Author Topic: The Sensational Samurai Handbook Discussion Thread  (Read 19419 times)

Offline SleepyShadow

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I should've seen that coming
    • View Profile
The Sensational Samurai Handbook Discussion Thread
« on: September 08, 2012, 06:09:47 PM »
Alright, here we go!  :)

Offline betrayor

• Monitoring...
    • View Profile
Re: The Sensational Samurai Handbook Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2012, 09:03:00 PM »
Well there is an optimization thread from Brilliant Gameologists....

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9653.0

There was also a handbook in the  WotC boards but it is long gone....
I have it archived if you are interested.....

Offline carnivore

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I'm new! sort of
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2012, 09:13:46 PM »
hows this for Samurai

Blooded one Phrenic Gray Elf (LA bought off)
CW Samurai 20

Attributes (32pt buy)(Racial adjust +2 Dex,+2 Con,+2 Int,+2 Wis,+4 Cha)

26 Str(14 +4 Inherent(Arm) +2 lvl +6 Enhancement Belt)
22 Dex(14 +2 Racial +6 Enhancement Belt)
22 Con(14 +2 Racial +6 Enhancement Belt)
20 Int(12 +2 Racial +6 Enhancement Belt)
16 Wis(8 +2 Racial +6 Enhancement Belt)
34 Cha(16 +4 Racial +3 lvl +5 Inherent +6 item)

Traits, Flaws, Feats
(click to show/hide)

Skills
(click to show/hide)

Equipment:
(click to show/hide)

What makes this a Fun Build:
  • 1)Combat: BAB +20, Full Attack with Greater TWF = +33/+33/+28/+28/+23/+23/+18 , also Retributive Attacks vs any Melee attack(Even if it misses) 6 per round @ +35
  • 2)Semi Skillmonkey: Skills: can roll for any Skill Check allowed ... thus can Aid Another with any skill
  • 3)Party Face: +65 Diplomacy Check ..... it is very effective at this role all the time, on a roll of 5 or better he can make a Hostile crowd Turn Helpful as a Rushed Check(Full Round action @-20) .... on the second round they will all be Fanatic Followers
  • 4)UMD: he can take 10 with any UMD check and Never Fail to operate any Magic item ...thus he casts 9th lvl spells(Arcane and Divine from any List)
  • 5)Intimidate: he can make any creature(not immune to it) Cower in a 100' radius with a +51 Intimidate check... that does not include adding in the 1d20 roll
  • 6)Iaijutsu Focus: on a Roll of 1-4 he does +7d6 damage extra, 5-9 +8d6, 10-14 +9d6, 15-19 +10d6, 20 +11d6
  • 7)Sense Motive: +21 to the roll
  • 8)+24 to any Cha based Skill

All in all it is Not a One-Trick Pony, but a decent stand Alone Character that would work with almost any party

Other Build Examples:

ninjarabbits very strong Raging Samurai build .... very nice, very efficient
(click to show/hide)

ninjarabbits Daring Samurai build, very nice good Synergy and combo with Knowledge skills and Sneak Attack + Cha boosts(Divine Might)
(click to show/hide)

betrayors very nice Incarnum augmented build, very nice
(click to show/hide)

Carnivores "Kiai Smite" Samurai Archer .... using Manyshot+Kiai Smite+Exitwound Weapon for major Ranged Damage
(click to show/hide)

other optimization Paths for this that have not been considered in depth might be:

CW Samurai 10/ Warmind 10 ... for a Psionic Flavor, still maintain Full BAB and get 5th lvl PW powers, while keeping some of the best Samurai abilities(bonus feats: Exotic Weapon(Bastard Sword),TWF,Quickdraw,Imp Initiative, Kiai Smite, Intimidate(all in 30' rad)), Cha based Skills(Diplomacy, Intimidate) .... nice Lawful feel for the character

CW Samurai 17/ Exotic Weapon master 3 ...useful Exotic Weapon Tricks to consider: Flurry of Strikes, Twin Exotic Weapon Fighting, Trip Attack, Uncanny Blow ..... would work well with Sunblades

CW Samurai 10/ Pious Templar 10 .... gain Divine Spells, Mettle, Weapon Specialization+2 bonus feats, DR 2/-, 3/day Smite(melee only) .... take Extra Smite for lots of additional smites

CW Samurai 10/ Kensai 10 .... focus on Weapon, but also gain major boost to Bluff, Diplomacy, Gather Information, or Intimidate skills

CW Samurai 10/ Ronin 10

CW Samurai 10/ xxxx 10 .... for any Full BAB PrC

here is something that might add a lot to a CW Samurai build..... from here:

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/cwc/20070227x
Dead Levels II Character Class Companion

SAMURAI

Complete Warrior, pg. 8

The samurai has six dead levels, the first of which occurs at 4th level. The samurai class is a highly specialized warrior who is extremely talented at demoralizing opponents, two-weapon fighting, and making a single decisive strike. Their primary dead level ability offers an alternate use of a daily charged ability by developing a skill that samurai are already good at using.

Breaking Stare (Ex): At 4th level, the samurai can internalize their mastery of kiai into making a subject fear for their life. When attempting to change behavior, a samurai can spend 1 use of their kiai smite ability to negate a target's Wisdom modifier for a single Intimidate check.
At 9th level, a samurai negates a target's modifiers on saves against fear.
At 13th level, a samurai negates a target's immunity from being intimidated for being a paladin of 3rd level or higher.
At 15th level, a samurai reduces the size modifier of a target by one category.
At 18th level, a samurai reduces the size modifier of a target by two categories.

Interrogator (Ex): At 19th level, the samurai becomes so certain in the use of Intimidate to change behavior that the character can use it reliably even under adverse conditions. When making an Intimidate check to change behavior, the samurai may take 10 even if stress and distractions would normally prevent the character from doing so.

these should help a lot

:D

Offline SleepyShadow

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2012, 09:43:34 PM »
Well there is an optimization thread from Brilliant Gameologists....

http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=9653.0

There was also a handbook in the  WotC boards but it is long gone....
I have it archived if you are interested.....

That's great. Thanks   :)

Offline Maat Mons

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • What is a smile but a grimace of happiness?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 08:51:44 PM »
A samurai should be able to make use of gloves of the balanced hand (Magic Item Compendium) to duplicate improved two-weapon fighting.  The “treated as having” bit should apply when determining the effects of the item. 

Two Swords As One: Eww. You are treated as if you had TWF. Problem? You don't actually have the feat, so you don't qualify for any of the entertaining/effective two-weapon style feats.

Masters of the wild has an entry on page 20 allowing you to use things like that to fulfill prerequisites. 

Offline SleepyShadow

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 09:19:49 PM »
I will make a note of it, but it is 3.0 material if I remember correctly.

Offline snakeman830

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • BG's resident furry min/maxer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2012, 12:03:37 PM »
The Daisho Proficiency ability does not grant the weapons, only the proficiency.
"When life gives you lemons, fire them back at high velocity."

Offline rilem

• Lurker
  • I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2012, 09:41:56 PM »
Hey, just noticed this -- glad to see somebody's taken an interest in poor ol' Sam.

I had put together the Samurai Handbook back on the WotC boards -- I've pasted the original draft below. Doesn't have everything the old thread did (I see that Binder multi classing is missing, for one thing) but does include some decent stuff.

There's the occasional 3.0 thing in it, like Khazra Reborn's idea to use Golden Wakazashis (which are power attackable) from FRCS, but nearly everything else is 3.5 legit. All of the OA-dependent stuff, for example, should be kosher, since OA was officially updated.

The key theme throughout — and this is somewhat different from the Sensational Samurai thread — is an effort to make Two Swords as One actually useful. I think that's a valid goal, as many people seem attached to the idea of a heavily armored TWF-er, regardless of whether it's mechanically effective or not.

Hope it helps:

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 12, 2012, 04:43:11 PM by rilem »

Offline FlaminCows

• Push that button. Doo eeet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2012, 11:08:22 PM »
One thing that might be good to add is a footnote about "The Other Samurai", as in the base class from Oriental Adventures. Its related only in that they share a name, but since it is a dip class (nobody ever takes the 3rd level of Oriental Samurai) even an in-depth handbook for the class would only take up a post, if that. It is, however, a good dip class, so a mention of it would be handy, especially considering somebody who clicks on the Samurai Handbook might actually be looking for it.

(click to show/hide)

Offline SleepyShadow

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2012, 01:59:35 PM »
Thanks, and I will be working on the handbook again in the very near future. I really appreciate all of the help. PM harass me if I haven't started working on it again by January 1  ;)

Offline SleepyShadow

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2016, 05:19:17 AM »
The Sensational Samurai Handbook is finally complete.

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2016, 04:01:36 PM »
One thing that might be good to add is a footnote about "The Other Samurai", as in the base class from Oriental Adventures. Its related only in that they share a name, but since it is a dip class (nobody ever takes the 3rd level of Oriental Samurai) even an in-depth handbook for the class would only take up a post, if that. It is, however, a good dip class, so a mention of it would be handy, especially considering somebody who clicks on the Samurai Handbook might actually be looking for it.

(click to show/hide)

We could put the Samurai in our Samurai for more Samurai per Samurai.
"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down."

Offline SleepyShadow

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2016, 04:09:49 PM »
I like it  :cool

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2016, 05:48:26 PM »
Dead Levels
The samurai has six dead levels, the first of which occurs at 4th level. The samurai class is a highly specialized warrior who is extremely talented at demoralizing opponents, two-weapon fighting, and making a single decisive strike. Their primary dead level ability offers an alternate use of a daily charged ability by developing a skill that samurai are already good at using.

Breaking Stare (Ex): At 4th level, the samurai can internalize their mastery of kiai into making a subject fear for their life. When attempting to change behavior, a samurai can spend 1 use of their kiai smite ability to negate a target's Wisdom modifier for a single Intimidate check. At 9th level, a samurai negates a target's modifiers on saves against fear. At 13th level, a samurai negates a target's immunity from being intimidated for being a paladin of 3rd level or higher. At 15th level, a samurai reduces the size modifier of a target by one category. At 18th level, a samurai reduces the size modifier of a target by two categories.

Interrogator (Ex): At 19th level, the samurai becomes so certain in the use of Intimidate to change behavior that the character can use it reliably even under adverse conditions. When making an Intimidate check to change behavior, the samurai may take 10 even if stress and distractions would normally prevent the character from doing so.

Master Samurai in S+F
Dragon Samurai in Miniatures

Ronin also in CW ... is interesting in the regained levels part, that looks like the Blackguard stuff. 
idk the details of the small dollop of cheese involved in that.

Uncanny Trickster, though the feats version is almost certainly better for Sam.
Legacy Champ as usual.
Bloodlines ... not quite so useful on either Sam.

More Samurai than Samurai !!
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Arz

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • New season
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2016, 03:25:36 PM »
Anointed Knight (BoED) goes well with the OA Samurai. Menacing Brute is good for enhancing intimidation results and Avenging Executioner gets a nod on this too.

And Sam+Sam+Bloodline=faux Sam levels for Ronin. This works well to rebuild and retain the samurai's charismatic features.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2016, 03:59:17 PM by Arz »

Offline awaken_D_M_golem

• Epic Member
  • classique style , invisible tail
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 11, 2016, 04:07:26 PM »

... And Sam+Sam+Bloodline=faux Sam levels for Ronin. This works well to rebuild and retain the samurai's charismatic features.

How does that work ?

If so,
aSam 3 / bSam 2 / MajorB (2) / DSam 1 / MSam 1 looks like the hardest part / Ronin
gives you 8 Ronin trade off levels
sans MSam you'd get to 9 easily at the 3rd MajorB level
Your codpiece is a mimic.

Offline Arz

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • New season
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2016, 06:30:33 PM »
Its useful for rebuilding a Sam20 as long as you retain 6 sam levels and 2 levels of ronin. Something like Samurai2/OASam2/Bloodline3/Ronin2 and 11 of whatever after rebuild.

Offline PlzBreakMyCampaign

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Immune to Critical Hits as a Fairness Elemental
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2016, 11:28:01 AM »
You could try to get a DM to take that interpretation, but its well known to be rather broken. The more balanced interpretation is that BL adds levels to the ability (in this case Ronin's) rather than mulitple classes first which then feed into the ability. It's a stacking problem, basically.

Furthermore, the "former samurai" ability is chart-based so BLs don't help, although it wouldn't be broken for your DM to allow it.

Offline SleepyShadow

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2018, 01:32:36 PM »
Finally getting around to covering the OA Samurai. Lots of oddball goodies out there for them if you dig hard enough.

Offline Solo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Sorcelator Supreme
    • View Profile
    • Solo's Compiled Works
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2018, 04:21:22 PM »
No mention of Kensai or Soulbow? DISHONOR! Dishonor on you, dishonor on your family, dishonor on your cow!
"I am the Black Mage! I cast the spells that makes the peoples fall down."