Author Topic: DivHead [base] (Magipunk)  (Read 15329 times)

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: DivHead [base] (Magipunk)
« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2012, 10:38:02 PM »
Some of the sources for spells are incorrect.
Ghostharp (0) is from Magic of Faerun, not the SRD.

Hack says it can affect a single creature or all creatures of a given race, depending on the effect. All of the effects specify a single creature.

Hack: Tactics could use a buff for low levels when it's your only thing to do, and higher levels when it's competing with other hacks. One round of flat-footedness with a 40% failure rate usable only once per creature seems weak even for a move action.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 11, 2012, 09:03:41 AM »
Some of the sources for spells are incorrect.
Ghostharp (0) is from Magic of Faerun, not the SRD.
I'll fix that, any others that you see?

Hack says it can affect a single creature or all creatures of a given race, depending on the effect. All of the effects specify a single creature.
Yeah, I forgot to change the intro text when I changed the ability.

Hack: Tactics could use a buff for low levels when it's your only thing to do, and higher levels when it's competing with other hacks. One round of flat-footedness with a 40% failure rate usable only once per creature seems weak even for a move action.
Any suggestions?
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 11, 2012, 12:00:15 PM »
A quick skim didn't turn up any more sourcing errors, but I don't have all the books so I couldn't confirm all of the spells even if I was studying them closely.

First, I'd make Hack affect be usable against the same creature multiple times on a failure, and on success still allow future uses against the same creature after 24 hours. If you must, increase the DC by 2 for each failure (resetting after 24 hours), but I don't see the mechanical need.

Next, Tactics can let you and allies treat the creature as flanked for the full minute duration with the initial effect (yes, even with ranged attacks; Dodgers will thank you), or increase the bonus to attack rolls for flanking by 2 if the target is already flanked. Flat-footed technically doesn't work for more than one turn anyways because it goes away when you take an action. Add an extra +2 to the attack roll for every tier of success above that.

Finally, add a second Hack that can be used at 1st level, both to ensure choices, and to give an alternative when flanking isn't viable (eg: Improved Uncanny Dodge, All-around Vision, etc.). No, I don't have any good ideas right now.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2012, 07:00:24 PM »
One possibility might be granting some skill bonuses against the target.  This could be useful both in and out of combat depending on which skills are chosen.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2012, 09:22:51 AM »
A quick skim didn't turn up any more sourcing errors, but I don't have all the books so I couldn't confirm all of the spells even if I was studying them closely.
No problem; if anyone else sees an error like this, let me know.

First, I'd make Hack affect be usable against the same creature multiple times on a failure, and on success still allow future uses against the same creature after 24 hours. If you must, increase the DC by 2 for each failure (resetting after 24 hours), but I don't see the mechanical need.
That's a good idea, I'll implement it.

Next, Tactics can let you and allies treat the creature as flanked for the full minute duration with the initial effect (yes, even with ranged attacks; Dodgers will thank you), or increase the bonus to attack rolls for flanking by 2 if the target is already flanked. Flat-footed technically doesn't work for more than one turn anyways because it goes away when you take an action. Add an extra +2 to the attack roll for every tier of success above that.
I can do flanked, but I will say that the flat-footed effect actually does work, because you're not actually making them flat-footed (which would then go away), you're letting the allies treat them as if they're flat-footed.

Finally, add a second Hack that can be used at 1st level, both to ensure choices, and to give an alternative when flanking isn't viable (eg: Improved Uncanny Dodge, All-around Vision, etc.). No, I don't have any good ideas right now.
Would having flank & flat-footed as the two be too redundant?
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.