Author Topic: Convice me if you can.  (Read 4871 times)

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
  • Thread Necromancy a specialty
    • View Profile
Convice me if you can.
« on: July 23, 2012, 01:47:57 AM »
Alright, I have a problem; namely, if I'm going to watch or read a series, I have to start at the beginning. Yes, even if each and every part of said series is unrelated.

So... there are 100+ hours of Gundam in existence (can anyone give me a definite number?). I have heard that at least some of the Gundam series are good.

Does anyone have any convincing arguments as to why I should watch it? I'm serious with the whole "I have to watch everything from the start."

If it makes a difference, I do have a taste for mecha anime.

So, can anyone help?
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
Re: Convice me if you can.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 01:56:48 AM »
Shouldn't you spend your time on something more important, such as reading classical literature or understanding the nature of American/European/Middle Eastern/Global Warming/Religious/Antidisestablishmentarianism politics?
"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down."

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 02:54:57 AM »
So... there are 100+ hours of Gundam in existence (can anyone give me a definite number?). I have heard that at least some of the Gundam series are good.

Does anyone have any convincing arguments as to why I should watch it? I'm serious with the whole "I have to watch everything from the start."
G Gundam! It has practically nothing to do with regular Gundam...but its crazy awesome.
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2012, 02:59:27 AM »
Shouldn't you spend your time on something more important, such as reading classical literature or understanding the nature of American/European/Middle Eastern/Global Warming/Religious/Antidisestablishmentarianism politics?

Already done the second.

You can read my dissertation on it sometime within the next 3 years.

Anyway, I'm asking because I need something to distract me from the Horrid Ennui Monster.

And I have heard of G-Gundam... it is part of what made me ask this question in the first place.

However, there are what, 17+ Gundam series? I will have to watch all of them.

I'm not joking; there is a reason I went and read every single non-setting related 1st party D&D 3.5 book within about a month of entering the hobby.

Because I heard good things about some of them, so I decided I had to read them ALL.
"There is happiness for those who accept their fate, there is glory for those that defy it."

"Now that everyone's so happy, this is probably a good time to tell you I ate your parents."

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2012, 03:15:46 AM »
I'm not joking; there is a reason I went and read every single non-setting related 1st party D&D 3.5 book within about a month of entering the hobby.

I did this too but Gundam is less of a series and more of a collection of similar works. Similar to Final Fantasy.

I personally enjoyed Gundam Seed greatly, it felt like Code Geass lite to me. Which is awesome because Code Geass is my favorite anime of all time. I would avoid the dub of all of them pretty harshly though, especially Wing.

Offline veekie

• Spinner of Fortunes
  • Epic Member
  • Chaos Dice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2012, 03:35:50 AM »
Yeah theres no actual linear chronology, its all just similar stories(except for G Gundam, which is too insane).
Everything is edible. Just that there are things only edible once per lifetime.
It's a god-eat-god world.

Procrastination is the thief of time; Year after year it steals, till all are fled,
And to the mercies of a moment leaves; The vast concerns of an eternal scene.

Offline Pencil

• - your advertisement could stand here -
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2012, 05:51:41 AM »
Don`t do it...
Movie Quote of the Week (Brazil):
Sam Lowry: Is that one of your triplets?
Jack Lint: Yeah, probably.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2012, 06:29:23 AM »
The one I've seen the most of was Gundam Wing, which as littha mentions had a craptastic dub mostly for Toonami I believe.  It still has a pretty good story though.  G Gundam is absolutely nuts and has more in common with DBZ than other mech anime.  I remember some bits of Mobile Suit Gundam, The 08th MS team being pretty good.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gundam has most of what you'll need if you want to read over it.

Offline dipolartech

• Handy Haversack anyone?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2012, 09:13:22 AM »
I wont tell you not to watch all of it, thats up to you, but in on way shape or form must you watch all of it to "get all of the story". There isn't a "all of the story", this isn't Star Wars expanded universe style interconnection its really just a lot of people wanted to do Mecha genre anime series(es?) and Gundam is the most popular name in the genre. So they borrowed the name and some of the tropes and then wrote a mostly encapsulated story. Some of the different releases work together but anything with Char in it doesn't really have much in common with stuff like Gundam Seed story cannon wise. I think the biggest thing they have in common is the doomsday tropes they use...

Offline Amechra

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2012, 12:34:47 PM »
I know that none of them are interconnected plot wise; it's just that, while I consciously know that, I have a part of my subconscious that will rage at me for daring to only watch bits and pieces.

But if I can fight it to death (and I'll be watching subs, thank you very much), I think I'll be watching:

G-Gundam
Gundam Seed
Mobile Suit Gundam

Are there any others that mesh together with each-other?

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 01:07:30 PM »
The first few are all in a single continuity (Universal Century, look up the details). IIRC it's supposed to be a better idea to watch the compilation movies for some of those.

Offline Morph Bark

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 08:30:30 PM »
Y'know, I used to have the same compulsion. Luckily though, I don't really like Gundam from what I've seen from it and thus stuck to different anime that didn't go on as long.

If you want to start all the way at the beginning, just start with the first series and see where you get from there. If you like the first few episodes, watch the entire season, then the entire series (if it is more than one season) and if by then you haven't had enough yet go on to the next. At some point you will most likely encounter a Gundam series you don't like though, which may not be the final one, meaning there'd be more Gundam series ahead of you that might be good and might be bad. What will you do then?

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 08:56:12 PM »
Quote from: A mecha fan who doesn't have an account here
Watch 08th MS Team after watching MSG
and read Crossbone Gundam
because these two are way better than any Gundam TV show
I'm not familiar with those series beyond their basic premises, but I hear good things about them.

Offline kurashu

• Tinker Mechanic Programmer Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 05:17:11 PM »

G Gundam! It has practically nothing to do with regular Gundam...but its crazy awesome.

Oh god G Gundam. "Making a fighting animu, except gundams. Love conquers all." And the staff just ran with it as far as they could, because no one stopped them. Evar.

08th MS Team and Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memory are my two favorite series. Gundam Wing is good, but it does have a shit dub (still better than a sub, if you ask me). MS Gundam is really good, I'd recommend that as your starting point. Make sure to watch at least Char's Counterattack afterwards, too.

Offline Zionpopsickle

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Lurking
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2012, 09:08:48 PM »
The best of the Gundam series are probably Zeta and Turn A.  Zeta is a sequel to Mobile Suit Gundam so it requires that you watch MSG, 08th MS team, and 0083 first to get all of the backstory and a full picture of the political situations of the series.

Turn A is quite good but is very different than other gundams, much like G Gundam.

Really, the best way is to watch the UC timeline which goes MSG, 08th MS Team, Gundam 0080, gundam 0083, Zeta, Double Zeta, Char's Counterattack, Gundam Unicorn, Gundam F-91, Victory Gundam

There is the Cosmic Century timeline which is SEED and SEED destiny which suffers because SEED is a somewhat mediocre remake of MSG and Destiny is a pile of failed potential that gets increasingly stupider as it goes on.

One of the most interesting series is the Alternate Century tale Gundam X which is an altered history story but suffers because the series was condensed during the last chunk of the series so the ending feels exceedingly rushed.

G Gundam is a whole bunch of hilarious awesome that is totally ludicrous and over the top but displays very strong storytelling skills.

Gundam Wing is generally mediocre because it has much weaker main characters than the rest of the series but this makes it a pretty good introductory series because there is a lot less to keep track of.

Offline altpersona

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
    • You are here
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2012, 12:06:40 AM »
i agree w/ Pencil.  ;)
The goal of power is power. - 1984
We are not descended from fearful men. - Murrow
The Final Countdown is now stuck in your head.

Anim-manga still sux.

Offline Arz

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • New season
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2012, 10:32:37 AM »
Alternately, I'll pimp some other classics.

VOTOMS - The mecha starship troopers wished to copy.

Legend of Galactic Heroes - Biggest list of seiyuu used in one series. Dry though, if politics and naval warfare hold no interest for you.

Good summary, Zion.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2012, 04:25:23 PM »
Code Geass- if all you want is FABULOUS.