Author Topic: The Blah Blah Blah Inn (OOC)  (Read 159360 times)

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
Re: The Blah Blah Blah Inn (OOC)
« Reply #40 on: May 28, 2013, 12:39:03 PM »
This is how I imagine Korgan: http://skullkickers.keenspot.com/

Plus: Skyrim reference FTW.

:lol

This is the most role playing we've done as a group.  It's funny that it's done over the forums instead of in person.
Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 28, 2013, 01:51:12 PM »
Let me know what you would like to do for the hour before the caravan leaves.  I can push on to the next scene if you're ready.

Also: I am awarding "XP" for each scene we pass.  In this system, instead of points you get level-equivalent encounter points.  In 3.5 terms you get one point for each EL you beat, so if you defeat a CR 1 monster you get one point, two points for a CR 2, etc.  Side quests award XP, loot, or other rewards (such as getting the Halflings to go into the swamp with you).  When you get encounter points equal to your level x10, you gain a level.

Later on, there will be challenge encounters.  They act just like any other encounter, but if you accept a certain handicap during the fight, you will get bonus XP and loot as a reward.  Some will be simple, others very hard.  I will be careful to clearly outline the handicap before the encounter starts.

SPOILER ALERT!
(click to show/hide)
The next thing I say to you will be true.
The last thing I said was false.

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 28, 2013, 02:38:40 PM »
I'm ready to go on anytime.  Couple questions:

Are you going to keep track of our accrued XP or will we?

Do we accept the handicap as a group or as individuals?
Myrielle: "I think you're worth the trouble, even if the others don't."

You know life sucks when you get a back-handed compliment from a seven year old.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 28, 2013, 02:45:28 PM »
I'm ready to go on anytime.  Couple questions:

Are you going to keep track of our accrued XP or will we? I will keep track.  All XP awarded will apply to the group, so personal/side quests will benefit everyone.  The group will have 2/10 needed to get to level 2 once the caravan departs.

Do we accept the handicap as a group or as individuals? Handicaps will be for the group, since XP is awarded by group.  The challenge itself will be pass/fail, but your actions will not be restricted.  When the first challenge comes up it should be more clear to you.

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 28, 2013, 07:30:23 PM »
This is how I imagine Korgan: http://skullkickers.keenspot.com/

Plus: Skyrim reference FTW.

This is the most role playing we've done as a group.  It's funny that it's done over the forums instead of in person.

Yes, it's much easier to e-thug in a forum than in person. Or in my case, e-douchebaggery.

Here is one of urban dictionary's definitions for douchbaggery:    
Presenting one's self in a manner that inspires those around you to wish death and/or serious injury upon you.

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2013, 07:38:35 PM »

Yes, it's much easier to e-thug in a forum than in person. Or in my case, e-douchebaggery.

Presenting one's self in a manner that inspires those around you to wish death and/or serious injury upon you.

Not sure if I would call it that even though it's a great description.  I think of it more like suicidal tendencies.  You know that I've intentionally killed one PC in my gaming career.  You're doing a great job on increasing that count to two  :clap

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2013, 10:19:48 PM »

Not sure if I would call it that even though it's a great description.  I think of it more like suicidal tendencies.  You know that I've intentionally killed one PC in my gaming career.  You're doing a great job on increasing that count to two  :clap

....well someone's gotta do it.    :o

You know life sucks when you get a back-handed compliment from a seven year old.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 29, 2013, 10:34:04 PM »

Hey! Killing player characters it's my job!

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 29, 2013, 11:44:37 PM »

Hey! Killing player characters it's my job!

Ha, so you admit to trying to kill us!  :pout

Dixon killing Jim's character was probably one of the most intense and fun gaming experiences I've been a part of. Just trying to bring that back... You said you don't have anything against paladins, but wasn't Jim also a paladin-type super holy character?

I don't think Nelio has committed any killable offenses yet, it's all just been snide remarks and general annoyance. I think he has just as much reason to challenge Korgan for all the verbal slaps to the his face.

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2013, 12:53:49 AM »

Dixon killing Jim's character was probably one of the most intense and fun gaming experiences I've been a part of. Just trying to bring that back... You said you don't have anything against paladins, but wasn't Jim also a paladin-type super holy character?

I don't think Nelio has committed any killable offenses yet, it's all just been snide remarks and general annoyance. I think he has just as much reason to challenge Korgan for all the verbal slaps to the his face.

No, Jim played the I'm so Lawful Good Cleric, I'm going to ALWAYS tell the truth - even to strangers...  I had no problem killing him since my elf rogue was evil  :cool

You're correct, Nelio has not committed any killable offenses but yet at the same time Korgan does hate paladins.  I devised a whole back story before I saw your character.  I should change it since it's not fair to you or the game.  I came VERY close to chopping your head off.  This has been very enjoyable so far so I don't want to ruin it by being stupid.

As a side note, this forum needs an Android app.  It would make my life easier  :)

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2013, 09:19:55 AM »

No, Jim played the I'm so Lawful Good Cleric, I'm going to ALWAYS tell the truth - even to strangers...  I had no problem killing him since my elf rogue was evil  :cool

You're correct, Nelio has not committed any killable offenses but yet at the same time Korgan does hate paladins.  I devised a whole back story before I saw your character.  I should change it since it's not fair to you or the game.  I came VERY close to chopping your head off.  This has been very enjoyable so far so I don't want to ruin it by being stupid.

As a side note, this forum needs an Android app.  It would make my life easier  :)

It's up to you. I guess I was unlucky to roll up a paladin. Even if Nelio wasn't such a pain in the ass to be around, you would still despise him. There's no guarantee you would win a fight against him anyway, unless you plot to kill him in his sleep. You should recruit Justin to this game so he can stand watch like last time. Maybe a good beat down is all Korgan needs to change his mind.  :P

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2013, 02:00:24 PM »
Andy, regarding spells - Would it help, since the system is new, to make sure to include all the parameters such as [target], [duration], [range], and the MP cost whenever we cast so you know what level spell it is? Do you want spells in the description, or a spoiler, or should we use a special tag like this or this?

Also, how do we recover normal MP? what's the rate?

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2013, 02:15:27 PM »
Andy, regarding spells - Would it help, since the system is new, to make sure to include all the parameters such as [target], [duration], [range], and the MP cost whenever we cast so you know what level spell it is? Do you want spells in the description, or a spoiler, or should we use a special tag like this or this?

Also, how do we recover normal MP? what's the rate?
I like using spoilers for things like actions since it keeps the "rules clutter" off the boards and allows readers to follow the story easier.

It would be helpful for me to see spell parameters for two reasons: 1) the system is new to me as well, and while I like it a lot there is a bit of a learning curve, and 2) it is helpful for me to see your thought process in how it works.  Here is an example of how you could do it:

(click to show/hide)

Do you like that way?  I'm willing to hear other ideas.

Note: In case you weren't confused enough, new parameters will be available through research/prayer later in the game.  Consider the current list a default set of options.

All MP are restored after 6 hours of rest.

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 31, 2013, 01:14:44 AM »
Looks like I'm going to pick a fight with a bear.  Should I roll initiative?  Or do I get or surprise round?   :???

BTW, save some of those Dylan dice for when we really need them.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 31, 2013, 03:22:46 AM »
Looks like I'm going to pick a fight with a bear.  Should I roll initiative?  Or do I get or surprise round?   :???

BTW, save some of those Dylan dice for when we really need them.
The bear is unaware of you.  You get a surprise round should you choose to take it.

Offline Kazgaroth

• Finger of Death
    • View Profile
MicroLite skills
« Reply #55 on: June 07, 2013, 12:33:09 PM »
There aren't any definitive skills anymore, correct?  In theory, I should be able to attempt any skill roll.  Is this correct?

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
Re: MicroLite skills
« Reply #56 on: June 07, 2013, 12:45:37 PM »
There aren't any definitive skills anymore, correct?  In theory, I should be able to attempt any skill roll.  Is this correct?
Correct.

Offline NasT

• I'm new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 12, 2013, 12:32:18 AM »
Andy,
Should I re-roll the tracking check? If yes, go ahead and do it for me to save a little time.  +6 modifier

Offline crazy_sherm

• Immaculate Evacuation
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 12, 2013, 03:05:35 PM »
I have a question regarding magic. In the Microlite rules, it says to use the SRD for available spells, but the SRD doesn't split spells into divine and arcane. I know conventionally, we think of druid/cleric spells as divine and wizard/sorcerer as arcane, but there is a bit of overlap. Which spell lists are we supposed to be using? Do we use the one corresponding to our class? There are no 0-level Paladin spells, does that mean I just cast downgraded versions of the 1st level spells right now? Or can I draw on the 0-level cleric spells? I had wanted to cast light, but noticed evocation is arcane only.

Also, can you start a sticky thread and post the Microlite rules to it? Sometimes I want to look up something in the rules but I don't have it handy.

Offline Gnomeo

• Honorary Mod
  • Gnomercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 12, 2013, 03:27:50 PM »
I thought I had removed the reference to the SRD from the sheet I sent out.  There are many different versions of MicroLight20, and the one we're using for spells is very different from the standard (which uses the SRD for spells).  Everyone uses the new system for spells, in which you choose the parameters for the desired spell effect and compare it to the spell level you are capable of casting.  Spells in this new system are either Arcane or Divine by class, and the spell school determines if the spell effect is available to either Arcane or Divine spellcasters.

You are correct that the Evocation school is Arcane only, but the more I think about it Light could be an illusion as well.  So I think I'll add a Touch parameter in the Illusion school next to Personal so that you can cast a 0-level Light spell (Touch-10min/lvl-Sight-If Focused) as either an Arcane or Divine caster (makes sense since Light is available to all in 3.5).

I'll make a thread listing the rules, I just have to get around to formatting it for the forums.