Author Topic: The OOC thread  (Read 169207 times)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: The OOC thread
« Reply #60 on: March 07, 2013, 04:03:14 PM »
How much do you think an empty wooden box with some dirt in it would weigh?

The only 'flaw' I would expect of a paragon is somewhat obsessive devotion.

... I am not seeing a loss of two feats (as well as not having the penalties that go with them) as much of a punishment for full BAB, three good saves, 12 HD, fast healing that ends up equal to HD, DR, energy resistance, SR, SLA's, maximised HD, +14 to two ability scores, +10 to another one, +6 to another, and +2 to the remaining ones.  That's before getting into the ability to buff rolls... and finally an automatic 11 on any check. And then there's the excellencies...

Oh, and tripled movement speeds.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 04:17:26 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline Kuroimaken

• Honorary Mod
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 07, 2013, 04:28:02 PM »
Added background, just some 3500ish GP left to spend. Maybe an anklet of translocation and cloak of resistance?

That's stupid, I'm eliminating that bit. The BEST paragons have some kind of flaw. Seriously.

(click to show/hide)
If a paragon can't claim to be flawless, then who can? :p

Besides, it's also a balancing mechanism. The Paragon prc is slightly stronger than usual in return for you having two less feats than usual.

You know what I mean - paragons as in characters. Superman, for example.

Either way, I don't think any such creature could ever exist in this particular setting. It'd be eaten alive.

How much do you think an empty wooden box with some dirt in it would weigh?

Depends on how much dirt, really. The wooden box itself isn't TOO heavy, assuming a relatively simple casket...

I've been a pallbearer before, and let me tell you, there's a REASON you get at least four people logging that thing around.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 04:33:07 PM by Kuroimaken »
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2013, 04:35:03 PM »
Well, it only needs to be a layer of dirt, so... probably not that much dirt, really.

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2013, 04:40:19 PM »
According to the US NIST, the average density of dirt is 120 lbs per cubic foot.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 04:42:08 PM by Jackinthegreen »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2013, 04:41:55 PM »
... 120lbs? What sort of dirt do they have in the USA?

Offline Jackinthegreen

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • I like green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2013, 04:44:19 PM »
And of course looking at other answers shows such results as http://answers.ask.com/Reference/Other/how_much_does_a_cubic_yard_of_dirt_weight or http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_does_a_cubic_foot_of_soil_weigh it's between 75 and 100 pounds per cubic foot.  Yeah, I wonder what dirt they were measuring too.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2013, 04:46:04 PM »
It actually sounds about right; dirt can be VERY heavy. Ever have to lug around a bag of mulch? Ten kg worth of mulch is a bag about as big as a reasonably large human torso.

Hmm. I'm tempted to say the whole thing weighs about... 100 pounds, without Elizabeth actually being in it.

Give me internets. Now.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2013, 04:46:35 PM »
Added background, just some 3500ish GP left to spend. Maybe an anklet of translocation and cloak of resistance?

That's stupid, I'm eliminating that bit. The BEST paragons have some kind of flaw. Seriously.

(click to show/hide)
If a paragon can't claim to be flawless, then who can? :p

Besides, it's also a balancing mechanism. The Paragon prc is slightly stronger than usual in return for you having two less feats than usual.

You know what I mean - paragons as in characters. Superman, for example.
Superman? He's a dick.

... I am not seeing a loss of two feats (as well as not having the penalties that go with them) as much of a punishment for full BAB, three good saves, 12 HD, fast healing that ends up equal to HD, DR, energy resistance, SR, SLA's, maximised HD, +14 to two ability scores, +10 to another one, +6 to another, and +2 to the remaining ones.  That's before getting into the ability to buff rolls... and finally an automatic 11 on any check. And then there's the excellencies...

Oh, and tripled movement speeds.

Well, it is a 15 level long prc. :P

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2013, 04:52:04 PM »
Dirt has never seemed that heavy to me, just supremely awkward.

I am staring at that class in horror, now.

If you really felt like it, it's trivial to have a sorcerer with 7 9th level spells. Wearing full plate. And with about 40 touch AC. Before they even cast anything or start messing with enchanted gear. Also, melee capabilities only slightly behind dedicated fighters, again before casting anything. What.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2013, 04:54:13 PM »
To be fair, fighters ARE very bad at the one thing they're supposed to do, compared to any of a number of builds...

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 07, 2013, 04:55:32 PM »
I somehow don't think that a dedicated spellcaster is supposed to be their equal before actually casting anything, though.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #71 on: March 07, 2013, 05:11:04 PM »
If the sorceror took all 15 levels of Paragon, it means it did not take 15 levels worth of actual spellcasting prcs.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 07, 2013, 05:13:36 PM »
They can still cast as a 19th level sorcerer with more spells, though.

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2013, 05:17:43 PM »
They also spent all their excellences on boosting their casting so they don't have as much actual Paragon as a Paragon who didn't do that.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2013, 05:22:09 PM »
I refer back to the post at the top of the page.

Paragon abilities vs a selection of 60-something spontaneously cast spells, still with all the bonuses that aren't Excellencies. Err...

Offline Kuroimaken

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2013, 05:25:03 PM »
Whatever the case, can you get me a level-by-level progression before I make a final decision on this?

Give me internets. Now.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2013, 05:40:12 PM »
I would have to agree with RD on this, that a Paragon caster is ahead of a straight 20-level progression for a caster. Then again, that's vs. a straight Wizard or Sorcerer 20, and the Paragon certainly boosts a lot of abilities, but not all of them are things that a true spellcaster needs. What does a mage care if they have triple move speed when they're likely to just teleport anyway? There are better prestige classes for a lot of caster archetypes, so while Paragon is a better bet for a generalist, it's not as useful for something more specific. For instance, how does Paragon make you a better summoner, or a better Necromancer, besides boosting your save DC's for spells in general?

In short, it's good, really good even, but not the be-all-and-end-all choice. Not even for non-casters.

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 08, 2013, 09:51:57 AM »
Whatever the case, can you get me a level-by-level progression before I make a final decision on this?

Yes, I had planned on doing that today, and it'll be so.

A couple of hours or so.

Also, Raineh, what class are you reading?
Let's look at the sorcerer who takes it. He's level 5. @ 6 he takes 'caster', and has 7th casting. oh no, he's a kobold. 7th he's @ 7th still. 8th, he takes 'caster' again, putting him @ 9. oh no, he's a kobold. 9th level, he's @ 9th casting still. then, at 10th level, he can't take caster anymore, because it can only be taken twice, thus he's still at 9th casting. @ 11th level, he can't take 'caster' , but he's looking at 'mage', but that has a pre-req of another Excellence. So he takes the pre-req. 11th level, 9th casting, still. 13th level (8th in the class), he takes 'mage', 11th level casting. 14th level, 11th level casting. 15th level, takes 'mage' again to have 13th level casting. 16th level (11th in the class), he takes 'Magia', 15th level casting. 17th, 15th. 18th, 'magia', 17th. 19th, 17th. And, finally, at level 20, you can take 'magia' again for 19th level casting.

So... most of the time you're behind by 1-2 levels. Never are you a 7th level sorcerer with 9th level spells.  What you give up from your casting may or may not be worth it, depending on how good you are at using your casting. But as Osle said, actual spellcasting PrC's are much better for casting, since their class features are, you know, meant for casting.

Now, really, where the heck did you get your numbers?
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2013, 12:02:43 PM »
First Five Levels.

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 12:05:35 PM by ariasderros »
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2013, 12:23:57 PM »
Now, really, where the heck did you get your numbers?

I was looking at the end result, not the various steps. I think you misunderstood me: in the end, you're a sorcerer that can have 7 9th level spells. I want to know where you got the 'level 7 sorcerer with 9th level spells' part from, myself.

And yes, it's not the best for pure casting, but that wasn't what bothered me.

I must admit that, thematically, I can't stand the class in the slightest, though. Utterly flawless, good at everything, can do amazing things that others can't because they're just that awesome? Now, what does that sound like?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2013, 12:37:07 PM by Raineh Daze »