Author Topic: The 5th Day  (Read 47832 times)

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
  • What is sickness to the body of a knight errant?
    • View Profile
    • The Spellshaping Codices (Homebrew Board)
Re: The 5th Day
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2012, 04:03:40 PM »
"Well, beautiful, we're looking for her because the Newspaper of Horror seems to think that it's our duty to do so.  Given that said publication is in the habit of sucking years of our lives away, I figured it was best to, you know, go along with it.  Also, it implied that protecting Ms. Christianson is the best way to prevent this whole 'end of the world' thing, so...there's that."

I flash her another smile.  She really is quite comely.
“Hast thou not felt in forest gloom, as gloaming falls on dark-some dells, when comes a whisper, hum and hiss; savage growling sounds a-near, dazzling flashes around thee flicker, whirring waxes and fills thine ears: has thou not felt then grisly horrors that grip thee and hold thee?”

Offline FelyxZephyr

• Legendary Member
  • I see only Justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2012, 04:09:04 PM »
Serako rolls her eyes.

"Are you familiar with 'The Newspaper of Horror?'  We have been receiving it against our will, or at least I have.  If not, I have a notebook that you should read through"

Serako produces her notebook of the NoH
Magic do what you will

Offline Hanako Tachibana

• Honorary Mod
  • Witch of Funerals
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2012, 04:12:36 PM »
"Oh, I'm familiar with the Newspaper of Horror.  Its odd that it would want you to look for Alissa, though.  Did it actually say that you should find her?  I can't think how she could prevent the end of the world..."
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please wait warmly until it is ready.

Offline FelyxZephyr

• Legendary Member
  • I see only Justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2012, 04:16:38 PM »
Serako reads aloud from her notebook:

"Headline:  To Restore The World

Body:  You must find Ophiuchus.  It is imperative that you find Ophiuchus.  She and she alone can save us all.  Ophiuchus can be found in the Mediarama apartments on Broken Damn road.  You must find Ophiuchus.  No harm can come to Ophiuchus.  Protect Ophiuchus.

It should be noted that this issue of the newspaper was dated June 32nd instead of July 2nd.  It was also missing the bulk of the newspaper, only containing this, the weather, and the horoscopes for Ophiuchus, Cancer, Scorpio, and Aries.  We reasoned that the Ophiuchus was the one that I rescued from the Kitsune.  However, we may be wrong.
Magic do what you will

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2012, 04:19:02 PM »
"Well, it said that we should protect her.  It was rather insistent on that."  I take off my glasses and start polishing them while Serako flips through her notebook.  What with falling asleep with them on two nights in a row, they're starting to get rather smudged.
“Hast thou not felt in forest gloom, as gloaming falls on dark-some dells, when comes a whisper, hum and hiss; savage growling sounds a-near, dazzling flashes around thee flicker, whirring waxes and fills thine ears: has thou not felt then grisly horrors that grip thee and hold thee?”

Offline Hanako Tachibana

• Honorary Mod
  • Witch of Funerals
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 14, 2012, 04:20:16 PM »
"Oh, see, the Newspaper wanted you to look for Ophiuchus, not Alissa.  That makes more sense.  It would be hard to look for Alissa, 'cause she doesn't exist any more.  She vanished when the world ended, like everyone else."
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please wait warmly until it is ready.

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 14, 2012, 04:21:02 PM »
Well.  Huh.  I put my glasses back on and--oh.

"...Mekakushi, are you an Ophiuchus, by any chance?"

Offline Hanako Tachibana

• Honorary Mod
  • Witch of Funerals
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 14, 2012, 04:21:29 PM »
"Yep."

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 14, 2012, 04:22:52 PM »
I nod.  "Well, that makes things much easier."  I pull out a pack of cigarettes.  "Any of you ladies mind if I have a quick smoke?  I'll go outside, if you prefer.  I've just had a very stressful past few days, and I could really use the opportunity to calm my nerves right now."

Offline FelyxZephyr

• Legendary Member
  • I see only Justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 14, 2012, 04:24:25 PM »
"Do you have any idea of what may be coming after you?"
Magic do what you will

Offline Hanako Tachibana

• Honorary Mod
  • Witch of Funerals
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 14, 2012, 04:25:57 PM »
Headphone Actor scrunches up her nose and says "Do that outside.  You can't smoke indoors in this apartment building."

Mekakushi replies to Serako.  "Hmm?  Something coming after me?  Well, I suppose there might be some distortions, but they aren't anything Phones can't take care of.  The Newspaper was probably just worried, that's all."

Offline FelyxZephyr

• Legendary Member
  • I see only Justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 14, 2012, 04:34:58 PM »
"Phones?  How can a phone help us?  What kind of distortions?  I'm sorry, I'm just an accountant, I don't know what on earth," she chuckles a little bit, "is going on."
Magic do what you will

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2012, 04:36:43 PM »
"Well," I say, "I'll be just outside.  Holler if you need anything.  I should only be a minute."

I head outside and light up.  While she isn't made of newspaper, Mekakushi is rather attractive, after all, and she doesn't seem offended by my advances.  Protect her, get through this, have a coffee, and maybe get my life back on track.

Man, I hope there are Lovecraftian horrors to deal with.  That would just make this perfect.

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 14, 2012, 04:51:04 PM »
After a calming cigarette, I'll come back in with a smile.

"Okay, so we're supposed to protect you.  Any idea of what you're supposed to do to return us to normalcy?  If that's what you want, of course."

Offline Hanako Tachibana

• Honorary Mod
  • Witch of Funerals
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 14, 2012, 04:58:34 PM »
"I'm Phones," says Headphone Actor.  "Headphone Actor, Phones, it's a nickname.  Err, as for distortions... Mekakushi?"

"Oh, distortions.  They aren't that complicated.  They are just pieces of broken reality that came into existence when the world ended.  This vortex world state is an unnatural continuation of an ended time line, so the distortions are seeking to break it and complete the world-end event.  That's all."  replies Mekakushi.

"Umm, Mekakushi?  English?"  asks a very confused looking Headphone Actor.

"Eh, wasn't that obvious?  Well...  Um...  Distortions are bad things that exist because the world didn't end properly.  They want to complete the job."  explains Mekakushi.

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 14, 2012, 05:03:11 PM »
"So," I ask, "would destroying these distortions bring the world back into proper existence, or do you have something else in mind?"

Offline FelyxZephyr

• Legendary Member
  • I see only Justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 14, 2012, 05:16:00 PM »
"Wait, wait, wait.  You are the first person that has spoken with any sort of confidence about this since it all started, including her," Serako points at headphones, "and Yukimura.  I'm sorry, but what happened?  You are talking about the newspaper of horror like it is some person; yesterday, the world ended; Headphone Actor beats up spirits with a bat; I went hunting for supernatural bugs; I almost died saving another ophiwhatever from a pack of kitsune or children or something.  I don't understand!  The world is over and we are trying to restore it by protecting you.  I'm sure you are super important, because the newspaper said you were and you can obviously either read minds or you've been spying on me, or maybe you are a god or a demon, but I'm Just an accountant.  I don't know what is going on!  Why am I caught up in this?  Why did the world end yesterday?"  Serako's face is red from embarrassment, but her eyes are on the verge of tears as they dart around in panic.

"I don't know what's going on, and I've been chased around every day by a stupid woman made of newspaper.  It's like something out of a horror game."
Magic do what you will

Offline Hanako Tachibana

• Honorary Mod
  • Witch of Funerals
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 14, 2012, 05:45:10 PM »
"Okay, I'll answer all these questions in order." says Mekakushi.

"First, from Angelo.  Destroying the distortions wouldn't do anything.  At least, it wouldn't fix the world.  I do, in fact, have something else in mind.  I'll get to that later."

"Next, from Serako.  As for what happened, the world ended.  Worlds end, it is just a thing that happens sometimes.  Normally no one notices."

"Next, still from Serako.  The Newspaper of Horror is a person.  Monsters and spirits, are still people, even if they aren't like you."

"Next, yet again from Serako.  Phones beats up spirits with a bat.  Its pretty cool, don't you think?  I'm pretty certain she uses that bat because it's red."

"Next, big surprise, from Serako.  If by supernatural bugs you mean Luck Locusts, I have something to ask you later."

"Next, what, from Serako again?  You saved Alissa from a pack of kitsune because you didn't want the Newspaper of Horror to take another year of your life.  You made that decision yourself, so I'm not sure why you are asking questions about it."

"Next.  I guess I'm fairly important.  I am the reason why any part of this world still exists at all.  Not to brag, or anything."

"Next.  You are caught up in this for no reason.  No reason at all.  As for why you are alive right now, the Newspaper protected you.  Presumably it saw something in you two.  As for why the Newspaper found you in the first place?  'Couldn't tell you.  Perhaps it was bad luck.  Perhaps it was fate."

"I think that is everything.  I wish I could make you feel better, but I won't lie to you.  Any other questions?"

Offline DonQuixote

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 14, 2012, 05:47:19 PM »
Might as well go for broke.  She doesn't seem to be picking up on my advances.  "Yeah.  Are you single?"

Offline FelyxZephyr

• Legendary Member
  • I see only Justice
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 14, 2012, 05:49:24 PM »
Serako begins talking at the same moment as the scorpio, so she stays quiet.  She closes her eyes as he asks that embarrassing question and waits for her turn.  "I have no more questions.  They were, in fact, Luck Locusts."
Magic do what you will