Author Topic: OOC Discussion  (Read 101457 times)

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
OOC Discussion
« on: November 09, 2011, 10:42:26 PM »
Discuss whatever you like here, as pertains to the game. In-character discussion still takes place in the game thread, of course.

Offline Calchexxis

• View Profile
Re: OOC Discussion
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2011, 06:38:30 PM »
I never did choose a color for my character's voice, what colors are already taken?

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2011, 06:40:25 PM »
I'm red, obviously.

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2011, 11:49:25 PM »
I'm brown.

... and did we level up? I don't remember....

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2011, 12:39:48 AM »
Nope, you've only been in two real encounters so far. I understand how anticipation of leveling goes, but this is a pretty long campaign as I've planned it. I'm planning on giving you guys extra stuff in between leveling, as I did in this battle. Once I get out of the module content, I can tweak the leveling a bit easier. I may alter the current content if it's going too slowly, but I can't go too far without reason. If you guys do something not covered by the module, though, I'm prepared to improvise when needed. Don't feel obligated to follow one path, even if sometimes one way seems more obvious than others. I'm pretty adaptable. :)

Offline Calchexxis

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2011, 01:32:01 AM »
Guess Cal will speak in Green unless that's taken.

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2011, 01:41:51 AM »
Note to self: check on my familiar...

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
  • The devil so nice, they damned him thrice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2011, 01:56:51 AM »
I'm using gray, just fyi.
I'm here and ready to keep confusing the hell out of everyone I meet.

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2011, 02:19:08 AM »
Risada, just a reminder, I'm willing to try something else if the familiar is too much extra bookkeeping or requires too many outside resources.

Offline Risada

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 09:00:20 PM »
Risada, just a reminder, I'm willing to try something else if the familiar is too much extra bookkeeping or requires too many outside resources.

No problem... I made my choice: I'm going with a book imp. And it doesn't need to look mechanical... looking devilish is cooler  :P

Offline Calchexxis

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2011, 08:11:31 PM »
Btw, what's with the 'special power' thing?

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2011, 03:09:40 AM »
You mean, why did I decide to give characters special powers? Or is there something else you're referring to?
If it's the former, it's so I have something to give you guys in between levels rather than level you up faster. Helps moderate the pace of the story while still giving you guys something new to play with.

Offline Calchexxis

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2011, 03:16:49 PM »
Does my character have a special power?

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2011, 05:07:42 PM »
I gave him him one at the same time I gave everyone else theirs:
Cal's mind-lock with the Kobold causes him to psionically steal one of the wyrmpriest's powers; He now has an additional encounter utility power called Incite Faith, usable as a minor action close burst 10, wherein his allies in the area gain 5 THP and may shift 1 square.

I felt that power would help boost your character's ability to protect his party, complementing the Blades of Astral Fire and The Light Within powers he's got. It's like giving everyone in the party an extra 5 hp, or temporary DR 5. Everyone's power right now is supposed to be roughly equal to a feat. Most people's powers are balanced against the Skill Power feat, which grants a utility power in exchange for a feat; Amnon's is equal to taking a Channel Divinity feat, which is fairly similar, and Gerand's just lets him use his Int for melee basic attacks, which he only really uses on Opportunity Attacks, so it, too, is fairly situational. Golkonda's ability is equivalent to the Arcane Familiar feat, which grants a couple minor benefits but is largely useful as a roleplaying device. This also gives me a chance to grant certain feats that might be interesting to players, but which they would normally skip since other feats are more useful or attractive.

Over time, everyone's bonus powers will improve, or you'll gain new abilities to complement them. For instance, Cal might gain a power that hurts or hinders an enemy, draining their resolve to bolster an ally and restore hp or grant a saving throw or something. Or if he tends to choose summon powers, he might gain an ability to extend the summon or sustain it without using extra actions. Or, I might continue the fluff of psionically leeching powers from enemies, granting a special ability from a monster that's normally unavailable to PCs.

Those are just examples; if you want, we can work together to custom-tailor your powers around your character. That goes for all of you.

I just want to provide something to help ease the anticipation of gaining new levels, since the pace of PbP is incredibly slow.

Offline Calchexxis

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 06:18:55 PM »
Alright, thanks, I must've missed that post about the power, I'll record it on Cal's sheet.

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2011, 07:52:34 PM »
Do you guys need me to advance things? I figured this would be a good excuse for the characters to interact and move on by themselves where they want to go. I'm dedicated to not railroading you guys, even if there are some clear objectives.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2011, 08:48:58 PM »
I'm not sure what else to say that isn't abrasive against a fellow party member.   :p

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2011, 09:03:36 PM »
Well, for instance, you guys still haven't been introduced to archangel's character (speaking of which, haven't heard from him lately, he must be pretty busy. Anyone seen him?).

You also haven't really discussed what you're doing there or anything else. Now, if you want to keep them in the dark, that's fine, but I'd appreciate a little indication on where you guys might want to move on to. You're all pretty beat up, though there's still the dragon burial site you told Eilian you'd check out. I'm still not very experienced with PbP DMing, so I don't really know the cues on when to just move things along.

If you want, maybe just a general, rough vote on what you guys want to do now?

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
  • The devil so nice, they damned him thrice.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2011, 09:33:00 PM »
Oh, Arc isn't getting on very much at all from what I've been hearing. So we probably wont hear from him too much.

Haha, to be honest, I'd totally forgotten about the dragon burial ground! Gotta reread the past thread and figure out all the details...
I'm here and ready to keep confusing the hell out of everyone I meet.

Offline VennDygrem

• Honorary Mod
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2011, 10:06:26 PM »
Frankly, I'm least experienced with having a group of players where there is not a single loot-hound. No one's even bothered to open the chest to find out what's inside!

Not that I've figured out what it should be yet. 4E's notions of treasure parcels are kind of terrible. I hate giving out something that's good for one person, but not having anything to give everyone else. I'm more partial toward giving out gold to buy certain things or gifting via NPCs.