side trail toward the former cave.

Though it would happen off-screen, their efforts would be enough to confound the army remnant, and prevent them from reaching the Niflhenge.  They have since settled into the area, and would be a nuisance, were there many people in the region to bother (most of them were captured by these tanarukk, and ended up in their bellies).

On their way back to the nearest stonehenge ring, on November 14th the PC's run into some advance scouts, as the army remnant is still heading their way.  They dealt with the four trolls and four winter wolves without much difficulty.  There was a winter wolf off in the distance, however, and he ran away to take news of the PC's and their easy slaughter of the patrol.

The next session a trap was laid for the PC's.  This equates to the Marked for Death encounter from RHoD.  As the PC's were walking past a sacked farm, they see an ogre and five tanarukk beating on two humans that they have tied to a pair of trees.  Only later will the PC's learn that the humans are already just corpses.  The PC's engage in what they think will be an easy fight.  A round or two into the fight, the five invisible half-troll draegloth (GCR 6, the party at this point was just about or had just reached 9th level) descend upon the party, and inflict quite a bit of damage.  They had been hiding in the wrecked farm house, and one of their number was a primordial giant half-troll draegloth "trollwife," and could use Invisibility at will.  I can see from my notebook that the Druid//Scout/Wiz/MotY DMPC was wounded down to 9 hit points, from his max of 67.  His Dire Wolf animal companion was killed in the ambush.

They arrived at the nearest menhir circle, the DMPC transported them back to the Niflhenge, they reported that their mission was a success, and then they discussed what steps they should take next.  They asked the Hathran for their opinion, but the Hathran did not have any insight as to what was the next most important thing to deal with.  The map indicated three areas to deal with:
1) Sverting somewhere far up north, across the sea.
2) The Rotting Man - his location was at least generally located on the map.
3) Azmur-Gul was somewhere in northern Rashemen.

The PC's decided to make use of their NPC contacts, and got Bram the Master of the Yuirwood to take them to see his higher-level superiors, to get some info about the Rotting Man.  He took them to the equivalent of Unapproachable East's Sun Glade (the "master" stone henge ring), and they soon learned that most of the MotY's were gone, occupied with keeping an eye on the Rotting Man's activities.  Bram got directions to which menhir circle was closest, and away the party went.

This conundrum of which direction to go mirrors a similar choice in RHoD.  The PC's can choose to go to the Ruins of Rhest or the Ghostlord first.  The Ruins of Rhest are more appropriate for the PC's level, and going to the Ghost Lord's lair at that point is dangerous.  When I played through RHoD, we went to the Ghost Lord's lair first, and my rogue got swallowed by Varanthian.  We killed her before my rogue died, but we decided maybe it was a better idea to go to the Ruins of Rhest first.  Of course, there was a zombie Varanthian waiting for us when we returned... but so be it.

Similarly, the PC's could choose what to deal with first, the Rotting Man, or Sverting.  They didn't have much info on either one, so it was somewhat of a blind choice.  They chose the Rotting Man first.  That was the harder path, as they would soon learn.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 05:30:40 PM by ksbsnowowl »

Offline Sjappo

• View Profile
    • Home Sweet Home
« Reply #64 on: December 10, 2013, 04:50:51 AM »
Nice to see that you picked this up again. Still following.
"You know you count as artillery when it would be easier to use divination magic to locate your target than a spot check"

Offline ksbsnowowl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 15, 2013, 03:40:04 AM »
I neglected to mention in my previous post that I believe the "Audience with the Lords" encounter happened when the PC's returned from their cave-concealing mission.  I had used the RHoD encounter as a template, altering it as needed for my world's details.  There was Othlor Lady Yhelbruna (equivalent to Lord Jarmaath), another Othlor who is somewhat of a political rival (Lady Kaal), a mid-level Hathran (Tredora Goldenbrow), and the Iron Lord (Captain Ulverth).

The PC's did a fairly good job here, though they didn't all hit that first diplomacy roll, and so lost out on that one victory point.  They opted for the defenders to stay in the under-construction walls, using them to defensive advantage, rather than hunt the tanarukks down prior to them reaching the Niflhenge.  Another issue the PC's had to deal with and help make a decision about, was the utilization of the Hathran during the time leading up to the solstice.  The site didn't have a wall to start with, so the Hathran were building two (one on each end of the natural stone bridge upon which the Niflhenge is located), but their progress was slow, due to many of the Hathran using their higher level spell slots to muster the troops and teleport Rashemi warriors to the Niflhenge.  As the PC's were going to visit the leaders of the Masters of the Yuirwood soon, they assured the council that the Hathran should turn their full attention to building and reinforcing the walls; the PC's would recruit the MotY's to transport troops much more efficiently than the Hathran could even hope to do.

The PC's agreed having the lower-level Ethran held back from the front lines, thus protecting the defenders' source of healing from the initial assaults, was a good idea.  They suggested though, that rather than have one "field hospital," that the Hathran construct two such buildings, thus not placing all their eggs in one basket.  This proved to be a great idea, and eventually two two-story buildings were crafted of Walls of Stone, flanking the Niflhenge, and spaced so they roughly divided the length of the natural stone bridge into thirds.

---------------------------------------------------

The Rotting Man is a Forgotten Realms character from the Great Dale.  There is a prestige class in Unapproachable East called Talontar Blightlord; beyond that, and a bit of generic information about the Rotting Man being a rising problem in the Great Dale, he is somewhat of a mystery.  Being that I didn't want to use the Ghostlord, or even the name Ghostlord (I purposefully have changed all the names, if you haven't noticed), I decided to steal the concept of the Rotting Man, pretty much whole cloth, and retailer him as the leader of a Cult of Hel.  Hel is a half-rotting goddess of death and decay; it seemed appropriate.  I have made use of the Talontar Blightlord PrC, but changed the glaive requirement to that of a longsword (Hel's favored weapon, as per Deities and Demigods).

In RHoD, the Ghostlord is a CR 13 Ex-Druid/Blighter Lich.  The adventure starts with the PC's at 5th level, so he is 8 CR's above the PC's at the start of the adventure.  My PC's were early- to mid-6th level when I started the RHoD converted adventure; 8 CR's above that makes for a Gestalt CR 14 creature.  I made him 15th level for good measure.
He is a Human Spirit Shaman 15//Favored Soul 7/Talontar Blightlord 8; because he was a Boss, he got max hit points (but would award 150% XP, should he be defeated).

The PC's arrive on scene, in the Master of the Yuirwood camp on the outskirts of the Rotting Man's ruined city.  The Hathran had wanted the PC's to discuss with the MotY's about the possibility of them lending aid in the form of their higher members activating the menhir circles, so the Rashemi warriors could be transported to the Niflhenge more efficiently.  The PC's learn that the Masters of the Yuirwood are quite worried about what the Rotting Man is up to, and cannot spare any member who would be high enough level to be able to active the menhir circles in Rashemen (would require a 7th level MotY, character level 14th), for fear the Rotting Man would choose that moment to make a move.  However, if they could learn what exactly the Rotting Man was up to, and could be assured that the situation would not bubble over in the near future, they might be able to be convinced to send a man to transport troops.

It's now quite late, and I'll wait until next time to regale you with the actions of my PC's as they headed into the ruined city.

Offline Frogman55

• I'm not very new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 31, 2014, 12:29:06 PM »
Gestalt aside, this is one of the better campaign journals. I appreciate that you're giving us both strategic and tactical decisions being made by the PCs and your own monsters.

I'm bookmarking this and making it required reading whenever we want to try gestalt with my home party.

Offline polycrac

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • slam drunk
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 01, 2014, 09:09:16 AM »
This is a great thread, I've really enjoyed reading it - thanks!
so an Elf, a Dwarf and Treant walk into a bar...