Author Topic: The Long Road to Glory  (Read 94499 times)

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
Re: The Long Road to Glory
« Reply #60 on: January 28, 2012, 03:40:26 AM »
(Mind if I keep my previous initiative roll?  I'm also curious if that spot check revealed what the man's likely escape route would be, or if you'd like another check, if any?)

Alth's blood ran cold as he saw the man climb out of the cottage and wipe his bloody blade clean.  He quickly glanced towards his companions, and would have chuckled at Claire noticing the man in lieu of the earlier half-elf, but now wasn't the time.  He pulled out his bow, knocked an arrow, and shot it at the man in hopes it would ruin the escape attempt.  As he shot the arrow, he spoke to his companions loud enough for them to hear, but hopefully not loud enough that the ninja could.

"Quick, get in the cottage!  That woman's either dead or dying after that ninja attacked her!"

Crap rolls
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 03:43:27 AM by Jackinthegreen »

Offline kevin video

• Legendary Member
  • Hail to the King baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 28, 2012, 06:25:11 AM »
Artur's head whirled back at Alth's statement, and dropped off of his horse, withdrawing his sword.

Staring hard at everyone who were just trying to lay the blame on everyone else, he yelled out in a firm voice.

"Move yourself from my sight, or I will go through you." Smiling, he gripped his sword tightly. "I wish to enter the establishment."
I reject your reality and substitute my own.

When God gives you lemons... it's time to find a new God.

Offline SleepyShadow

• Honorary Mod
  • I should've seen that coming
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 28, 2012, 08:07:34 AM »
The gray-haired young man effortlessly deflects the arrow, then scrambles up onto the roof of the cottage. At the sound of Artur's command, the villagers scatter in all directions, leaving only the battered table behind.

Offline Shiki

• Mindraped
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 28, 2012, 12:16:54 PM »
Directed at the grey-haired man Claire yells "You! Stop right there!" although she knows the man certainly won't stop. She runs to see what's inside the cottage.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2012, 09:09:59 PM by Shiki »

Offline ShadowViper

• Don't go looking for snakes, you might find them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 28, 2012, 08:36:18 PM »
Nalbin continues his staring after directing his attention to the gray haired man. There was unfortunately nothing he could do to stop the man from his current position. So his attention stayed upon the crowd.

"Everyone jus' calm down, we be lookin' into this. Please don' leave until we sort this all out"

His eyes then moving to locate the nearest guard.

I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

Offline SleepyShadow

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 28, 2012, 09:28:20 PM »
The skittish crowd stops fleeing, but they remain wary of the adventures. As Claire runs to see what's inside the cottage, the scarf-wearing young man jumps down from the roof to interpose himself between her and the entryway. He holds his blade at the ready but does not attack.

"I'll not let you harm her," he says defiantly.

What do you do?

Offline kevin video

• Legendary Member
  • Hail to the King baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 28, 2012, 09:34:59 PM »
Artur looks at the boy brandishing a weapon at Claire, and steps forward, his sword somewhat lowered.

"We aren't looking to harm anyone who doesn't wish harm upon us, child. We just want to get to the bottom of things. You have my word as a knight."

(click to show/hide)

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 28, 2012, 09:48:23 PM »
Having seen the man wipe his bloody blade off, Alth was hesitant to believe he was guarding the woman inside and actively tried to discern whether he was lying. Sense Motive 1d20+3=21

"Considering you just came out of the cottage and wiped off a bloody blade, I have every reason to believe you are the one who has harmed her.  We won't hurt her, but we do have some questions.  Explain yourself.

Offline Shiki

• Mindraped
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 28, 2012, 10:13:37 PM »
Stoping as the young man drops off the roof, Claire steps back a foot right after he brandished his sword. Even though she is quite hesitant to believe the young man's words (Sense Motive (1d20+3=13)), she does not put her hands on her weapon.

Claire then says on a neutral tone: "Please be assured, my companion here (she points at Artur) is saying the truth; I only wish to help the person who resides in this cottage. If I lay my unsheathed weapons down, will you let me enter?" (Diplomacy (1d20+8=11))

(click to show/hide)

Offline kevin video

• Legendary Member
  • Hail to the King baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 28, 2012, 10:17:02 PM »
Hearing Alth's words, Artur's eyes change to that of suspicion. While he'd like to not think the worst, he knows that anyone's capable of anything.

Artur readies himself. If the boy attacks any of them, he'll engage.

Offline SleepyShadow

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 28, 2012, 11:09:08 PM »
(He seems to be telling the truth) "I wiped my blade clean of blood from the last wretch who tried to enter," he says firmly to Artur and Alth. "If defending a lady from harm is a crime, then I am guilty ... and please do not call me a child."

He turns his gaze to Claire as he says, "If you mean her no harm, you may enter so long as I accompany you inside."

Offline kevin video

• Legendary Member
  • Hail to the King baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 28, 2012, 11:11:48 PM »
Artur smiles at the young man, and sheathes his sword.

"My apologies. You were just protecting your fair maiden. While young, you are indeed a man."

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 28, 2012, 11:54:57 PM »
Alth put his bow away but stayed where he was.  Now that the crowd was dispersed and he wasn't rushed, he wanted to look them over to make sure nothing was fishy.

Spot 1d20+9=19

Offline Shiki

• Mindraped
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 29, 2012, 12:02:54 AM »
Smiling, Claire says happily: "Thank you. (she pauses for a second) Shall we?" and then she waits until the young man let her walk in.

Offline SleepyShadow

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 29, 2012, 03:49:38 AM »
Hesitantly, the young man puts away his blade, withdraws a key from his pocket, and unlocks the front door to the tiny cottage. He holds it open, waiting for Claire and her companions to enter. The front room of the cottage is scantly furnished. Only a small sofa by the fireplace occupies this room. An open door at the far end allows access to the kitchen, and a set of stairs leads up to the second floor. At the base of the stairs are the bodies of two men, both clearly dead.

Offline ShadowViper

• Don't go looking for snakes, you might find them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: January 29, 2012, 03:52:49 PM »
Nalbin moves through the crowd until he is standing infront of the door. Turning to face the crowd with his back to the door, intending to not let anyone through as his new companions investigate inside. Adopting the same cross armed staring posture as he had at the crowd's edges moments before.

I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 29, 2012, 04:22:03 PM »
Seeing nothing of interest in the crowd (I assume, since nothing was clarified), Alth slid past Nalbin and went into the house.  He took an overview of it as he went through.

Offline lans

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 29, 2012, 06:58:49 PM »
Alton also enters the house, relieved that unnecessary  bloodshed was avoided

Offline kevin video

• Legendary Member
  • Hail to the King baby!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 29, 2012, 07:00:35 PM »
Following in after everyone else, Artur surveys the area quickly, noticing the bodies.

Looking to the young man, he asks him of the other person in the house. "Where might the lass be?"

Offline SleepyShadow

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 29, 2012, 09:55:51 PM »
The crowd shies further away from Nalbin, (Intimidate successful) as no one has the audacity to try to attack well-armed adventurers. The citizens watch the goings-on as best they can from the other side of the street.

Alth's initial survey of the house
(Spot successful) allows him to notice that a small room to the left of the front room is a tiny room dominated by a desk and a chair. Lining the walls of the room are bookshelves, all of them stuffed beyond safe capacity. However, a more thorough search of the ground floor reveals nothing of further interest. (Search failed)

The young man eyes Alton suspiciously, but says nothing as he enters.

"Voitheia is upstairs," the young man replies to Artur. "I told her to lock the door and hide. These two men here came in through the window and tried to force their way upstairs. I did not hesitate to act."