Author Topic: The OOC thread  (Read 169214 times)

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
Re: The OOC thread
« Reply #40 on: March 06, 2013, 10:32:53 PM »
How do consumable magic items that mimic spells (IE wands, scrolls, potions, etc) interact with the curse mechanic?

For that matter, how about spells themselves? Are spells cursed in the way that magic items are? If they aren't, maybe consumable items shouldn't be either?

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 06, 2013, 10:41:20 PM »
Pretty sure the info thread says magic itself is cursed.

Offline Nanshork

• Homebrew Reviewer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 06, 2013, 10:42:40 PM »
I envision it kinda like Pokémon, except YOU are the pokéball.

But isn't it perfect for the setting?

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 06, 2013, 10:56:41 PM »
Any thoughts on my suggested cursed item?
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.  Even if you win, you're still retarded.

shugenja handbook; talk about it here

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 06, 2013, 11:31:39 PM »
Pretty sure the info thread says magic itself is cursed.

It does, but it also says that magic items are the primary way this will manifest in the game because they're permenant magical effects, so they're more likely to go wonky and screw people over.

EDIT: Actually it doesn't say this. Kuro said it in the recruitment thread but it's not in the setting thread.

Which is why we're all coming up with curses for our items but, thus far at least, InnaBinder's caster isn't being asked to create curses for his spells(or SirP's powerbard for his powerchords).

I'm wondering about magic items which aren't permanent and which duplicate spell effects.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 11:35:53 PM by Concerned Ninja Citizen »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2013, 05:11:43 AM »
Hm. What's the curse on a +2 cloak again? +4 would probably be the same thing but... worse. Or something. XD

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2013, 05:16:17 AM »
The one posted on the recruitment thread was for a Cloak of Resistance/Charisma (that is, a cloak with both effects on it.)

As I recall it was "will save DC 20 when you go into combat or the scariest thing in the combat will try to hit you with its scariest attack for at least one round"

If you wanted to scale that up you could go with "save or everything tries to hit you for a round." Not sure if that has too much potential to be a beneficial effect if you build a tank.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2013, 05:22:17 AM »
Given my HP? I'm not really sure.

Though the thought of a melee combatant nowhere within reach's trying to stab me is hilarious.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Honorary Mod
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2013, 06:44:17 AM »
I envision it kinda like Pokémon, except YOU are the pokéball.

But isn't it perfect for the setting?

I wouldn't say perfect, but it fits VERY well, that is for sure.

How do consumable magic items that mimic spells (IE wands, scrolls, potions, etc) interact with the curse mechanic?

For that matter, how about spells themselves? Are spells cursed in the way that magic items are? If they aren't, maybe consumable items shouldn't be either?

Fallout from constant use of spells will produce effects that are typically not mechanical in nature, dependant on the nature of the spells themselves.

In other words, "ARE YOU HIGH?! I can't figure out a different curse for each and every goddamn spell in D&D!!"

Any thoughts on my suggested cursed item?

If I didn't reply to it, I must have missed it.

Remember guys, every time you have a question like this, it's best to re-post what you asked about.  :P

Hm. What's the curse on a +2 cloak again? +4 would probably be the same thing but... worse. Or something. XD

That was made for an item with both resistance and a charisma enhancement on it.

Give me a little time to figure out a curse for it. Or suggest your own.  :p
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2013, 08:39:03 AM »
Submitted for your approval:
For my cursed item, I was thinking about a Summoner's Totem (MiC 187) that caused the targeted summoned creature to be affected by a Confusion spell if the target of its initial attack dies from that attack.
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics.  Even if you win, you're still retarded.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2013, 08:49:59 AM »
For my cursed item, I was thinking about a Summoner's Totem (MiC 187) that caused the targeted summoned creature to be affected by a Confusion spell if the target of its initial attack dies from that attack.

Hmmm. Interesting curse, trigger, not so much... Considering how summons have multiple uses, utility, BFC, out-of-combat healing, etc., we should have a trigger that applies to more situations.

Especially because that's a trigger that's easy to go around.

How about this instead:

Whenever a summoned creature is killed or banished, it has a 20% chance of regaining half its hit points and acting as if confused for ten minutes. If its actions are determined as "attacking the nearest target" it seeks to attack its summoner instead. In order to dismiss it, the summoner must make a CL check with a DC equal to 10 + spell level + 4 as a standard action.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 07, 2013, 10:48:39 AM »
Hm. If I rearrange feats... hey, does Iron Heart Surge still work on the sun? :D

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 07, 2013, 11:00:47 AM »
Two more questions:
To re-ask this, is Lesser Unseelie Fey okay?
What is your stance on purchasing the benefits of magical locations? Specifically, the obvious Iron Will from the Hole.

Currently, my thoughts for my feats is to have Deceivingly Innocent Form, Iron Will, and Great Fortitude. If I can buy the hole, though, I'd replace IW with Lightning Reflexes.
Also, for my continued advancement, I'm planning on going into Paragon, if that checks out with you.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 11:18:03 AM by ariasderros »
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 07, 2013, 11:04:21 AM »
And here was I, thinking the various unseelie stuff was generally unpleasant to behold. Like the headless horseman.  :eh

Offline InnaBinder

• Legendary Member
  • Onna table
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2013, 11:05:58 AM »

Hmmm. Interesting curse, trigger, not so much... Considering how summons have multiple uses, utility, BFC, out-of-combat healing, etc., we should have a trigger that applies to more situations.

Especially because that's a trigger that's easy to go around.

How about this instead:

Whenever a summoned creature is killed or banished, it has a 20% chance of regaining half its hit points and acting as if confused for ten minutes. If its actions are determined as "attacking the nearest target" it seeks to attack its summoner instead. In order to dismiss it, the summoner must make a CL check with a DC equal to 10 + spell level + 4 as a standard action.
So long as you're not including "dismissed" or the spell's expiration as triggering conditions, I can live with it.

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2013, 11:24:40 AM »
And here was I, thinking the various unseelie stuff was generally unpleasant to behold. Like the headless horseman.  :eh

Bear in mind, I look how I want. In general though, I'll look like the pic below:
(click to show/hide)

I'm thinking the Yellow Scarf material should be the 'stuck' part from the curse.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Kuroimaken

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2013, 11:56:51 AM »
Two more questions:
To re-ask this, is Lesser Unseelie Fey okay?
What is your stance on purchasing the benefits of magical locations? Specifically, the obvious Iron Will from the Hole.

Currently, my thoughts for my feats is to have Deceivingly Innocent Form, Iron Will, and Great Fortitude. If I can buy the hole, though, I'd replace IW with Lightning Reflexes.
Also, for my continued advancement, I'm planning on going into Paragon, if that checks out with you.

Lesser unseelie fey is okay.

You can buy the effects of magical locations, but each one will come with a small fluff-based setback. The Hole gives you nightmares, for example, which often drench you in a cold sweat at night, but nothing that screws your character too badly.

Paragon... I'm a bit iffy about. If you're planning to "advance" into it I take it you won't be taking any levels yet, right? Mind if we cross that bridge when we get to it?

Give me internets. Now.

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 07, 2013, 12:41:01 PM »
Paragon... I'm a bit iffy about. If you're planning to "advance" into it I take it you won't be taking any levels yet, right? Mind if we cross that bridge when we get to it?

Seeing as how the reason I haven't taken any flaws is because Paragon precludes them, actually, yeah. But I can make it easier on you. Give me some time (day or two) and I'll write up a level-by-level of what it would give me.
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Kuroimaken

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 07, 2013, 12:44:13 PM »
That's stupid, I'm eliminating that bit. The BEST paragons have some kind of flaw. Seriously.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #59 on: March 07, 2013, 03:59:35 PM »
Added background, just some 3500ish GP left to spend. Maybe an anklet of translocation and cloak of resistance?

That's stupid, I'm eliminating that bit. The BEST paragons have some kind of flaw. Seriously.

(click to show/hide)
If a paragon can't claim to be flawless, then who can? :p

Besides, it's also a balancing mechanism. The Paragon prc is slightly stronger than usual in return for you having two less feats than usual.