Author Topic: "Monsters?! Where?! Oh, you mean us..." Monster adventurers  (Read 13489 times)

Offline gleith

• Lurker
  • Perpetually Newbish
    • View Profile
Re: "Monsters?! Where?! Oh, you mean us..." Monster adventurers
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2012, 02:25:34 AM »
I realize that, I choose monster races because I like the Flavor. Nothing more.
You may ask, how good is this one.. This one's answer would be as follows:
Not as good as this one would like...

I am not new to this, but I am not very advanced either ... I have a lot to learn about creating worlds and characters.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2012, 02:39:16 AM »
The line "I dont know if... he's simply unable to create campaigns hard enough for such characters" says you believe monster races are more powerful than the standard ones.  Unless you mean the DM thinks like this or something?

Like Littha said, few races compare with Dwarf, Human, or Warforged save for specific cases such as Whisper Gnomes being really good at stealth and such.  A DM who won't allow monster races is often the type who won't allow Tome of Battle or Psionics: lazy and unimaginative.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 02:41:48 AM by Jackinthegreen »

Offline gleith

• Lurker
  • Perpetually Newbish
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 18, 2012, 02:50:54 AM »
The line "I dont know if... he's simply unable to create campaigns hard enough for such characters" says you believe monster races are more powerful than the standard ones.  Unless you mean the DM thinks like this or something?

Like Littha said, few races compare with Dwarf, Human, or Warforged save for specific cases such as Whisper Gnomes being really good at stealth and such.  A DM who won't allow monster races is often the type who won't allow Tome of Battle or Psionics: lazy and unimaginative.

That's exactly what I mean. He wont even allow them for Flavor though. Also, you are correct, he does not allow psionics, and the same goes for the majority of the tome of battle, unless under very explicit permissions
You may ask, how good is this one.. This one's answer would be as follows:
Not as good as this one would like...

I am not new to this, but I am not very advanced either ... I have a lot to learn about creating worlds and characters.

Offline X-Codes

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • White, Fuzzy, Sniper Rifle.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 18, 2012, 11:35:21 AM »
Tome of Battle I consider to be essential material, mostly because it makes melee interesting enough for me to even consider it.  The most mundane I'd get, otherwise, would be Factotum.

That said, you might want to consider asking for things that are less exotic, since your parties are currently pretty mundane.  Use templates like Dark or races like Goliath.  Get him used to the idea that parties can get pretty weird.

Offline caelic

• fnord
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 18, 2012, 09:27:28 PM »
Our groups are usually like a combination, of orcs and dwarves and the such, but only because were not allowed to play anything interesting. I dont know if its because he's scared to let us have more control over what happens, or if he's simply unable to create campaigns hard enough for such characters

I hate to say it, but comments like this set off my warning bells, too.  Others have already commented on the fact that, in general, characters with high LA are seriously underpowered.  I'd add to that the fact that "interesting" has nothing to do with exotic races.  In my experience, a player who can play an interesting exotic can also play an interesting elf, dwarf, or orc--and a player who can't play an interesting elf, dwarf, or orc generally can't play an interesting exotic, either.

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2012, 10:19:27 PM »
Quote from: OD&D, Races section
Other Character Types: There is no reason that players cannot be allowed to play as virtually anything, provided they begin relatively weak and work up to the top, i.e. a player wishing to be a Balrog would have to begin as let us say, a "young" one and progress upwards in the usual manner, steps being predetermined by the campaign referee.