Author Topic: Looking for a rules light World of Darness-esque system  (Read 10412 times)

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a rules light World of Darness-esque system
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2012, 12:31:47 PM »
Thanks. Did you run the prefab adventures? How did they work out for you and your players? Did they haven rpg experience outside DnD? Did you as a GM. I'm assuming you were the GM, hope this is correct ;)

Anyway, I'd like to hear your personal experience with running/playing these two prefab modules. If you would be so kind.

I've been lurking on the DFRPG boards and it seems like a cool system which results in awesome games.
One of them. I ran Night Fears as a oneshot for the rest of veekie's Pathfinder group on a weekend where the game was called off. It was also my first time DMing anything in real time. The predicted plot (teenagers enter haunted house, tell ghost stories, get spooked, run from ghosts while figuring out the proper fetch-quests to pacify each) didn't survive first contact with the players, of course, but they did end up resolving the plot, in their own way. Highlights involved a luck-fueled nerdrage that banished a ghost with an Intimidation check, setting the bedroom on fire, being mindraped by an angry baby ghost, and knife-fighting an insane mother ghost... and winning. The full IC logs are here, if you're interested. Overall, it was a riot, in more senses than one. Notably, expect anyone who plays Jaimie the psychometer to touch anything and everything you describe. In my case, her player was mildly paranoid about taking big mental stress hits from reading too powerful memories, so she deliberately avoided items that screamed 'plot' and instead kept reading items that were only supposed to be background color (and rolling godly on her Lore checks), forcing me to improvise visions from scratch as I went.
Sounds like fun. I've read the IC log (did one of your players record the whole session or what?) but it was a bit chaotic. I couldn't really tell what everybody was doing and where they were. Still, players enter story, chaos ensues sounds like a normal modes operandy for any gaming group.

Thanx for your feadback. I'll check out the adventure.
It was an IRC game, so recording the logs was as easy as using any chat client that keeps conversation logs (and cleaning them up for easier reading). Basically, yeah, the usual modus operandi for PCs.
Please send private messages regarding board matters to Forum Staff instead.

Offline Sjappo

• View Profile
    • Home Sweet Home
Re: Looking for a rules light World of Darness-esque system
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2012, 03:07:32 PM »
Thanks. Did you run the prefab adventures? How did they work out for you and your players? Did they haven rpg experience outside DnD? Did you as a GM. I'm assuming you were the GM, hope this is correct ;)

Anyway, I'd like to hear your personal experience with running/playing these two prefab modules. If you would be so kind.

I've been lurking on the DFRPG boards and it seems like a cool system which results in awesome games.
One of them. I ran Night Fears as a oneshot for the rest of veekie's Pathfinder group on a weekend where the game was called off. It was also my first time DMing anything in real time. The predicted plot (teenagers enter haunted house, tell ghost stories, get spooked, run from ghosts while figuring out the proper fetch-quests to pacify each) didn't survive first contact with the players, of course, but they did end up resolving the plot, in their own way. Highlights involved a luck-fueled nerdrage that banished a ghost with an Intimidation check, setting the bedroom on fire, being mindraped by an angry baby ghost, and knife-fighting an insane mother ghost... and winning. The full IC logs are here, if you're interested. Overall, it was a riot, in more senses than one. Notably, expect anyone who plays Jaimie the psychometer to touch anything and everything you describe. In my case, her player was mildly paranoid about taking big mental stress hits from reading too powerful memories, so she deliberately avoided items that screamed 'plot' and instead kept reading items that were only supposed to be background color (and rolling godly on her Lore checks), forcing me to improvise visions from scratch as I went.
Sounds like fun. I've read the IC log (did one of your players record the whole session or what?) but it was a bit chaotic. I couldn't really tell what everybody was doing and where they were. Still, players enter story, chaos ensues sounds like a normal modes operandy for any gaming group.

Thanx for your feadback. I'll check out the adventure.
It was an IRC game, so recording the logs was as easy as using any chat client that keeps conversation logs (and cleaning them up for easier reading). Basically, yeah, the usual modus operandi for PCs.
You've convinced me  :) I'll ditch the spellcasters for now and play one of the demo adventures. Looks like they could be finished in an evening or two. I'll try and convince my group. We're in the middle of a campaign under an other DM though. I'll see when we can take a break from that. Thanx again.
"You know you count as artillery when it would be easier to use divination magic to locate your target than a spot check"