Author Topic: High End OOC thread III-Separations of Doom  (Read 168552 times)

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
Re: High End OOC thread III-Separations of Doom
« Reply #120 on: July 17, 2016, 11:10:14 AM »
Soro:Baha can move into the next room to unleash fire breath.

Although right now Katherine is positioned surrounded by the marauders, so dropping an atomic attack  there would imply friendly fire.

@osle: Just for clarity, wouldn't the drones have seen that hiding marauder get of out hiding before it attacked? She has drones in opposite sides of the area. Especially considering Mao cannot be flatfooted.
The marauder was taking care to hide out of all evident drone's lines of sight, Katherine spotted it because she herself was sneaking.

Still wondering about the scale/whether summoning an absolutely huge robot is appropriate.
So far the entire place looks immense. In every direction.

MU Gigantic. 128 times Medium. 768'/234m is always going to be a question of 'will it fit', as I'm pretty sure Deceptively Innocent Form/Monster Lord don't transfer over to mecha. :lmao

The areas you're in are roughly 300 feet high/wide, but the passages between them are more about only 30 feet high/wide.

And no non-mecha abilities that would change a mecha's size specifically don't work.

A bit late to this discussion but I would like to point out that in America there were multiple highly developed civilizations with neither the wheel or iron working.
Technically that has to for with the the types of animals that could be domesticated. North America had llamas which have very poor work loads which means no beasts of burden for agriculture or transportation innovation. And one of the side effects of that is not needing a heavy material's durability that can withstand such an animal.
The first war chariots in history were pulled by donkeys. And iron/bronze was first used for cutting tools long before anyone started to think about adding metal acessories to big pets.

Also the mayans and incas had pretty developed agriculture and roads. And they built giant stone pyramids, so carrying around big weights was a priority for them.

And working out metalworking is a matter of luck.
Perhaps, how the hell people figured out the proccess to start with is a fascinating field of study, but it still supports my point. Some civilizations developed smithing millennia ago, while others didn't until the smithing civilizations arrived and stabbed/diseased them all millennia later.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 17, 2016, 11:48:13 AM »
Soro:Baha can move into the next room to unleash fire breath.
Sweet and updated.
I also realized Command & Conquer would let me reuse Ten Suns again which would probably be pretty handy. I think I'll use it offensively through.

The first war chariots in history were pulled by donkeys. And iron/bronze was first used for cutting tools long before anyone started to think about adding metal acessories to big pets.
Donkeys != llamas and even the North American Indianans around Mexico were familiar with bronze working. But the southerns couldn't produce enough agriculture so they turned to cannibalism & ritual sacrifice to push their population numbers down.

How civilization started is a cool area of study, but the actual field of study isn't based on mythology or assuming people are different but the land and things discovered in it was different. Like we all started in Africa and migrated outwards from there, the ones that made it over to Europe found all kinds of animals they could domesticate. Simply because they had an easier life they progressed faster and had the needs to progress since ownership and thus the protection of stuff that wasn't readily on your back became more and more of a big thing.

And because they lived with their animals they had what at the time was a huge disadvantage that when a bug mutated and jumped from live stock to the human population the various plagues kept wiping them out in the so called "white man's disease". Later on the population that survived became pretty much toxic to anyone who hadn't built up antigens to the various accumulated bugs which gave them a guilt free way to mass murder most of North America through obviously there are some people that think otherwise on that whole guiltless part.

Obviously that's a pretty short tl;dr read that's pretty much the gist of it. It all comes back to who had the animals to help them make alcohol.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 12:07:51 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 17, 2016, 02:10:44 PM »
You know, looking on those arguments back and forth it's kinda eerie how Civilization turns out to be an accurate game that way.

You know, except for the possibility of the British building Himeji Castle or whatever.
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 17, 2016, 03:51:14 PM »
The marauder was taking care to hide out of all evident drone's lines of sight, Katherine spotted it because she herself was sneaking.
I'm not sure I get the logic. When you're moving out of hiding you need to roll the usual hide n' move silently checks. If you attack you're under the sniping hide penalties.
And even then you'd see the spiraling attack go out of nowhere to destroy you, probably seeing where it came from even if you cannot see the source itself since the attack isn't unseen. The sneaky attack that kills you without you even knowing what happened would require being flat-footed, no?

Just for future reference.

Also, to get a better idea of what happened, the drone did 5 attacks on all the mobs of marauders, minus the one hiding, or perhaps they had reformed back to normal in-between drone waves since they splitted off again. Or when they split they got destroyed since the hiding marauder respawned them? Now there is a new batch of marauders but it isn't clear if they got respawned back into non-mob form like maybe before or were already in mob form?

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 17, 2016, 04:37:16 PM »
I'm not sure I get the logic. When you're moving out of hiding you need to roll the usual hide n' move silently checks. If you attack you're under the sniping hide penalties.
And even then you'd see the spiraling attack go out of nowhere to destroy you, probably seeing where it came from even if you cannot see the source itself since the attack isn't unseen. The sneaky attack that kills you without you even knowing what happened would require being flat-footed, no?
The second hide check for sniping is specifically only rolled after the shot is resolved. Thus targets eliminated by the attack do not get a second spot opportunity.

Not being flat-footed means that you get to keep Dex bonus to AC and immunity to sneak attacks, super automatic reflexes that do not rely on sight and stuff. Still does not allow free spot rolls.

Just for future reference.

Also, to get a better idea of what happened, the drone did 5 attacks on all the mobs of marauders, minus the one hiding, or perhaps they had reformed back to normal in-between drone waves since they splitted off again. Or when they split they got destroyed since the hiding marauder respawned them? Now there is a new batch of marauders but it isn't clear if they got respawned back into non-mob form like maybe before or were already in mob form?

3 marauders go down with one hit each. Drones destroyed. When 2nd wave of drones arrive three identical marauders up. Again disappear in one hit each. Fourth marauder produces 3 marauders. You would need martial lore for more details.

Mob form is never mentioned in my posts, plus they're only 3-4, not enough to get the mob template.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: July 17, 2016, 04:45:07 PM »
Not being flat-footed means that you get to keep Dex bonus to AC and immunity to sneak attacks, super automatic reflexes that do not rely on sight and stuff. Still does not allow free spot rolls.
Little ambiguous there and it sounds like you're going down the spot path.

Actually you can't use Immediate Actions against anyone that has Total-Concealment against you, the ruling is buried in the RC somewhere. So when you mean "super automatic reflexes" you should mean something like it has some kind of equivalent of WoL's Cunning which totally negates the Flat-Footed condition in some form or another. Ready & Contingencies can still resolve, though Ready is more of an intent thing since you can use it to resole smacking a Shadow hiding in a wall before it hits you.

Likewise the penalties Anomander spoke of are about remaining hidden while performing those actions. If you move afterwards and still remain in sight you can make another Hide Check and if you finish moving behind something you're still hidden simply because LoS is obstructed regardless of your penalty or desire to even make the check.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 04:48:34 PM by SorO_Lost »

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: July 17, 2016, 06:02:18 PM »
@Oslecamo

Was my Alert Spirit and 20% miss chance already taken into account?

Nevermind, read rolling thread. Guess I gotta deal with this crap.

Also I need to take my real turn now x.x

I CAN'T FIGHT THESE SOMEBODY SAVE KATHERINE  :o

Legitimately cannot reduce the damage enough to save my Nanoarmor, thus rendering me out of the fight.....
Anybody got a "save my team mate" counter like I do? >.>

Oh my gawd ketaro you're such a blind dumb butt YOU HAVE DR DAMMIT

Aight, false alarm. Hit my panic button way fast there -_-'

I also solved Soro's friendly fire problem (not that he acknowledged it to be a problem) by backpeddling out of the area just as Baha comes in with fiery atomic death from above :p
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 07:10:47 PM by ketaro »

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: July 17, 2016, 07:10:33 PM »
Still does not allow free spot rolls.
Merely going out of hiding would, though. The only reason a spot check wasn't rolled to begin with was because he had total concealment conferred by the terrain, making him impossible to see. Moving to get line of effect for his attacks makes him spot-table before his movement is even completed. That applies before the attack, and the sniping.

Mob form is never mentioned in my posts, plus they're only 3-4, not enough to get the mob template.
My bad. The description made it seem like that was the case.
"Then the fallen unknown marauders deconstruct themselves into what appears millions of minuscle bots"
"But again the marauders simply deconstruct themselves into millions of minuscle bots again"

Millions make a pretty impressive mob/swarm. I felt like they were still in the fight in the form of a big group of mini-bots.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 07:12:25 PM by Anomander »

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: July 17, 2016, 07:12:56 PM »
To me, that description sounds like the Ancient Temple counter than turns you into a bunch of petals to dodge an attack. Or the Divine Flame one that turns you into light or w/e to also dodge attacks. They're probably just using counters.

Also, Os' retroactive post for my Counter does mention Mao is able to see the Maruader that was hiding because I stopped it from hiding or whatever so isn't it moot to argue now?

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 17, 2016, 07:17:43 PM »
Is there anything going on that would make "run in and hit people with a sword with a spring attack full attack" nonviable? I'm so confused by the rules discussion. :lmao

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: July 17, 2016, 07:20:14 PM »
Just get in and out either before or after Baha's breath weapon.

Other than that, I don't know if there are any other enemies within sight except the 4 Marauders that Katherine got caught in.

Oh, I might've made it difficult by pooting a Fog Cloud made of flowers on those same Marauders. It's also questionable whether they're alive after Katherine & Baha did their things.....

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: July 17, 2016, 08:04:05 PM »
Stab whatever's left? Everything's a bluuuuuuuuuuur at those speeds.

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: July 17, 2016, 08:25:16 PM »
isn't it moot to argue now?
It's for future reference. Don't want to wonder how things are meant to go next time someone wants to use stealth tactics. If they can abuse it like that so can we.

Mao is unseen by them right now. Those that get killed by a drone sent the turn it appears would similarly not know what killed them. And that doesn't make much sense.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 02:08:24 AM by Anomander »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: July 17, 2016, 08:27:00 PM »
isn't it moot to argue now?
It's for future reference. Don't want to wonder how things are meant to go next time someone wants to use stealth tactics. If they can abuse it like that so can we.

The thought of Amaterasu hiding. :lmao

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: July 18, 2016, 07:12:01 AM »
Still does not allow free spot rolls.
Merely going out of hiding would, though. The only reason a spot check wasn't rolled to begin with was because he had total concealment conferred by the terrain, making him impossible to see. Moving to get line of effect for his attacks makes him spot-table before his movement is even completed. That applies before the attack, and the sniping.
It rolled well enough for Mao to auto-fail spot at first. Then rolled badly enough for Katherine (and Mao) to auto-succeed when taking in account the -20 sniping penalty.

My bad. The description made it seem like that was the case.
"Then the fallen unknown marauders deconstruct themselves into what appears millions of minuscle bots"
"But again the marauders simply deconstruct themselves into millions of minuscle bots again"

Millions make a pretty impressive mob/swarm. I felt like they were still in the fight in the form of a big group of mini-bots.
It was supposed to be a more sci-fi version of "turn to fine dust". And mob template has an upper member limit some 4 orders of magnitude lower.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: July 18, 2016, 06:28:54 PM »
I think I might be missing out on damage, since I'm apparently using a holy weapon. Might not be, though.

Got bored, once again calculated speed. The entirety of that post (due to zeal and round times) takes place at either 60 or 300mph. :lmao
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 09:10:33 PM by Raineh Daze »

Offline Anomander

• Legendary Member
  • I did it to feel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: July 23, 2016, 01:21:36 PM »
Oh, I'm waiting for Kuro to post. I want to make sure everything's covered.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 23, 2016, 03:58:38 PM »
And I'm waiting for Ols to post because that'll be a good sign we're back to moving forward and it's the start of another round.

Offline Kuroimaken

• Epic Member
  • No obstacle too great for the FLAMES IN MY HEART!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 23, 2016, 11:24:03 PM »
I think Osle might be waiting on me.
Kami darou ga akuma darou ga, ore no michi ni tateru mono NASHI!!

Give me internets. Now.

Offline oslecamo

• Honorary Mod
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: July 24, 2016, 06:45:05 AM »
On Kuro and Anomander yes. And Anomander says he's waiting for Kuro.