Author Topic: Faster Paced PbP Campaign interest check  (Read 52609 times)

Offline Concerned Ninja Citizen

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
Re: Faster Paced PbP Campaign interest check
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2013, 06:17:20 AM »
To clarify: Spells, powers, SLAs, and breath weapons used by a pilot cannot affect anything outside that pilot's mecha/ship unless it is an arcane/divine mecha/ship?

How about alternative magic systems? Specifically Incarnum/Power of Cybernetics.

Anyway, tenatively leaning towards a Divine Pilot for the SRW side with a few ideas flying about for the other side.

Mercane fluffed as entrepreneurial aliens seems like fun, or possibly the Undying Court Progression as... undead alien priest dudes.

Just to make it clear, pilots/officers cannot channel abilities that affect people outside the mecha whitout some special kind of system (clarified it under Mecha Basics), except for martial maneuvers. If you want to be able to shoot out spells and scrolls to others from inside your battleship, you would need at least one level of Arcane Pilot (use the Ship Captain-Super Pilot multiclassing rules, apply the stat changes from Arcane Pilot).

Hrm...after reading my 2nd officer ability, that makes a lot more sense. I missed the part where the only input an officer can have is using Spirits. In that case, can I read scrolls/cast infusions directly on my battleship? If so, I can still handle the support role, I just can't shoot giant prototype lasers of doom beyond the normal "bane" infusion.

Since Maneuvers can be channeled without difficulty, Warcrafter might allow you to do the artificer thing and fire scrolls/wands without running afoul of the restrictions.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 06:22:03 AM by Concerned Ninja Citizen »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2013, 06:28:44 AM »

Does Craft count as a physical skill? It involves using your hands.

Also, if Maneuvers can be used outside  the ship, is there some way I can utilise Divine Flame? I know I'm giving the Mecha all the Sentient upgrades. :smirk

WIP

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

HD, which will shortly start screaming about being tampered with:

Rolled 11d12+12 : 11, 5, 9, 5, 6, 2, 1, 4, 11, 6, 4 + 12, total 76

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2013, 06:36:02 AM »
Does Craft count as a physical skill? It involves using your hands.

I believe a physical skill is a skill governed by a physical ability (str,dex,con.) Craft is governed by int.

Offline SorO_Lost

• Epic Member
  • Banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 20, 2013, 07:27:22 AM »
Next random "guess" as they are defined at this point.
Doesn't-Matter-Race Nuclear Dragon 12 // Arcane Pilot 12

I have no idea if being a Dragon is even worth while seeing how I just got tossed a book on mechs I'm supposed to read. Actually wondering if being a Rust Monster and sundering everything in sight is a better option at this point.

Offline ShadowViper

• Don't go looking for snakes, you might find them.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 20, 2013, 07:34:39 AM »
Think I'm a bit late to the party, but definitely interested.

My vote is Elder Evils, when playing D&D, I'm fan of traditional high fantasy, rather than sci-fi.

Edit: And after further thread reading it seems the sci-fi options have already won, which is a shame.

Don't suppose anyone would be up for running a high-paced "traditional" or "normal" D&D(or better yet, Pathfinder) game?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 07:43:16 AM by ShadowViper »
I hear it's amazing when the famous purple stuffed worm in flap-jaw space with the tuning fork does a raw blink on Hara-Kiri rock! I need scissors! 61!

" 'Giving up' kills people. When a person refuses to give up, he earns the right to walk down the road of humanity." - Alucard

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2013, 07:35:59 AM »
I have no idea if being a Dragon is even worth while seeing how I just got tossed a book on mechs I'm supposed to read. Actually wondering if being a Rust Monster and sundering everything in sight is a better option at this point.

That just sounds depressing to include. :(

EDIT: Depends on the restrictions imposed. See, when it comes to fantasy, I'm trying to find an opportunity to use some more of Os's stuff to create someone that can tank anything with minimal damage, which involves two PrC's and a crafting mechanic. XD
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 07:46:27 AM by Raineh Daze »

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2013, 08:04:57 AM »
A build begins to take shape:

Divine Pilot 12 // Mercane 5, Monster of Legend 2, Scholar 5

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 08:31:24 AM by Concerned Ninja Citizen »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2013, 08:22:34 AM »
... above, I meant to ask if Maneuvers normally used on foot can be useable with the mecha.

Reposting stuff here so I can edit. XD

WIP

Anthromorphic Animal 6/Titanic Creature 2/Monster of Legend 2/Warblade 2//Super Pilot 12

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 09:45:46 AM by Raineh Daze »

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2013, 08:28:59 AM »
I'm still kinda new here, but I was wondering if I could maybe join too?

I've been really itching for a fast paced game as I currently have a horrible amount of free time and I've read through all the stuff related to the pilot material that apparently would be getting used here; probably still have a question or two about some of it though. I don't know if I could keep up from an optimization standpoint compared to some of you, but I have a build already thought of... >.>

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
  • Creating monsters for my Realm of Darkness
    • View Profile
    • Oslecamo's Custom Library (my homebrew)
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2013, 08:40:37 AM »
Added Amplifier acessory to the robot Arsenal, for those that just want to use a few SLAs/breath weapons/gazes/etc.

Just to make it clear, pilots/officers cannot channel abilities that affect people outside the mecha whitout some special kind of system (clarified it under Mecha Basics), except for martial maneuvers. If you want to be able to shoot out spells and scrolls to others from inside your battleship, you would need at least one level of Arcane Pilot (use the Ship Captain-Super Pilot multiclassing rules, apply the stat changes from Arcane Pilot).

Hrm...after reading my 2nd officer ability, that makes a lot more sense. I missed the part where the only input an officer can have is using Spirits. In that case, can I read scrolls/cast infusions directly on my battleship? If so, I can still handle the support role, I just can't shoot giant prototype lasers of doom beyond the normal "bane" infusion.
That would fall into the "Mechas ignore all non-damage effects produced by non-mecha sources unless they affect an area bigger than the mecha itself." So unless you take the arcane pilot dip, a simple scroll cannot buff a whole battleship (altough you can still buff yourself).

Also: Do I gain the benefit of my own Leader feats?
No.

Ah. Initially, I was thinking something about a pseudo-dragon 1 Sniper 19// Soulknife 5- Paragon 15, but if we are going mechas, very well !
I'll give a look to all that.

EDIT :
so, the battleship is already taken.
Concerning the non-mecha side, I'm thinking about Pseudo-dragon 1- Soulknife (with the Mind arrow feat  4- Parangon 7. Yes, a flying glorified Lizard that think he is a dragon, and even the best one ever : after all, he does not even need a breath to kill you, he will throw bullets with HIS MIND. :smirk
I am going for range. I don't know yet if I'm going Super or Real pilot.
question : is the divine pilot can be adapted to get a "Soulbow" mecha : no spells, but basically manifesting ammo like a Soulbow ?
Mind Arrow feat sounds good.

A divine pilot that gets soulbow ammo instead of spells sounds good as well.

How about alternative magic systems? Specifically Incarnum/Power of Cybernetics.
I wouldn't really call Incarnum/Power of Cybernetics "magic system". From what I've seen of it so far, I would say it's ok to allow them to apply to your mechas.

Anyway, tenatively leaning towards a Divine Pilot for the SRW side with a few ideas flying about for the other side.

Mercane fluffed as entrepreneurial aliens seems like fun, or possibly the Undying Court Progression as... undead alien priest dudes.
Both sound interesting character concepts.

Since Maneuvers can be channeled without difficulty, Warcrafter might allow you to do the artificer thing and fire scrolls/wands without running afoul of the restrictions.
Ahahaha... No. Warcrafter and its "Throw spells faster than anybody else" schools are not allowed.

Next random "guess" as they are defined at this point.
Doesn't-Matter-Race Nuclear Dragon 12 // Arcane Pilot 12
Sounds good.

Pfft, metal stuff is so barbaric. Most constructions on the setting are refined plastics/ceramics/composite carbon. :p

Don't suppose anyone would be up for running a high-paced "traditional" or "normal" D&D(or better yet, Pathfinder) game?
See below.

EDIT: Depends on the restrictions imposed. See, when it comes to fantasy, I'm trying to find an opportunity to use some more of Os's stuff to create someone that can tank anything with minimal damage, which involves two PrC's and a crafting mechanic. XD
My Nintendo spin-off currently just needs one more 8th level character to get started (and one extra on top of that wouldn't hurt either, since only 2 players are ready to go right now). It will be strongly based on the Fire Emblem series, that's as close as "traditional" fantasy as you can get (guys and gals with swords and spears and axes and magic fighting bandits and monsters and exploring the land while taking everything that's not nailed down).

And of course it would follow this "1 week tops" rule.

... above, I meant to ask if Maneuvers normally used on foot can be useable with the mecha.

Yes. Mecha are made for physical combat!

I'm still kinda new here, but I was wondering if I could maybe join too?

I've been really itching for a fast paced game as I currently have a horrible amount of free time and I've read through all the stuff related to the pilot material that apparently would be getting used here; probably still have a question or two about some of it though. I don't know if I could keep up from an optimization standpoint compared to some of you, but I have a build already thought of... >.>
Go ahead. If there's big enough interest and enough characters ready until next Friday, I may just make two parties!

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2013, 08:50:04 AM »
Go ahead. If there's big enough interest and enough characters ready until next Friday, I may just make two parties!

Thanks! :D

So I was thinking Real Pilot 12//Moon Vanguard 12. Would that work? Could the bonus pilot feats from either class count for both (when in the nano armor for the latter) ? Would the Spirit point gain be cumulative between both or simply the one that grants the higher number per level only?

Edit: If the Moon Vanguard's Nano Armor is emulating a Super Robot, does it also get the upgrade points to apply Upgrades?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 09:07:00 AM by ketaro »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2013, 08:51:18 AM »
Hmm. If Divine Flame maneuvers are used within a mecha, is it the mecha or the pilot that takes Heat (since I don't think the Mecha have any way to get a CON score... unless Sentient + Imprint pulls it off)?

I can't remember if an increase in size = increase in natural armour by one. Hm.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 09:02:13 AM by Raineh Daze »

• Legendary Member
  • I am Concerned
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2013, 09:23:13 AM »
I can't remember if an increase in size = increase in natural armour by one. Hm.

Not unless the class specifies that it does.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2013, 09:25:05 AM »
The FAQ says that if you go above colossal, you get the natural armour bonus regardless of the class. Strange.

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2013, 09:41:25 AM »
As a general reminder, you can still benefit from your Pilot feats and spirits when outside your mecha.

Thanks! :D

So I was thinking Real Pilot 12//Moon Vanguard 12. Would that work?
Matrioska Mecha? :psyduck

Do it! :D

Could the bonus pilot feats from either class count for both (when in the nano armor for the latter) ?
Yes.

Would the Spirit point gain be cumulative between both or simply the one that grants the higher number per level only?
Higher number per level.

Edit: If the Moon Vanguard's Nano Armor is emulating a Super Robot, does it also get the upgrade points to apply Upgrades?
Of course.

The FAQ says that if you go above colossal, you get the natural armour bonus regardless of the class. Strange.
Depends on the creature, in particular when stuff like the Titanic creature is already gaining bonus to Con that will usually apply to your Nat armor.

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 20, 2013, 09:51:06 AM »
Oh, right: how is enchanting being done? +'s and effects seperately, or rolled together?

-May have missed that.-

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 20, 2013, 10:09:36 AM »
I just noticed that there is no Maneuvers Readied column for the pilot classes. So how do maneuvers work for them? Are all maneuvers known always ready and thus your only real limit is until your mech runs out of energy?

Also, I saw that you are allowing Traits & Flaws, but which ones/where? The ones from Unearthed Arcana?
And the limit on those is two each, right?

Edit: And as cheesy as may be aside; I'm wanting Ancient Temple off Moon Vanguard. The youkai-forged blades thus get considered as built in to the Nano Armor and I'm considered proficient with them regardless. So, I can count something like a bastard sword as a one handed weapon since I'm technically proficient with it due to it being built into the Nano Armor, yes? If I also have Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting, making a one-handed weapon in my off-hand count as a light weapon for TWF, couldn't I then effectively be dual-wielding my cheesy katanas/bastard swords as if I were doing a normal one-handed+light weapon combo (i.e. -2/-2 ) ? <.<
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 10:45:03 AM by ketaro »

Offline oslecamo

• DnD Handbook Writer
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 20, 2013, 10:47:10 AM »
Oh, right: how is enchanting being done? +'s and effects seperately, or rolled together?

-May have missed that.-

Let's go with rolled togheter.

I just noticed that there is no Maneuvers Readied column for the pilot classes. So how do maneuvers work for them? Are all maneuvers known always ready and thus your only real limit is until your mech runs out of energy?
Yes.

Also, I saw that you are allowing Traits & Flaws, but which ones/where? The ones from Unearthed Arcana?
And the limit on those is two each, right?
One Trait and two Flaws

Edit: And as cheesy as may be aside; I'm wanting Ancient Temple off Moon Vanguard. The youkai-forged blades thus get considered as built in to the Nano Armor and I'm considered proficient with them regardless. So, I can count something like a bastard sword as a one handed weapon since I'm technically proficient with it due to it being built into the Nano Armor, yes? If I also have Oversized Two-Weapon Fighting, making a one-handed weapon in my off-hand count as a light weapon for TWF, couldn't I then effectively be dual-wielding my cheesy katanas/bastard swords as if I were doing a normal one-handed+light weapon combo? <.<
That can hardly be considered cheese, it's just a bit more damage. Go ahead dual-wielding oversized swords. Just remember you can't pick an immortal base race if you go Ancient Temple.

Offline ketaro

• Epic Member
  • I'm always new!
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 20, 2013, 10:56:00 AM »
Maybe I've just not seen enough cheese then, haha.
Thanks for clearing that up.

I was just going to do a standard human. I do like my bonus feat.

Edit: For the Spirit stuff, Real Pilot grants more spirit points than Moon Vanguard so I'd be gaining points at the Pilots rate, but if I emulate Super Pilot with Moon Vanguard can I pick Super Pilot Spirits when I normally get to for that class and would they or would they not have the +20% spirit point cost applied?

And to add to that, could I use Super Pilot Spirits granted from Moon Vanguard on the Real Pilot's mecha and vice-versa?

Edit2: Sorry, seems I am having more questions than I thought....
For Nano Armor, what does it mean that "Damage dealt to you is first absorbed by your armor and only then to your HP". Does it mean that if I take 10 damage, both the Armor and myself take 10 damage (minus DR) ? Or that I take no damage until I remove the Armor or it is destroyed?

Edit3:  :???
The mech special properties like Regeneration or Reactor, does "X/10" mean if I have, say, Reactor 1, I regen 1/10 or 10% of my max energy each round? What then if I have Reactor 10? Isn't that 100% of my max energy regened every round?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 12:51:28 PM by ketaro »

Offline Raineh Daze

• Epic Member
  • hi
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 20, 2013, 12:43:31 PM »
... oh, hey, we're starting at a high enough level I can start throwing miniaturised-but-still-large stars around.

From a mecha.

Awesome.