Author Topic: [D&D 3.5 + Homebrew] The Eye of the Sun  (Read 20148 times)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
Re: [D&D 3.5 + Homebrew] The Eye of the Sun
« Reply #80 on: July 11, 2017, 03:46:18 PM »
To be fair, Cade is running around with a nice, big 2d8 axe called a treebreaker, and adding elemental damage on top of that.  :lmao

Ahem, 3d4 :P

My monk, at 3rd level, has 1d6 unarmed strikes and maybe some minor bonus damage from SirP, or some fire damage if I go with that one Precision Strike. That said, the monk also has a (limited) range option, can fall slowly and move through limiting terrain more easily, can attack two adjacent enemies, and a few other nice goodies. He definitely doesn't hit as hard as Cade does, and he's not as tough despite his good AC.

It's a mixed bag, and you really can't compare apples and oranges. I'm happy with the monk, and I definitely look forward to putting it through its paces.

Think it's time to give you lot a character sheet thread?

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 11, 2017, 03:51:37 PM »
To be fair, Cade is running around with a nice, big 2d8 axe called a treebreaker, and adding elemental damage on top of that.  :lmao

I do recall the stats being changed, but I was going off the character sheet thread which hasn't updated yet. But, originally it was 2d8.

And yes, let's get a subforum going!

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 11, 2017, 03:52:29 PM »

I do recall the stats being changed, but I was going off the character sheet thread which hasn't updated yet. But, originally it was 2d8.

It was. It got lightly nerfed as a result of you using it. :P

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 11, 2017, 05:24:19 PM »
Although, while I understand why it was nerfed, I have to say that if I were not playing a Savage who got proficiency with it for free, I'd likely never spend a feat on the Ancient Weapons proficiency to use it. It doesn't really offer enough incentive to pick that vs. a greataxe or greatsword, especially given how precious feats can be. Since Cade gets it for free and it fits the character nicely, there's little reason not to take it.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 11, 2017, 10:22:29 PM »
Although, while I understand why it was nerfed, I have to say that if I were not playing a Savage who got proficiency with it for free, I'd likely never spend a feat on the Ancient Weapons proficiency to use it. It doesn't really offer enough incentive to pick that vs. a greataxe or greatsword, especially given how precious feats can be. Since Cade gets it for free and it fits the character nicely, there's little reason not to take it.

Never was intended that anyone spend a feat on it. Pre-Arhosa, those weapons were written for the Historian, who was automatically proficient. Inside Arhosa, they're considered Martial weapons like any other, and so all the melee classes get them for free. The issue became that since they were free to use for any big-hitter, why wouldn't you?

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 11, 2017, 10:30:03 PM »
Venn, I don't know if you noticed, but aside from the lack of proficiency, the monk rewrite doesn't actually lose out on anything by using a shield. If you use a masterwork light shield/buckler or a mithral heavy shield, the ACP of 0 means no nonproficiency penalty. The same is also true for light armor, except that the class's armor bonus will probably be larger than any ACP 0 armor you can find (still good for armor special abilities once magic ones become available).

I'm trying to figure out which numen to take. It's a 30-foot radius aura, and there are a number of good choices. Any requests?
  • Blustering Gale: Reduce falls by 60 ft.. Gain +10-ft. +10/4 levels enhancement to base land speed.
  • Brilliant Dawn: Darkvision 60 ft.. +1 +1/5 levels sacred to attack rolls.
  • Crushing Stone: +4 Balance, +4 resist bull rush. Gain DR 2/- +2/5 levels.
  • Deteriorating Corrosion: Deal double damage to objects. +1 +1/5 levels Fort saves.
  • Devouring Shadow: Deathwatch. Gain 5 +1/4 levels temp hp when dealing damage.
  • Glimmering Moon: Immune to confusion and insanity. +1 +1/5 levels Will saves.
  • Natural Balance: Wild empathy. Fast healing 1 +1/5 levels (house rule: up to 50% max hp).
  • Perfect Freeze: No Balance checks for icy surfaces. Attacker takes 2 +2/5 levels cold on hit.
  • Roaring Tide: Gain swim speed equal to land speed, water breathing. 25% +10%/5 levels fortification.
  • Searing Flame: +4 Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate. +2 +2/5 levels fire damage to attacks.
  • Shocking Current: +4 Escape Artist, Jump, Tumble. +1 +1/5 levels Ref saves.
  • Unseen Impetus: Ghost touch. +1 +1/5 levels deflection to AC.
  • Astral Essence: Ignore concealment less than total concealment. +2 +1/5 levels on checks vs. SR.
  • Eternal Moment: Uncanny dodge. +1 +1/5 levels initiative.
  • Screeching Roc: +5 Listen, immune to magical deafening. Attacker takes 2 +2/5 levels sonic on miss.
  • Fleeting Image: +5 Hide, Move Silently, Sleight of Hand. +1 +1/5 levels dodge to AC.
Note that I can do out of combat healing with one of my formulae (it'll just take a few minutes downtime), so Natural Balance's numen isn't required for the party healer role.

Offline VennDygrem

• Epic Member
  • Exceptionally Average
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 11, 2017, 10:49:23 PM »
I was actually in the process of deleting that last comment I made before I got ninja'd. Oh well! The replacement follows:

I'm thinking I might take Hands Afire after all, to help boost damage where I can, or if I need to set something on fire... >_>  <_<

So that would make: Circle Kick (attack/hit two adjacent foes), Deadly Reach (attack at 20' reach), Hand Afire (+1d6 fire damage on hit), and Leg Sweep or Scorpion Claw (Free Trip or Grapple attempt on hit). Alternatively, I considered Three Sided Strike (treat enemy as being flanked) in case I need a bit more chance of hitting...

Any thoughts?

I'm also left with one free feat, so that's a consideration right now as well. Weapon Finesse + Combat Martial Arts are both required, but the third feat from being Human isn't yet spoken-for.

Garryl: Thanks for pointing that out. I may pick up a light shield or buckler, then.
What I typically do for armor special abilities on armorless characters is use Gnome Twist cloth. The ACP of 0 similarly doesn't impact non-proficient classes, and the +1 armor bonus either helps someone without armor a tiny bit or is cancelled out by a better armor bonus; but you still get to benefit from any armor special abilities. There may be better options but it works pretty well for me.

As for the Numens, Brilliant Dawn is useful if most of the party has no way to see in the dark aside from lighting torches/campfires, and the bonus to attacks is useful. Unseen Impetus can help with AC and granting a weapon ability we'd otherwise have to buy. Eternal Moment is a fun circle anyway, plus bonus to initiative is always appreciated.

Any of them would be useful to some extent or another, though I think those are the top 3 for me.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 12, 2017, 06:37:07 AM »
Our new home. I'm going to assume at this point you guys know what to do with the various threads ;)

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 12, 2017, 07:48:19 AM »
Our new home. I'm going to assume at this point you guys know what to do with the various threads ;)

Consume them with our ever-expanding maw of vast cosmic hunger, which lies unknowable beyond the walls of time, and widens its jaws by lightyears at each tick of the Apocalypse Clock?
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 12, 2017, 07:52:47 AM »

Consume them with our ever-expanding maw of vast cosmic hunger, which lies unknowable beyond the walls of time, and widens its jaws by lightyears at each tick of the Apocalypse Clock?

You have been reading far too much epic fantasy.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: July 12, 2017, 07:56:09 AM »

You have been reading far too much epic fantasy.
THERE'S NO SUCH THING GOD DAMMIT

Seriously, though, the Broken Earth trilogy by N.K. Jemisin is amazing. (Has nothing to do with my previous post, just wanted to say.)

Offline Stratovarius

• Forum Host
  • Administrator
  • Arhosan Emperor
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 12, 2017, 07:56:59 AM »
Starts with Hundred Thousand Kingdoms? Thought the first book was brilliant, the next two only okay.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 12, 2017, 08:02:05 AM »
Starts with Hundred Thousand Kingdoms? Thought the first book was brilliant, the next two only okay.
No, that's her Inheritance trilogy. Broken Earth starts with The Fifth Season, of which I'm currently on my 3rd read-through. The third book comes out next month and I'm SO EXCITED.

For what it's worth, I couldn't get into Inheritance.

Offline FireInTheSky

• Epic Member
  • "Insight is the sudden cessation of stupidity."
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 12, 2017, 08:10:31 PM »

Raveler?