Author Topic: Discussion  (Read 28615 times)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Discussion
« on: August 07, 2012, 08:35:50 PM »
Please post any comments or critiques here; I'll be locking threads until the rest of the material is posted.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
Re: Discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 08:49:23 PM »
Copying over my working notes so they aren't lost.

Working on some ideals.
I'm not doing the exotic weapons. Those, I leave to you, Sirpercival.
I'll get to the disciplines later.

Chromatic
(click to show/hide)

Metallic
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 09:15:58 PM by Garryl »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 08:51:49 PM »
Lol.  I just posted about that in the original thread.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 08:57:30 PM »
Alright, question.  How do I organize each Ideals post?  Here's the situation:

~The Ideal powers will be the same for all Idealists, as will the Damage and Resistance entry.
~Each Idealist class will get something class-specific from each Ideal.  WW's will get disciplines, skills, and exotic weapon profs, while Dragonmages will get spells known and maybe something else.  Not sure yet what Scalethieves will get.

My thought was, for each post, have spoilered sections: Ideal powers, WW class-specific, Dm class-specific, ST class-specific.  Within each section there will be writeups for each dragon.

Does that sound intuitive?  Can anyone think of a better setup?

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 09:17:00 PM »
Gold Dragon is done but for a discipline (and exotic weapons, but I don't like to touch those). I've kinda tapped out the disciplines I really know about, and I don't really have the energy to look through what's around for what might fit.

Keep the contents of each ideal together. Bits that are hyper-specific to a given class and can't be summarized in a couple of lines should be spoilered further, but otherwise keep it as open as possible so people can skim it at a glance.

Have you decided on a primary mechanic for Scalethieves?

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 09:19:50 PM »
Have you decided on a primary mechanic for Scalethieves?

Not yet.  At the moment the leading candidate is skill & feat abilities... the problem with most homebrew mechanics out there is that I'd have to add a ton of content to make it stack up with WW & Dm.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 09:38:14 PM »
I would have thought something like skill tricks but that would be a pain and a half to do.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2012, 09:56:04 PM »
I would have thought something like skill tricks but that would be a pain and a half to do.

Yeah, there just aren't enough skill tricks around.  I'd have to write a ton of them.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2012, 10:08:24 PM »
What kinds of mechanics have already been used for skillmonkey type? Usually it's just +xd6 precision damage somehow, but there are a few classes that have something more. Factotum (Inspiration), Ninja (Ki), um, any others? I think the Malefactor is a skillful type, although I don't really know of that many homebrew skillmonkeys. Kellus's Truenamer came close-ish, I think.

Other than spellcasting and ToB, I don't think there are any subsystem around with the breadth to support so many ideals. Even ToB can only do it due to the amazing homebrew support it has. What was it, 160 or so homebrew disciplines? On top of the 9 that were actually printed in ToB? Spellcasting might be big enough because it gets all the support WotC has to offer, but it isn't neatly sorted by theme like ToB's disciplines are. Domains are the closest you'll get to themed spell groupings, but they're a little small and there are too few of them to use exclusively. Offhand, I'd guess there to be about 75 domains, plus another 20 or so Wizard domains in UA. That might be just enough, although since they don't all sync exactly with the dragon types that are around, you might have to make a few more to fill the gaps if you go with domains. There are, what, about 50-60 ideals planned?

What might be interesting is to have a combination of subsystems (assuming you can't find one that's big enough already). Depending on the ideal, you might get some truenaming, incarnum, binding, ritual casting, inspiration, spellshaping, synthevolving, morphing, implementing, slicing, activating, echocalling, chronomancy, etc. abilities for the day. There are enough homebrew systems around, you can probably do it with no more than two or three ideals granting the same system, although you might want more overlap for the larger systems so people can get access to more than the bare minimum of it.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2012, 10:13:59 PM »
I was basically going to make my own arcane domains for Dm.  That's just a matter of organizing, not writing 193834958 spells, so it's fine.

I like that collection-of-subsystems idea... make it a very swiss-army-knife kind of a class.  It'll likely be complicated to play, though... one thing that could be fun is giving each Ideal grouping a unique subsystem.  Like all chromatics are implementing or what have you.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2012, 10:22:47 PM »
I was basically going to make my own arcane domains for Dm. 

I would have just been lazy and given the ability to cast any spell with the same energy type as your damage/resistance...

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2012, 10:37:26 PM »

I would have just been lazy and given the ability to cast any spell with the same energy type as your damage/resistance...

That would leave about 80% of the spells out, and make the rest available very easily with Energy Substitution.

I was basically going to make my own arcane domains for Dm.  That's just a matter of organizing, not writing 193834958 spells, so it's fine.

I like that collection-of-subsystems idea... make it a very swiss-army-knife kind of a class.  It'll likely be complicated to play, though... one thing that could be fun is giving each Ideal grouping a unique subsystem.  Like all chromatics are implementing or what have you.

There are a few classes like that already. Dabblemaster, Sentai, and Scavenger (I think) off the top of my head.

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2012, 10:39:55 PM »

That would leave about 80% of the spells out, and make the rest available very easily with Energy Substitution.

Depends how you word it. If your spell list contains only spells with the [Fire] descriptor then I fail to see how Energy Substitution helps. It does leave you with some rather small spell lists that pretty much only do blasting but that might actually be a good thing unless you want to go for all out god wizardry.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2012, 12:38:19 AM »
Just wanted to say that I like how this is going (even if it seems a bit overly ambitious), and I wanted to post so that I'll remember to keep tabs on it.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2012, 07:27:36 AM »
Just wanted to say that I like how this is going (even if it seems a bit overly ambitious), and I wanted to post so that I'll remember to keep tabs on it.

Lol.  I'm glad you like it!  And yes, I tend to be overly ambitious.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2012, 08:40:29 AM »
I posted the incomplete dragonmage.  It still needs some class features, and I have to work out the spell & Ideal progressions.

I'm going to start from the Sorc, but I want fewer spells known & per day to counterbalance the other class features.  When you first get access to a spell level, you'll have 0 spells known, but you get the floating spell from the Ideal.

So, my question is, what's a good progression for all this?  Any suggestions?

Offline littha

• Epic Member
  • +1 Holy Muffin
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 08, 2012, 08:45:55 AM »
Use the Wizards Spells/day table if you want less than sorcerer but a still usable ammount.

Your text refers to level 0 spells but they are absent from your table.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 09:02:09 AM by littha »

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 08, 2012, 08:48:06 AM »
I'm going to start from the Sorc, but I want fewer spells known & per day to counterbalance the other class features.

You don't get to use both spells per day and and class features since the class features require you to sacrifice spell slots.  Or maybe just have some extra 1st level (sacrificial) slots.

When you first get access to a spell level, you'll have 0 spells known, but you get the floating spell from the Ideal.

It may have been that I was just reading too quickly, but I thought I read it as you get access to that spell, but you don't get a use of it for free.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 08, 2012, 08:49:38 AM »
I'm going to start from the Sorc, but I want fewer spells known & per day to counterbalance the other class features.

You don't get to use both spells per day and and class features since the class features require you to sacrifice spell slots.  Or maybe just have some extra 1st level (sacrificial) slots.
I meant the Ideal powers, mostly.

When you first get access to a spell level, you'll have 0 spells known, but you get the floating spell from the Ideal.

It may have been that I was just reading too quickly, but I thought I read it as you get access to that spell, but you don't get a use of it for free.
[/quote] Not sure what you mean.  You'll have spell SLOTS of the new level, but no spells known, so you can pick your floating spell from your Ideal to spend the slots on.

Offline Prime32

• Over-Underling
  • Retired Admin
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 08, 2012, 08:54:18 AM »
Can I suggest a PrC which permanently binds you to an Ideal, and turns you into a true dragon of that type? (just grant size increases and the universal natural weapons/etc. of true dragons)