Author Topic: The Archery Handbook discussion  (Read 12188 times)

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
The Archery Handbook discussion
« on: August 16, 2012, 12:39:06 AM »
Link

Since we don't have a discussion for it up, I figured I'd make one.

Why?

Mostly because being an outsider allows the archer to be polymorphed into an Arrow Demon.  Polymorph grants the character the extraordinary special attacks of the new form, so that particular form gains Close Combat Shot, Oversized Weapons, and Symmetrical Archery on top of the very respectable physical scores.

Bit of a shame it can't Manyshot with both bows, but it's still a great archer form.

The original author made mention of Dragon Mag material.  I'd recommend adding the Targetteer fighter variant from Dragon 310 to it as well as the Dead Eye feat.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2012, 01:03:29 AM by Jackinthegreen »

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
Re: The Archery Handbook discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2012, 01:11:26 AM »
The Bone bow from Frostburn does not auto-adjust depending on the user's strength mod.
"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down."

Offline Esgath

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2012, 12:02:01 PM »
Elvencraft (+300 gp) [RoTW Pg. 166]
This quality is one of the best things you could ever add to a bow and only costs 300gp. Basically, it makes your Bow double as either a Club (Shortbow) or Quarterstaff (Longbow). Greatbow isn't touched upon in RoTW, but it would probably also be either a Quarterstaff or a Longstaff. This is a great way to fight both, in range and in melee without Quick Draw and to avoid having to cause AoOs by firing bow when threatened. This is also one of the best ways to build a Sublime Way Archer as Elvencraft Bow allows using the martial strikes in melee when need be while still giving you the freedom to fire at will.
This enhancement can't do that, you still provoke when firing arrows.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 03:29:18 PM »
Quote from: RotW
When wielding an elvencraft bow, the user threatens the squares around him no matter how he last used the weapon.

That's the part where things get a bit funny.  The interpretation in the handbook is that because the character still threatens the spaces around him, enemies don't get an AoO.

Offline Esgath

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2012, 04:13:12 PM »
Which doesn't help, because you get AoOs in your face because the PHB says ranged attack in melee range = provoking. Not because you don't threaten the space.

Offline Wereling

• Lurker
  • Mostly asleep
    • View Profile
    • The Unqualified Networks Podcast
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2012, 11:29:34 AM »
Apologies for the thread necromancy. I'd love to see some discussion of the Soulbond Weapon ACF vs. having a Deep Crystal bow for PsyWar builds. Deep Crystal looks like it could be an interesting way to deal extra damage, but so far as I can tell you can't have a Soulbond Deep Crystal bow because Soulbond says the weapon has to be of "normal" materials.
__
The contents of this post may not be accurate or thought out. Indeed they may not have been posted consciously.

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2012, 11:58:31 AM »
Which doesn't help, because you get AoOs in your face because the PHB says ranged attack in melee range = provoking. Not because you don't threaten the space.

there is another bow which has a quality which prevents AoO, it wasn't cheap, but for some builds it was worth not having to take certain classes.

Offline Nytemare3701

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • 50% Cripple, 50% Awesome. Flip a coin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 05:00:40 AM »
Apologies for the thread necromancy. I'd love to see some discussion of the Soulbond Weapon ACF vs. having a Deep Crystal bow for PsyWar builds. Deep Crystal looks like it could be an interesting way to deal extra damage, but so far as I can tell you can't have a Soulbond Deep Crystal bow because Soulbond says the weapon has to be of "normal" materials.

This is correct. A lenient DM would probably just have you pay the associated costs (1000gp) or the equivalent XP cost (200xp) to alter your weapon.

Here's the real question though: Can you "overcharge" a deep crystal weapon by RAW? RAI is an obvious no, as that would be insane.

Offline Wereling

• Lurker
  • Mostly asleep
    • View Profile
    • The Unqualified Networks Podcast
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2012, 11:14:45 AM »

This is correct. A lenient DM would probably just have you pay the associated costs (1000gp) or the equivalent XP cost (200xp) to alter your weapon.

Here's the real question though: Can you "overcharge" a deep crystal weapon by RAW? RAI is an obvious no, as that would be insane.

The relevant section (taken from D20SRD.org):
As a free action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity, the wielder can channel psionic power into a melee weapon or ranged weapon made of deep crystal. For 2 power points, the deep crystal weapon deals an extra 2d6 points of damage. The weapon will stay charged for 1 minute or until it scores its next hit. Bows, crossbows, and slings bestow this power on their ammunition. All missile weapons lose this effect if they miss. However, they may be recovered and charged again.

RAW there's no real reason I can see that you wouldn't be able to, since it's a free action and it doesn't mention any kind of maximum charge capacity for the material. I think you're right that RAI it's supposed to be 2 points and that's it, but maybe it's abusable.

Would Deep Crystal + Psionic Shot + Greater Psionic Shot + Psionic Meditation + Hustle be a good way to go? Seems like that might be a way to stack up a ton of damage into one shot, maybe helping deal with DR.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2012, 11:24:38 AM by Wereling »
__
The contents of this post may not be accurate or thought out. Indeed they may not have been posted consciously.

Offline kalaskaagathas

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Kwisatz Haderach
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2013, 11:43:55 PM »
If PF feats are being included, Clustered Shots should be considered.  It helps reduce the "DR shafting archers" issue.
Fortune, good-night: smile once more; turn thy wheel!

Call me KA

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2013, 12:15:16 AM »
PF stuff is in there, but the handbook itself can only be edited by Prime or another moderator unless someone else who regularly checks in feels like making a new topic so they can update it.

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2018, 04:15:18 AM »
The hour is nigh.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2018, 10:10:57 AM »
PF stuff is in there, but the handbook itself can only be edited by Prime or another moderator unless someone else who regularly checks in feels like making a new topic so they can update it.

I can obviously update, but PMing Prime might be best as a starting point.

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 06:17:45 AM »

Offline nijineko

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • two strange quarks short of a graviton....
    • View Profile
    • TwinSeraphim
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2018, 08:34:35 AM »
any non-outsider options for really effective archery?

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2018, 09:31:09 PM »
Choker

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2018, 09:10:09 PM »
any non-outsider options for really effective archery?
Thri-kreen are pretty good.  More mobile than most, both Str and Dex bonuses, can dual-wield bows, and free Deflect Arrows for when you're dealing with other ranged builds.  As an archer, you almost always have a free hand.
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2018, 01:48:25 AM »
Excellent, thank you.

Offline Vladeshi

• Feel free to ignore me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2018, 09:06:51 PM »
Useful item for the skirmish archer.
Sparring Dummy of the Master(A&E, pg 137)
Requires you to take at least one level of monk and train using it for four weeks.
Turns all of your 5-foot steps into 10-foot steps, full-round attack skirmish is a go!
It cost you 30k but you can always sell it after you finish training to get half of that back.
The following explanation has been removed due to time constraints, character limits on posts, and the DC 30 Spellcraft checks to understand large portions of it.

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2018, 11:22:05 PM »
A level in Monk?

Well, at least the archer will get UMD as a class skill...