Author Topic: [Discussion] Team: Leviathan  (Read 48512 times)

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
  • you can't escape the miles
    • View Profile
[Discussion] Team: Leviathan
« on: August 29, 2012, 12:41:53 AM »
For Team: Leviathan to discussify.  Your [Team] thread is here.
I am the assassin of productivity

(member in good standing of the troll-feeders guild)

It's begun — my things have overgrown the previous sig.

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
  • The devil so nice, they damned him thrice.
    • View Profile
Re: [Discussion] Team: Leviathan
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2012, 01:30:29 AM »
Alright! Now we have our super secret thread-....... I should watch what I say here, huh?  :P
I'm here and ready to keep confusing the hell out of everyone I meet.

Offline midnight_v

• It is good and fitting to die for the dice...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2012, 08:43:30 AM »
Alright! Now we have our super secret thread-....... I should watch what I say here, huh?  :P

Dunno! I'm just happy to be back in gratis  :cheers

Lets talk chars. I think you should totally stick to the Thaumarai idea. There are PLENTY of races that fit. If nothing else pick human. If you're a human tied to this kind of history, it doesn't matter all that matters is that you know the worlds "true" history.
  etc etc.

Leviathan: the Tempest
A storytelling game of Terrible Majesty

Humanity is free. The old gods are dead. But their line never ended; you descend from their spawn, you belong to the most Wicked of Tribes. Sin is in your blood, you don't know if you can control the urges and you don't even know if you want to.

Leviathan: The Tempest is s storytelling game of Terrible Majesty. You play a human with the blood of ancient primordial gods awakening in your veins. You have the power of a deity but its a wretched half power, you can destroy but not create. Hurt but not heal. Birth life but not nurture it.

You're changing. Just what are you becoming? Every loss of control marks your skin, every power you rediscover or develop lies plain on your body. Something beautiful or something terrible. God or monster or some wretched half form discarded by nature. An evolutionary dead end with nowhere to go. You're changing and you don't know where it ends.

Maybe you'll find answers. Heirlooms engraved with old lore buried under the desert. Old ideas, old memories, old secrets living in the Rift. Or maybe the only answers are in front of you; humanity has triumphed, their civilizations cover the globe while anything you're people accomplished lies burred in silt and rotting algae.

You're enemies call you an abomination; they claim your very existence is an blight on humanity. God help you, they may be right.

« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 08:48:35 AM by midnight_v »
"Disentegrate...gust of wind. Can we please get back to saving the world now?"

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2012, 02:38:04 PM »
Sorry to butt in, is the 4th slot spoken for? If not (or if 5 members is ok) I'd like to join if that's alright with you guys.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2012, 02:45:41 PM »
Sorry to butt in, is the 4th slot spoken for? If not (or if 5 members is ok) I'd like to join if that's alright with you guys.

It would be hilarious if you were a Nullblade to Flay's Thaumurai...  what did you think of Cycle Warden?

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2012, 04:11:12 PM »
The idea of a Gratis Odd Couple amuses me.

Incidently, if the whole of a team uses your homebrew do they get some kind of DM's pet suckup bonus?
(the above should in no way be taken seriously)

Looking at Cycle Warden now. I love the flavor and the way you've elegantly captured a complicated concept in D&D mechanics. Even so, it might be fiddly to play. You potentially have to keep track of half a dozen different numbers and bonuses that change on a round by round basis. That coud be mitigated by game aids, though. A table that let you cross reference your season ratings with your bonuses wouldn't be too hard to make.

Gameplay wise, I think the class would reward play skill and experience pretty sharply. Being able to leverage your ability to switch from one set of bonuses to another on the fly would take time to master but be powerful once you had it down. That's something I really like, actually, as many classes seem to reward pregame optimization more than in game skill.

Still reading through the disciplines. Is it correct to assume that Revolution has yet to be created?

Offline midnight_v

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2012, 05:16:49 PM »

It would be hilarious if you were a Nullblade to Flay's Thaumurai...  what did you think of Cycle Warden?

I applaud that Idea and CNC you're MORE than welcome. Aside from the whole leviathan thing, We're playing team evil, likend to the kingdom of wei, in the dynasty warriors franchise.
 We're trying to win the games generate enough pull and funding to buy an army so eventually we can "FORCE" societal change. We wish to establish "The Kingdom of UN" (like "june" minus the "j") so you know, its not anything goes shennanigans evil, its a group of very strong minded, loyal, and most of all pragmatic individuals, who one day intend to command thier own legions and reestablish and ancient line of rulers (abberation dudes).
  ... or something like that... :D

So yeah a null blade and a Thaumarai? Sounds freaking AWESOME, together.

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2012, 05:29:09 PM »
I like the concept, I love the Odd Couple reference (now I have to find my copy...), and I call the Jack Lemmon character as a thaumurai.

That's actually really nice, sinc the thaumurai lends aid to allies and tanks, while the nullblade is more of a support and debuff role. Dunno about the Cycle Warden, but I'm sure it'd work fine.

Now, toying with races.... building up sheet.... are we choosing chinese-sounding names, by the way? With our Wei inspiration, I thought it might be a thing, but I'm more than happy to chose something fantastic as opposed to historic.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2012, 05:36:54 PM »
The idea of a Gratis Odd Couple amuses me.
Lol.

Incidently, if the whole of a team uses your homebrew do they get some kind of DM's pet suckup bonus?
(the above should in no way be taken seriously)
Absolutely.  You get virtual pie.  :pie

Looking at Cycle Warden now. I love the flavor and the way you've elegantly captured a complicated concept in D&D mechanics. Even so, it might be fiddly to play. You potentially have to keep track of half a dozen different numbers and bonuses that change on a round by round basis. That coud be mitigated by game aids, though. A table that let you cross reference your season ratings with your bonuses wouldn't be too hard to make.
Glad you like it! Yes, that was my worry, and yes, something like that would be a great idea.  I'll see what I can come up with (or if you play one we can collaborate).

Gameplay wise, I think the class would reward play skill and experience pretty sharply. Being able to leverage your ability to switch from one set of bonuses to another on the fly would take time to master but be powerful once you had it down. That's something I really like, actually, as many classes seem to reward pregame optimization more than in game skill.
I never thought about it that way, and yes that's awesome!  Lol.  I have a prc that I created for another contest which has something similar in terms of in-game strategy -- the Enigmatician's puzzle box gives scaling benefit depending on what order you unlock the puzzles.  This is more

Still reading through the disciplines. Is it correct to assume that Revolution has yet to be created?
I'm nearly finished with it, it'll be up tonight.  Discipline feats & fluff will be up tonight or tomorrow.

Offline Flay Crimsonwind

• Legendary Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2012, 05:41:58 PM »
I'm building as a lesser aasimar, at least for now since it makes sense. Is this an issue?

Because alternatively, I'm lawful neutral (lawful crazy); I could very easily go hellbred and get the charisma/telepathy chain, to become somewhat super useful. Lesser Aasimar just has such a goody goody feel to it, which would be hysterical on a corrupt thaumurai.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2012, 05:48:26 PM by Flay Crimsonwind »

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2012, 06:06:10 PM »
Quote from: midnight_v
I applaud that Idea and CNC you're MORE than welcome.

Thanks ever so much!

Aside from the whole leviathan thing, We're playing team evil, likend to the kingdom of wei, in the dynasty warriors franchise.
 We're trying to win the games generate enough pull and funding to buy an army so eventually we can "FORCE" societal change. We wish to establish "The Kingdom of UN" (like "june" minus the "j") so you know, its not anything goes shennanigans evil, its a group of very strong minded, loyal, and most of all pragmatic individuals, who one day intend to command thier own legions and reestablish and ancient line of rulers (abberation dudes).
  ... or something like that...

This actually meshes nicely with the concept I'm kicking around for the Nullblade class: an Anthro Bat who was familiar to an asshole wizard until he got warped into a humanoid form by a freaky void creature in a dark corner of the dungeon. This happened when the wizard's party encountered and got their butts kicked by said freaky void creature (maybe one of the above mentioned abberation dudes?). Throughout his life as a familiar the bat had been pushed around and told what to do and when his master begged for help he said "no" for pretty much the first time in his life. After the FVC finished killing the party he offered to teach the bat how to say no so effectively no one could ever push him around again.

Even if the FVC in his backstory isn't directly connected to your guys' ancient rulers he would be totally on board with the "bring about an evil regime" type goal. Esp if it's the "tyrannical but just" flavor of evil regime as opposed to the "corrupt and cutthroat" one that currently runs things.

It seems like you have some backstory for the team already set? Is it written down anywhere that I could take a look at it?

So yeah a null blade and a Thaumarai? Sounds freaking AWESOME, together.

It does indeed. Mechanically, my Nullblade concept is currently looking like he'll be a debuffer who can deal some mediocre damage in combat and a scout/trap monkey type out of combat (he's probably going to invest in UMD so he'll also be good for out of combat healing). That is subject to change and/or refinement however.

Quote from: Flay Crimsonwind
are we choosing chinese-sounding names, by the way? With our Wei inspiration, I thought it might be a thing, but I'm more than happy to chose something fantastic as opposed to historic.

Hmm, I'd be interested in the answer to this too. My current character concept's current name is "Squeaky" but that can be changed if it's out of theme.

@sirpercival regarding Cycle Wardens:

Mmmm, pie!

I'll read through the rest when it goes up. I do have some thoughts on the disciplines and suchlike if you're interested but there's probably a better place for those than this thread.

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2012, 06:09:16 PM »
Agreed.

And I guess I should get working on Architect of the Twofold Way, huh?  Lol.

Offline midnight_v

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2012, 09:47:42 AM »
It seems like you have some backstory for the team already set? Is it written down anywhere that I could take a look at it?
It isn't. We talked it up over the course of a few days, we weren't sure we were going to be allowed to play as "Team Evil" so we wanted a good presentation, with the why & how.

are we choosing chinese-sounding names, by the way? With our Wei inspiration, I thought it might be a thing, but I'm more than happy to chose something fantastic as opposed to historic.
I was thinking something babylonian sounding actually. Our connection to the Wei kingdom was strictly spiritual for game, moreso I was interested in defining the TYPE of evil, that we had going on. I wanted sophisticated, and disciplined, even if violent, but not raving mad men as characters in the group.
   However, as you history so far if I'm getting you is something like: I'm of celestial descent, but think diffrerently and have my own tenets of right/wrong and most of all about what is "just/honorable". So much so that on my journey to find myself I've found myself a monster, and amongst monsters, I have purpose and peace. Or what not.

The cool thing about that is in my is in my head a thaumarai, is a gish from the rokugan. So you having an asian sounding name fits the idea in my head already, but if you had an angel sounding name that'd work too.

Hmm, I'd be interested in the answer to this too. My current character concept's current name is "Squeaky" but that can be changed if it's out of theme.

My characters name is
Rek-fel (The Mind Render) and was initially based fully on this guy: Greel, the mind raker

My character has a grand scheme in mind and wants these guys to manage armies one day. If your name is "sqeeky" Thats your name. However, he'd end up giving you a title or something to make it sound more Majestic or whatever to the followers.
Babylonian Names

Finally:
he offered to teach the bat how to say no so effectively no one could ever push him around again.

Sounds really fucking awesome.  :clap
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:21:41 AM by midnight_v »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2012, 09:58:35 AM »
So midnight you're playing a wilder-cum-telepath?  And we have a Nullblade & a Thaumurai; what's Molochio going to play, class-wise?

Offline midnight_v

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2012, 10:23:45 AM »
So midnight you're playing a wilder-cum-telepath?  And we have a Nullblade & a Thaumurai; what's Molochio going to play, class-wise?
He's a multi-class "rogue". He still needs to make an account here at minmaxboards, but should be done today. You won't have to wait very long. He's actually pretty much got the build all flushed out too. He's making sure all the skills are in order. Let me give him a call actually... brb.

Edit: Wilder-cum-telepath. LOL something like that. Its hard because trying to fit the proper feats together is a thing but its really much better now that We get an extra power each level, that revision is the main reason I"m playing one.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 10:26:30 AM by midnight_v »

Offline sirpercival

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2012, 10:32:21 AM »
Sublime Rogue?  Rogue itself with my fix?  Spellthief?  Sneak monster-class?  Swordsage?  :D

By the way, I have no idea if it interests you, but I was recently reminded of my homebrew prc the Primal Soul, which is for Wilder/Totemists.

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 30, 2012, 10:53:46 AM »
Don't know if this is going to matter in game but I thought I'd toss it out there:

Nullblade can take an Invocation that makes it very good at opening doors and disabling traps. However, it lacks Trapfinding.

So, for optimization purposes, if Malochio's Rogue is the sort of Rogue with Trapfinding, he could save SP by maxing search and leaving the DD role to me. That's assuming trapfinding is going to play a role in the campaign, of course.

Offline midnight_v

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2012, 11:05:00 AM »
Sublime Rogue?  Rogue itself with my fix?  Spellthief?  Sneak monster-class?  Swordsage?  :D

By the way, I have no idea if it interests you, but I was recently reminded of my homebrew prc the Primal Soul, which is for Wilder/Totemists.
I looked at that... I liked it.
I just can't bring myself relearn incarnum, and don't want to lose any caster level. There were a few other things that irked me about it, but it is well designed.

Talked to Molochio. His build is:
Changeling -
Aftercrescent Ninja 1
Rogue 1
SS 4
Flaw Feat: Aberation Blood
Flaw Feat: Deep Spawn
1: 2 wpn fighting
3: Darkstalker
6: Maiming Strike? or Multi-attack? not sure.

Molochio.... is not trapfinding so its all about you, brethren!
He was just talking about trading that out. lol.
I'm likely a wilder 6, I'm still figuring it all out.
Charater spends most of his time disguised as a kelvezu demon.

Offline Garryl

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 30, 2012, 11:15:47 AM »
Of course he's trading out trapfinding. He has it twice (once from Rogue, once from Ninja). Also a non-stacking Wisdom to AC ability twice (Swordsage and Ninja), although I don't think there are any ACFs to trade those out.

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 30, 2012, 03:17:33 PM »
Well, if he has the points to put in Search that would be helpful because I don't get Trapfinding at all unless I multiclass and I'm kinda digging straight Nullblade right now. So if we're going use Rogue style trapfinding as opposed to Monk style trapfinding, I'll need backup from someone with the actual class feature.

Of course, Nullblade is actually pretty good at Monk style Trapfinding too, what with having all saves based on my ridiculous wis modifier, geting Evasion and Mettle, and having d10 HD. I'm not sure if I can use Nullify against traps but if I can we may not even need a trapfinder.