Author Topic: Illuminati  (Read 2080 times)

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
Illuminati
« on: December 20, 2011, 08:37:27 AM »
Has anyone played Illuminati by Steve Jackson (the guy who made Munchkin)?

That's one of those games that I seem to remember liking a lot more when I was in college. It's still fun, but I pretty much never play it anymore.

I don't have a lot of experience with it, but it seems like certain Illuminatis are much better than others.
  • Bavaria seems to be the best. The solid attack combined with the ability to make a privileged attack each round is awesome. Also, acquiring 35 power is a really easy goal to work to; picking up power is handy on it's own, anyway.
  • I like Bermuda's goal (one of each alignment) just because it's hard for other people to keep track of, and I like being able to rearrange my power structure for free each turn.
  • The UFOs can be fun because you can make two attacks (or add their power twice) and no one knows what your goal is.

What are your experiences?
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.

Offline caelic

• fnord
    • View Profile
Re: Illuminati
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 07:15:23 PM »
The Gnomes are more dangerous than they look, simply because they're the only Illuminati that can win playing defense.  If they get a few high-income groups, and then get to sit back for a few turns and build up cash, they become almost unassailable.  It's important for other players to cooperate to hit them regularly and bleed off some of their cash.  It's also a really good idea to try to keep track of how much money they have.

Offline RobbyPants

• Female rat ninja
    • View Profile
Re: Illuminati
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2012, 09:49:33 AM »
Yeah, the gnomes are always the group that surprises me the most when they just suddenly announce victory at the beginning of their turn. The UFOs are also surprising,  but that's because you just don't know what there victory condition is unless you can glean it from their actions.
My creations

Please direct moderation-related PMs to Forum Staff.