Author Topic: Planar Revision Project: Ethereal Plane done, PROJECT IS COMPLETE!  (Read 60002 times)

Offline midnight_v

• It is good and fitting to die for the dice...
    • View Profile
Re: Planar Revision Project: Plane of Water's Finished!
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2012, 12:09:00 PM »
You seem to know about the Proteans more than I do.  What are they about beyond entropy?

You know as well as I do that 1 part of chaos is Giant Frog. Still since we're changing thing to make sense or (at least be interesting) ... I don' think it really matters WHAT you make devil lookin dopplegangers represent.

Depending upon what your group ends up deciding to mean by Chaos, this may seem pretty senselessly cruel. If the forces of Chaos are simply unorganized then you are essentially chasing down hobos and beating down the ones too drunk to get away. If Chaos is insanity than the Chaos Hunters in your game are essentially going door to door to beat up the retarded kids.

The key is essentially to not overthink it. Chaos was originally put into the fantasy genre in order to have bad guys without having to have black hatted madmen trying to destroy the world. So if Team Chaos is coming around your door, just roll with it. The whole point is to have villains that you can stab without feeling guilty while still having villains to whom your characters can lose without necessarily losing the whole campaign world.

Thing about that is to say... Slaadi represent the madness aspect of chaos. Where giant frog is the answer. It works really well for them, and has a lot of traction, and people know the slaadi CANNOT be about freedom, because of implant.

However, the proteans really, really CAN ... at which point I realize I'm thinking of the protean scourge. I was about to link they're shapeshifting powers to chaos and limbo and maybe freedom.
Foolish me, it's a very difficult thing to link chaos to freedom. Thats lawful good, thats. the dog headed guys. ymmv.
"Disentegrate...gust of wind. Can we please get back to saving the world now?"

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2012, 05:16:23 AM »
Theres another layer of imagery involved on top of the madness/change factor.

Frogs were chosen because they undergo metamorphosis, from water to land, from limbless to limbed. The factor is change-over-lifetime.
Snakes were chosen because they shed their skins, changing the surface without changing the essence.
Insects, while metamorphosing, tend to be lawfully associated, so they're out.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
    • My Fantasy and Gaming Blog
« Reply #62 on: July 23, 2012, 10:03:09 PM »
The Elemental Plane of Fire

The Elemental Plane of Fire is the most inhospitable of the Inner Planes.  The Plane of Earth has many empty pockets of caves, while burrowing creatures can move through the earth, but the extreme heat of the Plane of Fire can eradicate life at the microscopic level.  Despite its reputation, the Plane still has a large number of prominent and powerful inhabitants with a stake in the political games of the extraplanar factions.

Inhabitants

The most well-known inhabitants of the Plane of Fire include the fire elementals, Azer, Salamanders, and Efreet.  Dragons immune to the negative effects of heat and fire giants often make settlements and lairs on the plane as well, although the landscape’s flammable nature makes it a poor location for storing treasure and most objects.  With the exception of the elementals and dragons, all of these people live in highly militaristic societies on a constant war footing.

The Efreet rule the most significant cities on the Plane, carved out of perlite, various types of volcanic glass, and other fire-retardant materials.  The genies are also known for their mercantile aptitude, and their largest communities are full of powerful elemental magic, unique items and materials, and slaves from all over the Multiverse.   The Efreet allow traders and outsiders into their walled havens, but the inhabitants keep a close watch on the visitors and have no tolerance for disrespectful behavior or argument.  The sympathizers of the Djinn, anti-slavery groups, and various Chaotic and Good aligned factions routinely send spies and saboteurs into these fortress cities to strike a blow against the Efreet.

The Azer are less powerful and smaller in number, but their goods and services are in high demand due to their skill in metalworking and fire magic.  Many people who don’t want to give the Efreet money often visit Azer communities instead.  The Efreet are aware of this, and they’re making attempts to enslave as many Azer as possible to corner the market and gain knowledge of the Azer’s unique craftsmanship.  The Azer and Dwarven communities across the planes will have none of it, and provide significant protection and resources to freeing their enslaved brethren.

Holy Shrine of the Fire Lords

Fire holds a special place in societies and cultures across the Multiverse.  It is a powerful element: it is a tool which can be used to cleanse impurities, to destroy one’s enemies, to create and build powerful weapons and tools, and to provide warmth and succor against the cold elements of night.

The Holy Shrine of the Fire Lords is a fabled location that only the faithful can see.  Built in cooperation between the Elemental Lords and Deities of Fire, the temple is visited by wandering pilgrims looking to pay their respects.  The various statues and chambers honor the different aspects of fire: the Creator, the Destroyer, the Purifier, and the Bringer of Light.  Those who prove themselves worthy are blessed with miraculous abilities which deepen their connection to the Lords and Gods of Fire.  The tests center around a theme related to a certain aspect: one wishing to honor the Destroyer may be required to burn the corpse of a sworn enemy and toss its ashes into the Central Flames, while one wishing the honor the Purifier may need to embark on a quest to stop and cure a quickly spreading plague.  Those who pass the test are marked as a “Harbinger of Flames” and receive respect from the servants of all Fire Lords and Deities.  This doesn’t mean that worshipers of a rival deity or sect will aid him, only that they’ll recognize him as a worthy adversary.

Fields of Blue Flames

There are some places in the Plane of Fire where even the natives fear to tread.  Certain sections of the land are wreathed in blue flames, stretching for miles in all directions and hundreds of feet into the air.  It is said that these fires burn so hot they melt away one’s body and soul.  Efreet and Salamander alike tell their children to “fear the Curtain of Blue.”

In reality, the blue flames are as hot as the rest of the Plane, but anything they come into physical contact with is torn apart as though affected by the Disintegrate spell (DC 25 Fort Save negates, once per round, Caster Level 20th).  Living creatures and outsiders reduced to 0 hit points turn into blue flames with their visage, living souls trapped within and howling in agony (treat this as a Trap the Soul spell, except that the “gem” is a blue flame).

The only known form of protection from the blue flames is the holy symbol of a God of Death, which causes the flames to shrink back and the souls to scream in terror of the wearer.  Undead are also immune to the flame’s effects.  Clerics with the Death domain can turn the soul-entrapped flames into unique undead creations of fire and negative energy.  Anybody who manages to brave the soul-hungry flames will find a floating, mobile citadel at the land’s center.  The place is a fortified temple of Nerull, and crawling with necromancers and their undead minions (all immune to fire, of course).

The minions of Nerull (or some other evil God of Death in your campaign) are responsible for the creation of the fields of blue flames.  Nobody else is certain of what they’re planning, or why Nerull places so much stake in the Elemental Plane of Fire, but whatever dark goals the deity has in mind cannot be good for the decent folk of the Multiverse.

Adventure Hooks for the Elemental Plane of Fire:
•   An important person the PCs care about got kidnapped by Efreet.  He or she is now a slave in the City of Brass.  Normally this would be a straightforward rescue mission, except that the Grand Sultan of All Efreet has claimed ownership of the person, and the price he’s asking in return for freedom is outrageous (a bunch of rare and hard to find magic artifacts).  The PCs need to infiltrate the most heavily defended area of the Plane of Fire.  Breaking in is a feat in and of itself, but breaking out is just as hard; the Sultan will seal up the entire city to prevent the PCs from escaping, and he’ll want to kill them himself for this transgression.
•   A mass of blue flames is approaching an Azer community, and undead scouts are wreaking havoc on the outlying settlements.  The PCs will need to head into the mass and destroy the citadel in the center, but in order to do that they’ll need to claim enough holy symbols from the scouts to protect the whole party.  It’s a race against time as the PCs find the way to destroy the citadel and dispel the flames.
•   Several Baatezu engineers are using the Elemental Plane of Fire as a testing ground for their new Hellfire Juggernauts.  The PCs are hired to find out what the Baatezu are up to and how many Juggernauts are in production.  The Devil’s research outpost is heavily defended by legions of infernal creatures and Salamander mercenaries.  PCs prudent in their investigation will find out that Baator has many more Juggernauts in production, but are not meant to be used in the Blood War.  Instead, they plan on launching an attack on the Material Plane!  Their first target is one of the PC’s home town!
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 01:50:18 PM by Libertad »

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
Re: Planar Revision Project: Burn baby, burn!
« Reply #63 on: July 24, 2012, 04:58:38 AM »
For Fire, one big question is, what exactly is the geography made of? Solidified/liquified flames? Or actually more of earth/fire?

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 24, 2012, 03:38:21 PM »
So its sorta like a plane of napalm?

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 24, 2012, 04:44:36 PM »
I'm no chemist, but this sounds about right.

An advantage to the Plane is that travel and reference points are similar to the Material Plane: you have to think in 3-D terms on the other Inner Planes.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 01:43:08 AM by Libertad »

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 02, 2012, 12:43:13 AM »
Awesome!

I'm curious why you chose not to do the other lower planes, at least the ones that don't have their own books? What about the paraelemental and quasielemental planes?
add me on Steam- zook1shoe
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 02, 2012, 01:42:35 AM »
I didn't do the other Lower Planes because I thought that they already had plenty of adventuring ideas.  Gehenna is bustling with intrigue and Yugoloth double-dealings, Acheron is one big battlezone between warring nation-states, and Pandemonium's an extraplanar Mega-dungeon.  I may do ideas for them later, but for now I want to flesh out the Inner Planes.

I'll get working on the Plane of Earth sometime soon, followed by the Energy Planes.  I don't have any plans to do the para-elemental and quasi-elemental planes; they're kind of setting-specific.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 02, 2012, 04:02:47 AM »
*nods* I'd love to see the custom pictures for the other lower planes though ;)

I love the Mechanus one the most!
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 04:09:33 AM by zook1shoe »
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Endarire

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Smile! Jesus loves you!
    • View Profile
    • Greg Campbell's Portfolio
« Reply #70 on: August 03, 2012, 04:21:51 AM »
The Outer Planes in a diagram.

Pretty spiffy, huh?

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 03, 2012, 01:13:06 PM »
Wow! That's cool too!
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 04, 2012, 12:08:32 PM »
Some picture suggestions for the planes of Air, Water, and Fire:
http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/949079
http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/305139
http://danbooru.donmai.us/post/show/1201188
(Danbooru, NSFW ads, the usual, bluh bluh)

They're surprisingly difficult to find truly fitting pictures for, due to their very specific geography (good luck finding a neat underwater pic that isn't deep dark underwater, doesn't show the water surface, and doesn't show what's obviously the sea ground).
« Last Edit: August 04, 2012, 12:13:22 PM by Agita »
Please send private messages regarding board matters to Forum Staff instead.

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 04, 2012, 01:50:48 PM »
Thanks for the pictures!  Now I just need some interesting quotes for water and fire.

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
Re: Planar Revision Project: The Outlands are done!
« Reply #74 on: August 04, 2012, 06:47:07 PM »
One simply doesn’t Plane Shift into Carceri
Unrelatedly, I couldn't resist.

Offline zook1shoe

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Feeling the Bern
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 05, 2012, 02:35:27 AM »
ROFL!

That third picture would be a good paraelemental plane of magma choice, or gehenna?
- All Spells
- playground

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2012, 05:21:43 PM »
Elemental Plane of Earth

Crystal Cave by joshualim91 of deviantart

Due to limited visibility and miles of solid rock in all directions, the Elemental Plane of Earth is the least traveled of the Inner Planes (as for Fire, a lot of creatures have fire resistance/immunity).  The only creatures which can easily navigate the place need a burrow speed and certain forms of blindsense, blindsight, or tremorsense.  Colonists and planar travelers stick to the few pockets of natural caverns and excavated areas near extra-dimensional portals.  Given that most of these portals are located deep within the Material Plane Underdark, lots of dwarves, drow, illithid, and other such folk have built large “portal cities” around major trade routes.

The Great Dismal Delve

One of the most powerful inhabitants on the Plane of Earth is the Dao, a civilization of wicked genies who seek to dominate and enslave all other civilizations.  Thanks to the efforts of xorn, earth elemental, and delver servants, the Dao created a continent-wide network of cities, mines, palaces, and territory on the Plane.  The most well-traveled extra-dimensional portals are located within the Delve, meaning that the Dao have effectively cornered the market on a lot of gems and precious metals (the Plane of Earth is theoretically infinite, but most places outside of Dao control are nowhere near as large of wealthy).

The Dao nobles are imperialistic jerks who love “collecting” rare objects and people from all across the Planes, meaning that they have lots of enemies.  This is the perfect opportunity for adventurers to visit the Plane.  The Delve is large and varied enough to have entire adventures in, and palaces the size of small cities can make for an interesting sort of dungeon.  Fortunately for the PCs, the Dao are far from unified, and a rival family is more than willing to provide assistance to adventurers if they’re going up against a hated foe.

Tombs of the Primordials

The Material Plane is a very old world, full of long-forgotten empires and the ancestral legacies of sorcerous bloodlines.  In our world, the skeletons of cavemen, dinosaurs, and other ancient beings are buried beneath layers of soil and rock. In the world of Dungeons & Dragons, the presence of underground civilizations and portals means that the corpses of many prehistoric beings ended up in the museums of Underdark capitals and the Elemental Plane of Earth.

What does this mean?  Well, for starters, the Plane is home to the fossils of creatures too old to be remembered and located near the top layers of the Material Plane’s surface.  Many Plane of Earth natives revere these fossils with near-religious significance, believing them to be the legacies of powerful deities.  The Dao don’t care for the most part about their origins, and see the fossils as tools to be exploited.  The genies’ recent attempts at animating the fossils were disastrous.  Nobody knows what happened to the city in which they lived, but all traces of civilization vanished down to the last piece of dust.  Attempts at divination on the fossils (such as Speak With Dead) are unsuccessful as well, as the corpses prove surprisingly resilient to magic.  However, Detect Evil spells register an overwhelming aura.

The fossils take on weird, aberrant shapes.  They’re not “primordial” in the sense of dinosaurs.  Think of Lovecraft monsters, or the solidified forms of fungi and slime molds.

The Forlorn Path

Most maps and routes through the Plane of Earth are portal-based, more so than the other three planes.  There is a widely-connected series of portals which runs through the Plane and connects to almost all other locations on the Great Wheel.  The network is located outside of the Great Dismal Delve, making it an effective means of avoiding Dao taxation, yet most people don’t use it.  The network became known as the Forlorn path due to the huge amount of lost travelers and failed attempts at colonization.

Adventurers know they’re on the Forlorn Path by the distinctive markings.  Tunnel ceilings, walls, and floors are covered in a web of interconnected runes.  Mundane and magical attempts at translation reveal that the runes are, without exception, cryptic warnings and prophecies of vague concepts.  “Beware those beyond the Wheel,” “The hungry pit grows,” and similar sayings are the most commonly encountered.  Circular doors are spaced along the tunnel at exact 20 mile intervals, and lead into vast caverns of abandoned cities.  The buildings are grey stone spirals arranged in perfect rows and columns of 500 by 500.  Furniture and tools designed for Medium-sized humanoid figures are present, but all of them are decayed and crumble at the slightest touch.

No monsters, not even undead or constructs, have been sighted in the Path’s entire history.  The primary danger is the environment itself.  A few reported effects from survivors include the changing of gravity without reason, partners collapsing into gibbering wrecks of insanity shortly after exiting, and the painful sensation of a swarm of insects tearing off one’s skin.  Despite these horrors, there is a lucrative trade of objects originating from the abandoned cities.  Every so often, an adventurer finds an artifact or wondrous item containing great magical power.  Such items are always unique and have effects unlike any other form of magic.  Even then, the items have the same “taint” as the Path’s environment, and their passage into planar markets usually ends in the death or insanity of the current and former owners.

The Dungeon Master should use this as an opportunity to introduce new magic items into the game, preferably of a cursed or macabre nature.  It also gives PCs an interesting dilemma; the magic items they might find are powerful, unique, and in high demand.  But there effects can be disastrous, and selling them in a city will inevitably result in the deaths of innocents.  If they keep the items, they’ll eventually suffer negative effects.  Such items are usually too dangerous to just throw away, as they somehow find their way into the hands of evil folk.  Finding the way to destroy these cursed items can be an adventure in and of itself, from returning them to their resting place or braving the most inhospitable areas of the Great Wheel to find a suitable prison for them.

Adventure Hooks for the Elemental Plane of Earth:
•   It’s happened.  A Dao necromancer uncovered the means of animating the primordial fossils, and now he’s leading an army of undead alien monstrosities across the Inner Planes.  The creatures are mutable in shape and type, adapting to new terrain with frightening regularity.  He’s managed to conquer vast territories of the Great Dismal Delve, and is expanding into the other Inner Planes as well.  The PCs need to unite the disparate planar factions and genie-kind if they hope to contain the threat.  Destroying the threat is an even taller order, and may not be possible if the PCs dally for too long.  As for the Dao heading the forces… he might be a powerful spellcaster, but’s he still just a genie.  It won’t be long before the creatures gain enough power to break free of his control and incorporate him as a slave into the collective.
•   A tunneling expedition of dwarves accidentally opened up a portal into the Forlorn Path.  Thanks to legends and hearth lore, they had the good sense to leave the area alone and seal up the area.  But this did not work; the Path’s runes are now spontaneously appearing in their city, and the laws of reality are unraveling.  The military and religious leaders can barely contain social stability as the number of insane dwarves rise and entire sections of town are quarantined from the spread of runes.  The PCs are hired to find a solution and safeguard as much of the population as possible.  To make matters worse, a raiding party of nearby derro believe that the runes speak to them and attack the settlement!
•   A huge portal below a Material Plane city becomes active, sucking massive sections of town into a sinkhole leading to the Elemental Plane of Earth.  A band of Dao slavers triggered the collapse, and claim that the inhabitants are now officially within the territory of the Great Dismal Delve.  Attempts to free the citizens are repelled by an organized military force of Dao spellcasters and their enthralled minions.  The PCs, be they within the collapsed or safe section of town, are pulled into the battle as the Dao target the heavily-armored party as “potential aggressive and/or subversive elements.”
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 05:53:31 PM by Libertad »

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
Re: Planar Revision Project: Forgotten Secrets of Earth
« Reply #77 on: August 13, 2012, 05:06:56 PM »
Positive Energy Plane

*Positive Energy Plane by WyldSoul of deviantart

The Positive Energy Plane is the birthplace of all life, of all souls.  It is the extropy to the Negative Energy Plane’s entropy, the beginning to the afterlife’s end.  Like the brilliance of the sun, its raw power is so great that few can hope to stand against it unprotected.  It is pure, unrestrained creation.

The Birthplace of Everyone’s Souls

You know how undead are sustained by the essence of the Negative Energy Plane?  Well, the reverse is true for living creatures (the exceptions are outsiders and elementals, who spring forth from their respective planes).  The souls of those yet to live are formed in special citadels and gardens on the Positive Energy Plane, and then depart for the Material Plane and other worlds to inhabit potential vessels.  These “pre-born” beings are incorporeal, mindless, microscopic entities.  They belong to no species; a soul can just as easily become a lizardfolk or human depending on the vessel it enters.

These places are known as “soul gardens” to the few planar travelers aware of their existence.  Such places usually take the form of massive orbs of stone, metal, glass, or other non-living material.  The places appear bereft of life and contain no living spaces or visitor’s quarters, although divination magic and abilities which detect souls picks up the presence of quadrillions of invisible souls moving all over the place.  The sensation is overwhelming, and the caster must succeed on a Will Save (DC 25) or fall unconscious for 1 minute.  Even on a success, he is dazed for 1d6 rounds.

Due to a non-aggression pact between the major deities and planar powers, nobody save the truly mad attempt to control or halt this process.  Even undead creatures originate from living beings.  This doesn’t stop Lower Planes fiends from venturing to the Plane to snatch up some souls, but the Positive Energy Plane has a very powerful trump card: Spiritovore Energons (see Bastion of Broken Souls).

In addition to a legion of Contingency spells, magical traps, and Lumi volunteers, the souls gardens have Spiritovore Energons serving as guardians.  These large entities have inscrutable motives, but appear to be tasked with safeguarding souls.  They are supremely powerful, where even the least of their number can give a pit fiend a run for his money.  Even if a would-be southief manages to avoid detection and infiltrates the complex, he must succeed on a DC 35 Spellcraft check to cast a spell which involves the manipulation, transportation, destruction, or imprisonment of souls.  Regardless of whether the spell is successful, 1d4+1 Spiritovor Energons are teleported right next to the soulthief and attack.

Great Cities of the Lumi

The Lumi (see Monster Manual 3) are humanoid beings who radiate a magical white light.  Their floating heads are separated from their bodies, giving them a distinctive appearance among the Great Wheel’s inhabitants.  Their brilliant spiral cities of crystal are terrific works of beauty, incorporating colorful hues and giving their buildings a prismatic flair.

The Lumi are stand-offish, unafraid to speak their mind, and any form of illusion or falsehood is punishable by death.  They’d just be another group of extremists avoided by right-thinking folk, were it not for their aggressive foreign policy.  They’re particularly insistent on forcing this worldview on others, and they believe that any damage or suffering caused by their crusades will be outweighed by the long-term gain of knowledge and truth.

The Lumi used to be the slaves of an ancient empire ruled by Illusionists and Enchanters; reality was mutable, as the magicians could simulate facsimiles of reality, engender love and hate, and otherwise shape the minds and perception of the populace to do whatever they want.  A particularly strong-willed Lumi managed to break free of this magical hold, and he could not go back to this false world.  He brought the Light of Truth to his brethren and overthrew the mages; from then on, the Lumi swore to never deny reality or engage in any form of self-deception so that they can never be enslaved again.  Without propaganda, ignorance, and universal access to knowledge and truth, people can truly think for themselves and achieve freedom.  This is the Lumi’s ideal society.

Lumi cities are not located near any major planar crossroads, but they do have several valuable commodities for traders: divination magic, knowledge, and information.  Lumi libraries are truly impressive, and they steadfastly seek to preserve all forms of works produced.  The Lumi do not even destroy propaganda and factually incorrect texts, as even these works can help people learn from the mistakes of the past (“those who don’t learn from history are doomed to repeat it”); however, such books are labeled as “factually incorrect” in appropriate passages and contain editor’s footnotes refuting the offending passages.  They also sell produce of the most powerful magic items related to divination and dispelling illusion and enchantment magic; minor magic items and magical services of a relatively low Caster Level (10 or less) are sold to travelers at 120% market price, but more expensive ones require that the purchaser prove his trustworthiness to the city.  As part of the agreement, purchasers need permission to sell the more powerful items anywhere else without their consent (the Lumi aren’t fond of pure self-interest).

The Lumi serve two major purposes in games: as allies who provide the PCs with service in exchange for quests and the pursuit of knowledge, and as single-minded fanatics eager to enforce their will on the Multiverse.  A party might procure heretical texts and banned books to sell to the Lumi city, and then help fend off an invasion force from that very same city.  It might be a possibility that the Lumi have fooled themselves into thinking that their way is the correct way of living; if one of them were to ever accept this, he would commit suicide for betraying his own tenets.

The Living City

One of the more interesting inhabitants of the Positive Energy Plane is the Ravid.  These serpentine creatures are capable of granting the spark of life in non-living material.  Their very touch is enough to animate an object, and they don’t suppress this ability when on other planes (they often don’t comprehend the destruction their actions can cause).  The Ravids are a constant nuisance to the Lumi, as the devastation wrought by the creature can take years to rebuild.

A group of traveling Clerics of a God of Light established a colony on the Positive Energy Plane.  Dubbed Morning’s Gaze, the colony served as a haven for fellow believers and all who sought enlightenment.  They incorporated powerful magic into their buildings to shield themselves from the Plane’s harmful effects, but such abjurations were useless against the touch of the Ravid.  All it took was a colony of the creatures to send the city into chaos.

Buildings lurched off their foundations and moved of their own accord; furniture broke through walls and dashed down the streets; the clock tower’s arrows spun erratically; the constant ringing of the church bells deafened the local clerics.  Through some unknown magical disaster or the unique energies of the Plane, the Ravid’s spells did not wear off.  Most of the inhabitants either fled or perished, and the city to this day remains a riotous sea of ever-shifting buildings and landmarks moving without rhyme or reason.

How do adventurers factor into this?  Well, a lot of items of religious significance remain in Morning’s Gaze, most of them now animated.  The city’s too dangerous for most travelers, and navigating the place is almost impossible without magical aid.  PCs sent on a quest to this city must be wary, for every piece of treasure and magic item they find is animated and potentially hostile.

Adventure Hooks for the Positive Energy Plane:
•   An influential ally of the PCs has been found guilty of a Lumi court of being intellectually dishonest.  He was found in a Lumi city trying to sell an item by downplaying its flaws; the PCs are sent to the city to represent the ally.  They must either prove his innocence or help him escape, both of which are fraught with risks and potentially earn the undying enmity of the Lumi.
•   War has come to the Positive Energy Plane!  A minion of Orcus managed to obtain one of the unborn souls from the spiritovore citadels.  The soul is brimming with amazing power, and the other demon lords learned of Orcus’ capture.  Ambition for power has overwhelmed the fiends’ common sense, and now every demon lord, night hag, and Lower Planes soul trader of note are amassing legions of minions and mercenaries to take over the citadels.  Every major faction and deity is now amassing troops in the Positive Energy Plane to fight them off and guard the citadels.  The more treacherous deities are planning on seizing control of the citadels for their own purposes; if even one faction lays claim to even a single soul garden, they’ll have unimaginable power over countless life-forms-to-be.  The PCs may be hired hands, emissaries or champions of a deity, or just looking for an excuse to fight fiends.
•   The animated objects of the Living City have found an escape portal back to the Material Plane.  Nearby towns and villages are afflicted with the animation curse of Morning’s Gaze, and household tools and buildings start creating more duplicates to expand their reach as reinforcements from the Positive Energy Plane arrive to provide assistance.  The objects are being directed a very old and powerful Ravid, who seeks to expand the city’s influence to other Planes.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 05:57:09 PM by Libertad »

Offline Agita

• He Who Lurks
  • *stare*
    • View Profile
Re: Planar Revision Project: Think Positive!
« Reply #78 on: August 13, 2012, 05:36:09 PM »
Your spelling of Spirito-something Energons is inconsistent. I saw Spiritovore, Spiritovere, and Spiritover in the Birthplace of Everyone's Souls section.

Offline Libertad

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
Re: Planar Revision Project: Think Positive!
« Reply #79 on: August 13, 2012, 05:48:27 PM »
It's meant to be spiritovore.