Author Topic: Interest Check--2e Netheril  (Read 16506 times)

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
Re: Interest Check--2e Netheril
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2014, 08:33:48 PM »
Mystryl? Hmm... digging up her stuff...

(click to show/hide)

Mystryl as a goddess is pretty nice, too.

PORTFOLIO: Magic, spells, the weave, wizards, spellcasters, energy, creativity, knowledge, invention,
song, time, spring

Mystryl was flirtatious and profound, flighty and persistent,
light-hearted and deadly serious. Her moods and state-of-mind
varied from moment to moment, but she generally tried to do
what she thought was right. She seemed too trusting and innocent at times, and tended to overreact when she felt she had
been tricked. She distrusted but didn’t hate Shar, who had
sought to seize control over her for centuries, and she also
rebelled occasionally against the good-intentioned suggestions
of Selune, who she regarded as smotheringly maternal at times.
Kozah and Moander, who seemed always intent on ruining that
which she created or inspired, were her mortal enemies.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 02, 2014, 10:30:30 PM »
Hmm, rather mediocre rolls. Not sure what to do with that, although you could probably make a mage work.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 02, 2014, 10:36:10 PM »
It wasn't in order, so you can rearrange if you want (reason being that if someone gets the rolls for a Paladin, I see no reason why they should be barred because they got the 17 in the WRONG score). :lmao
« Last Edit: May 02, 2014, 10:42:20 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2014, 01:36:14 AM »
It's not the order that makes it mediocre, it's the lack of anything above 14. Anything from 9 through 14 is functionally the same for most stats. For practical purposes, 6x14 is about the same as 1x14 and 5x9 (because everyone does lose a fair bit for having under 13 in their prime requisite). It's like odd-valued ability scores in 3rd edition. Plus, I'm used to playing with more generous stat generation systems than 4d6 roll once (Baldur's Gate with its infinite rerolls, point shifting, and automatic minimum rolls by class, the gold box games that let you set your stats however you wanted, 3E's point buy, etc.) so I need to adjust my expectations accordingly. It's not like it's unplayable or anything, it's just below average. On average, someone's going to be below average.

Offline skydragonknight

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2014, 06:57:29 AM »
Rolled the dice, just for fun. Nope!

Have fun in Netheril. Don't break the place. :P
Hmm.

Offline Mnemnosyne

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2014, 07:17:54 AM »
Why send a priest? Because who better to check out the quality of the items you're buying than a priest of the god of Craftsdwarfship? Good point about the spells thing though.

My other idea was a priest of Mystryl, in case that doesn't work out.
Moradin is the dwarven god of craftsmanship.

All clerics get the Trascendent Winds.  As for the others...Moradin would probably grant the Prevailing Winds, at least.  I think Buffering Winds make some sense as well, and probably also the Predictable Winds.  At least, that would be my ballpark suggestion on the matter of what winds seem most appropriate for the god.

Beyond that, the sonnlinor (specialty priests of Moradin) are pretty straightforward in Demihuman Deities and don't seem to have anything that would be problematic in Netheril.  It is, however, noted that sonnlinor are not allowed to multiclass.
(click to show/hide)
-Do you honestly think that we believe ourselves evil? My friend, we seek only good. It's just that our definitions don't quite match.-
Ailanreanter, Arcanaloth

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2014, 07:54:31 AM »
It's not the order that makes it mediocre, it's the lack of anything above 14. Anything from 9 through 14 is functionally the same for most stats. For practical purposes, 6x14 is about the same as 1x14 and 5x9 (because everyone does lose a fair bit for having under 13 in their prime requisite). It's like odd-valued ability scores in 3rd edition. Plus, I'm used to playing with more generous stat generation systems than 4d6 roll once (Baldur's Gate with its infinite rerolls, point shifting, and automatic minimum rolls by class, the gold box games that let you set your stats however you wanted, 3E's point buy, etc.) so I need to adjust my expectations accordingly. It's not like it's unplayable or anything, it's just below average. On average, someone's going to be below average.

Actually, I think you managed determinedly high-average, just not high enough in any one spot to matter.

----

Looking at the list for Predictable Winds, I'm not so sure. Most of the stuff there looks like it's space-warping. Can't see why that would fit Moradin.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 07:57:21 AM by Raineh Daze »

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2014, 03:03:50 PM »

Actually, I think you managed determinedly high-average, just not high enough in any one spot to matter.

Average total is 73.47 and I rolled 73, so not bad by that metric (just perfectly average). As I said, it's mostly like odd-valued scores in 3rd, where an extra +1 doesn't actually change anything. About 80% of the time, you'll get at least one roll of 15 or better among your six scores, though. Anydice statistics on 4d6 drop lowest 6 times.

Rolled the dice, just for fun. Nope!

Ouch.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2014, 03:23:38 PM »
Well, if nobody objects, you can reroll in the hope of getting something more lopsided, and less... average. :lmao

Though if you do, just roll 4d6 here and do maths. That way I can keep track/work out how much bad luck you're building up. :p

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2014, 04:38:41 PM »
Nah, I'm cool with it. I'd much rather try to make it work than stress out about getting some awesome stats. I'll reroll when my character dies (and no, I won't be trying to make that happen sooner than it has to).

Speaking of which, what's everyone playing? I've heard mention of a couple mages and a cleric. I'm good with whatever niche gets left unfilled.

Offline linklord231

• Epic Member
  • The dice are trying to kill me
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2014, 04:46:05 PM »
They see me rollin, they hatin

7, 10, 11, 15, 17, 17.

Not bad  :D

If I play a dwarf, I'd probably go 17 10 16 (+1 Dwarf) 11 17 6 (-1 Dwarf).  Might swap Int and Cha, have to look up whether dumping Cha is shooting myself in the foot. 
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.

Offline FlaminCows

• Push that button. Doo eeet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2014, 05:19:23 PM »
I'll just roll here and do math.
Rolled 4d6 : 5, 6, 1, 1, total 13
Rolled 4d6 : 2, 5, 1, 5, total 13
Rolled 4d6 : 5, 5, 2, 2, total 14
Rolled 4d6 : 4, 4, 4, 6, total 18
Rolled 4d6 : 3, 5, 4, 4, total 16
Rolled 4d6 : 4, 6, 2, 1, total 13

Offline FlaminCows

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2014, 05:24:17 PM »
12, 12, 12, 14, 13, 12.

I suppose I put 14 in Intelligence and 13 in Wisdom. His name is Joseph Average from the central region of Nowhere.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2014, 05:42:58 PM »
They see me rollin, they hatin

7, 10, 11, 15, 17, 17.

Not bad  :D

If I play a dwarf, I'd probably go 17 10 16 (+1 Dwarf) 11 17 6 (-1 Dwarf).  Might swap Int and Cha, have to look up whether dumping Cha is shooting myself in the foot. 

Still iffy on the dwarf thing. :p

12, 12, 12, 14, 13, 12.

I suppose I put 14 in Intelligence and 13 in Wisdom. His name is Joseph Average from the central region of Nowhere.

I don't think either of those names fit into Netheril. :lmao

We have a thread! And a subforum.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 05:45:33 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline FlaminCows

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2014, 06:46:56 PM »
What if I use accents, apostrophes, a hyphen, and a nonstandard vowel or two to give it that fantasy je ne sais quoi?

Ɉȭȿ'ǣƒ Œŵǝɼ-Ǣɉ

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2014, 06:49:35 PM »
What if I use accents, apostrophes, a hyphen, and a nonstandard vowel or two to give it that fantasy je ne sais quoi?

Ɉȭȿ'ǣƒ Œŵǝɼ-Ǣɉ

:(

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2014, 11:47:05 AM »
I'm sorry, but I think I'll have to drop out of this :( It would be fun, but I've got quite a bit on my hands right now, what with AP Tests and Finals week, and then Fanime in two-three weeks as well (so crunch time for crafting).

If you're still going in June I'll hop in if there's a spot, but... right now I can't.  :( 'm sorry guys

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2014, 11:56:55 AM »
It's fine if you get involved in June, honestly. :lmao

Offline Gazzien

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Science? Science.
    • View Profile