Author Topic: [CWoD/oWoD]Stat & Dice caps?  (Read 1856 times)

Offline ariasderros

• Epic Member
  • PM me what you're giving Kudos for please.
    • View Profile
[CWoD/oWoD]Stat & Dice caps?
« on: April 10, 2013, 12:37:57 PM »
Once upon a time I remember having found rules in an oWoD book about a dice pool capping at 20.
I have always assumed that attributes and abilities cap at 10 (the highest an Antediluvian Vampire can have those scores at).

I cannot find any rules for this anymore, however.
The closest I can find is in Vampire, that no kindred can blood buff a physical stat higher than 10.

Now, let me give an example of this, in-play.

Game: Werewolf. Character: Lupus; Get of Fenris; Ahroun; Legendary Strength Merit. Enemy: Nexus Crawler.

So here's what happens:
The Fenrir has 6 strength, enters Crinos (wolf-man) form, which gives +4 Strength. Strength = 10. Uses the Gift Strength of Thor, which doubles your Strength. This might be useless, if there is a cap @ 10, or it could give you Strength 20.
Lets say you have 20 strength from that, then use a claw attack. Claws deal Strength +2 damage.
This would mean that so long as you hit, you would have a die pool of 22+. Unless there is a cap on your die pool limiting that to 20.

So are there these caps? Where are they printed? Is there anywhere that any of this is even implied?
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 02:03:48 PM by ariasderros »
My new Sig
Hi, Welcome

Offline Dictum Mortuum

• View Profile
Re: [CWoD/oWoD]Stat & Dice caps?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2013, 09:25:33 AM »
I've played a fair share of whitewolf games and I must admit that I haven't encountered anything like this. Maybe it's a soft cap? i.e. barring exceptional circumstances most people won't get higher than 20 dice, because that's the maximum you can get on attribute + ability.
Dictum Mortuum's Handbooks: My personal character optimization blog.