Author Topic: Iaijutsu Foctotum  (Read 5440 times)

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
Iaijutsu Foctotum
« on: November 07, 2011, 09:23:21 AM »
Here's my recent favorite build.  Critiques, please?  Equipment & tactics suggestions?

Human Factotum 16/Cloistered Cleric 1/Warblade 2/Master of Masks 1

LevelTotal ClassesClass FeaturesFeats
1Factotum 1Inspiration, Cunning Insight, Cunning Knowledge, TrapfindingNymph's Kiss, Font of Inspiration
2Factotum 1/CC 1Turn Undead, spells, LoreKnowledge Devotion, Travel Devotion, Trickery Devotion
3Factotum 2/CC 1Arcane DilettanteWeapon Finesse
4Factotum 3/CC 1Brains Over Brawn, Cunning Defense
5Factotum 3/CC 1/Warblade 1Battle Clarity (reflex saves), weapon aptitude, Sapphire Nightmare Blade, Sudden Leap, Steel Wind, Hunter's Stance
6Factotum 3/CC 1/Warblade 1/Master of Masks 1Persona Masks (gladiator mask, faceless)Boomerang Daze
7-19Factotum 4-16/CC 1/Warblade 1/Master of Masks 1Cunning Strike, Opportunistic Piety, Cunning Surge, Cunning Breach, Cunning Dodge, Improved Cunning DefenseAll Font of Inspiration
20Factotum 4-16/CC 1/Warblade 2/Master of Masks 1Uncanny Dodge, Iron Heart Surge

Equipment: +6 gloves, headband, cloak of charisma; +5 intelligence tome; +1 warning eager aptitude gnomish quickrazor with wand chamber & wand of nerveskitter.

Notes: Mostly SAD intelligence; you only need an 11 wisdom for your first-level CC spells (if you even care), and strength is mostly irrelevant since you're using Weapon Finesse and Iaijutsu Focus/Knowledge Devotion for damage. If you have a flaw and can take Faerie Mysteries Initiate you can even dump Con because you'll get hp from Int.  You can shut down actions with Iaijutsu Focus and Boomerang Daze (gladiator mask gives proficiency with quickrazor and boomerang), and you can force flat-footedness on opponents with Sapphire Nightmare Blade.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Mooncrow

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The man who will be Pirate King
    • View Profile
Re: Iaijutsu Foctotum
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2011, 09:40:03 AM »
What's the advantage of staying in factotum for levels 12-16?  The spells?  The abilities get pretty lackluster, and for such a melee focused build, it seems like there would be better options for those five levels. 

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2011, 09:44:10 AM »
Cunning dodge is nice, and improved cunning defense is excellent as well.  I could go with more Warblade, but the point of this character was to be all-around awesomeand skilltacular, not JUST melee.  The IF stuff makes it effective in melee.

Still, I've played a minimal number of factoti, so if those two abilities are subpar then I can switch to warblade (or something else, chameleon 2 or whatever).

Offline Soft Insanity

• Put a blanket over it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2011, 12:16:29 PM »
I went with knowledge devotion, law devotion, and luck domain for my cloistered cleric dip on Factotum.

I also don't use Iaijutsu, but have access to flaws, Keen Intellect, and faerie mysteries.  My factotum is a tank of sorts.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 12:22:44 PM by Soft Insanity »

Offline Havok4

• A Being of Malevolent Sentience
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2011, 04:09:49 PM »
You would probably do fine with a swordsage based build instead, just pick up able learner and 3 levels of factotum for the skills and int to strength and dex based checks and a first level spell.

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2011, 04:14:42 PM »
But then I wouldn't really be playing a factotum, which is kind of the point.  I love factotums.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2011, 10:01:08 PM »
Srsly, how can you say "Iaijutsu Foctotum" without Iaijutsu Master?
...Ooh, I see what you did there.

Have you tried Factotum 8 / Iaijutsu Master 5 / Master of Masks 1 / Chameleon 6?
You still get extra Standard Actions, the Gladiator Mask, dozens of skill points and total versatility. Using Domain & Runestaffs you can expend your Divine/Arcane spell slots for Devil's Ego & Righteous Aura. With a base score or 10, +6 item, and Horseshoes of Flame you'll have 30 Charisma, or an extra +90 damage with each Iaijutsu Strike and of course the +10 to initiative. And you can still buy Sneak Attack (in fact you have it though chameleon, so pick up Craven for +20 more dmg).

Offline sirpercival

• Epic Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 10:15:25 PM »
I thought IF didn't stack w/ sneak attack.

Offline Mooncrow

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • The man who will be Pirate King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2011, 10:28:43 PM »
I thought IF didn't stack w/ sneak attack.

There's no mention of it not stacking in the skill description or the errata.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2011, 11:11:59 PM »
It stacks so long as you meet their prerequisites. For instance, Flanking allows SA but not IS and you can use IS on objects but you can't with SA. But if you draw and attack a Flat-Footed foe, both tend work.

Oh, and I was off with my Craven comment. The Chameleon only gets SA though Mimic Class Feature which cannot be used to meet requirements for feats. You'll have to pick up SA some other way for Craven if you like it. If not no biggie you can still buy plenty of SA.

Edit - Here two days and I've already had to correct my self. >.>
« Last Edit: November 07, 2011, 11:14:14 PM by SorO_Lost »